Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Mediocre? Well, being medocire got her into second.
    I agree and Miki was poised out there today and turned in a very nice performance. Alissa can skate better than she did today and hopefully will do so in the LP.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I'm glad there isn't too much complaining about the Russian ladies being overscored, because the both of them skated exceptionally. The fact that Russians are doing so well here is NOT because the judges are overscoring them, but because of a very well documented and observed phenomenon in sports known as home field advantage. It happens in all kinds of sports, most of which aren't judged. Athletes tend to perform better in their home country or hometown because they're more familiar with the surroundings, and most of all, because the crowd support is there. Is it really a surprise that people perform better when there are hundreds of people wishing them well and cheering them on directly?

Of course, there are athletes, including many skaters, who in fact buckled under hometown/country expectations/pressure/scrutiny, and performed worse than usual. But overall, the home field advantage is far more likely to be a boon. And it's a credit to the spirit of the Russian skaters here as well as their supporters that most of the Russian competitors rode the support to greater heights.

And let this be a reminder that showing your support to your favorite athletes make a difference!

Custom Title
    According to story from Mr.Sato,Mao's peaking was great toward March,but due to be postponed,she's not been in good shape. Besides from a book published in Japan,she has an event before a competition that she can't any jumps and that has to be it. Anyway,I'm praying for her tomorrow.

Edgy Details
    I have a comment concerning step sequences. I loved how Alissa's steps were built in her program. They came 'unnoticed', as they were not a seperate element, but a part of whole performance. They matched the music without any excessive, rigid body movements - this is, unfortunately a rarity today. In contrasts - Rachel's steps. I enjoy a lot her EoE SP, but the steps are a bit too much - all over the place without any connection with music.

I also love Carolina's SP this year, but I think her flip was URed. Actually she often URs jumps that she falls on, but she never gets penalized for that.

/(^.^)/\(^.^)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
    BTW, if someone has a linky for Ando's SP, pls post. TIA.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvJLFLlXHxM

Tripping on the Podium
    The judging was OK at this event. I am not sure what people, complaining about Russian skaters, are smoking. Both Makarova and Leonova showed up great and deserved the scores. I like that unlike in Men's event, we actually have some competition from 1 to all the way to 10 places.

Tripping on the Podium
    Brian Orser is now my favorite Canadian, after Ike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    Repped. Thanks.

Custom Title
    I did feel that, artistically, Yu-Na was the best so if she had the highest PCS I'm okay with that (and I didn't like this program in practice). The little touches here and there, the way she moved...all of it felt substantial and well done. Miki's jumps were better executed but she had an easier solo jump, and it's hard to say that her PCS and non-jump elements should have ranked higher than Yu-Na's. I haven't blown my top because their scores are practically tied and each one has an equal chance at winning if they bring it tomorrow. I wouldn't have complained if Miki had scored higher, though, because that's the automatic reaction you have when there's been a visible mistake...you want that person to score lower than someone who's visibly error-free.

And please, Makarova was definitely overscored (same with Gachinski, who I saw for the first time last night and found appalling). I see the build-up's beginning for the Russian skaters leading up to Sochi just as it did for the Canadian skaters leading up to Vancouver. If Makarova had executed that SP at some other event in some other country and without that kind of crowd support, she would not have scored that high. Kudos to her for landing that 3-3, though, as the first 3T has to be the lowest jump I've seen executed by a senior lady in some time.

I shudder to think about the kind of overscoring the Russian babies will be receiving once they move up to seniors no matter how well they skate. Even Yu-Na may not be able to withstand that onslaught with rep scoring.

Rinkside
    Please don't take this the wrong way are you a skater?

Custom Title
    I miss Lady sp due to meeting, I just has a chance to watch the video.

I'm so happy with Miki result, I think she will be 5-6 points lower than the leader but it turn out to be very close competition. She gave an interview that her body condition is not good, and I think that reflect on her performance today. This is not Miki's best, I feel that she begin to get try in the second half of the program. This make me worry whether she will de able to deliver the long program. I will cheer her with all my heart.

I forgot to comment that even her technique and skating is not in top-form, but I think the presentation today is really good, May be one of the best that I have seen from her.

For Yuna, I don't mind much about her score or placement, my only complain is that she should receive -3 for her Lutz. I'm think +1 for her lutz was a mistake as the same judge give her 0 GOEs on her combo. However, I feel a bit disappoint that she is not as great as she was, may be the result of nervousness?.

By the way, I think the one who should get highest PCS and was underscored is Alisa. Everything in her performance is just right. The most beautiful skating skills, spin and program of all ladies. Hope she will do the LP that judge can't resist to place her on podium.

Lastly, I'm so glad for Leonova. I used to think she is underscore, but this time she delivered and get to skate in last group!!!. I don't know if this is caused by home field adventage and she gave a good skate and I'm so happy for her.

p.s.Poor Mao. But I will never count her out, in 2007 she also fall behind the leader by ten point and then gave fantastic skate in LP. She can do it this time too.
    Last edited by treeloving; 04-29-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinga View Post
    I have a comment concerning step sequences. I loved how Alissa's steps were built in her program. They came 'unnoticed', as they were not a seperate element, but a part of whole performance. They matched the music without any excessive, rigid body movements - this is, unfortunately a rarity today. In contrasts - Rachel's steps. I enjoy a lot her EoE SP, but the steps are a bit too much - all over the place without any connection with music.

I completely agree! Footwork can be gorgeous, but it's so rare these days to find skaters (and their choreographers) who integrate it into both the music and the skating. Nothing against Rachael, but East of Eden is such a flowing piece, and that footwork is not relevant to the music. Whereas Alissa's short this year is a tremendously well-integrated piece.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    A mohawk is a step as specified by the rules, and she changes edges a couple of times before entering that. It's not an intricate entry into the 3lutz, but she absolutely did do her 3lutz right after executing a step as defined by the rules.
    LOL, what exactly are you watching? Yu-Na had absolutely no transition at all before her intended 3Lutz combination, as per usual (not a bad thing, it just is what it is). Once that jumping pass failed to be a combination because of the step out, it became the solo jump of her program. Thus, it deserved -3 GOE across the board. I pointed out to higher ups a couple years ago that judges were not applying this rule properly and ISU specifically made it a point in the rule revisions for this season to remind judges that they must apply the -GOE in the Short Program when there is no transition before the solo jump.

Judges are sometimes still not doing it, though. Very frustrating. Nobunari Oda's 4Toe with a step out at this Championship (with no transition beforehand) similarly only receive -2 GOE from the majority of judges rather than -3 GOE.

The most blatant case of violating the rule this season was at U.S. Nationals where Doug Razzano did a 4Toe as his planned solo jumping pass and went into it without absolutely no transition at all, with a full rink-length setup. NONE of the judges gave it -GOE. The rule is there for a reason. The point of the solo jump is that it has a transition before it. The Short Program is specifically testing the ability of the skater to perform that skill. If a deduction isn't applied, like at U.S Nationals with Razzano, then difficult jumps in the SP wouldn't be as big of a deal because skaters wouldn't have to worry about putting them in combination or having extra movements beforehand that make the program more difficult.

I am sorry for my ignorance, but maybe you can enlighten me further. Where in the rules does it say that a solo jump without entry transition automatically deserves -3 GOE?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    I am sorry for my ignorance, but maybe you can enlighten me further. Where in the rules does it say that a solo jump without entry transition automatically deserves -3 GOE?
    ISU communication 1611, IV. Updated Guidelines in establishing GOE for errors
    in Short Program and Free Skating and it actually stated that " a jump immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements".

Now, I have a question, can turns be used as step preceding jump or not?
    Last edited by treeloving; 04-29-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast