Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Short Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    So far the women's SP event was a bit of a letdown for me.
    The earlier groups with the Euro girls were very exciting for me! They all did great!

Custom Title
    Just trying to catch up and just finished watching the Ladies SP - I have to say that I really, really loved Miki, Alissa, and in a different way Rachel - they were the ones that moved me tonight. I actually was surprised by just how much I liked Miki's SP as I wasn't really "into" it before. Alissa's sp was over so fast I couldn't believe it - yes, the little bobble on the flip, but the rest was lovely. too bad we don't have a bunch of 3x3's in the top bunch, but I enjoyed this.

Ps. I love Yuna and Mao too...but wasn't "moved" by them just happy to see them

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    The earlier groups with the Euro girls were very exciting for me! They all did great!
    Yes, Berenice Meite, Joshi, & Vannut were all a pleasure to watch!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    As usual, I'm in awe of BOP's erudition on all things COP. I'm a neophyte WRT to the rules of COP, I only know what skating I like and what I don't. So far the women's SP event was a bit of a letdown for me. I'm hoping the LP event will be much more exciting. The American and Japanese women are struggling (except for Alissa and Miki who seemed pretty controlled) and Yuna is still trying to get her footing back in the competitive arena. I hope that tomorrow finds all the women skaters a bit more calm and focused for their LPs.
    yes, there weren't any wow performances at all. I'm happy for those who didn't have disasters and did well enough. I get that the short program is like that and as Miki said, it's super important not to miss any jumps.
    I can think of at least two programs tomorrow that have the potential to be exquisite, so here's hoping.....

Custom Title
    I've never been a fan of Miki Ando. I've always found her to be powerful, for sure, but artistically — very wanting, often dull. But that short program was stunning. Beautiful! You could tell she felt the music, and the choreography was lovely. I almost didn't even notice that she was doing elements. That was an eye-opening performance to me — it gives some idea of of just how much untapped potential is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Those were NOT steps, they were backward gliding / minor pushes.

They DO have a communication clearly outlining it. Go to the bottom of Communication #1611 and read the section entitled "Remarks". This is specifically what it says:

3. The S&PTC would like to remind the Judges that if prior to the element of Singles Short Program “jump immediately proceeded by connecting steps and/or by other comparable Free Skating movements” there are no steps and movements or there is break between steps/movements and the jump, the GOE must be reduced according to the Guidelines.
    My point is, Yuna's jump was not intended to be a solo jump. Just because she couldn't complete the combo, you can't retroactively treat it as if it were intended to be a solo jump and apply this rule. Rather, the other penalties apply for failing to complete her combo - e.g. fall or step-out.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ I totally agree, rain, except that I've always liked Miki even though she hasn't always managed to integrate lyricism and technique. In fact for quite a while she didn't even seem to be aiming at beauty, just power and fierceness. I liked that too - but occasionally when I saw her skate more lyrically I felt that was her truest self and what she most needed to show as a skater. Of course, skating is a sport and she couldn't have gone far with only lyricism and no power, so she's followed the right path. I'm just so happy that she's flowering now, against all expectations - to me, that was a wow performance. I was amazed and it melted my heart. ETA: It also makes me very happy to see all the respect and appreciation she's getting... all season but especially today. It's been a long, hard wait for her.

Makarova also delighted me, it just came out of the blue for me to see her do a whole program with such confidence and flair.

Leonova did well but what a program and getup. Other than that, the ladies' event was kind of a downer - lots of nice moments but no triumphant performances. Kostner was doing beautifully until the fall - thank God she didn't haves a meltdown after that. I was very disappointed in Yu Na's program and costume which had little connection with Giselle (why not use some other music without so many connotations), not so much in her performance which I figure was just her getting her sea legs again. And Mao... I just felt bad. I know nothing but winning satisfies her and I want her long struggle to end - victoriously!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 04-29-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    3. The S&PTC would like to remind the Judges that if prior to the element of Singles Short Program “jump immediately proceeded by connecting steps and/or by other comparable Free Skating movements” there are no steps and movements or there is break between steps/movements and the jump, the GOE must be reduced according to the Guidelines.
    That is a reiteration of the existing rule, not a clarification that the steps/movement must be sufficiently complex/difficult. I agree with you that the rule/reminder that the steps/movement be immediate is something the judges sometimes ignore, or perhaps the word "immediate" means a much longer duration to judges. I disagree that it applies in the case of Yuna's 3lutz in this particular SP performance.

Really, I don't think it's that big of a problem these days any more. I can't think of any top level skaters that telegraph their jumps (the last one that came to mind is Elena Liashenko). With the advent of the COP and the intricacies it demands, I think all the top skaters can do a triple out of steps. A lot of them are even doing simple steps before their SP combo, such as Yuna or even Patrick Chan with his 4toe/3toe (that he turned into a solo 4t at the GPF).

I am, of course, much more forgiving in this and many other aspects of skate judging than you are. Different cross strokes for different folks.

Custom Title
    My goodness, Alissa stayed upright. I still think she's a headcase, but she might surprise me tomorrow.

Rachael Flatt's footwork was very fast and complex. If she and Alissa manage to not bungle up the long, the US could get their 3 spots back. As for the men ...

Miki Ando looks so pretty Her dress is so flowy, she's skates with such loveliness. Her jumps are also huge!

Mao's costume was much better than the usual short program dress. Shame about that triple axel, but she'll get it in the long.

Yuna's skate was okay. If it weren't for the hype and buildup about her artistry, I would have never even known she was playing Giselle. Tentative and reserved.

Custom Title
    It's good that I don't have vested interest in any ladies, though I would like Yuna to win the gold. However, I do think it was a mistake to skip the whole season and debut 2 new programmes at such a big event, the pressure is huge.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    My point is, Yuna's jump was not intended to be a solo jump. Just because she couldn't complete the combo, you can't retroactively treat it as if it were intended to be a solo jump and apply this rule.
    Um, YES, you can. That is in fact exactly how it works. Her planned solo jump became the combination jump and thus her planned combination jump became the solo jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    That is a reiteration of the existing rule, not a clarification that the steps/movement must be sufficiently complex/difficult. I agree with you that the rule/reminder that the steps/movement be immediate is something the judges sometimes ignore, or perhaps the word "immediate" means a much longer duration to judges. I disagree that it applies in the case of Yuna's 3lutz in this particular SP performance.
    How long have you been following figure skating? Did you ever skate yourself? This rule has been around forever. It's not something new that suddenly came about with CoP. The way the CoP rule is written may not specifically spell-out the fact that "connecting steps or comparable movement" needs to be something more complex than simply lifting your foot up off the ice and placing it back down before jumping, or doing a single 3-turn, but that IS the rule and that's how it has always been. If that wasn't the rule then there would be no need to have such a rule in the first place, as EVERY jump is intrinsically preceded by some form of simple step or turn (such as the 3-turn that comes before a Flip or Toeloop, or stepping onto the opposing foot as you lift up into an Axel, or changing feet as you setup for a Salchow/Loop/Lutz).
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 04-30-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Um, YES, you can. That is in fact exactly how it works. Her planned solo jump became the combination jump and thus her planned combination jump became the solo jump.
    Well, again, I understand you have a passionate view on this, but you admitted yourself that is not how it works in practice, and many judges do not follow your approach. And I believe it should not be applied the way you believe it should apply. What you are saying is that a failed combo deserves negative GOE for fall/step-out on the first jump AND additional negative GOE for not have preceding steps for the jump that suddenly is deemed as a solo jump, thus ensuring that the final GOE is -3. That sounds like an unfair double jeopardy to me, and practically, fall/step-out will ensure that the skater receives negative GOE in any event (which Yuna did receive).

On the Ice
    guys, think easy.

Yuna's first jump wasn't intended to be a solo jump. (she got average -1.5 deduction anyway).

And wat about the second one, 3F+2T - she did with steps.... so does that mean that the judges should give her extra point for doing that(she got +0.9 only - was just + on her jump)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7Glp0Pw#at=436

Tracy Wilson's commentary on Yuna's SP.

Custom Title
    Just random thoughts about the short program:

It's looking good for Russia and the U.S. to qualify three spots for next year's Worlds. Alissa needs to stay in the top 5 though because I suspect Kanako will pass Rachel after the long program (8). But wouldn't it be something if Alissa manages to win a bronze medal.

In the SP, I wish there was a rule against doing all three jumping passes in a row. It bothers me.

It is sad that Marai and Yukari, both medal contenders, did not get a chance to compete. They both could have won this short program with in this mistakes-filled short program.

If team manages to qualify three skaters and they all end up in the top ten, that should earn them a 4th competitor next year. This wouldn't have helped the US year, of course, but maybe next year.

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast