Your Opinons on the Nats Entries (Ladies) | Golden Skate

Your Opinons on the Nats Entries (Ladies)

Please No Predictions Just name the skaters and, please give your opinion of their possibility of making the podium.

Cohen - Should have no problem with standing on podium. She should forget about the medal and just skate her best which is golden.

Kwan - On the podium. Looking forward to see what she does with that Tosca

Ann Patrice - At her best she could be golden but I am not so sure she will make the podium otherwise.

Kirk - If she skates as she did in Skate America, she will give AP a tough time for the podicum (and maybe the two shoo-ins).

Corwin - Not likely, but I would like to see her get more credit for some of the elements she does

Ye bin Mok - Haven't seen anything of her this season. Based on last year's skate, I would not be surprised if she surprises us all.

Liang - Dynamite, if she skates clean. Could make the podium.

Others - Will there be any?

Joe

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cohen: Can't forget about winning, and will once again feel the pressure of being the favorite. Will win the SP and blow the FS again.

Kwan: We will see a better Tosca, but not maybe the best she is capable of. Always comes to Nationals prepared, and will be prepared this time, too. Needs to skate clean to hold on to her championship. Will probably squeak it out.

Kirk: Usually skates well at Nationals, but needs to do that in both SP and FS. Has a shot at the podium.

AP: Her injury works against her. A shame. This should have been her year to shine.

Corwin: Her years of finishing as an also-ran will work against her as far as the podium is concerned.

Ye Bin Mok: The real dark horse. If her injury is healed, she has a real shot at the podium.

Liang: Might finish in the top 5. Podium this year is doubtful.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Kwan and Cohen- both are virtual locks for spots on the podium, especially since Tonya Harding is not skating. ;) They are the top of the field, no question. Only the most jaded antikwan and anticohen fans could come up with scenario that leaves them off the podium. Even with a bad skate, the judges know they want to send those two to worlds (not that I think they will need help from the judges).

Jenny Kirk has skated well this year in the grand prix- better than any of the US ladies other than Cohen- and she beat AP at the International Challenge. It looks like she's got a good shot at the podium.

AP McDonough had an injury recently and had to withdraw from NHK. Glad that she's back on the ice, but it's too bad she won't be coming into Nationals with more confidence. Still, she's a lovely skater, and her spiral positions have improved, so she's definitely in the mix.

Amber Corwin- I too would like her to get more credit for the things she does well. However, the judges have consistently marked her pretty far down. I don't think she has a shot at the podium.

Yebin Mok- Yebin's had a back injury all season and is just getting back to the ice (check out her journal at www.yebinmok.com). She was stunning at last year's competition, and has a shot at a medal. People have commented to me that they don't think she has the consistency, but I don't think you can count her out. She has all the jumps, and the artistry.

Bebe Liang- Bebe's had some great skates and some disasters this year in Grand Prix; she doesn't seem to get two good ones together. If she can put two clean skates together, she can make it. She definitely has a chance.

I notice you didn't mention Angela Nikodinov! I know it's mostly been heartache if you're an Angela fan (like me), but I think you can't count her out. She's been there before, and like most of the others above, has all the elements. A dark horse, perhaps, but a contender.

Well, I guess that's my *opinion* :rolleye: on ladies nationals. For what it's worth!

sk8fanconvert

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
Cohen- Not sure what the splatfest as the IFC meant other than possibly that the atmosphere and nerves combined to get to her there. She only seems very comfortable on the GPF scene. I expect her on the podium, but it will be interesting to see if she can finally transfer her GPF confidence over to the big competitions and skate her best.

Kwan- I am very excited about her recent comments and new coach. I think she has returned to "competitor" mode now, after a couple of years more on her own, where she has a strong coaching presence and training regiment (getting a true lutz!). This might mean less consistency at first, but an even better skater and competitor in the long run, which is what I think she's going for and I applaud that. I expect her on the podium.

Kirk- Her Chicago SP is great and she has improved her consistency. If she can pull out a performance like at SA, then she should make the podium.

AP- She's a good skater, but with her injury, I'm not sure where she'll end up.

Ye Bin Mok- Could be a podium contender, haven't seen her programs, though.

Amber Corwin- I really like her LP this year. She has interesting choreography and style. I don't know how the judges will reward her if she skates clean compared to the other ladies. She could surprise, but who knows?

Beatrisa Liang- Has some good qualities, but I'm not sure she'll make the podium just yet, but it depends on how the other ladies skate and if she skates a clean SP and LP. She could surprise too.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Kwan -- Nationals are really "her" scene. I think she will some out to again win this. At worst, she will be 2nd.

Cohen -- Barring any disaster, should finish no lower than 2nd. She has been "on" all season (with exceptions such as SC). At her best, she could beat Michelle. At worst... (better not go there)

Kirk -- Has been stronger than ever! Real shame she did not make it to GPF. Hoping she will get a place at the podium.

McDounough -- Strong skater, but hasn't done too well with injuries and all. Don't know what to expect from her.

Mok, Liang, Corwin -- any one of them could podium. However, others would have to make major mistakes for this to happen.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I notice you didn't mention Angela Nikodinov! I know it's mostly been heartache if you're an Angela fan (like me), but I think you can't count her out. She's been there before, and like most of the others above, has all the elements. A dark horse, perhaps, but a contender.

I should have check this part of the board sooner... Angela forever holds a special place in my heart... I think, with the right amount of dedication and support she can make it to the podium again, it's not too late for her, and I refuse to EVER count her out.

euterpe

Medalist
Don't know what to make of Cohen after her meltdown at the Cheesefest and subsequent loss at the GPF.

She seems to have developed a problem with her pick jumps. Lots of folks have expressed doubts about Kwan and her lutz, but Sasha's problem seems more generalized, and more serious.

Sasha fell on her lutz in the GPF SP, and didn't do a combination (but still was held up to 2nd). Then she did only a single 3Z in the FS (no lutz combo), and fell on her 3T and 3F. Again, she was held up to 2nd although she had completed only 4 triples, and Arakawa had 6 triples and a clean skate.

The USFSA will continue to prop Sasha up even if she has another set of flawed programs. The question is, if Kwan is less than perfect, will the USFSA award gold to an even less perfect Cohen?

And that third spot is still up for grabs.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Cohen-Yes. Swan Lake is a wonderful prrogram.
Kwan-yes. Even if she were to bomb, they would gift her.....
Kirk-Yes. Shes improved so much.
AP-I doubt it. She seems to be falling apart this season.
Bebe-Maybe. She looked great in the GP
Yebin-No. She doesnt really have a chance. Her artistry and her jumps simply arent good enough.

rtureck

Final Flight
AP needs to fix the jump technique, she under rotates most jumps. She is a better spinner than Kirk.

Kirk needs to fix her jump technique too. Kirk has more mental toughness.

In the past nationals whoever landed more triple jumps was placed ahead of the other.

Go Jenny, Go AP

egskater0003

Rinkside
Great thread!

Michelle: Will be very prepared and have the mental focus to do what she needs to to. From what I've seen of her so far this year, she's got a larger goal that she's working towards, so Nats & worlds 04 will just be a stepping stone for her. But an 8th Nats title would be great and I'm sure she'd love it as well.

Sasha: Don't know. Either she'll be on, or she'll be off. Just will have to wait and see if she can pull off 2 clean programs or not.
Big question is what will her focus be on when she steps onto the ice? Clean programs or winning the title/beating michelle?

AP: Dont' know. Not looking good so far this season. Once she has a few bad performances, she seems to lose all confidence. Will have to see if she's really determined to step it up a notch at Nats.

Jenny: Good, bad, good, bad......maybe she's destined for pairs skating with Fedor.....Could make the podium if she skates two good, clean programs but you never know, just when it seems like she's able to pull it all together, eveything crumbles.

Bebe: Cute and spunky, but not sure if she's up there with rest of the pack yet. It will depend on how the other skaters skate and if she can pull off 2 clean programs. Might surprise us.

YeBin: Nice jumps but not my cup of tea. Haven't seen her skate this season, so don't know where she stands. Could be a surprise???

Amber: Sorry, she's a nice young lady, but the judges just aren't going to give her higher scores than what she's consistently getting now.

Natalie Mecher: From what I saw at regionals, I'd say she's an up and commer. Not with the top of the pack yet, but if she can add more triples to her program, and improve her sprials, I'd say she could become a contender in the near future. Good speed and good spins, nice fw but needs more connection with audience. I hope she does well and suprises us all! (she was the US Junior Silver medalist last year)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Michelle will be on the podium and so will Sasha. At their best, they are so much better than anyone else, whatever shortcomings they might have. I think they will both be physically and mentally prepared. If Sasha skates before Michelle in SP and LP she has a better chance of beating Michelle. Sasha seems to put so much more pressure on herself when she has to up the ante to outdo Michelle. I think, in the end, though, Michelle will wind up winning another national title.

Spot number three should be really interesting, especially if the other contenders (Jenny, Ann Patrice, Bebe, Angela, Ye Bin) skate clean. Who will the judges deem more deserving of that third spot of the world team? THAT is the question.

I'm counting the days. No, make that hours.

nymkfan51

Medalist
A few weeks ago I would have said that I thought Sasha would have her best chance yet of winning a Nationals title ... now I'm not so sure.
There seems to be an opinion around the net that she has let Michelle get in her head. I'm not sure I buy that, but if it's true ... it doesn't bode well for her chances at Nats, IMO.
And speaking of Michelle ... I think she will probably skate well, but maybe not as perfectly as we saw last year ... if she is indeed working on new jump technique.
So either of these ladies could end up winning. They will more than likely take the top 2 spots.

For the 3rd spot ... I think Jenny has the best chance to medal if she skates clean like she did at SA. This will be a HUGE test for her.
AP doesn't look good to me and that's depressing to me ... I like her alot.
I haven't really heard much about Yebin ... if she's healthy, she could be a factor.

For Bebe ... I think she needs to make a good impression at Nats this year to start positioning herself for 2006.
Times is running out ... look how fast these past 2 years have gone by. Before you know it, we will be giving our predictions for Turino! :laugh:

insecureedge

On the Ice
Here are my (long) thoughts for the ladies I've seen on TV this year, in alphabetical order:

Sasha Cohen: Sasha seemed to fall back to earth with the Winter Cheesefest and GPF after her streak of four consecutive gold medals (Fall cheesefest, Skate America, Skate Canada, Trophee Lalique). Both her SP, Malagueña, and her LP, selections from Swan Lake, are excellent choices, showing off her very dramatic style of skating. Malagueña in particular is great and even improved with changes in the spins (superb positions and speed), spiral sequence (edges could be better, and the change-of-edge spiral is not on deep edges), and straight-line footwork. I actually like that Cohen's LP is not screaming Swan Lake; even though it lacks some choreographic cohesiveness and doesn't have a ton of inbetween moves (cf Sarah Hughes' LP last year), the highlight wow moves work well. The problem with Cohen is consistency with jumps; even when landed, they often have odd landings. Her 3 (f)lutz during the SP at Lalique was severely tilted, and she fell and couldn't complete the combination at GPF. I appreciate the footwork into the 2 axel, but her landing of it has been questionable. For the LP, the toe jumps (particularly lutz and flip) have been questionable. Also, it is possible that some of the MITF and footwork into jumps may disappear since the 6.0, not the COP, system will be used, and it may improve her consistency. Big Question-Can she rebound from her last two disappointing finishes, or will her (pick whichever you believe) nerves (Michelle Kwan or must win title), lack of consistency, lack of focus, overflexibility, poor pacing of energy derail her once again? I think that with the jumps and no 3/3 expected, she'll get either gold or silver; with mistakes, still no lower than fourth (and realistically third given her performance quality of late).

Amber Corwin-With a 3 toe/3 toe combo and perhaps some pushing from the COP, Amber's skating appears to have been reinvigorated. I haven't seen her SP, but I like the different feel of her music for the LP (Book of Secrets). The fact that her basic skating is not as good as the other ladies is her main weakness. Also, at times and especially when the jumps aren't working, she doesn't seem to have the presence as a performer to keep the energy going throughout the skate. Big Question-Will she land her 3/3? I think at best she can place fifth, probably no lower than eighth.

Jennifer Kirk-I like both her SP (selections from Chicago and LP (Die Fledermaüs) this year, which effectively display her genuine joy, and appreciate her gutsiness in attempting to land 3/3 in both programs. I think that she still needs something to distinguish herself from the field and being just another pleasant skater. Jumps are her biggest problem; while improved from last year, they still appear somewhat small and need more height. However, I think that a normal 3/2 combo will stand her in good stead for the short (should be no lower than third). Big Question-Will she try for 3/3 in the SP, and will she land 7 triples with a 3/3 in the long? I think she will be clean in the SP with no 3/3. In the long, I expect a 3/3 but some other jump mistake. Thinking realistically, she can get 2nd if either Kwan or Cohen (I don't expect both) falter to 4th.

Michelle Kwan-An interesting season with her first loss to Cohen, boot problems, and a new coach. I'm excited knowing about her apparently newfound devotion to the sport, with an eye for improved jumps and the Olympics. Kwan's consistency may suffer this season with such a drastic change. Kwan always has strong SPs; no matter if we see The Feeling Begins again or (hopefully) a new SP, I expect Michelle to be no lower than 4th if there's a mistake (1st or 2nd if none). As for her LP, Tosca, I'm somewhat unsure. It's hard to top the music cuts and busy footwork that Irina Slutskaya (sorely missed this season) had in 2001-2002 (even though the head rolling didn't work for me) that helped make IMO her interpretation one of her best LPs, and it is curious that Michelle would want to pick the music of such a close rival and the inevitable comparison that such a choice invites. I like the new attention to her movements that were evident last year and at the recent cheesefest that adds to the grace of her flow across the ice, but I'm not sure that the choreography lends justice to Puccini's dramatic music. Michelle's shown she can do dramatic with her last SP; a bigger problem is not that the music is repetitive but more that the ponderous, somewhat weighty middle section has several nuances that defy easy choreographic solutions. The spins in particular, while timed right to the music, still don't seem to fit. I'm hoping that with a little more mileage, Tosca will be another addition to her already prodigious collection of moving programs. Big Question-Will Kwan regain her consistency and security on her lutzes (probable) add more choreography (not probable), but I would love it), and add a 3/3 (not likely at this point, maybe next year)? Co-favorite for the title, and no lower than third even with mistakes.

Ann Patrice MacDonough-After a good season last year, including a 7-triple nationals, leading to thoughts that she would have a breakthrough year, AP's skating appears to taken a step backwards this year. Whether due to injury or other factors, even her best performance at Campbell's seemed to lack attack. Her SP performance at Cup of China to Spartacus was great and really highlights her elegance. Picking Swan Lake for an LP in the same year, no less, as Cohen was an unfortunate choice. Her program, while oddly enough containing slightly more choreography, has less impact than Sasha's. Her second-to-last finish at the winter cheesefest may have also blown her confidence. Big Question-Can MacDonough regain fully rotated triple jumps? I think realistically she can get third if she skates at her best, but fourth is more likely, and down to sixth is possible with underrotated jumps.

Beatrisa Liang-Quite an impressive debut to the Grand Prix, with fourth at Trophee Lalique against Cohen and Arakawa. Excellent SP to Carmen and LP to the soundtrack of Signs. Her choreography is quite good, but I would like to see her moves more "finished" and for her to skate with more power, which will come with time. Big QuestionWill her injury and a lack of a loop hurt her in the LP? I think if she skates her best, fifth is possible.

Haven't seen Angela Nikodinov (love her skating, but Pacific sectional finish, in which she landed mostly doubles, combined with coming off injury and her nerves, indicate a finish in the second flight), Ye Bin Mok (liked her LP last year, good jumps but more charisma would be nice), Andrea Gardiner, or Jennifer Don.

PS: It going to a strange nationals without Sarah Hughes. I hope she's enjoying Yale.

Last edited:

maxell1313

Rinkside
I'd say Kwan and Cohen are permanent locks for spots on the podium, regardless of how good or bad their programs are. Really. Unless either of them zamboni for 7 minutes, they're going to Worlds. The only question would be the color of the hardware.

So it's spot #3 that gets interesting. My guess would be Jenny, as she's had a fairly good showing at the Grand Prix and her programs are strong. However, if Yebin, Angela, or Bebe put in solid performances, they could pull the upset. Personally, I don't see Bebe going to Worlds, I don't think she's got the presentation or the technical side strong enough yet. I like AP, but with the injury, and her (what seems like) apathy to how she does, I don't see her getting a Worlds placement either.

Either way, good luck to all the ladies and may they all skate perfectly clean programs.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I would really like to see Jenny grab that 3rd World team spot. I enjoy her style and on-ice personality. She's really charming!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great insightful comments all.........and welcome to GS Insecure....

Before the Grand Prix Final, I would have thought the outcome of the ladies' National title would be pretty predictable, but now, it's anyone's guess.........Kwan or Cohen, seems a toss-up and could go either way. I agree with the comment that these two ladies are safe bets to be placed on the World's team........

Third place now, that's a different story..........I am so impressed with BB Liang........I will be "giddy" with joy if she makes the podium..........42

Show42 - Totally agree. Everyone is convinced that Kwan and Cohen are going to be the top two in either order but it is very difficult to pick the 3rd place.

AP - Not a good year so far
Jenny - 50/50 can do but will she?
Mok - who knows?
Nikidinov - 50/50 can do but will she?
Corwin - doubt it but maybe CoP?
Melcher - don't know her.

Of course there is Bebe, but this is not her year. This is just to open the eyes of the judges and fans in the international circles.

I've got a gut feeling that 3rd place will be a surprise but the USFSA will send AP along with MK and SC no matter what the results are.

Joe

Matt

On the Ice
My Podium

Here's what I think:

1. Michelle Kwan : Although Sasha's got great choreography and style, she's had problems with her jumps, so MK once again returns to the #1 spot. She has had problems with her jumps, most notably the lutz, but this is one of the competitions she will be attending, so I can see her working that kink and getting into form. Tosca, ITA, isn't the same drama we saw from Slutskaya, but MK's dedication to the artistry should still make it shine if the times comes like last year.

2. Sasha Cohen : Would be the favorite and still is in many respects, but the "i" word is back: inconsistency. That, and the sudden coaching change to Robin Wagner might very well play into Sasha mentally. But, if she can land the jumps (like she did at SA), this program's got the style and the elegance to reverse my top two places (Sidebar: wouldn't it be interesting to see Sasha do Tosca ? OMG, that would make my day like you would believe!)

3. Jenny Kirk : This is a big stage for Kirk, and it's at home (remember SA). She can definitely get the triple toe-triple toe out, but the big question is that lutz (or "flutz", you cynics out there): can she land it??? I don't know the answer, but I would think she can make the podium

Other places? Amber Corwin is skating well; she can probably challenge for the third spot. Bebe Liang will definitely be there. AP's doubled too many jumps for me to put her up there (though I would). If Ye Bin Mok makes another surprise appearance, put her up there too.

euterpe

Medalist
One thing about Jenny Kirk: she's always skated well at Nationals. She was 5th the last two years, and last year she finished behind AP. I think AP hasn't recovered from the injury she suffered during the GP, and she is going to struggle at Nationals.

So--if Jenny can just put in a pair of performances like those at Skate America, I think she will be on the World Team.

amykaren

On the Ice
Michelle-I hope she wins it, because I always root for her! She is the best of the best. Never count her out.

Sasha-Until cheesefest, I would have thought she would win this. Now, I am not sure. That being said, just when you count a skater out, they suprise you!

Angela-can't wait to see how she is going to do. One of my favorites to watch.

Bebe-Amazing talent, it's all there-almost.

Jenny-Talent, but misses jumps too much still. Very strong presence on ice.

Amber-Hope she is on the podium. I love her skating and please give the girl credit for those triple-triples!

Sarah-Waahh! She's not competing.