Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Patrick Chan, New World Champ and Record Holder, Can he reach 300 score?

Tripping on the Podium
    Congratulations Patrick Chan! That is what skating is all about. Superb, magnifico!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
    Here's a longish audio interview Patrick did in French with Radio-Canada. He always sounds very sweet in French!
    Thank you so much! I've never heard Patrick speak in French. His sound is so cute!

Custom Title
    Usually Patrick does an interview with Radio Canada (French CBC) after most competitions but this time there is not as much Canadian media presence due to the reschedule. There are quite a few youtube videos of his interviews in French.

I actual prefer his accent better than the Quebecois one of the interviewer.

Congrats to Patrick, Taka, and Artur.

I'm particularly "over the moon" for Taka. The first time we got to see him skate live was at 2007 Skate America (in Reading, PA). Same for Patrick, and we enjoyed them both from that time on.

So glad to see Michal Brezina at these worlds, considering his season of injury and surgery. Very impressed with Ross Miner and Richard Dornbush. I really like Ryan, and hoped that he would finish higher here, with the same electricity as at US Nationals. I really liked Brian Joubert's free skate, just as I did for Europeans.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Usually Patrick does an interview with Radio Canada (French CBC) after most competitions but this time there is not as much Canadian media presence due to the reschedule. There are quite a few youtube videos of his interviews in French.

I actual prefer his accent better than the Quebecois one of the interviewer.
    Really? I'd go to search for his French interviews on Youtube. I like his French accent. I know he could speak French but no idea that he could speak this good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Really? I'd go to search for his French interviews on Youtube. I like his French accent. I know he could speak French but no idea that he could speak this good.
    While you're at it, look for his competition videos with French commentators. Talk about gushing! Even the French French. E.g. Eurosports on his Worlds 2009 SP.

There is a cute one with Patrick and Joannie commenting on each other.

eta Ryan Pyette says it well:

Chan on top of the world

etaa. This is both funny and true, from Clean sweep: Patrick Chan smashes one record after another to win world gold:

"The whole time going into my second quad, I was thinking, how did I do that (first quad)? I felt really off," he said. "Christy now calls me 'Bob,' I'm like a bob in the water, you always find how to stay straight in the air.
    I'm so glad Krall turns out so right for him. She is scientific, strict from macro to micro, holistic, and is able to calm Patrick with her humour. She is exactly what Patrick needs at this stage of his skating career. With her and the experiences from the tumultuous last year, he has switched from a hard working extremely talented skater into a supreme athlete and competitor, accessing every inner and outer tools he can to reach this dominating level of excellence. I expect him to rise even higher from here, hopefully incorperating the training and competing well with his studies. That should be the key now.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 04-29-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Banned
    Given the CoP as it stands now, does anyone know what a 'theoretical' MAXIMUM perfect score would be? PCS should be straight forward to calculate plugging in 10's across the board, but all +3 GOEs and the highest possible technical content would be??

Mathman! Help us out! (haha!)

Custom Title
    Mathman already did such a program. He, however, allowed a deduction for nude performance.

My issue with his program is the 10 points for a choreography that backloads 100%.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    My issue with his program is the 10 points for a choreography that backloads 100%.
    Miki Ando received a little over 8 in choreography for backloading 75% after resting for nearly 1/4 of the program, so that score sounds like exactly what the judges would award to such a program!

Custom Title
    Here's what a 6.0 judge has to say:

The gold medal was won by Patrick Chan of Canada. He really skated at his best and both the short and the free programs will remain as memorable programs in the history of our sport.

In the short program, he started off with an outstanding quadruple toe-loop/triple toe-loop combination, followed by a perfect triple Axel and a triple flip. The choreography of the program was excellent. At the end of the program it came naturally to me, an old figure skating judge, to write down my marks: 5.9 – 6.0! I am sure Patrick would have liked to see these marks on the score board.

Skated to the “Phantom of the Opera”, his free program was just breathtaking. His first jump was a quadruple toe-loop immediately followed, from the blue, by a fantastic quadruple toe-loop/triple toe-loop combination. He then executed five more triple jumps of the highest technical quality. His only mistake was a step-out on the triple Axel. His spins were excellent as well as the choreography of the program. But what makes him so captivating in presentation is the way he moves his body, his head, his arms, while skating on deep edges. He really flies on the ice. Every movement is wonderful; he really lives his music and makes you perceive his inner feelings. At the end of his program, I was crying. Patrick perfectly represents what I would define as the ideal male skater. Excellent in technique as well as in the artistic side of our beautiful sport, without becoming feminine. Thank you, Patrick, for the intense artistic emotion you gave me.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the link, SkateFiguring!

Patrick perfectly represents what I would define as the ideal male skater. Excellent in technique as well as in the artistic side of our beautiful sport, without becoming feminine.

That's important! We've always been hoping the public-views change on men's figure skating. "Artistic beauty without feminine" says for itself. Way to go!

Custom Title
    If Chan can do a FS with two quads and two triple axels, and is clean, I bet he can break 300 without too much of an issue.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3