ICE DANCE - Short Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

ICE DANCE - Short Dance

A.H.Black

Final Flight
The Shibutanis got the lowest PCS of the top 6. Their superior placement is due to higher level calls, which I don't find incredible. Shpilband is a master at training his teams to milk those levels.

I agree. Their technical scores and levels have been very high all season long. I don't find it surprising that they scored well here.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
V/M were absolutely brilliant, they fully deserved their marks. I thought they might turn up to Worlds a bit rusty and out of shape but no danger of that, they were head and shoulders above the competition today. D/W were totally overmarked there was no way that deserved more than 70, they should be 3rd at best. Found their performance flat, twizzles out of sync, music to big for them and they seem disconnected from each other. P/B put in a great performance, they should be on the podoum now.

Shibs were overmarked, I would have them behind the Italians, down in 8th place. Found the performance a little juniorish and forced, they have a very strong free they could hold on to fourth which would be a fantastic performance. B/S were undermarked imo, I really like the drama of this performance, I would have had them much closer to the top 3. I/K were really impressive, I lover the power, speed and dynamism of this couple. They are a good looking couple who just demand your attention. Enjoyed W/P and C/L, very impressed that the Italians could come back after a pretty disastrous season so far.

The times are a changing in Ice dance, as things stand 6 of the Top 10 are North Americians, all though all do have European (mainly Russian) coaches. Come on Europe.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's precisely my problem with this team. I don't expect sizzle from a brother/sister team but something along the lines of Kerr/Kerr would be better than this saccharine cutesiness, I was bored to tears.

Ha, the Shibs, young as they are have made an impression on the judges today. Let the trash talk begin as that only reinforces the arrival of this entertaining team.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I believe they are Chris Howarth and Nicky Slater but I'm not 100% sure(there's also Simon Reed but I don't believe he was doing commentary tonight)

Simon Reed was commentating tonight. Normally Chris and Nicky do Europeans as Simon as in Australia covering the Aussie open but come the worlds it is him and Chris. I really like the Eurosport commentary teams for most sports.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I know what I say is going to be taken as heresy, but I had the opposite reaction to V/M. I thought they looked slow and sluggish and should be BEHIND D/W. They are ultra-smooth skaters with nice lines, to be sure, but I don't agree that their performance was the best of the night. I think the judges were overly generous in their marks.

What?! I find them fast, precise, and totally connected silmultaneously, yet elegant and mesmerizing while achieving such athletic feat. Exquisite. D/W's program didn't stand out for me. I don't remember much of it. In anything, my major impression is that they didn't bring another dazzling innovative lift.

Not degrading D/W, one of the foremost ice dance teams of today and worthy rival to V/M. Just my experience today.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Simon Reed was commentating tonight. Normally Chris and Nicky do Europeans as Simon as in Australia covering the Aussie open but come the worlds it is him and Chris. I really like the Eurosport commentary teams for most sports.

Ok than, thanks :) I love Eurosport commentary too(and I also agree with what you said about today's SD)

janetfan

Match Penalty
What?! I find them fast, precise, and totally connected silmultaneously, yet elegant and mesmerizing while achieving such athletic feat. Exquisite. D/W's program didn't stand out for me. I don't remember much of it. In anything, my major impression is that they didn't bring another dazzling innovative lift.

Not degrading D/W, one of the foremost ice dance teams of today and worthy rival to V/M. Just my experience today.

Here we go, and since it doesn't happen very often :eek: :eek: I must totally agree with you. I love watching Tessa and Scott skate together and find them to be all you said and more.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Geez....I rarely hear Americans being overmarked, especially since I used to read so much about "how Meryl and Charile were robbed of a medal in 2009," and/or "how the Shibs should have won a medal the last year but they didn't," etc.

Judges are humans. And enthusiastic fans inevitably complain about unfairness of scores for the skaters they are rooting for. But it is what it is.

If you ask me, it's refreshing to read posters complaining about the American being overmarked....hey, it's about time :laugh:

P.S.: Go, Meryl, Charlie, and the Shibs. :)

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
S/S were ahead on both TES and PCS. Very odd indeed..especially given their trouble with the twizzles.

No trouble with twizzles for Shibs. They got mostly +3s in the GOEs and the highest score of the entire field for their twizzles.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Geez....I rarely hear Americans being overmarked, especially since I used to read so much about "how Meryl and Charile were robbed of a medal in 2009," and/or "how the Shibs should have won a medal the last year but they didn't," etc.

Judges are humans. And enthusiastic fans inevitably complain about unfairness of scores for the skaters they are looting for. But it is what it is.

If you ask me, it's refreshing to read posters complaining about the American being overmarked....hey, it's about time :laugh:

P.S.: Go, Meryl, Charlie, and the Shibs. :)

I know! The bitterness in this thread is inversely related to the bitterness in the men's long program thread. :p

dwiggin3

Final Flight
While I have not seen any of the dances yet, I often find that D/W skate to music that is too big for them or to mature/somber. I felt that way about Belbin/Agusto when they were around - but to a lesser degree. I have this odd thought that B/A could get away with that kind of music because she was to tall and a bit more mature looking, but White can't because she appears much younger, is shorter or her body portions are not as equal. Of D/W's programs thus far, I adored the Beatles medley and their Bollywood from last year. I really disliked their OD last year.

But of course, I wish them all well!:)

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Yeah, and a high GOE as well..... They did get dropped from a level 4 to a level 3 though.
Re D&W. Charlie messed up his twizzle in the warmup which probably spooked him. They have been doing a huge jump into the twizzles and left it out today, which is why only a Level 3 instead of a 4 - also slightly off sync. Always a mistake to change anything in your program at the last minute.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This might be a side note, but based on today's results, there is a very good chance that US, Canada, and Russai all could send 3 dance teams to the next year's worlds.

Personally I would be thrilled to see if France can also send 3 teams to worlds next year since it will be held there. Currently PECHALAT / BOURZAT is in the 3rd place and Carron/Jones is the 11th. If P/B hold the 3rd place and C/J pull up to the 10th, France can very much send 3 teams. I really hope it can happen.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Barred major disaster, I think we have our podium in exact the same order. While the battle below 3rd place raises questions, I don't think it really matters in the end.

I think Marlie can move up. Its really close and Voir have never even skated their program all the way through yet. Nobody even knows if she is capable of doing so. They claimed they were fine at 4CC and skated a great short dance.

I just hope they both skate well but Marlie comes out ahead. They have been too awesome this season not to get the final prize and that program is just crazy hard and crazy amazing.