ICE DANCE - Short Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

ICE DANCE - Short Dance

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually, I'm all right with it being close. D/W's mistake was pretty minor (I'd still give those twizzles a +1 or +2) and their movement is gorgeous. I'd rank them behind in terms of Interpretation, though.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Pogue,,I think you've hit the nail on the head there..and I always expected it to be close..I just don't see how D/W can be ahead on PCS so maybe it would sit better with me if it was close ,but not quite so close. This is not a cry of wuzrobbed ,just a hmmmm...

There are a few other things I don't get though..such as how C/L can be ahead of C/Z . This would normally be hard for me to say , since I've had a fondness for C/L for years , but I thought C/Z did a fabulous job on their SD today , and C/L didn't seem as neat or fast to me.

I don't know what to say about C/P. I never thought their SD worked , and I feel that this is a case where their very favourable GP assignments didn't help them. They would have had more than ample time to change the dance , and they would have been in good company.( D/W, P/B, B/S...)So I think this comes from a defensive attitude on the part of their team that doesn't help the skaters in the long run. Not every critique is an attack.

I think I/K have been boosted a bit.Lovely girl. Speed , yes.. waltz, no.I don't buy their placement , talented as they are.

B/S have made a mistake I feel , in changing their SD. Ignore the lyrics to Delilah.. it was much more lyrical. Seems to me they changed it to be more apples / apples with I/K at home. Bad move . I think that made them more vulnerable to the Shibs , and less competitive with P/B ,who I think could have been had today. I like their program but they were a bit flat today compared to Euro's.

You know I adore the Shibs, but I'm a little surprised to see them quite so high,since I feel their real strength is their FD. I would have thought W/P should have been slightly above them in this segment.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Here's Hersh on our Canton quartet

You know, I defended C/P's SD. For me, at SC it worked (where for a number of people it didn't). I love the immediacy of the opening and closing. I love the way the phrasing of the music matches the GW sequences. But it didn't grow like I hoped (neither did their free, but that's a much stronger dance and still works). I tend to agree - favourable GP assignments really made this team look stronger this year than perhaps they were, and they didn't grow as much (I'd say the same for Moore-Towers/Moscowitch, too actually. Trajectory is virtually identical: Strong performance at SC, lesser but still worthy at SA, lesser at the GPF, lesser at 4CC. etc). I really hope both teams look at what happened, because next season we have young guns (Paul/Islam; Lawrence/Sweigers) who could concievably knock them off their pace.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
The technical controller (the one who issues corrections to the tech calls if necessary) is Linda Leaver (Boitano's long time coach!) of US.

Just to clarify. This Linda Leaver is NOT the Linda Leaver who was Brian Boitano's coach. This Linda Leaver is from Salt Lake City, Utah. She has been a National, World, and Olympic judge. There have been times where she has been confused with Linda Leaver the coach but they are two separate people. Thus there are 2 prominent Linda Leavers in the figure skating world.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Pogue my sister called me and told me I had to get to the computer right away ,or you might cry. :biggrin: I suggest we cry together..tears of joy ! Tessa seemed so relaxed, I really believe what she says about being pain free.

Also, I'm so glad I don't use my real name on boards!!!!!! I work Saturday, so I won't be able to see the dance until afterwards (and yes, I will definitely be spoiling it first - knowing who won will help calm me down).

veravina

Rinkside
Regarding the criticism of C&P, I don't think it's really fair to say that they could have changed it.They've reworked different parts and since 4Cs they've changed an entire section. The SD has not been easy for most of the teams, so it would have been foolish to completely redo it halfway through the season. And too many changes cause mistakes. The second criticism that they had easy GP assignments overlooks the fact that they came out of the gate really well-trained - as a matter of fact they skated the SD flawlessly at SC. Unfortunately for them the judging concensus was that the SD was going to have a flowing traditional line which is what the Shibs, W&P had begun with. I love their dance, others don't but I thought that the CoP was supposed to get rid of this style vs. style preference. I think the Shibs have also gotten worse since the GP season. They did indeed look juniorish today.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
This might be a side note, but based on today's results, there is a very good chance that US, Canada, and Russai all could send 3 dance teams to the next year's worlds.

Personally I would be thrilled to see if France can also send 3 teams to worlds next year since it will be held there. Currently PECHALAT / BOURZAT is in the 3rd place and Carron/Jones is the 11th. If P/B hold the 3rd place and C/J pull up to the 10th, France can very much send 3 teams. I really hope it can happen.

Problem for france federation if 3 places, as there is only 2 senior teams!!

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) Veravina..Don't get me wrong... I don't think there's a thing wrong with the content of C/P's program. I think they have some really nice choreographic touches , there. And I agree ,they were obviously ready for the start of the season.They're very good, strong skaters. But it was obvious early in the season that programs without a strong steady waltz rhythm were getting the kind of feedback that made skaters and their teams reconsider their music. With the SC and SA assignments , it's possible CP weren't exposed to as much negative feedback , or , if they heard the music criticized , it's possible their positive GP results caused their team to disregard it.

ETA; I'm not criticizing them for having their GP assignments. I'm just stating they were favourable in terms of travel , and generally well disposed audiences .

OTOH , D/W's camp , for example ,acted immediately to ditch Amelie when it became obvious it wasn't helping them...I'm just saying, do you think C/L are better skaters than C/P? I don't, really. But their music ( even if I wouldn't care if I never heard Que Sera again ) is decidely a waltz.

I can't see that there was anything juniorish about the Shibs skating.It's a beautiful waltz, and difficult. It's just not a love story. Not everything needs to be. Maia displays a grace and poise beyond her years.

Pogue..work, Bah ! maybe we can all give our nails an extra nibble on your behalf.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Problem for france federation if 3 places, as there is only 2 senior teams!!

Do you think one of your promising junior teams, say, Tiffany ZAHORSKI / Alexis MIART and/or Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON, are age eligible to skate at the senior level? If they could it would be a fantastic experience for them. In general, a whole lot more people watch Sr. worlds than jr. worlds. I would be thrilled to see one of those jr teams get more exposure.

Of course, it's a moot point if France teams do not win three places.

Mattieu

Medalist
Do you think one of your promising junior teams, say, Tiffany ZAHORSKI / Alexis MIART and/or Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON, are age eligible to skate at the senior level? If they could it would be a fantastic experience for them. In general, a whole lot more people watch Sr. worlds than jr. worlds. I would be thrilled to see one of those jr teams get more exposure.

Of course, it's a moot point if France teams do not win three places.

Papadakis, Cizeron, Zahorski same skating year (all 16 - 1 july 2011), Miart 3 year more (19 - 1 july 2011), so all age-eligible.
They say, problem do junior and senior, rumba different speed against cha cha, so needed 2 short dances.
Zahorski/Miart say if all will well for junior then maybe trying nationals senior.

lcd

Match Penalty
Well. Some of the comments on this thread are CERTAIN indicators that "the Shibs" have ARRIVED. A sadly framed "Congratulations" is due to them. Probably since the beginning of time, when societies formed from a mixing of more than one "type" - hate, as a sign of fear, is consistent and is sadly just a reflection of the baseness of human nature.

Whether it is the thinly veiled overtones of racial prejudice, the decision that one's "preference" (meaning anything else is "wrong") in this discipline is for "hot couples", making well matched partners "ewww" because they are siblings, even if they are not presenting anything with their material that would hint of them trying to portray anything "incestuous" , the hate comments are becoming a classic message board way of giving the Shibs a big backhande compliment.

Understandable given the "forum" set up. Sad and ugly but a striking compliment all the same. Seems to me that some "fans" of those other than the Shibs have shown their true colors.

lcd

Match Penalty
Oh. And just to be clear. No, I'm not a TOTAL idiot. :think::think:

I "get" that this is a fan chat board. I "get" that a meaningful percentage of the time it's about standing amidst the muck, chewing on the "bread" with your mouth open, watching the "circus" while random insults get spit out at the hard working actors on stage.

Still. I just thought some thresholds were crossed, and understanding First Amendment and all that stuff, decided to put my spin on what I saw this as meaning. :)

KKonas

Medalist
Re Shibs - What perhaps is fueling this idea that the Shibs are overmarked is something that is difficult to see on TV. Having seen them skate live for a number of years, the Shibs have wonderful edge quality - which gives them great flow across the ice. This is something the judges generally prize above some other attributes. They are NOT slow. Can they improve their expression? Sure, they are still young, but their basics are great.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Papadakis, Cizeron, Zahorski same skating year (all 16 - 1 july 2011), Miart 3 year more (19 - 1 july 2011), so all age-eligible.
They say, problem do junior and senior, rumba different speed against cha cha, so needed 2 short dances.
Zahorski/Miart say if all will well for junior then maybe trying nationals senior.

I almost forgot that the required dance elements between jr. & sr were different. So what you say makes sense.

By the way, I feel really sad for P/B's fall during today's free dance. They sure could have medalled had they not fallen. Hopefully with the coaching change (they are moving to Krylova & Carmelango), they could finally medal at the next year's worlds.

Cheers :yay:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is it sure that P&B are moving to Krylova & Camerlengo? I think that could be a great match :) if true.

No, I'm not in Moscow. But my internet connection turned to garbage this week-I couldn't watch anything until it was aired by US sports.

One thing that was not mentioned here to explain why V&M and D&W were so close:
V&M:
GW1 7.0
GW2 7.93 (level 3)
Total GW 14.93

D&W:
GW1 7.0
GW2 9.0 (level 4)
Total GW 16.00

Tessa had a small problem with the cascade/layback in GW2, which is where they lost the level. Also they were throwing up quite a bit of snow in the walk around threes at the beginning of GW1.

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is it sure that P&B are moving to Krylova & Camerlengo? I think that could be a great match :) if true.

Well, I read it at Ice Dance -FD page 18: " The guest commentator who is an international judge said on Hungarian Eurosport that P/B are going to Krylova/Camerlengo. " by tralfamodorian.

I agree if it is true it would be a great match. Krylova & Camerlengo have done wonderful job with W/P. Madison and Keiffer also are coached by them, so K/C camp can develop into another power house like S/Z.

Competition is good. :biggrin:

P.S.: Good to read your post, again.