Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: ICE DANCE - Short Dance

Custom Title
    German Eurosport commentators just said that...

Custom Title
    I really hate to say this, but I smell conspiracy regarding I/K's skating order change.

They originally were placed behind the Shibs, the team consistently beated I/K this seaons. And they were moved to the very last group, and right behind C/L - the team I/K beated at Nebelhorn, and the team that has been absent from the competition most of this season?

I can understand the home coat advantage, but do the Russain Fed has to be this blatant? Give me a break!

Custom Title
    Let's wait and see. I don't believe they can be moved like that. Maybe there was a mistake somewhere

Custom Title
    Charlie just fell on a twizzle during warm up!

Medalist
    I like the Shibutanis' free dance but their short dance was very dull. I/K's is much more dramatic and charismatic.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Skating order makes very little difference in scoring under the COP. Anybody familiar to the judges are more likely to get higher and fairer scores, regardless of when they skate. Anybody who is a stranger to the judges is liable to be lowballed even if they are the last to skate.

If they're moved deliberately, it's vastly more likely to be a concession to TV broadcast ratings (they want more Russians in the final group to make sure people stay tuned in).

Cheating in figure skating are done in much more direct ways than reshuffling something so irrelevant and hoping it makes a difference.

On the Ice
    I like the Shibutanis' free dance but their short dance was very dull
    I like the sd okay, but its not very captivating. I really like the fd though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LaLola View Post
    Off topic: Miki is dating Javier? Wow!
    isn't Javier dating Cathy Reed?

Custom Title
    about miki and javier is a rumour going on since this autumn but only rumour...

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smia View Post
    Help from who? Here's the judging panel and technical officials.

Officials SD - Ref Coton GBR), TC Leaver (USA), TS Higashino (JPN), TS Ponomarenko (RUS), Panel - Rogers (USA), Hurth (FRA), Laur (EST), Clark (CAN), Kato (JPN), Alpern (ISR), Heidler (AUT) Langton (AUS), Buchanan (GBR)

There are two Americans, two Brits but only one Russian and an Estonian but based on the name, I doubt s/he's ethnically Russian.

ETA: Oh and also two Japanese. The panel is very skewed against eastern Europeans. Only two from that side of the continent whereas there are four from western Europe and three from North America so I'm not sure where your sour grapes is coming from.
    I was only speculating because I/K have been touted by the media as the Russian team to beat here. I've heard far more about I/K than B/S going into this event from the press. I'm not sour at them, I think they're extremely talented and have some of the best skills I've seen of a team coming out of juniors (not to mention they are such a cute couple). You bring up a good point though with the nationality of judges, seeing Team Canton's large scores.

Custom Title
    Haha, then we have our commentators gossiping...great!

Custom Title
    I really like b/s short dance, they should go in 2nd...
    Last edited by kiz_4Ever; 04-29-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Skating order makes very little difference in scoring under the COP. Anybody familiar to the judges are more likely to get higher and fairer scores, regardless of when they skate. Anybody who is a stranger to the judges is liable to be lowballed even if they are the last to skate.

If they're moved deliberately, it's vastly more likely to be a concession to TV broadcast ratings (they want more Russians in the final group to make sure people stay tuned in).
    Cheating in figure skating are done in much more direct ways than reshuffling something so irrelevant and hoping it makes a difference.
    Your explanation sounds plausible. It would be nice though, if someone of official capacity esplain when an irregularity like this occurs. It's the lack of transparency that bleeds "conspiracy."

Custom Title
    Wow, that's a surprise. Russians behind the Shibs!

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smia View Post
    I/K's is much more dramatic and charismatic.
    I find I/K's drama to be overused and campy at times
    I guess it just comes down to a difference with this though, and I respect yours!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast