How would you have scored/ranked the MEN at Worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How would you have scored/ranked the MEN at Worlds?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Am I the only one that thinks that every skater in the top 10 was correctly placed?
Joubert, Oda, Kozuka and Taka are my personal favorites. I would love to see them all on the podium. Guess what? There are only 3 medals. So we just have to deal with it. Chan was correctly awarded with the gold medal.
Kozuka was correctly awarded with the silver medal
Artur was correctly awarded with the bronze medal.
We can feel that some skaters have more potential than others but if they don't deliver when it matters than there's not really anything to whine about.

No you are not. I agree with the top ten placements.

^^^
I've come down hard on Gachinsky and I have not been fair after reading so many favorable posts of him. However, I do not like much about him except he lands the high level jumps and maybe that's enough to give him the Bronze medal. If someone could look at the protocols and see how he was judged other than on his jumps, I'll agree with you as a case for the CoP.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^i like a lot his lp from two years ago when he was at juniors. And in Junior Worlds last year he was a crwod favorite.
I think the men who were better skaters and much more experienced at Worlds than Gatsinsky blew it, nobody deserved this bronze the way they skated, maybe Arthur should have his chance to find his identity, he has been hyped since he was ten as the next big thing, he is only 17 , he was the only one to represent russia in men and he skated in home ice and skated better than many big names there.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Chan deserved to win and Kozuka to be second, in my opinion. The third place is difficult... Although Gachinski jumped well, his programme was lacking in so many other areas compared to some other skaters. It is unfortunate that he was given the bonze because now I don´t see his coach making any improvements regarding his programmes/skating. I would rather have Oda or Brezina as bronze medalist.

Anyway, in the fall it will be interesting to see how Gachinski fares in PCS outside Russia, hopefully the scores will be more realistic!!!

Last edited:

Neda

Rinkside
I'd want to thank seniorita and others who found words to pay tribute to the boy. He really was under great pressure being assigned Chip and Dale in one person after last year's fiasсo of our sportsmen. He is too young, he is still learning but this was not taken into account. After dozens of interviews with stupid questions, after constant attaсks from insolent fans who demanded him to get tikets for them, and at the end watching mad crowd on the stadium I was sure he fails entirely. But he skated the best skate of his life. I don't know where the kid found nerves to get through it but I believe he worth some respect.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Anyway, in the fall it will be interesting to see how Gachinski fares in PCS outside Russia, hopefully the scores will be more realistic!!!

^ by your saying is like asking what kind of marks did Lysacek get outside USa after wolrds 2009 in LA, and I would say pretty good marks, + 10 boost in pcs, much realistic.

Arthur pcs in sp from Euros in Bern (outside Russia) are almost the same, 34.76 to 35.89,the difference was in Lp from 72 to 77.86 which is the home overscore of course plus he skated much better than euros.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
^ by your saying is like asking what kind of marks did Lysacek get outside USa after wolrds 2009 in LA, and I would say pretty good marks, + 10 boost in pcs, much realistic.

Arthur pcs in sp from Euros in Bern (outside Russia) are almost the same, 34.76 to 35.89,the difference was in Lp from 72 to 77.86 which is the home overscore of course plus he skated much better than euros.

If Artur had Lori Nichol as his choreographer his marks would have been higher. Imagine how Flatt gets level 4's for her slow, mediocre skating :eek:

Mishin needs to get with the system which is as political now as when he and Tat were calling the shots. Only difference is that Nichol and Wilson are telling the judges how to mark now.

What a silly sport.

BTW, I like this 17 year old Russian skater. With the right CoP politics behind him he will go far.

^^^
I agree, politically he will go far even winning the Olys, but do I have to like him politically? well, perhaps I can say ok to that, but in personal taste, it's NO.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont mean you Joe but since Russia took this Wolrds I read about ten posters per day about Russian politiking, I didn read it in Vancouver2010 about Canada neither Japan about Worlds, suddently Russian skaters will win with the right boost while the rest deserve what they get, I guess I have to get used to reading it till Sochi (or not), still I find it insults my intelligence and it puts me off to continue discussions and this is not just me.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I dont mean you Joe but since Russia took this Wolrds I read about ten posters per day about Russian politiking, I didn read it in Vancouver2010 about Canada neither Japan about Worlds, suddently Russian skaters will win with the right boost while the rest deserve what they get, I guess I have to get used to reading it till Sochi (or not), still I find it insults my intelligence and it puts me off to continue discussions and this is not just me.

Geez seniorita, don't you know...it's only politicking when the EVIL CORRUPT EUROS do it. ;)

Anyways, on a sadder note, we clearly did not sacrifice enough small animals for Daisuke at Worlds. :scowl:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^I know :( I just caught up the worlds after weekend. It was not meant to be his season. Still he had so much charisma that I felt the arena was full of his skate! The audience adored him! But on a happier note, I read his press conference and I m thrilled he will go for third Olympics till Sochi, I didnt expect it.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think it was scored properly. While it was weird that Gachinski was on the podium, that was easily explained by Takahashi's boot problems and Oda's bad counting, not bad judging at all. The only complaint I have is that Peter Liebers was undermarked in the short program. Javier Fernandez may have been a little undermarked too, actually. I expected Ryan Bradley to score a bit higher too, but I have to admit he was skating verrrrryyyyy slowlyyyyyy.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

While it is off putting, there are people who still believe that V/M's Olympic Gold was solely due to politicking, a trade made with the US Federation, and the number of people asserting that Shpilband/Zoueva now control the ice dance podium is rather astonishing as well.

I'm sure the small animals are relieved, evangeline!

seniorita

Record Breaker
While it is off putting, there are people who still believe that V/M's Olympic Gold was solely due to politicking,
^ it is insane for someone to even imply that V/M were not the best and deserved the gold.This is not figure skating fans. And it sounds the same bad as the russian plots till Sochi. I ll try to skip that kind of posts.

There's really not much more one can say about the placements of the MEN. No one could possibly imagine Chan as not the winner or any kind of conspiracy to make him the winner. He was the best solo skater at the Worlds, and imo, followed by Kostner.

While I am not a big fan of Kozuka, I did believe his Silver was deserved, and I doubt anyone else would think differently.

I, and others questioned the placement of Gachinsky, who showed a remarkable display of Jumping skills. My problem was the CoP. What were his protocol numbers for the rest of his program? Did the judges score him properly in other facets of the CoP requirements? He did skate CLEAN, and that is important for me since I am a believer that Senior Skaters, like Ice Dancers, and Pairs should not FALL. He didn't and that's a big plus. Since I do not believe there was any conspiracy, I just wonder how the judges would have score his spins, step sequence, his musicality, and his overall program.

We have to remember that the Judges make up the scores - not the Skater.

bsfan

On the Ice
I don't think as a fan I can judge if the placement was right or not. It was the judges' work. I appreciated Gachinsky's performance and he wasn't bad in non-jumping areas either. He earned the medal.

What makes me wonder, is the purpose of this thread. It looks ill-wished since from the moment competition finished, everyone cheered about 1st and 2nd places. Gachinsky was a surprise to a lot of people. And made many unhappy. The thread seems to want drill more on his medal, give people a place to put more bad things on him. If he wasn't Russian, wasn't training with Mishin along with Plushenko, he would have been cheered as the other two medalists.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There certainly has been some Gachinsky criticism in this thread, but Blades, who is the OP, placed Gachinsky 3rd, just as did the judges, so it's obvious that his intent was not particularly to bash Gachinsky.

I think the point of this thread is really the ongoing discussion about "Did the US send the Right Men's Team to Worlds?) which was about the placements of Miner and Dornbush, and whether Abbott should have replaced Miner (or Dornbush) going into Worlds. At least one poster asked Blades to justify his belief that a correctly graded Miner belonged in 6th place. A defense of that position is at least one of the reasons for posting a thread about where you would have placed the men.

gkelly

Record Breaker
My question, about the younger American guys, is how did their actual skating compare, to each other and to the other guys at that level. Do we know anyone who was there who can give firsthand impressions? (If not from Moscow, then how about from Nationals?)

Just watching on TV, it seemed to me that Dornbush got more speed and deeper edges, whereas Miner had more precision in his edges and body alignment.

They both had good choreography with plenty of in-betweens, IMO. But I think Miner's comparative lack of power required him to do lots of crossovers in a row the few times he did do crossovers to set up big jump passes, which may have made more of an impression on Bluebonnet than the complexity in the rest of the program.

They weren't going to catch up with Gatchinski or even Brezina overall because of the quads. Should they be in the same range, even higher, on PCS? Or did they just not have the same command of the ice? It's hard to tell on video.