Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How would you have scored/ranked the MEN at Worlds?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^I know :( I just caught up the worlds after weekend. It was not meant to be his season. Still he had so much charisma that I felt the arena was full of his skate! The audience adored him! But on a happier note, I read his press conference and I m thrilled he will go for third Olympics till Sochi, I didnt expect it.

I think it was scored properly. While it was weird that Gachinski was on the podium, that was easily explained by Takahashi's boot problems and Oda's bad counting, not bad judging at all. The only complaint I have is that Peter Liebers was undermarked in the short program. Javier Fernandez may have been a little undermarked too, actually. I expected Ryan Bradley to score a bit higher too, but I have to admit he was skating verrrrryyyyy slowlyyyyyy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I dont mean you Joe but since Russia took this Wolrds I read about ten posters per day about Russian politiking, I didn read it in Vancouver2010 about Canada neither Japan about Worlds, suddently Russian skaters will win with the right boost while the rest deserve what they get, I guess I have to get used to reading it till Sochi (or not), still I find it insults my intelligence and it puts me off to continue discussions and this is not just me.
    While it is off putting, there are people who still believe that V/M's Olympic Gold was solely due to politicking, a trade made with the US Federation, and the number of people asserting that Shpilband/Zoueva now control the ice dance podium is rather astonishing as well.

I'm sure the small animals are relieved, evangeline!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    While it is off putting, there are people who still believe that V/M's Olympic Gold was solely due to politicking,
    ^ it is insane for someone to even imply that V/M were not the best and deserved the gold.This is not figure skating fans. And it sounds the same bad as the russian plots till Sochi. I ll try to skip that kind of posts.

There's really not much more one can say about the placements of the MEN. No one could possibly imagine Chan as not the winner or any kind of conspiracy to make him the winner. He was the best solo skater at the Worlds, and imo, followed by Kostner.

While I am not a big fan of Kozuka, I did believe his Silver was deserved, and I doubt anyone else would think differently.

I, and others questioned the placement of Gachinsky, who showed a remarkable display of Jumping skills. My problem was the CoP. What were his protocol numbers for the rest of his program? Did the judges score him properly in other facets of the CoP requirements? He did skate CLEAN, and that is important for me since I am a believer that Senior Skaters, like Ice Dancers, and Pairs should not FALL. He didn't and that's a big plus. Since I do not believe there was any conspiracy, I just wonder how the judges would have score his spins, step sequence, his musicality, and his overall program.

We have to remember that the Judges make up the scores - not the Skater.

Custom Title
    I don't think as a fan I can judge if the placement was right or not. It was the judges' work. I appreciated Gachinsky's performance and he wasn't bad in non-jumping areas either. He earned the medal.

What makes me wonder, is the purpose of this thread. It looks ill-wished since from the moment competition finished, everyone cheered about 1st and 2nd places. Gachinsky was a surprise to a lot of people. And made many unhappy. The thread seems to want drill more on his medal, give people a place to put more bad things on him. If he wasn't Russian, wasn't training with Mishin along with Plushenko, he would have been cheered as the other two medalists.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    There certainly has been some Gachinsky criticism in this thread, but Blades, who is the OP, placed Gachinsky 3rd, just as did the judges, so it's obvious that his intent was not particularly to bash Gachinsky.

I think the point of this thread is really the ongoing discussion about "Did the US send the Right Men's Team to Worlds?) which was about the placements of Miner and Dornbush, and whether Abbott should have replaced Miner (or Dornbush) going into Worlds. At least one poster asked Blades to justify his belief that a correctly graded Miner belonged in 6th place. A defense of that position is at least one of the reasons for posting a thread about where you would have placed the men.

Custom Title
    My question, about the younger American guys, is how did their actual skating compare, to each other and to the other guys at that level. Do we know anyone who was there who can give firsthand impressions? (If not from Moscow, then how about from Nationals?)

Just watching on TV, it seemed to me that Dornbush got more speed and deeper edges, whereas Miner had more precision in his edges and body alignment.

They both had good choreography with plenty of in-betweens, IMO. But I think Miner's comparative lack of power required him to do lots of crossovers in a row the few times he did do crossovers to set up big jump passes, which may have made more of an impression on Bluebonnet than the complexity in the rest of the program.

They weren't going to catch up with Gatchinski or even Brezina overall because of the quads. Should they be in the same range, even higher, on PCS? Or did they just not have the same command of the ice? It's hard to tell on video.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3