Opinions for the Men | Golden Skate

Opinions for the Men

Please NO PREDICTIONS ! Just your opinion of each skater's making the Podium.

Goebel - There is a good deal of improvement in his presentation. At the same time it appears that his technical has become faulty. Maybe the boots? hmmm. However, should be in top three.

Weiss - If he would stop posing so much and just skate with the flow, I think the whole look would golden.-up.

Jahnke - He's a good skater but I don't think podium bound.

Savoie - Like Angela, everyone loves him but like Angela, it just doesn't happen and this year even moreso.

Weir - Has a chance to win this but Nerves Nerves Nerves. He's second to none in the flow of skating. Maybe podium. (Hope so.)

Lysacek - This guy for me was a sensation in last year's Jr. Worlds. Given the lineup, he could be on the podium.

Others - Are there any? If so please add.

Joe

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
What's the diff between opinions and predictions? I think I get where you're coming from though- just assess the field, not placements?

I think the men's field is pretty open. I hope the guys come up with the goods and put some clean programs out there, but no one is skating out-of-his-head fantastic, so it's going to come down to who guts it out.

Goebel- I think Tim's got a lock on at least a place on the podium, even if he is having a little trouble. He might miss something here and there, but he's not likely for a meltdown. If it's close, he's also going to get the nod from the judges.

Weiss- Michael IS prone to a meltdown, and unless he can hold together relatively clear programs, he's going to be in trouble. His performance in GP has been spotty (yes, he won Skate America, but it was far from specatacular). He's been lucky that no other skaters are really laying down great skates.

Johnny Weir hasn't had a lot of exposure, or skating, since last year's nationals, so he's coming in as a bit of a wild card. Yes, he won eastern sectionals, but that wasn't against top competition either. Still, his artistry and skating technique are far above the others. I think this puts him in the running for the podium.

Matt Savoie- While he's been around for a while, and I think people are wanting to dismiss him, he was skating well until that equipment disaster last year. He seems to still have it in him to skate well.

And you forgot Scott Smith- he's got all the skills, and was 4th last year (if I recall correctly). He's had a so-so year so far, but who hasn't?!

Ryan Jahnke, Evan Lysacek, Nick LaRouche, Parker Pennington... there really isn't a clearly top level field here, so I think all of them have a shot at the podium. On the one hand, I think that will make for an exciting competition, but only if the men can manage to stay on their blades. Last year was beyond splatfest. Here's hoping nationals will bring out the best.

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
Goebel- From his equipment issues to the food poisioning, I think he's still trying to stabilize his season, so I'm not sure what will happen at Nationals. Love his SP, LP is only okay for me right now. I think he'll be on the podium.

Weiss- I like his SP better than his LP. Despite problems on 4toe, he's had a decent season and will probably be on the podium.

Jahnke- Love this guy's style, but so inconsistent! If he can pull it together with the jumps, he will make the podium, IMO.

Weir- Definitely competition to Jahnke for the podium, I haven't seen his programs, but have heard good things. Again it will come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes between him and Jahnke, IMO.

Savoie- He's been around for a while and with any mistakes from Weir and/or Jahnke he could make a run for the podium with a good skate.

Lyasek- Never seen him before, so can't comment.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Goebel - sure to be on the podium, but with his boot problems, not necessarily on top.

Weiss - Shucks! This guy really doesn't have a quad (hasn't ever landed a clean one that I can recall) and now his 3A has gone south, too. But he's been held up time and again by the USFSA. :confused: Maybe he'll retire soon and give the others a chance?????

Weir - After crumpling in last year's Nationals, the USFSA has punished him by awarding him no GPs and only one competition: Finlandia, where he won a silver medal. He won Sectionals in fine style, with all first place ordinals in both SP and FS. Let's hope this has given him the confidence to do a bang-up job at Nationals this time. He has the stuff to make the podium, and even win gold.

Jahnke - A likable guy with an enjoyable style, but his time on the World Team hasn't been stellar. So far this season, he's been disappointing, both at Campbell's and the GP. Can't see him on the podium this year.

Smith - Unlike Jahnke, Scott has made a bit of a splash internationally, with two silver medals to his credit. His jumps aren't all that reliable, though. Has a shot for the podium (but I'd rather see Weir there).

Savoie - Disappointing in his lone GP event. I really like this guy's style and would like to see him do better. Hoping he can finish in the top 6.

Lysacek - A real up-and-comer. He probably won't make the podium this year, but a top 6 placement is very likely.

Brauninger - Would love to see this 2003 Junior silver medalist finish in the Senior top 10.

Rohene Ward - I have heard a lot about this guy on other boards. I just hope ABC will show him.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Goebel -- sure, he has had some problems. It is therefore hard to really judge how strong he is. Still, he should be 1 or 2.

Weiss -- he's been all over the map in his GP event. Hard to predict, really.

Weir -- interesting to see how he will be doing. I'm hoping his coaching change to TT will have done him good.

Savoie -- based on his GP performance, shouldn't really be podium contender.

Smith, Janke -- either one could get a medal. I haven't really seen enough of them to have formed an opinion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the US Nationals are still using the 6.0 system correct? If so I think gold will come down to Mike and Tim, no one else... I mean last year's splatfest saw Mike BEATING Tim... with both men having somewhat similar showings this year in the GP I think it'll come down to how they skate the GPF as well as at Nationals... whomever really shows himself to be the stronger competitor...

Weir, Savoie, and Jahnke I GUESS all have good chances... I wasn't impressed with Jahnke last year... and I have never liked Weir's style... Jahnke was just LUCKY in a lot of respects last year... so it's up in the air, however I'm hoping Savoie can pull off a podium placement.

shine

Record Breaker
I hope Matt Savoie put down two great skates and finally earns some respect from the US judges. Their absolute lack of respect for a skater like Matt has made me so sick over the past seasons.

shine

Record Breaker
Sad isn't it, Joe? In 2002, Matt so should have been first after the short program and gone to the Olympics.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
his fall on his triple axel in the LP is what, I think, cost him a spot on the Olympic team (I sprained my toe cheering for Mike, so we all had our pains after that competition!)

my wish for the podium is to see Mike, Matt, and Tim someway assembled on the podium... I don't care what color any of them get so long as they all get a medal(though I'll be extremely excited to see a certain skater keep his title! LOL)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Goebel - Will be on podium in some position to be sure. Despite this season's problems. He's got too much hardware on his shelves to be overlooked.

Weiss - Think his LP stinks big time. Holds his arms as though they are carrying a large hot beach ball balanced on his thighs. Skates slowly. Poses. Can't jump anymore since he left Audrey. Time the USFSA stops holding the guy up. Which they will again no doubt. He too will be atop the podium.

For the third spot? Well, though Savoie is more of a vet, HE won't be held up. So this is wide open. Could be Savoie or Weir, if he doesn't have an Angela meltdown when he misses a jump. Lysacek? Will they elevate a guy still competing in junior events?

Will the judges reward any man who doesn't at least attempt a quad?

Actually I am really looking forward to the men's competition, for once.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm he was having trouble BEFORE he left Audrey, so I somehow don't see THAT as being the reason... and I think he's more consistant with Don than he has been in recent years with Audrey

and the USFSA isn't the "only" one holding him up if he "stinks"... he's done really well this season...

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Beg to differ, tonichelle. Weiss was jumping more consistantly before. Leaving Audrey was supposed to improve his skating. If you think it's better, fine. I think it's worse than I have ever seen it. I think the reason he has been atop the podium this season at all was because of others screwing up more.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
..........that Michael Weiss has two clean skates and keeps his National Title...................42

nymkfan51

Medalist
I think this will be a total crapshoot. The only thing I feel certain of is that noone will skate cleanly.
Timmy's season has been a disaster thus far ... Michael is incapable of skating clean ... and who knows about the rest. Your guess is as good as mine.
Go Evan!!!!

egskater0003

Rinkside
Rohene ward

(Rohene Ward) He's, okay. Well better than okay but just not really my cup of tea.

He's got a beautiful COE spiral like MK's and gets his free leg up at a really good position, esp for a guy and better than a lot of senior ladies as well.

He's like a Sandu/rudi galindo. hear he's inconsistent though, I saw him at regionals and he won there, but then he lost to Ben Miller at Sectionals. Kinda of funny because he beat Ben at Regionals. Don't think he's up there with the top of the pack yet, but who knows, with all the splat fests we've been seeing, anything can happen.

I'm more of Todd Eder. type of skater or a Victor P. or a Brian B.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Goebel : I think he'll try to get a feel for the ice on a 3/3 in the LP, and then decide whether to throw in the quad. He may also change his program, depending on whether he skates before or after Weiss. I think his boot problems will be somewhat alleviated, but he's been compensating all year for balance, and I don't know if he'll have his legs back by Nationals. Nonetheless I expect him to do a series of very fine elements to a well-choreographed LP, even if some of his jumps are dodgy.

Weiss : It's hard for me to imagine that he'll do anything differently than he's been doing all year: falling on or double-footing the quad (probably the latter), and mislanding several jumps (tight, extra turn). I don't think this will be good enough for the title this year, but I think he'll skate good enough, with very fine spins, and that patriotic (gag) character.

Savoie : He's also been compensating, but this time for the injury. I think he'd need a breakout skate, which he's capable of, but I expect him to be creative as always, but too tentative.

Weir : I think he needs to prove to Tarasova that he's strong mentally, but it may be too soon for her "attitude adjustment training" to have jelled completely. I think he'll do okay, but not the fantastic skates he'll need for the third spot.

Jahnke : I think after last year he's been trying to make big strides, and it may have been too ambitious. I think he's the best full-body skater among the US Men, with terrific posture and style, and fine use of his arms and upper body. He's capable of landing the 3A, but I'm not sure he'll land it with confidence at Nationals. On the other hand, he's old enough to treat this as a last chance, and maybe that will give him a "go for it" push, because if he's off the podium this year, I don't think he has that much of a chance to regain it next year.

Smith : I'm not sure he has two very clean programs in him. His style is a double-edged sword: it's beautiful to watch, but it's very exposed, and any bobbles are amplified.

Lysacek : He may be able to pull off a Lipinski, especially with a JGP title behind him, and a close second at last year's Jr. World Championships. What does he have to lose at Senior Nationals?

Pennington : I heard from people who went to last year's Nationals that his LP performance was one of the highlights. If he can skate with the same freshness for two programs, he should do just fine. It would be quite an accomplishment for Heiss Jenkins to produce a podium skater.

Delmore : I love his skating, but I think that no matter how well he skates, he'll never get credit for it.

I think the USFSA is going to go with Goebel, Weiss, and if they can justify it in any way, youth that has been successful in the international arena.

Matt

On the Ice
US Men

Goebel: Can still land the jumps despite equipment problems. Seems to have struggled with triple axel, but that may not mean anything. His skating has really improved, and despite illness, he's definitely a podium contender

Weiss: Will probably be a podium contender, though he's been all over the place with his jumps in the GP and needs to stay on his feet. Of course, no one stayed on their feet in last year's FP at Nationals, so who knows?

Lysacek: Seems to be really making waves on the JGP; had two great programs at the JGP final. He was 7th last year (I believe, check me on that) so he may do some damage. I would peg him as the one to watch

Weir: One of my favorites; I really want to see him do well because he's deserving of it. Only one season event at Finlandia (it was a silver, though), but he'll probably be there.

Smith: Another one of my favorites. Had a great Nationals last year, problems with the quad salchow this year (finished 10th in his GP event), but he's a strong skater, can land the triples and has nice spins

Jahnke: Very erratic in GP, has had problems with the triple axel all year (and no quad)

I regret I haven't heard of this Rohene Ward, but I'll keep an eye out for him; he sounds interesting.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yelyoh said:
Beg to differ, tonichelle. Weiss was jumping more consistantly before. Leaving Audrey was supposed to improve his skating. If you think it's better, fine. I think it's worse than I have ever seen it. I think the reason he has been atop the podium this season at all was because of others screwing up more.

I said in recent years... I'm not saying better or worse... I think Don's pushed him differently...

granted I am totally biased when it comes to both Mike AND Don... but I think the real problem is the choreography, not the coaching LOL