Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Thread: Ladies - Long Program

There definitely is a consistency of style by each skater. But the good ones are able to use a myriad of music borrowed from other sources like Spanish, Jazz, Folk, Ballroom, etc. We know they are not Spanish dancers but they have the rythm of the zapateados.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post

Michelle did not blow the Olympics twice on purpose either and did the best she could under the circumstances. Her case was different than Sasha's as Michelle was the best skater IMO at Nagano and SLC but failed to win. Doesn't mean I like her any more or any less.

Mao is an interesting one to consider. If she never wins the OGM or another WC I will always remember her for the beauty of her skating. That's how I will remember Sasha too.
    You know I agree with you on these points, Hernando. I don't love skaters because of the number of medals they have, or Katarina Witt would be my favorite skater of all, I think--or Carol Heiss. For me, Michelle and Mao have the magic that I go to skating to find. I also find that magic with Sasha's work.

Your points of style seem right to me also. I think of a skater's style as being equivalent to her (or his) "voice." When I listen to a piece of classical music, I can often tell the composer even if I don't know the work. (Not so much in the eighteenth century, but once the Romantic era hits full throttle.) Rachmaninoff, for example, is like no one else. If I knew more of the language of music theory, I could tell you why, but my ear knows it without such language. I can even identify a composer as French or Russian, even without knowing the particular composer. That doesn't at all mean that these composers have stagnated! As Robeye says using the metaphor of painters, any of these "voices" can explore any topic, theme, or emotion. With a good skater who has a sure and well-developed style (based on technical soundness), there are very few limits.

Olympia - You do have an afinity to music, expeciallly concertos. When I was in school I chose Music over Art and I learned the differences of Symphonies, Concertos, Rhapsodies, You might consider taking a course at your local college. They often have adult classes at night.

Skating, as in all forms of Dancing needs a rhythmic timing be it slow, fast, or neutral.

Custom Title
    Joe, I'd love nothing more than to take a music course! I will keep your suggestion in mind for a time when there are fewer demands on my time. Meanwhile, I make all the use I can of what I call YouTube University. Isn't it wonderful that so many music buffs have shared their enjoyment and expertise with all of us? And it's great that GS has music fans on its roster, as well as dancers and skaters. I always learn great stuff during my visits here.

Olympia - For whatever reason MUSIC is used in competitive figure skating. It's good to gather up some knowledge of music to understand how skaters use it as much as they use a quad. JMO.

Custom Title
    Don't worry, Joe. I'm on it. Been listening since birth. Love symphonies, concerti, chamber music (like that great Dvorak used by Lori Nichol for Michelle's "Black Swan"), even some opera. My top six: Brahms, Dvorak, Rimsky-Korsakov, Vaughan Williams, Rachmaninoff, Sibelius. I also love Baroque music, which didn't seem relevant to skating until that supreme original dance used by Denkova and Staviskiy, set to Lully's "Marche pour la ceremonie des Turcs" in 2003 or so. That made me realize that the possibilities for skating programs set to classical music were wider than previously thought. You're right about a good skate, fast or slow, needing a clear rhythm--the Lully proves it conclusively. Then there's jazz, folk, movie themes, classic Broadway....the mind reels with delight and hopes for choreographers with an imagination.

In fact, one might say I came to skating because of the music. It's no coincidence that my first top fave skater was John Curry.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51