Ladies - Long Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

rossdale

Match Penalty
For all those people saying that Yuna should have tried our her new programs at earlier competitions, they pretty much got their wish. When she arrived in Korea after the gala, Yuna strongly implied--but did not officially confirm--that she will skate at next year's 4CC and Worlds. (By this I mean she denied competing at next season's GP, but acknowledged she should do at least one competition before Worlds and mentioned the possibility of 4CC.)

There you have it.

What a great news?? I believe 4CC will be hosted by one of US cities... Do you know where it would be?? I want to see her!!!

Krislite

Medalist
What a great news?? I believe 4CC will be hosted by one of US cities... Do you know where it would be?? I want to see her!!!

It will be held in Colorado Springs, which is only a couple of hours away by flight from L.A. (her training base). That short distance is probably why she's more inclined next year.

Oh my goodness. I may actually be able to go. I would love to see Yu Na in person - and too many others to list.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I was not one who thought Miki would win. I thought it would come down to a battle between Yuna and Mao. I was wrong about that and Miki delivered the goods with a very clean SP and a very solid LP. The others made more mistakes.

I am happy for Miki who has been a terrific skater for many years. She is also an exceptionally nice young lady and a most worthy two-time World champion.

I can add that the Japanese skaters came to Moscow with heavy hearts. I think they handled themself with dignity and grace and Japan, along with skating fans from all over the world are proud of them.

ITA. Lets be honest!! Of the trio, who has the best chances of winning??? Mao is reworking on her jump techniques and she is a few rotations away from either being on the podium or off. @ 4CC she has 5-6 jumps errors and extended season means extral toll on the skater body. We know Mao being on the podium will be a miracle.

Kim hasn't compete the whole season and no matters how great you are, first competition jitters are always there, even if you have a nerve of steel. Clearly the nerve got better of Kim that night and she doesn't utilize the extra competition opportunity to finetune her programs full potential.

Ando been skating all season, loose weight and has the motivation. She is clearly trained the best and competed the most of the trio. In the end the skater with the most training and competition experience prevail.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I just got a chance to look at the score sheet, and Kim's visibly under rotated 3Sal-1T got no negative GOE? Does anyone not have a problem with that? :mad:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It wasn't underrotated more than 1/4 and had a transition directly into it, which is what I think threw her off to begin with: the timing of trying to execute it in competition. -1 GOE would have been fair but a 0 isn't outrageous.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
That's not a question any of us can answer because we don't know enough about the circumstances and degree of injury.

Now please see the thread about "HEART."

Rachael skated with a painful injury and surely tried to do her best. She is one tough cookie :yes:
That is enough to gain my admiration.

I thought long and hard before replying to this - well, 30 seconds anyway - and I totally and completely disagree on the topic of competing with an injury. Its simply a stupid thing to do. I was all about Michelle getting her shot in 2006 and that was wrong. Encouraging athletes to compete injured is wrong. No one knows their body better than a athlete, amature and pro alike, and they know when to let it go and they never want to but sometimes the grown ups need to shut it down - esp young athletes. Where was Team Flatt?

And no, I'm not talking about medals, MiRai, national pride or three spots. I'm talking about being responsible to the kid paying the bills. We ask so much of these kids - that we need to also say no to them. Rachael has been off all season and yet she continued to skate. Are we surprised that whatever is ailing her finally said "enough."

I'm sick of this "heart" conversation. That's not heart, that's madness. What exactly are we doing to these kids and their young bodies? I speak from experience. My 13 year old son is plays soccer. This past fall, he tweeked his groin - nothing serious, but he should've sat out and rested. But he has so much "heart" that his coach, trainer, dad and I decided that we'd let him play with the promise that he'd "take it easy." Needless to say, he took a hard shot, pulled his groin and was out for four weeks. That night, my husband and I looked at each other and wondered if we had been smokin' crack all week.

Now, does my kid's soccer season compare to skating at the World Championships? Heck no. But parents, coaches and support staff need to wake up and get real about the long term damage that "sucking it up" and "competing with heart" actually mean: young athletes with shorter careers because someone didn't have the sense to say enough.

Rachael can be a tough cookie - all the skaters are tough cookies. But she should've been a tough cookie from the stands and chatted with Tara Lipiniski about the importance of long term health vs. short term gain.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
It wasn't underrotated more than 1/4 and had a transition directly into it, which is what I think threw her off to begin with: the timing of trying to execute it in competition. -1 GOE would have been fair but a 0 isn't outrageous.

It was more like 1/2 a turn underrotated. Take a closer look. Had anyone not get -GOE for single toe combo?

shine

Record Breaker
I had tears in my eyes watching Carolina's LP. It's beautiful program to begin with, but she skated with such joy and soul this time that made it so breathtaking to watch. Rochette's Olympic SP aside, I don't think a single ladies performance has moved me as much as this one did in the past decade. There was so much beauty, musicality and freedom in that performance. And on top of all that, her flow was just stunning. Everything just clicked. I'm sure I'll be watching this performance over and over and over in years to come.

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
Yeah Caro was great, so to was Alissa, they both moved me!! I have to say so did Viktoria Helgesson her free is great too!

Ira Vannut, Juulia Turkkila, Mae Berenice Meite and Kanako Murakami impressed me to at their first worlds, hope they continue to improve.

SXTN

Final Flight
I had tears in my eyes watching Carolina's LP. It's beautiful program to begin with, but she skated with such joy and soul this time that made it so breathtaking to watch. Rochette's Olympic SP aside, I don't think a single ladies performance has moved me as much as this one did in the past decade. There was so much beauty, musicality and freedom in that performance. And on top of all that, her flow was just stunning. Everything just clicked. I'm sure I'll be watching this performance over and over and over in years to come.

If she was consistent with her jumps, she'd be the queen. I mean look at her first flip and salchow... Yuna should take notes :laugh:

Carolina skates the best in the ballet-like style of figure skating. Mao could work on that. Kim is not a ballet-like skater. Miki can but not always and imo, Carolina's Debussy was better than Miki's Chopin. Not talking about Results - just styles. Alissa was too tentative.

miki88

Medalist
Carolina skates the best in the ballet-like style of figure skating. Mao could work on that. Kim is not a ballet-like skater. Miki can but not always and imo, Carolina's Debussy was better than Miki's Chopin. Not talking about Results - just styles. Alissa was too tentative.

:unsure: Okay maybe we've really see things in different ways but I never thought Kostner was balletic. She does have great speed but I always found her movements to be a bit awkward. But I do agree her LP is better than Miki's.

seniorita

Record Breaker
you think Carolina has more balletic lines than Mao? When Mao is on mood I think she is spectacular, her extention, arms, head ,everything.. but thats when she decides to skate with commitment. Carolina I liked her gala a lot

you think Carolina has more balletic lines than Mao? When Mao is on mood I think she is spectacular, her extention, arms, head ,everything.. but thats when she decides to skate with commitment. Carolina I liked her gala a lot

I agree. Mao is the most balletic of the current skaters to me. It isn't just flexibility but a kind of fluidity. By contrast, I generally find Carolina a bit coltish, partly due to her speed. Either way, she's very very appealing. I can't wait to see everyone skate! I'm especially looking forward to Carolina's long program, from the comments of so many of you.

nikiya

Rinkside
I agree. Mao is the most balletic of the current skaters to me. It isn't just flexibility but a kind of fluidity. By contrast, I generally find Carolina a bit coltish, partly due to her speed. Either way, she's very very appealing. I can't wait to see everyone skate! I'm especially looking forward to Carolina's long program, from the comments of so many of you.

First post.

Exactly, as a ballet teacher I'd have to say this is correct. Balletic has more to do with fluidity of movement and lines than being stereotypical long-limbed like say, Yuna or Caro. I must say however as someone who's followed (maybe not kept up as much as I'd like) skating since early 90s, I'd rate Mao just under Lucinda Ruh and the more recent Shizuka Arakawa (she seems to get better as pro), they're all balletic skaters with line, extension, turnout, and fluidity. Some people mistakenly think Sasha is balletic, but this is wrong IMHO. Sasha hits some extreme, rhythmic gymnast-like poses, but compare her style to Lucinda's and there we see the difference.