Ladies - Long Program | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Oh and I hope Yu-na's not too upset with her performances. They were disappointing, yes, but fine given her total lack of competitive experience this season. Nothing to beat oneself down for. On a more positive note, she's won her fifth consecutive Worlds medal, which is second only to Michelle's nine, and she's been able to maintain her podium record, which is unprecedented. Also, no matter what, she's still an Olympic and one-time Worlds champion.

It's rather surprising that she's only a one-time WC given her consistency and caliber.

What consistency???? I would agree Yuna is a one of a kind caliber compare to other skaters, but i wouldn't call her consistent. Of all her 5 WC, she didn't skate a single WC with clean Sp+LP. Let see:

2007: 2 falls on LP
2008: 1 fall in SP, 1 pop jump in LP
2009: 1 badly underroatated 2S in Lp
2010: 1 < jump, + missed spins and spiral, 1 fall and 1 poped jumps (prob her worst competition)
2011: 1 set out in SP, one poped jumps and 1 minor mistake on singling a jump.....

I would hardly call that consistent!! To be hornest her olympics performance was the most dynamic and cleanest of her career!! Don't get me wrong, Yuna did have the potential to match Michelle a complishment, but what stopping her from winning multiple WC title is herself...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Here is the an excerpt from the ISU protocol:

Ando's spins: FSSp4 = 3.0 ; CCoSp4 = 3.5 ; FCCoSp4 = 3.5
Kim's spins: FSSp4 = 3.0 ; CCoSp4 = 3.5 ; LSSp4 = 2.7

Notice the bold part in red, which indicated the only different spin type between the two skaters given that the other two cancel each other out and are indicated in green to make obvious. If you really want to do a good job at BS through a lot of words, at least get your facts right.

Your specific words were "Miki Ando upgraded her Flying Spin to a Change-of-Foot Combination Spin and Yu-Na did not." This is factually wrong. Miki did not upgrade her Flying Spin. And the breakdown you just pointed out is exactly what I just said...Yu-Na lost .8 points in base value by doing a Layback spin instead of another Change-of-Foot Combination spin (with flying entrance of course). You have no point. I know exactly what I am talking about and you either can not understand me or you are so distraught about how wrong you are that you have nothing else to talk about and are determined to twist my words around to make yourself look better.

I am not even going to bother with the rest. It's amusing how you have two standards for applying penalty on errors where Chan can receive double of the deduction for a lesser error while Czisny's error, a fall, only should be deducted based on the existing rule and how suddenly, you claim "How I want CoP to be graded on the tech mark is not the system that was in place here". That certainly wasn't the tune you were singing in the Men's LP thread and how you justified placing Chan behind Kozuka.

Again, you have completely misunderstood what I've said. I feel that deductions for mistakes need to be increased, yes. I never said Chan deserved to be scored on that separate criteria, though. What I DID say is that Chan clearly deserved -2 GOE for his Triple Axel and IF a more accurate system for mistakes was in place, he should have lost twice the amount of points that he actually did with the scores the judges him (that were incorrect, as they were not all -2's as they should have been) and the current scoring system.

I think Kozuka deserved to place ahead of Chan in the Long Program under the CURRENT scoring system. He factually received a higher technical score than Chan did from the judges/scoring system at the event and it was Chan's PCS that won him the LP. I believe Chan deserved higher PCS than Kozuka, although not nearly to the extend that the judges handed out, and I believe Kozuka should have been even further ahead of Chan on the tech mark, under the criteria of the CURRENT scoring system, putting him slightly ahead overall in the LP. Chan obviously deserved to win the entire competition by a long way when taking the SP into account.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Miki won't retire and will take in all the criticism and improve herself.

Anyway, as a big Miki fan I am wrinting here my BIG CONGRATULATIONS hor her !

Good to hear! She will be what?? 25 next year??? Will she be too old to be competitive??

Krislite

Medalist
Good to hear! She will be what?? 25 next year??? Will she be too old to be competitive??

I read somewhere she's taking a break next season. The word is "break", so she's not retiring yet as far as we know. But she won't be competing for a while at least.

figurejennah

On the Ice
errmm who died and made you king?
but really, who the hell are you to tell her or even make suggestions as to how she should handle her ALREADY SUCCESSFUL career??
yeah she's got many years ahead of her but she's done enough to leave a legacy - OGM, WGM, GPGM, 4CCGM, never off the podium, headlining successful shows, (getting MK to skate again!) starting a skating revolution in Korea.. just to name a few.
but dude, honestly... did she steal your lunch money? is that why you're always such a sour puss when it comes to Yuna? but whatever, your opinion's your opinion :sheesh:

Wow I couldn't agree with you more. When I was reading Wallylutz's posts, I couldn't stop asking myself, what da heck is wrong with this person??? Seriously, some people come here not to have reasonable and legitimate discussions about figure skating, but to bash other skaters for no reason. This is just plain hating. I absolutely CANNOT believe wallylutz said "Though I hope she will take this lesson in strides and if she decides to remain eligible for ISU competitions that she comes back stronger next season and takes her skating career a little more seriously." This is just laughable. Yuna taking her career a little more seriously??!?! LOL Wow.

Like you said, Yuna probably achieved everything a figure skater could dream to achieve... she acquired every possible title there is!!! Not to mention she has the highest world records AND I don't think I need to list all her other achievements....
It's difficult to have a motivation to return to competitions after achieving everything that you could dream of. I mean, isn't that why it took Plushenko several years to return to the competition!!!!!!!!!??
Anyone who's watched Yuna closely during her career knows how determined and hard working she is. If she wasn't, she would never have survived in the skating world with all the injuries that she suffered and all her other hardships that she went through.

As a fan, I am just happy and thankful that she returned to the field and showed us beautiful performances... and I hope Yuna won't ever care about her unreasonable and disrespectful haters.

The judges did not assess the GOE of the performances correctly. Yu-Na's Lutz passes were each worth +1 more GOE than Ando's. Her 3-jump combo was worth +1 more GOE than Ando's. Ando's 3Loop should have received 0 GOE (it was barely rotated, you can see the skid on the landing) and her 2Axel+2Toe should have received -2 GOE for the sideways, barely-rotated 2Axel she executed and the stepout on the 2Toe portion. Ando's 3Toe did deserve half a point more in +GOE compared to Yu-Na's 1F, though. All in all, that puts Yu-Na ahead of Miki by 2.4 points in the comparative execution of their jumps. Yu-Na deserved an extra half point over Miki for her footwork sequence because of having superior edge quality and going with the music better. She deserved an extra point over Miki for her spiral sequence because it was faster, most definitely went with the music better, and was more difficult. That puts Yu-Na ahead of Miki by a total of 3.9 points in GOE for their performances. Hey, guess what, that means Miki is only ahead of Yu-Na in technical merit by .59 points. And considering I feel Yu-Na should have been ahead of Miki in PCS by 6 points, that puts her ahead by some way in the LP.

:thumbsup: 100 % Agreed.
Also, I tried watching both Yuna and Miki's performances without their music.
If you haven't tried it, I suggest that you do, and you will see the difference between
their performances. I wish Yuna won, and I do think that she deserved to have won. But regardless of the color of her medal, Yuna will always be the true champion to me.

Last edited:

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Oh, random thought, but has anyone noticed that Mao's OTP the year after she becomes World Champ? 08 Gold, 09 OTP, 10 Gold, 11 OTP. Maybe another World title's coming up? :)

It's good to hear. I guess she needs some positive comments and some rest.;)

bibi24

Final Flight
Oh, random thought, but has anyone noticed that Mao's OTP the year after she becomes World Champ? 08 Gold, 09 OTP, 10 Gold, 11 OTP. Maybe another World title's coming up? :)

Sorry what does OTP stand for please?

One-Trick Pony? One True Pairing? On the phone?

figurejennah

On the Ice
What consistency???? I would agree Yuna is a one of a kind caliber compare to other skaters, but i wouldn't call her consistent. Of all her 5 WC, she didn't skate a single WC with clean Sp+LP. Let see:

2007: 2 falls on LP
2008: 1 fall in SP, 1 pop jump in LP
2009: 1 badly underroatated 2S in Lp
2010: 1 < jump, + missed spins and spiral, 1 fall and 1 poped jumps (prob her worst competition)
2011: 1 set out in SP, one poped jumps and 1 minor mistake on singling a jump.....

I would hardly call that consistent!! To be hornest her olympics performance was the most dynamic and cleanest of her career!! Don't get me wrong, Yuna did have the potential to match Michelle a complishment, but what stopping her from winning multiple WC title is herself...

You forgot about the fact that Yuna was suffering from serious injuries during 2007 and 2009 WC. You also forgot to mention that she set most world records and she practically won every single other competitions during the seasons. Also, after the olympics, I read from an article that Yuna did not want to participate in WC and she couldn't even practice for a while, which is totally understandable. Everyone was actually really surprised that she participated in WC as a OG Medalist.

Yuna was so consistent with her performances that in fact I remember everyone expecting to set a new world record every competition.

Last edited:

dlgpffps

Final Flight

I meant consistent in general terms. My entire post actually wanted to emphasize the fact that Worlds has never been her very best competition, which is interesting given her usual consistenty. Yu-na is pretty consistent, actually, especially when it comes to her 3-3s. Recently, she's been very vulnerable, yes, but I was giving an assessment of her entire skating career. And I think it's rather unfair to highlight Yu-na's (overall) consistency in those terms (looking at just Worlds), since she was competing while injured in two out of five. I think her Worlds track record actually corrobrates my belief that she does indeed have a measure of consistency, since she's been able to medal in all events despite different difficulties. 2007, 2008 she was injured. 2010 she ran out of steam after accomplishing her amazing Olympic feat. 2011 she returned to competitive ice after a full year off, but still managed to remain competitive. If you put her performances in context, she wasn't too shabby.

And really I think the fact that she's never been OTP her entire career is in itself evidence of her consistency unless you want to argue that consistent skaters must always deliver clean programs. Then it'd be interesting to see which skaters you would actually consider consistent.

And frankly I don't understand why you're saying Yu-na didn't win multiple World Titles because of her own faults because I never said Yu-na deserves any of the titles she's lost. I'm sorry if my post was misleading (although I think my thoughts were pretty clear). I just said it's interesting she isn't a multiple World Champion. She's won 13 out of her 19 senior competitions, but out of the six she lost, four were Worlds. She just doesn't seem to have much luck when it comes to the WC.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I supposed to be Off-The-Podium.

Yes, off the podium. I'm not that worried about Mao. Feed the girl, get some muscle back on her bare bones, and she will return in good shape, although it might take time. It's good that she's set her goal for Sochi -- something much more long-term, which probably gives her the inner strength to shrug off disastrous skates and move forward. The earthquake must have been emotionally draining for her. Can't believe she lost 10 kg in just a month.

ETA: Are there any interviews of Mao? I'd like to know how she's feeling.

Last edited:

figurejennah

On the Ice
This is what universal sports says about this competition:

SP- Kim not perfect, but still the best http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=gofigure/postid=531643.html
"Should Kim have the lead over Japan's Miki Ando, who skated a clean performance? Yes. .......Then there was Kim. Despite the mistake on her opening jump, Kim flew across the ice (Ando was a bit slow). She was committed to her performance, and you could feel her emotion from the top row of the lower bowl. It was a whole new level of performance."

Yuan Kim donate her prize money from the World Figure Skating Championships to Japanese earthquake and tsunami victims :thumbsup:

Her overall donations are estimated over 2.5 million dollars, right?

You are the Queen, Yuna :) :thumbsup:

What an angel. I don't know if I could have done the same if I were her. I thought the whole Japan-Korea rivary thing was way too harsh on her, and I thought it was ridiculous that Japanese TV crews were stalking her in LA. (Not to mention they were spreading horrific rumors about her, etc etc).
She truly has a huge heart.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Yes, off the podium. I'm not that worried about Mao. Feed the girl, get some muscle back on her bare bones, and she will return in good shape, although it might take time. It's good that she's set her goal for Sochi -- something much more long-term, which probably gives her the inner strength to shrug off disastrous skates and move forward. The earthquake must have been emotionally draining for her. Can't believe she lost 10 kg in just a month.

ETA: Are there any interviews of Mao? I'd like to know how she's feeling.

Oooooooooh, that makes more sense. I had thought it meant "on the podium," and no one's post was making sense to me. I heard she only lost 10 lbs in a month, which is better than 10 kg. Yuna and Miki are quite thin too, but they manage to make those jumps.

Figga

Rinkside
koreansoul, that really belongs more in the Yu-Na news thread than here, but good on her for doing so. Maybe this will spur on more of her fans to do the same.

About Mao's weight loss, it seems she went on a crash diet for this competition. Not good at all, but can't say I totally blame her. She had so much pressure to deliver. Luckily, Miki did.

Congratulations to the medalists!

joy k.k

Rinkside
Mao said she started to lose wight too early this time. I guess it's very hard for an athlete to peak at the right time, even for Mao.

feraina

Record Breaker
My boyfriend, who rarely watches figure skating, agreed to watch a few ladies FS videos with me, and he commented after seeing 2 seconds of Rachael Flatt: "She's not graceful at all."

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have ranked the SP:
1. Ando
2. Czisny (I feel her spins were not credited enough in GOE and her PCS should have been a little higher too.)
3. Makarova
4. Kim (a fall out of the 3Lutz and no 3+3)
5. Leonova
6. Kostner
7. Asada

I would have ranked the LP:
1. Ando
2. Kostner
3. Czisny
4. Kim (2 singled jumps)
5. Leonova
6. Murakami
7. Asada

My podium:
1. Ando
2. Kostner
3. Czisny

As much as I love Yu-Na, she just didn't bring what she is capable of at this championship in either performance and I feel she was very generously judged. It's very sweet to hear of her donations to Japan during this very difficult time for them. I've always admired her charitable spirit! :love:

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Miki! I was hoping for Alissa to medal, but I look at her performances at Worlds as a personal victory, and am so glad she will continue to skate.

mariposa

Rinkside
This is a bit off topic but...what is it with Canadian ladies???? I watch Canadian nationals every year and it seems the same few women are placed first, second, and third...and I think they all do very well with their performances BUT-what happens when they compete on an international level? For the life of me I can't figure it out. Do they have melt downs, or is it a confidence thing, etc.? I just don't get it. Can someone shed some light for the Canuck?