Ladies - Long Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

treeloving

Medalist
Miki is uninspired, but solid. I might have put Yu Na 3d to be honest..

Really? I think Miki skate very beautiful tonight, but as I like her so much, I may be bias hahaha! If only she did her 2A-3T like in 4CC, it will be perfect for me.

However, I agree with your analysis on Yuna.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Congrats to Miki, Yuna and Kostner! Lovely podium.

Even though not clean, Yuna's program was sublimely beautiful. The music is just WOW. I will cherish this program forever. Thank you, Yuna!

treeloving

Medalist
NOOOOO this means next year Laura and Kiira will have to battle for that world spot :(

Don't woory Finland get two spot, if the skater make it to LP then they get I'm not sure between 16 or 18 point but Kiira is in top ten so Finland will get 2 spots either ways.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
In the end, yes, I am very proud of Alissa.
5th place is not shabby at all.
Even though I would have put her before Leonova, I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter because Leonova didn't medal after all.
Alissa had an amazing season and I would like to rub it in the face of all the naysayers around here.
(No one specific comes to mind, mind you, but generally speaking.) Gosh, I'm in a feisty mood today. hehe.
Anyways, I hope she comes back next season pumped and ready to go with the same mental strength and attitude of this season.
If anything, I want her to have a world medal. She's a beautiful skater and so inspiring to watch. I couldn't contain my tears as soon as she finished her program. What a different skater compared to last season!

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Don't woory Finland get two spot, if the skater make it to LP then they get I'm nit sure between 16 or 18 point but Kiira is in top ten so Finland will get 2 spots either ways.

Unless I misunderstand what the ISU has to say, Rule 377 only guarantees the top ten wins two spots when there is only *one* entry from a country. When a country fields *two* entries, the total placements of the two skaters has to be "Not more than 28". I think confusion arises because when there is only *one* entry, the rule is "Not more than 10".

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Always with the interesting and bold posts :) I would love to hear the rational.

Well, look, Alissa made one mistake - falling on her Triple Lutz. Miki also made one mistake that is just as costly: doubling and stepping out of a Triple jump. Alissa's program is much better than Miki's and her spins are much better (notice how Alissa only earned a couple tenths of a point more for her spins in comparison to Miki...awful judging).

I actually think Kostner was better than both of them in this segment of the competition and I would have had her 2nd in the LP, but her fall in the SP keeps her off the podium overall.

Yu-Na was clearly the best. Her 3Lutz+3Toe deserved a +3 GOE for its perfection and her second Lutz was brilliant too. Yeah, she popped the Flip and singled a 2Toe, but that's only a couple points more worth of mistakes in comparison to the mistakes Ando made. Yu-Na's overall skating and program is worth far more than a couple points over Ando.

Murakami deserved 6th because her Triple-Triple combinations were unfairly called as UR at this competition. Mao Asada's 3A and 3T in the LP also should have only been called as < rather than <<, but I'd still have her slightly behind Murakami because her performance lacked it's usual energy, she made a mistake on a spin, and she should have been behind in the SP to begin with.

Makarova in 8th because her program is a hodgepodge of bad music cuts, her jumping was the weakest out of all the top 8, and the fall out of her last spin.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Korpi got 9th, but Turkkila got 20th. The limit is 28 when you have two skaters in the event. Finland's total is 29.

NO. Every skater in the LP who finishes from 16th to 24th still gets 16 points.. 9 + 16 = 25. Finland gets two spots.

lavender

Record Breaker
Cheers to Miki and Caro and a huge sigh of relief that the unpolished junior skating of Alena did not medal here. Having spunk is not the same as having TR, good CH and SS.

Thank you. Alissa should be ahead of Alena even with a fall. They almost put that horrid program on the podium. I'm sorry but that is a terrible program.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Even though she played it safe, Miki's skating has improved a lot, and I agree with the results here; I'm obviously very glad YuNa got the silver, but I didn't find her programme spectacular.... but I'm so happy she's the only one medallist who landed a 3-3 combo; I'm fine with Carolina getting the bronze, she clearly skated well tonight:) So finally I can say congrats to all of them, I'm really satisfied with the results! But I hoped Alissa could be on the podium, but oh well...Rachael's skating was so disappointing, I usually really like her:(
But I'm saying it again, I think Mao's got some problems, really....she's too thin and she seemed tired throughout the programme. Her legs, her chest, her face....I don't know, she just looked very unhealthy.:(

skatinginbc

Medalist
a huge sigh of relief that the unpolished junior skating of Alena did not medal here. Having spunk is not the same as having TR, good CH and SS.
I cannot agree more. Had Caro not skated well today and Alissa missed the bronze because of Alena's inflated PCS scores, I would have cried out loud for no justice in the world. Thank you Carolina!!!

amateur

Final Flight
Wow, they were harsh on Marakova! I had feared she was going to be handed that bronze, taking into account her SP lead over Kostner - but not even close! Marakova is a strong skater, but her programs really bugged me. Trying too hard. You feel she could do better with something smoother.

I enjoyed Leonova quite a bit more. She was a darling! Her SP was truly fantastic, a real highlight for me. LP not quite as much, showing a bit more empty, but she has a genuine sense of character which is really refreshing. I think her basic skating has improved over the past year of so too; I don't remember her being as smooth. I do agree with Leonova's placement, just barely out of bronze, and ahead of Czisny.

Czisny would have a more emphatic case if she didn't skate with that visible tentativeness all the time. That 2nd half of her program is just so gorgeous it doesn't matter.. but it is only by the end that you feel this, instead of all the way through, due to her tentativeness. With more attack, I would say that no question Czisny would be clearly above the likes of Leonova, but what Leonova showed was sufficiently smooth in technique and brimming full of character and attack, and this does put her in the game with Czisny, who projects caution.

Ando deserved the win, but that LP is completely and utterly unremarkable. For me, the problem 1st and foremost is the music - I have always strongly disliked that piece! I don't see what can really be done with it, artistically. She had an unexpectedly lovely SP, showing that she do it with the right material.

Kim was good. Just really good. This by her standards seems a let-down, but I think she had a good showing, and still did come off the classy ice-princess relative to the field, even if not the winner this time. The program was nice, would have come across much better I think if she were really sharp. Can't fault her for not being so - what skater is, on a program's competitive season-debut? (well, hopefully Virtue and Moir will be, later today :D)

In Mao's performance there was sadly very little of the artistic impact that I found in it at the beginning of the season. She seemes to be off in projecting, Not nearly as smooth and light as she can be. Perhaps she was really concentrating to get those jumps done. I do agree with her placement, yes even relative to Leonova.

Rachael looked sad. She just did not have it! I wonder if this is the end of the journey for her? If she continues, she really really has to work on posture and spins.

Kostner was a pure delight. Artistically that was easily the best performance, a great achievement.

I overall agreed with the judging, though Mao's score could have maybe been a touch higher, a bit closer to Czisny (though still behind) - was she hurt by being in the 2nd last group - she looked rather stunned by that score, for a mostly clean performance.

And though I didn't enjoy Makarova's program at all, I was still surprised that she was rather hosed by the judges. I wouldn't throw any accusations of fishy judging for the Russian ladies - as I said I do think Leonova landed in the correct spot, and if Kostner hadn't quite hit her program the way she did, Leonova in my mind would have been a worthy bronze medalist here.

Last edited:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Unless I misunderstand what the ISU has to say, Rule 377 only guarantees the top ten wins two spots when there is only *one* entry from a country. When a country fields *two* entries, the total placements of the two skaters has to be "Not more than 28". I think confusion arises because when there is only *one* entry, the rule is "Not more than 10".

You have misunderstood. Finland gets 2 spots next year regardless because Korpi finished in the top 10. If a skater finishes in the top 10, that skater's country automatically gets 2 spots next year. :)

kensal

Rinkside
I also agree that Leonova could have been very worthy bronze medalist. Looking at protocols between Kostner and Leonova, I am very surpirsed she was held down so much when they had great opporunity to push her.

I suspect had Leonova skated after Kostner, she could have got on the podium. Perhaps judges were hoping for Makarova to deliver.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
You have misunderstood. Finland gets 2 spots next year regardless because Korpi finished in the top 10. If a skater finishes in the top 10, that skater's country automatically gets 2 spots next year. :)

Thank you. I wish I had found that written in the ISU rules. Can you give me the ISU publication number where that appears, please? I want to have accurate rules records filed, and clearly, I don't.

katymay

Medalist
Alissa does not always hit the spins, but today all of them were on another level from the rest of the field. She may well be the best female spinner in the world, ever...(trying to dig up names from the past....Cohen's layback was wonderful, but as fast as Alissa? Don't think so) Judges are still rewarding power jumps, and inflated SS scores for skaters with power jumps. Even if she retires, she can retire with "worlds best spins" just as there are moves in the field that Sasha is still better at than anyone else before or after her. (spirals, split jumps, spread eagle...to name a few)
When I watched Alissa spin today, I wonder about the physics of it-she is a tall girl, not tiny and compact, and she shouldn't be able to spin that fast...but she does. Amazing.

kappa_1

On the Ice
Alissa does not always hit the spins, but today all of them were on another level from the rest of the field. She may well be the best female spinner in the world, ever...(trying to dig up names from the past....Cohen's layback was wonderful, but as fast as Alissa? Don't think so)

*Ahem*Lucinda Ruh, Nathalie Krieg*Ahem*

JeffyJosephNCA

On the Ice
Congrats to all the medalists, wasn't the best Worlds but I'm glad we got one this year despite almost not getting one at all! Also happy for Alissa for showing us she's a fighter, hopefully next year she will continue her journey of transformation! And not sure anyone mentioned it but congrats to Yuna for her 5th straight World Medal! The most since Michelle's 9 World Medals in a row!