Ladies - Long Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

jaylee

Medalist
In case anyone forgot, Rochette beat Ando at the beginning of this season at Japan Open.

That doesn't mean much. What performance would Rochette have given at Worlds 2011? She's only medaled at Worlds once, and Miki, prior to this competition, won Worlds and medaled at another.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
The placement is frankly quite irrelevant. Someone could have won the Worlds with several errors if we had a general splashfest on any given day, e.g. the situation of the 2006 Olympics. She skated far below her potential and many aspects of her skating have actually regressed. As a skater or any athlete, everyone's goal is to strive to improve. In other words, a Silver medal here is in part due to meltdown of a close competitor (Asada) and some no shows (Rochette).

Yu-Na skated well below her potential, and she arrived at these Worlds underdone having made the decision to sit out the Grand Prix series. I don't think anyone is denying that.

Your attitude, however, is frankly irritating.

wallylutz

Medalist
Yu-Na skated well below her potential, and she arrived at these Worlds underdone having made the decision to sit out the Grand Prix series. I don't think anyone is denying that.

Your attitude, however, is frankly irritating.

Too bad, because I am not here to make fans. And you are under no obligation to read my comments if you don't like them or if they bother you.

Kissx3

Final Flight
The placement is frankly quite irrelevant. Someone could have won the Worlds with several errors if we had a general splashfest on any given day, e.g. the situation of the 2006 Olympics. She skated far below her potential and many aspects of her skating have actually regressed. As a skater or any athlete, everyone's goal is to strive to improve. In other words, a Silver medal here is in part due to meltdown of a close competitor (Asada) and some no shows (Rochette).

I can see your point. She went from being the indisputable best by 20-30 points to just being great and one of the best. Still, who knows if that matters to her. And silver's not too shabby.

jaylee

Medalist
Can't say this is an outcome that makes me sad however. You get what you deserve and you just can't expect to do no competition at all the whole season in Figure Skating and come to win the World Championship as though you are coming to pick up your Academy award.

Based on this logic, Virtue/Moir don't deserve to win gold no matter what they put out there on the ice in the FD.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I doubt anyone is here to make fans, however here at Goldenskate we try to discuss things courteously.

Not even disagreeing with you on your points about Yuna being underdone and lacking refinement, but is there really a need for so much animosity?

wallylutz

Medalist
I can see your point. She went from being the indisputable best by 20-30 points to just being great and one of the best. Still, who knows if that matters to her. And silver's not too shabby.

Though I hope she will take this lesson in strides and if she decides to remain eligible for ISU competitions that she comes back stronger next season and takes her skating career a little more seriously. Some have managed their pro/marketing/show career and their skating career well at the same time. She is young and obviously has a lot to offer still, therefore, I hope the outcome here will motivate her to create an even more admirable legacy for the years to come, hopefully including at least Sochi 2014.

wallylutz

Medalist
I doubt anyone is here to make fans, however here at Goldenskate we try to discuss things courteously.

Not even disagreeing with you on your points about Yuna being underdone and lacking refinement, but is there really a need for so much animosity?

I am sorry, where you did see or read animosity? Please point out to me the specific sentences. I am not shy to edit my post(s) if you can show me I have used offensive or disrespectful words.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thanks to whoever posted this! First time seeing it without the feed freezing every 10 seconds. Yuna was exquisite. No way this was lackluster. I thought it was heartfelt and gorgeous and interesting. I will be re-watching it. Just hope she comes back last year and keeps this program. Even though made mistakes and won silver here she still seems to tower over the field in terms of the ease of her skating and the ease of her musicality and artistry. And nice to see her brilliant 3-3 here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rjulia2#p/a/u/0/oubZsdNQq4s

lcd

Match Penalty
Another day, another ugly thread.
Sad, sad, sad.

And this is from a group that actually SHARES something in common that involves LOVE for something.

No, I'm not a total idiot. I "get" the anonymous hate phenomenon of chat boards/comment posts, etc.

I just think "hate" is usually a sign of "fear" and thus, commonly a backhanded compliment. Just posted as such on the Short Dance thread. It's full bore here too I can see.

Carry on

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I am sorry, wallylutz. Perhaps you did not mean to offend by suggesting that Yu-Na was hoping to simply waltz in and claim the World Title as if she was claiming an Academy Award.

I too hope that Yu-Na sticks around. And Mao too, poor girl... I can't really express how sad I feel for her, although I am very confident she will bounce back like Mao does.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
You get what you deserve.

If only. Miki Ando's 0 GOE quality spins picked up +2's across the board. Yu-Na's spins were actually no better this time around and she was vastly overscored there just like Miki was, but the difference is that Yu-Na actually had a program. Miki Ando did not have a program. She had 2 opening jumps after starting with very little choreography, 2 spins back-to-back, a massively long and uncreative posing section, and then 5 jumping passes strategically placed directly after the halfway point of the program.

Yu-Na may have regressed from not competing all season but she was still superior to Miki Ando in every way imaginable, in terms of the PCS. Instead of deserving a 10+ point lead over Ando in the PCS, she deserved a 6 or so point lead.

Cerulean

Rinkside
Thanks to whoever posted this! First time seeing it without the feed freezing every 10 seconds. Yuna was exquisite. No way this was lackluster. I thought it was heartfelt and gorgeous and interesting. I will be re-watching it. Just hope she comes back last year and keeps this program. Even though made mistakes and won silver here she still seems to tower over the field in terms of the ease of her skating and the ease of her musicality and artistry. And nice to see her brilliant 3-3 here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rjulia2#p/a/u/0/oubZsdNQq4s

Yeah, I'm gonna watch it again just for the music, if not her dress. The whole ensemble--Yuna, costume, music--was wonderful and I hope she refines it going forward.

Having said that, I wonder whether the dress would not have been more stunning if it was done either in deep burgundy or sage...but what do I know, everything in my closet is either white or black.

herios

Medalist
Well -- here's my hopes. Everyone else has a meltdown except Alissa. She wins it, Yuna 2nd, Mao 3rd. Maybe 3 spots for US?

The obsession of the US posters for that ephemeric 3 spots for the US ladies is getting ridiculous. You will get it when you have TWO solid skaters who can bring it simultaneously. until then, wishful thinking.

Be happy that Czisny finished 5th, something last year looked an impossible task. And if you miss Mirai, tell her to be more focused when she needs to be and you'll see her a lot more on the big stage .

Yagudinah

Rinkside
Based on this logic, Virtue/Moir don't deserve to win gold no matter what they put out there on the ice in the FD.

Allthough I don't agree 100% => if they really skate best, they should indeed be rewarded with gold - I can understand that people prefer to see others win.

It's the most important competition of the year, it's not that weird that one likes to see people rewarded that are amazing AND have worked very hard all year long. Behind the screens Yuna might have worked just as hard as the people who have competed this year - it just doesn't feel like that, because you haven't seen her and you feel less... involved. If Yuna had won it would've felt a bit like stealing the cherry from the cake. Maybe justified by an amazing performance- but still, I'd feel sorry for the others.

+ V/M is not entirely the same as Yuna: not being able to compete because of injury is something else as choosing not to compete (unless there was some injury that I haven't heard of).

wallylutz

Medalist
I am sorry, wallylutz. Perhaps you did not mean to offend by suggesting that Yu-Na was hoping to simply waltz in and claim the World Title as if she was claiming an Academy Award.

I too hope that Yu-Na sticks around. And Mao too, poor girl... I can't really express how sad I feel for her, although I am very confident she will bounce back like Mao does.

I understand now. I can see why you would think I had animosity towards Yu Na. So let me put my remark in context. I don't like it when skaters, which include the Men's, Dance and Pairs when they decide to skip the whole season just to do the WC/Olympics unless it's due to injury. Yu Na is certainly not the 1st person trying to do that, but those who do and are not injured, seem to demonstrate some kind of contempt for this sport - that they are too good for you. Well, you can't possibly be too good in this sport, it's a dynamic environment. If Patrick Chan does that next season, I'll just say the same thing as well and expect him to do poorly at WC. The reality is virtually anyone who tried to pull this off since the modern era of skating, they all did poorly in the WC/Olympics. Hence, the smart ones, usually old veterans doing a comeback, e.g. Plushenko & Shen/Zhao last year, they all put themselves through the fires of competitions before the actual big event. By doing so, they are also signaling a respect for their competitors, which to me is important in this sport because we are not hockey or soccer, in this sport, we need to treat each other with respect and that includes competing.

I missed teh skating and am reading everyone's comments. Thanks for the link to the scores. Rachael is FOURTEENTH? What happened? But good for Alissa. She avoided a meltdown and saved us two spots, and I do hope she stays around and gets one of them next year (with Mirai in the other). And good for Elene, who made the top ten. Big sigh of relief for YuNa, who was taking a huge risk by staying away from competition for the entire season. And congrats to Kostner and Miki, two skaters, whose careers have now flourished for admirably long times. I'll look forward to watching everyone on YouTube.

What a roller coaster ride this has been! But considering the miraculous fact that we had a Worlds at all--and in the Spring, not in September, things went pretty well. I think that the two people I was most anxious for, YuNa and Alissa, can take satisfaction in their labors. The only one I would really shed tears for among the Ladies is poor Asada. I hope she can dust herself off and zoom to the top in the new season. She's too exceptional just to give up now.

alfoalfo

Rinkside
Though I hope she will take this lesson in strides and if she decides to remain eligible for ISU competitions that she comes back stronger next season and takes her skating career a little more seriously. Some have managed their pro/marketing/show career and their skating career well at the same time. She is young and obviously has a lot to offer still, therefore, I hope the outcome here will motivate her to create an even more admirable legacy for the years to come, hopefully including at least Sochi 2014.

errmm who died and made you king?
but really, who the hell are you to tell her or even make suggestions as to how she should handle her ALREADY SUCCESSFUL career??
yeah she's got many years ahead of her but she's done enough to leave a legacy - OGM, WGM, GPGM, 4CCGM, never off the podium, headlining successful shows, (getting MK to skate again!) starting a skating revolution in Korea.. just to name a few.
but dude, honestly... did she steal your lunch money? is that why you're always such a sour puss when it comes to Yuna? but whatever, your opinion's your opinion :sheesh:

back to the topic, i really really like Yuna's LP and I hope she somehow manages to squeeze that in her upcoming show. i know she said she'd be skating her Giselle program but her Arirang program is just a big WOW imo.
i also hope she can get Alyssa to skate in her shows too, cos she is one heck of a skater! i was actually bummed that she missed the podium as i thought that despite the error, she deserved a 3rd place finish. As for Miki, what a season it's been for her! im very happy for her and from what ive seen of her emoting in her SP, i say she has potential in her to not just be a jumping bean :)

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I think skaters get tired and need a break sometimes. This is what I think Yu na needed. It's been a journey for some of these skaters. I think it's more taxing for skaters that have the most pressure and expectations.