Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Long Program

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Poor Flatt... its almost lucky that this Worlds will not have long term impact because it was mostly ignored between Japan and the Royal Wedding. Maybe, if she's lucky, she will be forgiven by the crazies quickly and not subjected to an entire summer of "ITS ALL HER FAULT!" threads that Alissa was subjected to when she had a less than stellar Worlds...
    Don't count on it, this is Rachael Flatt we are talking about here. She had a world of very vocal haters when she was known as "Reliable Rachael." Now that "IT'S ALL HER FAULT!", can you imagine the number of trolls who are going to rear their ugly heads? And there's going to be the crying that if she knew she was this injured and unable to do her best, then she should have withdrawn so that Nagasu could have had a chance to help get those 3 spots. I shudder the thought and feel very badly for the poor girl.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    I'm with you RD... Nothing worse than a big ol' splatfest at Worlds to close out the season...sigh... But between the delays, venue changes, and whatnot are you really surprised?

Poor Flatt... its almost lucky that this Worlds will not have long term impact because it was mostly ignored between Japan and the Royal Wedding. Maybe, if she's lucky, she will be forgiven by the crazies quickly and not subjected to an entire summer of "ITS ALL HER FAULT!" threads that Alissa was subjected to when she had a less than stellar Worlds... And maybe this will provide MiRai with a wakeup call as she prepares for next year - sometimes a dose of "I coulda shoulda woulda done better" is just what a person's psyche needs in this world where we try to pretend that regrets have no value.
    Lord, I hope not. If anything this just shows that a meltdown can happen to anyone and at this point who are we really going to blame for having just two spots? Alissa had her meltdowns, Rachael had hers, Mirai had hers and the whole team in 2008 had theirs. So I really hope there isn't too much tedious talk of Mirai or whoever should have been sent because there is NO guarantee that Mirai would have done well either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    She was happy for Miki, said that the 1st place is well deserved and agreed with judges when she saw Yuna scores. She gave Miki a lot of compliments.
    Thanks! I was curious as to what Irina might have said in her commentary. She looks stunning btw!

Congrats to Miki!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved Carolina's program the best.
    Yu-na's spins and steps were fab (even better than last season), but her basic stroking was not to her usual standard and I think it showed, affecting her entries into jumps e.g. 3flip, etc.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    ...And there's going to be the crying that if [Flatt] knew she was this injured and unable to do her best, then she should have withdrawn so that Nagasu could have had a chance to help get those 3 spots.
    I won't be shy, I'll come out and say right now that I'm one of those people. However, I don't think that Nagasu's presence would have meant 3 spots automatically. For all I know, she could have had a repeat of 2010 worlds and performed completely uninspired and embarrassed herself as well. BUT- Like Kwan did in Torino, I really think that if Flatt KNEW she couldn't perform up to snuff, she should have WD for the benefit of Team USA. It's one thing if the injury happened during the competition, but sounds like it was bothering her as early as last week- we don't know if there were issues before then. (Also, there's the issue of whether Nagasu would have been prepared anyway, even if she was called upon)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Don't count on it, this is Rachael Flatt we are talking about here. She had a world of very vocal haters when she was known as "Reliable Rachael." Now that "IT'S ALL HER FAULT!", can you imagine the number of trolls who are going to rear their ugly heads? And there's going to be the crying that if she knew she was this injured and unable to do her best, then she should have withdrawn so that Nagasu could have had a chance to help get those 3 spots. I shudder the thought and feel very badly for the poor girl.
    I don't think Rachel will be subjected to these kinds of threads that Alissa was. Alissa was already on thin ice with people because her win at nationals that year was controversial and her 11th place finish didn't help matters at all.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I won't be shy, I'll come out and say right now that I'm one of those people. However, I don't automatically think that Nagasu's presence would have meant 3 spots automatically. For all I know, she could have had a repeat of 2010 worlds and performed completely uninspired and embarrassed herself as well. BUT- Like Kwan did in Torino, I really think that if Flatt KNEW she couldn't perform up to snuff, she should have WD for the benefit of Team USA. It's one thing if the injury happened during the competition, but sounds like it was bothering her as early as last week- we don't know if there were issues before then. (Also, there's the issue of whether Nagasu would have been prepared anyway, even if she was called upon)
    We don't have any reliable medal contenders anyway so who cares that much about the three spots? Three spots is nice but I don't think it would significantly improve our chances of winning a medal. Three spots wouldn't have helped Alissa not fall this time. Three spots wouldn't have guaranteed that Mirai wouldn't have freaked after being first in the SP.
    I'm glad Rachael competed at what could be her last worlds. (maybe, maybe not.) It's not like she's out there trying to save babies. It's just a spot.
    Anway, I guess I just can't help but think of figure skating as an individualistic sport more than a team sport. As a fan, I admit I pay attention to the USA skaters a lot but in the end if I prefer a foreign skater I'd much rather see that person on the podium that an American skater who I think isn't so great.
    Last edited by Layfan; 04-30-2011 at 11:24 AM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    ...By doing so, they are also signaling a respect for their competitors, which to me is important in this sport because we are not hockey or soccer, in this sport, we need to treat each other with respect and that includes competing.
    I would agree if you simply say that the absence of star skaters hurt the popularity of the sport.

However, your definition of showing "respect" to the sport and other competitors is simply ridiculous. Skaters skip the competitions because they are simply not ready due to the various reasons. It could be injury, emotional breakdown, finance, school, etc. Those athletes respect this sport more than anyone here; they devote their young life to the sport. What are you really talking about? Without them, there is no sport! They certainly deserve better respect from you.. If they need more time to prepare for the next big event, they should do it on their own terms.
    Last edited by Symmetry; 04-30-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I know what you're saying but I believe that, factually, Miki Ando is constantly overscord if you compare the scores she received on her spins to the scores other competitors received and the PCS she received with the program she skated. It's not my opinion but rather a facual analysis of the difficulty and quality of what she executed, just as it is not an opinion that a Triple Axel is factually the hardest Triple a person can execute. Jumps have set base values that differentiate them and thus judges are at least partially objective with regards to their scoring because they are forced to be. Spins, however, have the exact same base value. Every Level 4 spin is the same, according to the rules, even though a certain Level 4 spin might actually be 10x harder than another Level 4 spin (that's where GOE is supposed to come in to differentiate them).

Similarly, it is a fact that Miki Ando's program has a 40 second rest section where she doesn't do anything aside from completely basic movements. CoP is supposed to give the programs credit and evaluate both their choreographic difficulty and effectiveness (that second part is subjective, the first part is relatively not); Miki Ando's program hardly deserves the scores it receives.
    Now, that's more like it. I simply cannot tolerate when you go all crazy uber-fied, "wuz robbed!" It would be like reading a RD statement gushing over a skater. I cannot handle that much change in a world gone crazy...But in terms of Miki winning: nah nah nah na na! my favorite won & yours blew bubbles!

I'm so mature, I can't stand it!!!
    Last edited by Kwanford Wife; 04-30-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I won't be shy, I'll come out and say right now that I'm one of those people. However, I don't think that Nagasu's presence would have meant 3 spots automatically. For all I know, she could have had a repeat of 2010 worlds and performed completely uninspired and embarrassed herself as well. BUT- Like Kwan did in Torino, I really think that if Flatt KNEW she couldn't perform up to snuff, she should have WD for the benefit of Team USA. It's one thing if the injury happened during the competition, but sounds like it was bothering her as early as last week- we don't know if there were issues before then. (Also, there's the issue of whether Nagasu would have been prepared anyway, even if she was called upon)
    I hadn't heard anything about this "injury" but did just read an article at IN where Rachael said she was in her best shape of the season, that Lori had tweaked her programs, the delay had actually helped her training, and she felt physically and mentally ready to skate her best.

Comments from Tom Z were similar and both said the field was wide open. Turns out only the bronze was wide open and Alissa gave it a pretty good shot.

It is a shame if Rachael just picked up an injury but that's just part of sports.
    And as the saying goes, "there is always next season."

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I hadn't heard anything about this "injury" but did just read an article at IN where Rachael said she was in her best shape of the season, that Lori had tweaked her programs, the delay had actually helped her training, and she felt physically and mentally ready to skate her best.

Comments from Tom Z were similar and both said the field was wide open. Turns out only the bronze was wide open and Alissa gave it a pretty good shot.

It is a shame if Rachael just picked up an injury but that's just part of sports.
    And as the saying goes, "there is always next season."
    Well, she said after her SP that her leg was hurting but that could easily have cropped up just in the last days. In which case, I highly doubt Mirai would have been able to rush to Moscow and be in such great shape that she would have won the blessed 3rd spot anyway.

Custom Title
    I hope that various skating federations will take a real hard look at the scores for Russian skaters (especially Gachinski and Leonova) in this competitions and complain about judging, otherwise this will repeat at the Olympics. Leonova got way too high PCS, especially in transitions. They were higher than e.g those of Korpi and Czisny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Well, she said after her SP that her leg was hurting but that could easily have cropped up just in the last days. In which case, I highly doubt Mirai would have been able to rush to Moscow and be in such great shape that she would have won the blessed 3rd spot anyway.
    I am not obsessed with three spots and agree that if Rachael picked up a last minute injury little could be done but for her to try and skate through it. Skaters have been doing that for decades.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-30-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by wallow View Post
    I don't think Rachel will be subjected to these kinds of threads that Alissa was. Alissa was already on thin ice with people because her win at nationals that year was controversial and her 11th place finish didn't help matters at all.
    And to top it off, Olympic spots aren't on the line this year like they were the year Czisny blew it.

We don't have any reliable medal contenders anyway so who cares that much about the three spots? Three spots is nice but I don't think it would significantly improve our chances of winning a medal. Three spots wouldn't have helped Alissa not fall this time. Three spots wouldn't have guaranteed that Mirai wouldn't have freaked after being first in the SP.
    I'm glad Rachael competed at what could be her last worlds. (maybe, maybe not.) It's not like she's out there trying to save babies. It's just a spot.
    Anway, I guess I just can't help but think of figure skating as an individualistic sport more than a team sport. As a fan, I admit I pay attention to the USA skaters a lot but in the end if I prefer a foreign skater I'd much rather see that person on the podium that an American skater who I think isn't so great.
    Good points and your position is admirable. Personally, I like to see team USA do well, considering I'm from there- but some people seem to think Czisny should have won bronze and I don't agree with that.

I was at first skeptical about our chances when the team was announced...then after recent quotes from both Czisny and Flatt, and the results from the short, I had slightly elevated hopes. Then I heard about Flatt's injury last night and I started getting worried. Seems like the fears were justified. And that short wasn't even Rachel's best...ugh.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I hope that various skating federations will take a real hard look at the scores for Russian skaters (especially Gachinski and Leonova) in this competitions and complain about judging, otherwise this will repeat at the Olympics. Leonova got way too high PCS, especially in transitions. They were higher than e.g those of Korpi and Czisny!!!
    Well, they could have easily placed Leonova high enough to get bronze, and I don't think there would have been outcry- but they didn't.

I was hoping for three spots because it would show progression the the U.S. program and give another skater the chance for world experience. As much as the men couldn't really compete this year, I think that having both Minor and Dornbush (always want to say Thornbush) get to participte is great for their future careers.

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast