Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Long Program

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Don't count on it, this is Rachael Flatt we are talking about here. She had a world of very vocal haters when she was known as "Reliable Rachael." Now that "IT'S ALL HER FAULT!", can you imagine the number of trolls who are going to rear their ugly heads? And there's going to be the crying that if she knew she was this injured and unable to do her best, then she should have withdrawn so that Nagasu could have had a chance to help get those 3 spots. I shudder the thought and feel very badly for the poor girl.
    I agree. I really like Rachael and I hope people will be kind. I was impressed with how well she skated considering she had a stress fracture, right tibia. She did not have the lowest placement of an American Lady ever.

Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    That's unfortunate. Yu-Na lost by a missing double toe loop. I thought her step sequence was chilling and haunting, and I think she should keep this program for next year. It was just under-seasoned. I'm surprised she didn't include a 2A+3T in her program.
    better that than overly salty, right? (yes I know lame attempt at humor here...)

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Czisny would be what- 26? in Sochi. I seriously doubt it. But then again, I didn't think she'd be relevant now so who knows?

I think we need someone like Czisny especially now that NO ONE ELSE seems to be willing to step up and lead US ladies. But if she goes, I don't necessarily think she'll be missed, per se (except maybe sentimentally by some fans)

Yes, Zawadski has potential but like always, I caution against premature crowning of anybody. Too much pressure when they've yet to prove themselves. And from what I saw this season, she is not exactly consistent (at least at this stage).

While I'm not fully convinced the newcomers will dominate, I do think they will take over the contender positions previously occupied by Zhang, Wagner and Flatt. Like I've said before, a 90%-100% Nagasu is the only current skater that I believe genuinely has a shot at Sochi.
    I mean, if things are exactly the way they are now in 2013-14 then Alissa obviously has a shot at the Olympic team. But it's extremely hard to imagine they will be.
    For one thing, would she be able to keep up her tech at 26? And it's hard to imagine her tech won't be surpassed. I hope it will be anyway - otherwise we definitely won't have a strong medal contender for Sochi, as it's nearly unthinkable that one of these upcoming junior Russians won't emerge to be medal favorites. And they are the type that will have both 3-3 AND great lines, etc.

But it doesn't matter. It's already great that Alissa that she stuck around for her most successful year yet and can be proud of her career. She won't be a superstar but she'll be a fan favorite for a long time.

Rachael may be young but don't see her vastly improving while attending Standford at the same time.

All be told it's anyone's guess who will be on the US ladies Olympic team. This would be be fine if there was any clear emerging star power out there but to me there just isn't at this point, unless Mirai gets her act together.

You say it's good news that it's a new era for the American ladies. Except that a whole "new era" has come and gone with none of the newbies - Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline, - living up to what they did as juniors. So are we in for a similar cycle over the next three years?

Welcome, skatingfan1, and thanks for your thoughtful first post.

Custom Title
    congratulations to Miki ando for winning your 2nd world title, good job.
    congratulations to Yu-na for coming in 2nd in your only competition--good job.
    congratulations to Carolina Kostner for winning the bronze medal. good job
    Congratulations to Alena for coming in 4th--good job.
    Congratulations to ALissa for coming in 5th--good job. way to go.

Congratulations to all athletes for doing your best,
    good job Rachel for doing your best with your injury.

Custom Title
    I like Yuna's LP! The jumps were not there, but she was engaged to the performance. And I agree with Tracy(?) her performance is more mature. I thinks this is beyond superfacial acting now.
    Karolina is the high light and I'm so happy for her comeback.
    I love the young Japane girl, and Mao was robbed of PCS.

Miki made progress in performance this year but this was not the best for her this year. I still believe she is not musical and just does what she's told to. It showed this time obviously. But she deserve to win I guess, when others faltered. Congratulations!

All in all, a so so compitition, lest interesting one in this Worlds.
    Last edited by Ilvskating; 04-30-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    I like Yuna's LP! The jumps were not there, but she was engaged to the performance. And I agree with Tracy(?) her performance is more mature. I thinks this is beyond superfacial acting now.
    Karolina is another high light and I'm so happy for her comeback.
    I love the young Japane girl, and Mao was robbed of PCS.

Miki made progress in performance this year but this was not the best for her this year. I still believe she is not musical and just does what she's told to. It showed this time obviously. But she deserve to win I guess, when others faltered. Congratulations!

All in all, a so so compitition, lest interesting one in this Worlds.
    Agreed. I think she's in a transitional phase artistry wise... she's trying to move past just facial expressions/acting and to skate from the soul. Thus why I think w/more competitive mileage and refinements, it could be breathtaking. So please Yu-na, compete on the GP next season?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    I am glad Koster won, more Leonova. To me, she has the best LP of the ladies, so light, fast and skating to her full potential. Granted she pop a jump and some of her jump are shaky, but all the PCS requirement are there. I would have give her the highest PCS of the night thou, if i am the judges. Great ending to her season, after all the injury and up n down skating.
    Watching the performance again, I agree. What really struck me this time that I didn't recall from before (may have been one of the moments I ducked out to quell my barking dog) was how wonderful her footwork sequence was. Her ice coverage has improved on this element and it no longer seems jagged but rather has complete lobes akin to a serpentine. The timing of her steps was not rushed at all either, she held positions out before executing turns while maintaining her speed and didn't overdo it with the body dips either. It was perhaps the best footwork sequence of the entire World Championship, including the Men's event.

I also noticed that her first Triple Salchow was completely divine. The height and ice coverage on that thing was amazing. That jump, along with her Triple Flip, both definitely deserved +2 GOE. Her overall arm movements in this performance were simply lovely as well. It's definitely her best performance of the program; she really paid attention to the details here and felt the music.

So now I'm actually thinking Miki Ando shouldn't have been on the podium at all.
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 04-30-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    So I'm now actually thinking Miki Ando shouldn't have been on the podium at all.
    When do you not think Miki shouldn't have been on the podium?
    Last edited by MikiAndoFan#1; 04-30-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

So now I'm actually thinking Miki Ando shouldn't have been on the podium at all.
    If your intention is to be next Donald Trump or Johnny Weir, you are doing a fine job in getting attention for now. Just remember, this won't last very long. We all know when Pasha Grishuck called Oksana Baiul a criminal hoping to land herself in the Hollywood in the process, she ended up somewhere but it ain't Hollywood.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    You say it's good news that it's a new era for the American ladies. Except that a whole "new era" has come and gone with none of the newbies - Rachael, Mirai, Ashley, Caroline, - living up to what they did as juniors. So are we in for a similar cycle over the next three years?
    I mean that a new era is COMING UP for US ladies. The current era- the status quo - which includes Czisny, Flatt, Wagner, Nagasu and Zhang - just isn't getting the job done. We've been stuck with 2 ladies spots ever since they took over. (of course, it was the previous generation, Meissner, Hughes, etc. that lost the 3rd spot in the first place)
    Last edited by R.D.; 04-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.

I think what Layfan was getting at is that we have no reason to think that the next wave of the future will turn out any better than the current wave of the future, or than the previous wave of the future.

whatever happened to Leonova's hair? Is that the most popular hair style in Russia at the moment or she is going for the Julia Sebestyen look?

Quote Originally Posted by Skatingfan1 View Post
    I agree. I really like Rachael and I hope people will be kind. I was impressed with how well she skated considering she had a stress fracture, right tibia. She did not have the lowest placement of an American Lady ever.
    I think Rachael should have withdrawn, if she knew she couldn't skate her best why would she skate?? Why would she risk it.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    We've been stuck with 2 ladies spots ever since they took over. (of course, it was the previous generation, Meissner, Hughes, etc. that lost the 3rd spot in the first place)
    Well, in all fairness, Meissner was the last singles' female skater to medal for the U.S. (and a gold, no less!)

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast