Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Long Program

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Well, in all fairness, Meissner was the last singles' female skater to medal for the U.S. (and a gold, no less!)
    Well, yes. (don't forget Cohen was on the podium with her, in 3rd)

Not sure why everyone feels so sorry for Flatt. People were merciless on Czisny in 2009, but all of a sudden Flatt gets a pass?? Come on. I have a funny feeling she knew she was barely hanging on.

Tripping on the Podium
    Brian Orser is now my favorite Canadian, after Ike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru View Post
    In general it looks like a good work in progress, while most people I've read in blogs loved the footwork sequence music cut I hated the wailing voice, it took my attention away from what she was doing on the ice. I would definitely change that to another music cut.
    After reading your post, I went back and "listened" again and I have to agree. Not sure what that part of the music is about but it is, uhm, rather disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    I finished uploading the British Eurosport LPs,
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=1777E85DD1CFA17F

Apparently there's a copyright claim blocking them from being viewed in JPN / Korea, as someone on YouTube PM'd me lol.
    Thanks Bibi. For a brief second, when I heard the British accent, I thought I had tuned into a Premiere League broadcast.

Incidentally, some comments in this thread look like they belong in a soccer hooligan forum rather than a sport that is about beauty and artistry. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Cerulean; 04-30-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Not sure why everyone feels so sorry for Flatt. People were merciless on Czisny in 2009, but all of a sudden Flatt gets a pass?? Come on. I have a funny feeling she knew she was barely hanging on.
    "People" were merciless on Czisny?

Rachael gave it her best shot. Stuff happens.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    "People" were merciless on Czisny?
    Of course...where were you when the backlash erupted? Or maybe much more of that happened on a different forum.

Well, yes. (don't forget Cohen was on the podium with her, in 3rd)

Probably because of Flatt's injury. I don't think Alissa was nursing any injury when she bombed in 2009.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Probably because of Flatt's injury. I don't think Alissa was nursing any injury when she bombed in 2009.
    Then the question becomes (and I posed the question in another thread) should she have even skated at worlds then?

Then the question becomes (and I posed the question in another thread) should she have even skated at worlds then?
    That's not a question any of us can answer because we don't know enough about the circumstances and degree of injury.

Now please see the thread about "HEART."

Rachael skated with a painful injury and surely tried to do her best. She is one tough cookie
    That is enough to gain my admiration.
    Last edited by janetfan; 04-30-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Custom Title
    Evita is a lovely piece of music.. Did anyone notice that Makarova was way too fast and almost hectical in her movements??? I didn't like that at all.

I fell in love with Kostner's Flip. Wasn't that a beauty??? When her jumps are there. it's like : Yuna who??

Czisney's program just draws you in. Very beautiful.

Ando did two clean performances but her FP just didn't grab my attention. I don't know why. From the potential of the programs I wished the podium was Kostner, Kim and Czisny ( random order).

On TV screen Mao looks awfully slim and powerless somehow.

Custom Title
    Athletes always think they might be able to skate through the pain. I also suspect that since no one else can be brought in to substitute for a skater at that late moment, he or she feels obligated to give it a try. That's probably what Rachael did. It's the last skate of the season (maybe her last world championships ever), and I can't fault her for doing something like that. It's not as if her skating penalized the U.S., after all. It just means that we don't get a third spot, and we wouldn't have gotten one if Rachel had withdrawn, either.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think what Layfan was getting at is that we have no reason to think that the next wave of the future will turn out any better than the current wave of the future, or than the previous wave of the future.

Thanks, that is what I was saying.

It's strange to think about it but ALISSA CZISNY has been the most successful U.S. lady since the demise of Kimmie Meissner. Rachael has been the steadiest (until now) and Mirai has shown the most promising flashes of potential greatness (4th Olympics, 1st worlds SP) but only Alissa has won international competitions and been a two-time U.S. champion (granted the first was controversial). I wish she could have brought home a world medal but it was not to be.
    But next year will be our year. Mirai will be world champion and Alissa will be on the podium. Or Christina or Agnes will blossom into sudden stars and be on the podium and I'll eat my words about the next crop being as disappointing as the last

Incidently, I just rewatched Carolina's LP and she was divine. I can't describe is as well as BoP a few posts ago but she lived up completely to her reputation as an elegant skater. Whatever slight long-legged awkwardness she has totally works for Afternoon of a Fawn but actually, there was very little of the awkwardness that I once associated with her. She was easily the most elegant skater of the night. Well, maybe tied with Alissa. They have different strengths. Carolina is just so fast and her jumps are big. Alissa is much quieter but those spins... But Carolina's ice presence was grand.
    I'm so happy Carolina was on the podium with that lovely program. Talk about resurrecting your career. And her delight at the end of the skate was wonderful to see. I I think she might have been might favorite tonight.

From the potential of the programs I wished the podium was Kostner, Kim and Czisny ( random order).
    Those were my three favorite programs too. But look at this way: even if it didn't turn out perfectly, we still got treated to those wonderful programs as fans. (Besides, you got two out of three and we can be thrilled that Japan got a world champion with everything they are going through. Kudos to Miki)
    Last edited by Layfan; 04-30-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Custom Title
    I can't wait to see Carolina and Alissa! I'm sure I'll agree with Blades and Layfan about both of them.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ^ re why Rachael skated: well, we were talking about heart in that other thread. Sometimes heart is fighting through an injury - cf. Curt "Bloody Sock" Schilling, Daisuke "Knee Bolt" Takahashi, etc. It's heart if you win or have a personal victory, but when you make a fool of yourself or make others pay, it doesn't look as admirable. But you can't know till you try. I'm going to assume that Rachael is an honorable person and sincerely believed she could skate well. But it sounds like a mistake of judgment not to have informed the USFSA.

Medalist
    Let's take a look at the scores. Judge #3: She/He consistently marked Carolina and Alissa lower than the other judges and the Russian lady higher.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Let's take a look at the scores. Judge #3: She/He consistently marked Carolina and Alissa lower than the other judges and the Russian lady higher.
    And she was right?

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Judge number three for Czisny was not the same as judge number three for Kostner, Leonova or Makarova. Judge number three for Alissa might be judge number seven for Ksenia.

The ISU does it this way on purpose so that we can't make these comparisons.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast