Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast

Thread: Ladies - Long Program

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I had tears in my eyes watching Carolina's LP. It's beautiful program to begin with, but she skated with such joy and soul this time that made it so breathtaking to watch. Rochette's Olympic SP aside, I don't think a single ladies performance has moved me as much as this one did in the past decade. There was so much beauty, musicality and freedom in that performance. And on top of all that, her flow was just stunning. Everything just clicked. I'm sure I'll be watching this performance over and over and over in years to come.
    Last edited by shine; 05-03-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Custom Title
    Yeah Caro was great, so to was Alissa, they both moved me!! I have to say so did Viktoria Helgesson her free is great too!

Ira Vannut, Juulia Turkkila, Mae Berenice Meite and Kanako Murakami impressed me to at their first worlds, hope they continue to improve.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I had tears in my eyes watching Carolina's LP. It's beautiful program to begin with, but she skated with such joy and soul this time that made it so breathtaking to watch. Rochette's Olympic SP aside, I don't think a single ladies performance has moved me as much as this one did in the past decade. There was so much beauty, musicality and freedom in that performance. And on top of all that, her flow was just stunning. Everything just clicked. I'm sure I'll be watching this performance over and over and over in years to come.
    If she was consistent with her jumps, she'd be the queen. I mean look at her first flip and salchow... Yuna should take notes

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I m catching up ladies and I want to say Yunas both dresses are GORGEOUS

Carolina skates the best in the ballet-like style of figure skating. Mao could work on that. Kim is not a ballet-like skater. Miki can but not always and imo, Carolina's Debussy was better than Miki's Chopin. Not talking about Results - just styles. Alissa was too tentative.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Carolina skates the best in the ballet-like style of figure skating. Mao could work on that. Kim is not a ballet-like skater. Miki can but not always and imo, Carolina's Debussy was better than Miki's Chopin. Not talking about Results - just styles. Alissa was too tentative.
    Okay maybe we've really see things in different ways but I never thought Kostner was balletic. She does have great speed but I always found her movements to be a bit awkward. But I do agree her LP is better than Miki's.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    you think Carolina has more balletic lines than Mao? When Mao is on mood I think she is spectacular, her extention, arms, head ,everything.. but thats when she decides to skate with commitment. Carolina I liked her gala a lot

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    you think Carolina has more balletic lines than Mao? When Mao is on mood I think she is spectacular, her extention, arms, head ,everything.. but thats when she decides to skate with commitment. Carolina I liked her gala a lot
    I agree. Mao is the most balletic of the current skaters to me. It isn't just flexibility but a kind of fluidity. By contrast, I generally find Carolina a bit coltish, partly due to her speed. Either way, she's very very appealing. I can't wait to see everyone skate! I'm especially looking forward to Carolina's long program, from the comments of so many of you.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree. Mao is the most balletic of the current skaters to me. It isn't just flexibility but a kind of fluidity. By contrast, I generally find Carolina a bit coltish, partly due to her speed. Either way, she's very very appealing. I can't wait to see everyone skate! I'm especially looking forward to Carolina's long program, from the comments of so many of you.
    First post.

Exactly, as a ballet teacher I'd have to say this is correct. Balletic has more to do with fluidity of movement and lines than being stereotypical long-limbed like say, Yuna or Caro. I must say however as someone who's followed (maybe not kept up as much as I'd like) skating since early 90s, I'd rate Mao just under Lucinda Ruh and the more recent Shizuka Arakawa (she seems to get better as pro), they're all balletic skaters with line, extension, turnout, and fluidity. Some people mistakenly think Sasha is balletic, but this is wrong IMHO. Sasha hits some extreme, rhythmic gymnast-like poses, but compare her style to Lucinda's and there we see the difference.

Custom Title
    Welcome nikiya! We need more ballet teachers on board.

Post long. Post often.

* for Mathman.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Welcome nikiya! We need more ballet teachers on board.

Post long. Post often.

* for Mathman.
    Thank you, and I'm glad to be closely following skating again!

* What SkateFiguring said. *

Welcome, nikya.

Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    We have similar tastes in skating artistry. Carolina, although not a favorite on this Board, is definitely worthy of one of the best lyrical skaters of today. That Debussy got me too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nikiya View Post
    First post.

Exactly, as a ballet teacher I'd have to say this is correct. Balletic has more to do with fluidity of movement and lines than being stereotypical long-limbed like say, Yuna or Caro. I must say however as someone who's followed (maybe not kept up as much as I'd like) skating since early 90s, I'd rate Mao just under Lucinda Ruh and the more recent Shizuka Arakawa (she seems to get better as pro), they're all balletic skaters with line, extension, turnout, and fluidity. Some people mistakenly think Sasha is balletic, but this is wrong IMHO. Sasha hits some extreme, rhythmic gymnast-like poses, but compare her style to Lucinda's and there we see the difference.
    Thank you for your insight!
    I'm no expert so your insight is very much appreciated, and will look forward to your future posts.

Of course figure skating is not ballet, and therefore I don't always agree with the kind of criticism that is along the line with "so and so skated to (insert a ballet piece) but that wasn't balletic at all." Well to a certain degree by skating to such music, especially a well-known piece, you're asking for it too but still. By the same token I feel a bit funny when people, especially commentators, make too easy a comparison between skating and ballet (Joesitz, this is not directed at you. I loved Carolina's Debussy as I said in the Highlights and Lowlights thread, and I think her 'awkwardness' has disappeared in my eyes e.g. telegraphing arm position). e.g. When Mao skated to Chopin Ballade #1 in a show where Tetsuya Kumakawa was a guest panelist, the TV host said "Don't you think she's so balletic? Wow!" and the former Royal Ballet Principal responded with a lot of praise without making any reference to ballet.

Rinkside
    Thanks for the welcome.

I like to watch different styles of skating, I can't help but sometimes preferring skaters with dancer's posture, position, and lines. Mainly I follow ladies and ice dance, most recently the men but I haven't been following pairs at all. I'm trying to finish watching all the WC videos just posted on YT. I'm still trying to digest my thoughts on I/ K's FD to Don Quixote, I can't criticize them for working hard and trying but, it's a bit of a miss for me.

Back to ladies, I think Caro has a lyrical style which is not to be confused with balletic style, personally I loved her LP. One of my favorite skaters Michelle Kwan, was not balletic at all but lyrical. Anyways, Mao's LP managed to be more balletic than Yuna's Giselle SP. This isn't meant to disparage Yuna though, just that I think her style is more in line with Carolina's than balletic sensibility. I don't think Yuna is particularly suited for ballet music, especially the gloomier portions of Giselle.

I think the argument can be made for Mao having more balletic style of all the ladies competing right now (and I'm not saying I'm her biggest fan or anything), solely based upon her unforced turnout and extension, upper body and back positions (very important in ballet). I think Mao's more natural turnout allows her to display her lower body lines to their utmost aesthetically speaking than skaters not gifted with turnout. Alissa is also capable of achieving this, from what I've seen. Sasha was very flexible like a gymnast when she was competing, but she tends to force her turnout, thus makiing her lines look slightly harsh and contorted but not balletic. She did hit some remarkable positions though, I gotta give her that.

Now I have to go back to watching ice dance videos again, my favorite discipline besides ladies.
    Last edited by nikiya; 05-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast