Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Results 451 to 465 of 465

Thread: Ice Dance - FD

  1. #451
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    actually I think Doris was defending their tongue in cheek comments even if she didn't find them all that funny.
    Yes, every person see, what they want to see Its OK.
    And yes - if you didnt want to see Doris comments about Latina, you will not see how sarcastic she was.
    But i thought now she is happy and will stop all this unpleasent comments.
    Its OK. If you prefer to read all this "comments" -its OK.
    I will stop and waite D-W Latina in next season.

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    You seem to have Doris and let's talk confused. Doris NEVER slams a team, even if they aren't her favoriite. Let's talk slams anyone he/she thinks they can get away with slamming.
    For example?

    What a pink dress's approval can do to people....

  3. #453
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I don't think that Tessa's image and dress were the right choice for her. She has a very beautiful natural pale look that matches her eyes perfectly well. That suntan and overdressy gold dress for a casual Latin dance music made her look heavier, and even fatter.
    Bolded is mine, but it was written and was attributed to DorisP who did NOT write that comment.

  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    427
    Next year?
    Really bring it guys! I expect their Rumba to be amazing. Heck it was amazing a couple years ago. However, I'd like to see Tessa join Charlie in the facial acting class. She has 3 expressions, and has been using them for years. 1. I adore my brand new puppy. He's perfect (while staring at Scott) 2. I'm so brave and trying to be sexy. I have my first training bra! (start of Charleston OD and Samba FD) 3. I'm so annoyed/hissy fit (Their I dare you to move exhibition). Again, she's never had to do more, and I know she can do it

    Thats what Tessa post about Tessa and all other thing you coule read:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...orlds...-Dance
    Last edited by npa; 05-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.

  5. #455
    Custom Title CassAgain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    Next year?
    Really bring it guys! I expect their Rumba to be amazing. Heck it was amazing a couple years ago. However, I'd like to see Tessa join Charlie in the facial acting class. She has 3 expressions, and has been using them for years. 1. I adore my brand new puppy. He's perfect (while staring at Scott) 2. I'm so brave and trying to be sexy. I have my first training bra! (start of Charleston OD and Samba FD) 3. I'm so annoyed/hissy fit (Their I dare you to move exhibition). Again, she's never had to do more, and I know she can do it

    Thats what Tessa post about Tessa and all other thing you coule read:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...orlds...-Dance
    I somehow missed this in that thread. That's hilarious and quite apt.

  6. #456
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by npa View Post
    Next year?
    Really bring it guys! I expect their Rumba to be amazing. Heck it was amazing a couple years ago. However, I'd like to see Tessa join Charlie in the facial acting class. She has 3 expressions, and has been using them for years. 1. I adore my brand new puppy. He's perfect (while staring at Scott) 2. I'm so brave and trying to be sexy. I have my first training bra! (start of Charleston OD and Samba FD) 3. I'm so annoyed/hissy fit (Their I dare you to move exhibition). Again, she's never had to do more, and I know she can do it

    Thats what Tessa post about Tessa and all other thing you coule read:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...orlds...-Dance
    Ok, that's it. I've been a member of this forum for years, but unfortunately have not been able to post here consistently for some time because of personal matters. I have been reading many of the posts here and frankly some of the tone has gotten a little silly.

    So I have to assume that either this NPA person is completely devoid of the capacity to distiguish between basic constructive criticism delivered without malice and an attack post, or does not understand some of the nuances of English or he/she is simply trying to stir up the pot to create controversy. Doris wrote this post nearly three months ago after 4CC at which the begining portion of Voir's free dance was revealed. It was delivered in the context of what she would like to see both at worlds this year (when their participation was still greatly in doubt) and also what the top teams could/should be working on for next season. There was not one ounce of venom in what she wrote. In fact much of her comments were written out of concern for Tessa's injury and avoiding further harm. Similar critiques have been made over the years by fans, judges and coaches about many ice dancers being too one note in their expresssions (Belbin, Krylova, Charlie White, etc.). Doris was not unique in this. There is nothing wrong with offering useful notes meant only to help improve the quality of skating or performance we all enjoy watching. Doing so with a hint of humor, as Doris did, makes that process that much more enjoyable. I have never read anything from her that is not meant to further discussion and frequently educate the rest of us on matters about which we might be less informed. For all that she has contributed to this site, she deserves more respect that the above comment displays.

    As for the tone on this thread and others, no skater or professioal level athlete, regardless of their accomplishments, is infallible. They all have weaknesses which they can stand to improve. I think, in part because of the emotional component of skating, we fans have a tendency to too quickly anoint the current champion in any discipline as being invincible and the greatest we have seen. This is never fair to them or their competition. This is a sport and if any one skater or team were thoroughly unbeatable, then there would be no point to the holding the competitions. Some champions win primarily due to their innate talent and natural affinity for their sport. They make everything look easy. Other champions win primarily due to their tremendous work ethic and drive. That is not to say that the former are not hard workers or that the latter are not talented, but each has their respective strengths. Either approach can win and over the course of most sports, it's fair to say that the both categories win about 50% of the time. Sport need both of these elements in order to be successful. It's also what makes rivalries so compelling. I think we all know which categories Voir and Marlie fall into and that's why they largely appeal to different groups.

    Now it's patently ridiculous to continue this silliness where some fans attack others over perceived slights against skaters we only see on TV or the internet. Very few of us know or will ever have the chance to even meet (autograph signings do not count) any of our favorite skaters. So all of our opinions and feelings about them are derived from mere glimpses into portions of their lives and our own projections. These skaters are not our friends. They are athletes and performers whom we root for and enjoy watching, nothing more. When they retire and move on their presence will be missed and their contributions appreciated, but others will come along to take their place and give us new things to cheer about and, yes, debate. Viewing this silliness in that context makes this all seen rather trivial.

  7. #457
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,788
    That was good...

  8. #458
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Good post, jcoates

    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Ok, that's it. I've been a member of this forum for years, but unfortunately have not been able to post here consistently for some time because of personal matters. I have been reading many of the posts here and frankly some of the tone has gotten a little silly.
    I'm sorry to hear that (hopefully it's more life is busy than anything bad), but I'm glad you're still around.

  9. #459
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    427
    OK, so you think Doris post was right with this post.
    The problem is not WHAT she said, but HOW she did this. This was disrespect to Tessa, how Doris made this comment.
    Like this post about Tessa is fat.
    Notice - to post something, like that is disrespect to any of skater (IMHO).
    But maybe some people couldnt be happy for there favorite skaters and need to degrade there rivals.

  10. #460
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,566
    npa, I have never said, hinted or subscribed to the opinion that Tessa is anything but physically fit and gorgeous. I have never said she was fat.

  11. #461
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    120
    The problem is that some fans think that if they offend other skaters it's ok.But if they think that someone has offended Tessa,it's all wrong.As if the other skaters aren't real people with real feelings.
    I think some of us really need to grow up and don't take things too personally.
    Doris hasn't said that Tessa is fat,unless I have forgotten everything about the english language and can't understand what I'm reading.
    On the other hand,insulting Meryl,Nathalie, Federica,Elena,Ekaterina and any other skater for example, has to be acceptable?And if a person complains about what is said about them he's instantly a fan of them and a sworn enemy of the other?
    Tongue in cheek comments are humor, and humor is made with a positive attitude,unless the attitude is negative and that's called sarcasm which is also a kind of humor, but that's another talk and for another moment.
    It can also occur that some fans love skating and aren't obsessed with skaters.Or that some fans love programs and are obsessed with programs, but if a certain program isn't to their liking they may not be so " fanatic" about the skater next season.That's life, that's sport...
    About V/M...It's not their haters that spread rumors about them,insinuate they have health problems,that they're leaving sports,that they 're ungrateful to their fans because they had surgery Unfortunately it's their own fanbase that does this, and it's really sad.

  12. #462
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    427
    On the other hand,insulting Meryl,Nathalie, Federica,Elena,Ekaterina and any other skater for example, has to be acceptable?
    I post this before - its not OK to post something like this about any skater. To post something "Skater A didnt have good faciall expression" - its OK. I'm so brave and trying to be sexy. I have my first training bra - no.
    About V/M...It's not their haters that spread rumors about them,insinuate they have health problems,that they're leaving sports,that they 're ungrateful to their fans because they had surgery Unfortunately it's their own fanbase that does this, and it's really sad.
    i think its was Virtue who talk about her health problems. And how any rumors could be compare with unrespected posts about some skaters?

  13. #463
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    427
    del

  14. #464
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,095
    NPA, please take several deep breaths and reexamine what Doris wrote and reconsider that you may be mistaken in your point of view. I'm going to try to explain this to you as clearly as possible, because I am going to generously assume that you have completely misunderstood this entire situation.

    If I recall, you originally accused Doris of saying that Tessa had a face like a puppy. I'm guessing that you believe this is your evidence that she was calling Tessa fat. On this point you are 100% incorrect. Let me plainly spell this out for your without the level of nuance Doris employed in her original post. Tessa tends to use similar facial expressions repeatedly regardless of the program she is skating. There are three which she tends to use. First, one expression indicates surprise or joy like someone would display when receiving a gift like a new puppy from your significant other. (Please note there is nothing in this that refers to Tessa's face looking anything like a puppy. I believe this is where you misconstrued Doris' comment into thinking Tessa was being called fat.) Second, another expression is meant to convey innocent sexiness like one sees displayed by a young woman who is just coming to terms with her newfound and still developing body. In other words, the kind of sexiness displayed by Mirai Nagasu or some other young skater, not the full-fledged sexiness of Katarina Witt. (It makes sense for this to be improved because Tessa is not a teen anymore, but a 20something.) Third, the last expression is meant to communicate determination or anger. These are descriptions of archetypal situations which are very familiar to people in art as well as life. They are used to make an illustrative point to make it easier for the reader to grasp a concept. Clearly you have missed that point entirely.

    Doris was quite clear about this being something that Tessa had never had to improve further because up to this point her other talents and successes had not forced her to have to make such a change. Think of it like people wishing Kwan or Yuna-Kim would improve their leg position in their layback. They still won virtually all the time without doing so, but many fans would love to see skaters of their caliber achieve the highest possible standard in everything they do. It's a cosmetic but not a truly substantive change. That is all Doris was saying. Belbin got through almost her whole career with pretty much one expression (her 'O' face) and Krylova had about two expressions. The same points were made to them by fans, judges etc. These points are not insults. They are constructive criticism. If you don't understand what that is, please go look it up.

    Sadly, you have a history of attacking anyone on this site who makes even the mildest of criticisms against your favorite skaters. Somehow you assume that a criticism of someone you like implies that the critic must necessarily be an ardent fan of their chief rival. This is absurd. The very post you cited as as evidence in your current attack contains critiques of all the top teams. You can't have it both ways. This is not mature behavior and frankly it takes the fun out of the forum on a far too frequent basis for the rest of us. So please drop this silliness and move on to some topic of greater substance. It will do all of us a great deal of good.
    Last edited by jcoates; 05-13-2011 at 05:25 PM.

  15. #465
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,788
    Honestly , npa... you really need to give up on this. It's no use. Everyone on these boards knows that Doris is one of the most fair-minded posters here . She has said ,on occasion, that she personally prefers D/W , but never fails to give credit to V/M for their excellence .

    I have seen people say some vicious things about Tessa ...most egregiously on other forums..but not Doris. And I've seen people say vicious things about Meryl and many other skaters, too.

    I'm a big fan of V/M , but I didn't take Doris' comment at the time to be an attack on Tessa , just a humorous way of saying she'd like to see her use a wider range of expression . I didn't agree, and replied with an example of what Tessa's expression ( in the SD ) said to me...Finis... No hurt feelings , no disrespect for the skaters or each other.

    If we didn't have some differences of opinion we'd have nothing to talk about. The challenge is to have a discussion ( and occasionally a bit of fun ) without provoking a flame war. There's nothing like a flame war to drive reasonable people away . So let's not try to find one where it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 05-13-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •