Ice Dance - FD | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD

Layfan

Record Breaker
Here you err. He did single them out and there's a picture of them in his column. Don't think he expected them to medal, though!

oh my apologies. but maybe we're thinking of two different articles? Anyway, okay, okay props to Phil for mentioning him.

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm still a bit underwhelmed with Shibs. They are truly amazing technically but performance wise still very forgettable.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I didn't watch this yet, but I had to spoil myself at looking at the results. I'm pretty shocked that Davis and White won, but more shocked that the Shibutanis medalled. It's also surprising to see Weaver and Poje so high.

kensal

Rinkside
I'm totally thrilled for Meryl and Charlie.
Off course I'm sad for Nathalie and Fabian cause their FD is lovely and they really had a chance of a medal.
Despite the overall result, don't count Ekaterina & Dmitri and Elena & Nikita out. Next year I'm pretty sure they'll be stronger and more experienced.

I expect P/B to retire now, unless they want to try again in their home country next year. But I highly doubt that until V/M, D/W, S/S go away, any European team can beat them. Unreachable and judges showed it with redicilously high scores and gaps. B/S and I/K and the whole Russian ice dancing is in the past, they look outdated.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I'm surprised.
Both team was GREAT, I couldn't see that much difference in favour of D=W.

Shibs has a grat present and an even brighter future. Bronze at their very first World.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
"due"?!, please, V/M might've won the oscar for best adapted (screenplay) ballroom dancing, but D/W were exquisite, elegant, refined, and performed a COMPLETE program. Yes, their development and growth through the season is an advantage but it isn't the reason why they "gave" them the title.

V/M moved in ways D/W never will be able to. Their choreography was more creative and with the music, to my eye. D/W may have a technically more difficult program but in terms of actual dance and artistry I'd definitely have it well below.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I'm still a bit underwhelmed with Shibs. They are truly amazing technically but performance wise still very forgettable.

They looked kind of nervous out there today (who could blame them?) which affected their performance somewhat, but they delivered when it mattered most.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Congrats to the Shibs! Everything they did was pure, precise, and unrushed. Very tai chi. Has any ice dance couple won a medal at a Worlds debut before?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
BOP seems to have eaten some awfully sour grapes in this Worlds.

They are his staple diet. Can't go a day without it!

I'm inspired to find a sour grapes company to invest in. :cool:

eta. I do agree with his last post. But this is a sport and judged as a sport. Technical prowess matters most on this day.

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I expect P/B to retire now, unless they want to try again in their home country next year. But I highly doubt that until V/M, D/W, S/S go away, any European team can beat them. Unreachable and judges showed it with redicilously high scores and gaps. B/S and I/K and the whole Russian ice dancing is in the past, they look outdated.

I disagree in what concerns the russian ice dancing.
Also we need to consider several factors such as injury and so on. Yesterday who would have thought that P&B would leave without a medal. The point is: never take anything for granted.
Also, B&S and I&K are still young and show a very good margin for progress. S&S were not that ahead of B&S, P&B and W&P.
I don't mind having so many greats teams. It helps to bring excitement to the competition and I love that.

emma

Record Breaker
Congrats to the medalists!!! That was amazing to watch. I can't join the who deserved what scores debate, but D/W rocked this (in my eyes - I couldn't get over the tension and speed and precision) and I thought V/M had an amazing skate too (really really love the opening of their samba and the circular twizzles). Very exciting!!!

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States

The scores were super close between places 3-6, so I believe the Shibs could absolutely be beaten, and possibly by a Russian team (B/S were 3 point something off). I would guess the Russians will do whatever they have to with their skating/programs to make sure they have the best shot at a medal in 2014.

Unless you are saying that there is no way the judges will allow for anyone to score near the top three teams again.

kensal

Rinkside
The only hope for any competition from Europe is ironically another Zueva team that happens to skate under Russina flag and we did not see today, K/A. Just move ice dancing competitions to Canton and let them decide among themselves.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

V/M and D/W are deservedly unreachable over the rest of the field at this point in time. You yourself just hit upon why the Russians did not do well - their skating is a poor rehash of former eras. P/B would have easily won the Bronze had they not gone SPLAT. I fully expect them to be able to claim a Bronze next year if they keep their level of skating in tact and don't screw up like that.

If Europe wants to challenge V/M and D/W then they need to produce a team that had the creativity and ability of Delobel/Shoenfelder.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
.... Great achievement for S/Z

I agree. This is a stunning achievement for the Canton coaching and choreographing team. They seem to know how to tailor each routine according to the strengths and limitations of their skaters, thereby showing off each team at its best.

Another Worlds competition is done, except for the gala. Thanks again to Russia for making this possible and first-class in only three weeks. You must have a lamp with a genie in it. :biggrin:

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
I agree with you, I was sure V/M would win, and so were the Italian commentators here. But I have to admit D/W skated very well, I loved them tonight, so I can't really complain..... but in my opinion V/M are such amazing artists.....I was mesmerised by their performance:)!

V/M moved in ways D/W never will be able to. Their choreography was more creative and with the music, to my eye. D/W may have a technically more difficult program but in terms of actual dance and artistry I'd definitely have it well below.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think all the medalists are very happy. D/W finally has the World title. Tessa is skating pain free and V/M gets the Worlds Silver on their season debut. The Shibs, wow, a medal on their Seniors and Worlds debut! At such a young age! In Moscow! Is there a conspiracy?

kensal

Rinkside
The scores were super close between places 3-6, so I believe the Shibs could absolutely be beaten, and possibly by a Russian team (B/S were 3 point something off). I would guess the Russians will do whatever they have to with their skating/programs to make sure they have the best shot at a medal in 2014.

Unless you are saying that there is no way the judges will allow for anyone to score near the top three teams again.

I am saying that in ice dancing tends to be trends. Today's trend is whatever the hell Zueva/Shpilband slap together. The whole dance play book is just written by them. Not that I complain, they are doing excellent job. But it just does not excite me when the only hope for anyone to get BRONZE, not even talking about Gold and Silver, is that hopefully one of the Canton teams are injured.:)
I also want diversity in styles and skills to get rewarded. That I am afraid we will not be seeing anytime soon.

Last edited: