Ice Dance - FD | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD

gmyers

Record Breaker
I agree. This is a stunning achievement for the Canton coaching and choreographing team. They seem to know how to tailor each routine according to the strengths and limitations of their skaters, thereby showing off each team at its best.

Ain:

Yeah. THAT is what they know how to do. Give me a break. There is something rotten going on.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I think both Russian male skaters were a little bit off today. B/S could have made the podium but he did have a few stumbles out there, I really like their style. For I/K she had a great day but I though in one of the lifts he was going to drop her. The Zhulin camp had a dissapointing day.

At the start of this championship I would never have thought that Russia worst results woudl be in Ice dance. I really thought they had no hope in the singles events but there 3 skaters really delivered. I just loved Makarovas short, if her free was disappointing.

wallylutz

Medalist
D & W should win. Way more difficult choreo and very very fast.

Yes, I have to agree on this. I prefer V/M emotionally, but from a judging standpoint, it was clear that this was their first FD of the year and they don't have enough mileage on this dance to give it justice.

The judging was fair and square in this competition even though I was hoping for a slightly different result.

kensal

Rinkside
I think both Russian male skaters were a little bit off today. B/S could have made the podium but he did have a few stumbles out there, I really like their style. For I/K she had a great day but I though in one of the lifts he was going to drop her. The Zhulin camp had a dissapointing day.

At the start of this championship I would never have thought that Russia worst results woudl be in Ice dance. I really thought they had no hope in the singles events but there 3 skaters really delivered. I just loved Makarovas short, if her free was disappointing.

I knew that it is not going to happen after SD, the PCS are very indicative of what judges intentions are. Of course, P/B would have got on the podium had they not screwd up. But every intention was to keep Shibutanis close. Nothing against that team personally.

wallylutz

Medalist
The end of European ICE DANCING, for foreseeble future!!! Goodbye, Russia and France!

It's funny how you put it this way. The irony is Pechalat/Bourzat were pretty much assured of the Bronze after the SD but due to the freak fall, the medal that was due to be given to France has now disappeared in Russia.

The only hope for any competition from Europe is ironically another Zueva team that happens to skate under Russina flag and we did not see today, K/A. Just move ice dancing competitions to Canton and let them decide among themselves.

In my opinion K/A aren't that great. K/I are better.

I have no complaints of the results, but as for the Latin Dance which is never an easy dance to capture in competition, the Canadians took a risk. However, they danced with the rhythm of the Samba on the downbeat. Furthermore, since the Samba music is much faster than the other Latino music, it makes it more difficult to dance to on skates.

I give V/M a heluvalot of credit in making it presentable. The opening of their program was to die for. Fabulous, and they maintained that Samba throughout. Those steps are not easy on blade-to-ice. Much easier as Sonia Henie did them on toe rake. One glitch I noticed was that lift over-the-back - not the one over-the-shoulder,looked very laborious.

Davis/White did their standard performance and they did it well with no glitches.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I disagree in what concerns the russian ice dancing.
....B&S and I&K are still young and show a very good margin for progress.

I/K are 16 and 18 and have been skating internationally only since last year. B/S are both 20, and they've been around since 2007, when they won JW, so they have had lots of international experience. Unfortunately B/S have had a history of unfortunate bobbles and glitches at the senior level.

S&S were not that ahead of B&S, P&B and W&P.

S/S were behind P/B by 4.09 after the SD, and it was P/B's catastrophic fall that allowed the Shibs to move up to bronze.

But S/S were ahead of B/S and W/P in both SD and FD. Their FD sealed the deal.

I don't mind having so many greats teams. It helps to bring excitement to the competition and I love that.

I completely agree.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Meryl and Charlie. An historic moment for US Ice Dancing. They deserved evey point they got from the judges, they skated lights out. I am so happy for them.
And the young Shibs benefited from P/B's fall but that is sport and the Shibs were excellent in the SD and the FD. Loved V/M FD and I knew that Meryl and Charlie
had to be spot on and then some to beat them and they were.

Outstanding skating from the top three, Congratulations!!!!!

amateur

Final Flight
Dance programs are NEVER at their peak in their debut. The opening Samba section in V/M's danse was - WOW!! the level then dropped in the remaining 2/3s, but I really don't think it would have been possible to sustain the energy of that opening to the end, in a first-time performance. You could see they had to think through it and reach for it here and there. I echo the lament of another poster regarding the Diana Krall music, and the underwhelming choreo there, but do have faith they would have made more of that section with more mileage on the program.

D/W's FD didn't "sizzle" at all, and our perception of their expression suffers all the more by having V/M's smowing hot one just before it. It is still a really really neat program though. Their choreo was difficult, endlessly intricate and detailed. They delivered it with mastery of technique and passable - if not smoldering - expression. It had neither the highs nor the lows of V/M's program, but I think their steadiness and polish through a routine of so much amazing non-stop difficulty is what crowns them the rightful winners of this one.

The Shibutanis are precious. That was really classy.

wallylutz

Medalist
Oh hurray!!!! I think it's right. They seemed crisper and more energetic to the end. Expected it to be closer.

Two American medals!!!! And the first gold!! Hehe. I remember Hersh gloomily predicting just one medal for Americans at worlds. I don't think he even mentioned the Shibutanis. too busy lamenting the state of American singles.

Hersh is a well known basher. He likes to rain on other people's parade and regards many great skaters that he doesn't like with contempt. His latest gem was predicting a Gold medal in Sochi for Gachinsky the day Chan won Gold in Men's. His dislike for Chan is well known, though not a single word of congratulation for a man who just broke 3 world records if you can believe that. Last season, he once said Rochette getting higher PCS than Yu-Na Kim was a joke because the only way that could have happened was if Kim were standing still on the ice for the full 4 minutes. Then, after Rochette became a hot news item at the Olympics, he suddenly changed his tune and started to gush about Rochette like the best thing since sliced bread. :unsure:

If you can find him writing any figure skating article that is remotely positive on anything, then his name is not Phil Harsh.

lotte86

Rinkside
Sooo happy for Meryl and Charlie! I loved their FD! I was so nervous for them, it was hard to watch!
Also great to see the Shibutanis on the podium, they did an amazing job!
I love how D/W and V/M really bring the best out of each other, really shows how great sport can be!

Was a great ending of the championships, so much passion and fire!

lavender

Record Breaker
Congrats to D/W. So happy for them. When they change some things to the program I started to really love it. I love the beginning of V/M program but D/W's program is so difficult.

Congrats to V/M and the Shibs. Sorry for N/B. I kind of wish they won the bronze because they will probably retire soon.

Anyone it's been exhausting. Will try to ignore the negatives.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hersh is a well known basher. He likes to rain on other people's parade and regards many great skaters that he doesn't like with contempt. His latest gem was predicting a Gold medal in Sochi for Gachinsky the day Chan won Gold in Men's. His dislike for Chan is well known, though not a single word of congratulation for a man who just broke 3 world records if you can believe that.

That's Harsh. Even Johnny twitted congratulations to "World Champion and Medalists", even if he would not name them. And this is a guy who openly mocked Chan just days earlier.

I can't believe Hersh needs to learn some class from Johnny!

wallylutz

Medalist
"due"?!, please, V/M might've won the oscar for best adapted (screenplay) ballroom dancing, but D/W were exquisite, elegant, refined, and performed a COMPLETE program. Yes, their development and growth through the season is an advantage but it isn't the reason why they "gave" them the title.

I agree that V/M are more elegant, presentable, almost like movie stars shooting a scene on ice in their Latin ballroom outfit. If this were a pageantry, they would be miles ahead of D/W in my mind. But this is a sport and when I looked at the breakdown of the PCS, I note that the biggest difference come from the TR component and this is an area that is really hard to dispute, for those who know Ice Dance enough to appreciate that the composition of the dance and everything else that links the elements together really is the core of what makes this a sport.

V/M are amazing in my opinion and very courageous for coming back so quickly after a major surgery. They could have well skipped the season entirely and many would have presumed D/W win by default. At the end though, I am glad to see Ice Dance is now treated and judged as a sport as opposed to a pageantry as it often was in the past.

arinessa

Rinkside
That's Harsh. Even Johnny twitted congratulations to "World Champion and Medalists", even if he would not name them. And this is a guy who openly mocked Chan just days earlier.

I can't believe Hersh needs to learn some class from Johnny!

What did Johnny say?

kensal

Rinkside
It's funny how you put it this way. The irony is Pechalat/Bourzat were pretty much assured of the Bronze after the SD but due to the freak fall, the medal that was due to be given to France has now disappeared in Russia.

Since they declared their retirement after this season and there is no other mature Euro team in play at this moment, they have been doing extremely well this season. I never liked their programs this year, but like them overall. It is sad that France does not have anymore talent on horizon:(

wallylutz

Medalist
I'm still a bit underwhelmed with Shibs. They are truly amazing technically but performance wise still very forgettable.

Maybe it's just me as I tend to focus on the technical aspect when I watch skating - from a technical standpoint, you can't help but admire how good the Shibs are. Difficult, high standard but performed with ease and smoothness, to make their composition look effortless is quite an achievement yet they are so young. I have said before quite frankly that their lack of maturity is an issue and that they are not as good looking as many of the super good looking teams ahead of them in this model world of Ice Dance. That said, from a technical standpoint, can't take anything away from what the Shibs have achieved technically. Personally, I would hand the overall Bronze medal to Weaver/Poje on the basis of SD + FD combined. Though, I don't have an issue that the panel collectively came to a different conclusion because I have no doubt it is fair and rooted in reasonable rationale.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Why does the european team have to be mature? Shibutanis are like kids on ice playing with their dolls and skating for their parents at a talent show. They just need to be coached by Z/S.