Ice Dance - FD | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD

wallylutz

Medalist
Since they declared their retirement after this season and there is no other mature Euro team in play at this moment, they have been doing extremely well this season. I never liked their programs this year, but like them overall. It is sad that France does not have anymore talent on horizon:(

Really? I must have missed such announcement.

wallylutz

Medalist
I didn't watch this yet, but I had to spoil myself at looking at the results. I'm pretty shocked that Davis and White won, but more shocked that the Shibutanis medalled. It's also surprising to see Weaver and Poje so high.

This is a sport. If results can be easily predicted, then it might as well change its name to Ice Pageantry.

kensal

Rinkside
Congrats to the Shibs! Everything they did was pure, precise, and unrushed. Very tai chi. Has any ice dance couple won a medal at a Worlds debut before?

Mistake, Usova/Zhulin won silver in their debut 1988 year and Linichuk/Karponosov are the last one who won Bronze in their dubet year 1973

Last edited:

gospodi

Spectator
So unfair for Nathalie and Fabian! Despite the fall they were classier and more mature than the junior team. It's definitely a political sport. And apparently, nowadays, the French Federation has very little power compared to some others. Pernelle and Lloyd have also a very low ranking.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Why does the european team have to be mature? Shibutanis are like kids on ice playing with their dolls and skating for their parents at a talent show. They just need to be coached by Z/S.

:laugh: Honestly the negativity is getting kind of hilarious. "Playing with dolls"? That's a new one. Just rehashing the same hate over and over again, but keep it up if you like. You're not bringing down S/S any time soon.

smia

Rinkside
I expect P/B to retire now, unless they want to try again in their home country next year. But I highly doubt that until V/M, D/W, S/S go away, any European team can beat them. Unreachable and judges showed it with redicilously high scores and gaps. B/S and I/K and the whole Russian ice dancing is in the past, they look outdated.
Don't be ridiculous. I/K are extremely talented and are capable of great chemistry unlike a couple of medalists here. Next year things could change quite a lot. They do need to upgrade their technical content and choreography and perform more consistently but they're capable of it.

The only hope for any competition from Europe is ironically another Zueva team that happens to skate under Russina flag and we did not see today, K/A. Just move ice dancing competitions to Canton and let them decide among themselves.
All I can do is laugh. You can't seriously think that a guy who took up ice dancing at the age of 28 has the technical skills to be Russia's great hope?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So unfair for Nathalie and Fabian! Despite the fall they were classier and more mature than the junior team. It's definitely a political sport. And apparently, nowadays, the French Federation has very little power compared to some others. Pernelle and Lloyd have also a very low ranking.

It was unfortunate that they had a fall. Remember they lost 8 points because of it. A fall in ice dance at Worlds is usually fatal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I find the Shibs naturally elegant and very charming. A very notable difference they exhibit is that their holds are not very close, especially nowhere near as close as Voir's. Well, nobody can hold that close and move that fast like Voir and unfortunately they also skated right after the Shibs.

The Shibs do so well with the 50's classic and classy dances but as siblings they can only go so far with romantic dances. I think they should explore drama like the Duchesneys.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
LOL, it's not about "pageantry" it's about skating to the music. That is supposed to be a large part of this sport. If it stops being part of this sport then I will no longer participate in it. When you put the music at the forefront everything else becomes more difficult because you have to think about how are moving FIRST and then think about the technical elements second. Creativity is difficult too and needs to be rewarded.

Anyway, Davis/White were exceptional and it was a performance worthy of a World title. It just wasn't the best at this Worlds, IMO. Really wish they had won in 2009.

Funny, most everyone here thought D/W were overscored in the Short Dance, but I actually felt they were the best there. That's where their speed and intricacy outshone Virtue/Moir (I must slap V/M on the hand in the Short Dance for that dreadful Beilmann position they decided to have her use in the lift).

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Am I the only person who missed having the Kerrs and Faiella/Scali at the competition this year? :cry:

I actually wasn't a fan of most of the FD's this year. Meh. But the Kerrs and F/S always seemed to put something out there that struck a chord with me, most every year.

Last edited:

tdnuva

On the Ice
Am I the only one who walks on memory lane when listening to "Let's face the music" and seeing a dance couple on the ice? But then - in choreo and style there are a lot of differences between that FD then and the one of today....

kensal

Rinkside
Don't be ridiculous. I/K are extremely talented and are capable of great chemistry unlike a couple of medalists here. Next year things could change quite a lot. They do need to upgrade their technical content and choreography and perform more consistently but they're capable of it.

All I can do is laugh. You can't seriously think that a guy who took up ice dancing at the age of 28 has the technical skills to be Russia's great hope?

Was I talking about talent?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I find the Shibs naturally elegant and very charming. A very notable difference they exhibit is that their holds are not very close, especially nowhere near as close as Voir's. Well, nobody can hold that close and move that fast like Voir and unfortunately they also skated right after the Shibs.

The Shibs do so well with the 50's classic and classy dances but as siblings they can only go so far with romantic dances. I think they should explore drama like the Duchesneys.

This would not happen for so many reasons. Political american ice dance? Never. That may require them to offend someone. Second they are kids and it would look like a joke. They are already worlds bronze medalists in ice dance. They aren't going to change a thing - they have Z/S as coaches so they are gold.

tralfamadorian

Rinkside
They did. Can't find source now. But now they may reconsider? They certainly not staying with Zhulin for various reasons.

The guest commentator who is an international judge said on Hungarian Eurosport that P/B are going to Krylova/Camerlengo.

kensal

Rinkside
I agree with you, they lots of talent and I expect Russian Fed to drop B/S next season like a rock and we may actually never see them again instead betting on I/K, K/A and M/K.
But you missing my point again.

tdnuva

On the Ice
Am I the only person who missed having the Kerrs and Faiella/Scali at the competition this year? :cry:

I actually wasn't a fan of most of the FD's this year. Meh. But the Kerrs and F/S always seemed to put something out there that struck a chord with me, most every year.

Second that - where were they? I am so out of the loop....

smia

Rinkside
Since they declared their retirement after this season and there is no other mature Euro team in play at this moment, they have been doing extremely well this season. I never liked their programs this year, but like them overall. It is sad that France does not have anymore talent on horizon:(
Yes, France does have some upcoming talent. Zahorski/Miart placed second in the free dance at Junior Worlds and were just off the podium in fourth due to a poor short dance.