Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - FD

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    I'm serious. The Shibutanis have exceptional unison and flow, and so a programme was designed for them that emphasized that, and that was suitable for their ages. V&M offer unusually polished dance presentations, which capture the feel of specific dances *as* dances, really well, so a programme was designed for them that featured these gifts. D&W offer speed and precision in spite of difficulty, so a programme was designed for them that drew on their excellence in those areas. The Canton coaches design very specifically for the needs of their skaters, and that, I think, is the secret of their success. No dance team can offer the best of everything, and only a small percentage of dance teams can offer the best of anything, so specificity of approach is the answer. Successful choreography does not exceed the skaters' limits, but rather it distracts the audience's attention from their limitations, and calls attention to their talents, their strong points. The power of this kind of choreographing was demonstrated today.
    Absolutely correct. The Shibs have wonderful edge quality and their programs were designed to show it. V&M reach audiences with their great expression and solid skating, D&W can do great difficulty with great speed. The Z/S group design programs to highlight their skaters' best attributes. As for the podium, I think it was correct. P&B are great theatrical skaters but they both fell which killed their chances for a medal. D&W do an Argentine Tango, which is basically a battle of wills - not a romantic piece at all - more confrontational with the man playing the dominant role. I thought they did it perfectly. V&M's samba was great but their rhumba was not so "hot" and it showed - probably because they really didn't get enough feedback by missing most of the season. The Shibs did a fine representation of a Fred & Ginger routine. It wasn't innovative but it was well skated. Congrats to all the medalists.

Custom Title
    I'm serious. The Shibutanis have exceptional unison and flow, and so a programme was designed for them that emphasized that, and that was suitable for their ages. V&M offer unusually polished dance presentations, which capture the feel of specific dances *as* dances, really well, so a programme was designed for them that featured these gifts. D&W offer speed and precision in spite of difficulty, so a programme was designed for them that drew on their excellence in those areas. The Canton coaches design very specifically for the needs of their skaters, and that, I think, is the secret of their success. No dance team can offer the best of everything, and only a small percentage of dance teams can offer the best of anything, so specificity of approach is the answer. Successful choreography does not exceed the skaters' limits, but rather it distracts the audience's attention from their limitations, and calls attention to their talents, their strong points. The power of this kind of choreographing was demonstrated today.
    But all the Shibutani's did IN and performance was just to smile? That is literally all they did. I don't think that was worthy of such high marks. No range. Nothing. It was weird to me. That may be best for the Shibutanis according to Z/S but it was not worthy of a world medal. I haven't liked these programs since I first saw them. They are not even programs.

Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    I know, but it gets a little old hearing they are "kids" when yeah, they pretty much are kids! Maia's 16 and Alex just turned 20. Some mucchh older dancers out there.
    And if anything they're proved they can change, especially after the direction they were going with last year's FD, and found something that really worked this year. S/Z do a good job of changing up the style season after season...nothing similar about V/M FD from this year and last for example.

Hehe, hey you never know, they could change your opinion sooner than you think.
    But anyways, your opinion is still as good as mine!
    I can change my mind - I did with Chan. But the 2010-2011 season for S/S was one of terrible programs and undeserved medals.

Custom Title
    ITA. Couldn't have said it better.

Congratulations to the medalists! I absolutely loved Virtue & Moir's free dance. I feel horrible for Péchalat & Bourzat, but the Shibutanis were great and really deserved their medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur View Post
    Dance programs are NEVER at their peak in their debut. The opening Samba section in V/M's danse was - WOW!! the level then dropped in the remaining 2/3s, but I really don't think it would have been possible to sustain the energy of that opening to the end, in a first-time performance. You could see they had to think through it and reach for it here and there. I echo the lament of another poster regarding the Diana Krall music, and the underwhelming choreo there, but do have faith they would have made more of that section with more mileage on the program.

D/W's FD didn't "sizzle" at all, and our perception of their expression suffers all the more by having V/M's smowing hot one just before it. It is still a really really neat program though. Their choreo was difficult, endlessly intricate and detailed. They delivered it with mastery of technique and passable - if not smoldering - expression. It had neither the highs nor the lows of V/M's program, but I think their steadiness and polish through a routine of so much amazing non-stop difficulty is what crowns them the rightful winners of this one.

The Shibutanis are precious. That was really classy.
    I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment, these are my thoughts as well even though I personally like V/M better than D/W as a team but judging in this sport is not about personal favorites but rather who wins based on the established rules and criteria. If we want this to be a real competition and Olympic sport that non-figure skating fans can respect as well, then one cannot expect that same person and same team will win 100% of the times and that placement is always the same.

Custom Title
    I am so happy for D/W. Congratulation for the first American to win the world gold medal. Couldn't have come to a more deserving team!

Congratulations are also in order for V/M & the Shibs. Oh, this is such a happy day for America!

Tripping on the Podium
    The jury on Shibutani is still out. I would like to see how they mature. So far I see great skills and cute smiling faces. But let's see them do Mujer Latina in front of a hostile no-American judging panel before issuing a verdict.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Am I the only person who missed having the Kerrs and Faiella/Scali at the competition this year?

I actually wasn't a fan of most of the FD's this year. Meh. But the Kerrs and F/S always seemed to put something out there that struck a chord with me, most every year.
    You do realize they are very old teams, 30+ year in age for the 4 of them, like double the age of Maia Shibutani. It's time for them to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Two American medals!!!! And the first gold!! Hehe. I remember Hersh gloomily predicting just one medal for Americans at worlds. I don't think he even mentioned the Shibutanis. too busy lamenting the state of American singles.
    I called him on his doom and gloom on twitter and he got really offended. Said if he were all doom and gloom he wouldn't have mentioned our chances to win. Um, right, dude. The end of the world was the theme of how many articles this year?

Rinkside
    I'm sorry but who are you talking about? Blanc/Bouquet?

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Bravo Team Canton ! Z/S are gods !

Bravo Meryl & Charlie , well deserved ! I could never begrudge these two , although my heart is with V/M.

Bravo Tessa & Scott , great dance ! Too bad it had to have so little mileage. Fabulous to see them really on the way back.

Bravo Shibs , way to deliver ! It was wonderful to see the !!Canton Sextet!! on the podium .

And on another note ,

Weaver & Poje...5th ! They achieved their goal . Sweet. Among all the things I find to admire in them, their work ethic has been obvious and laudable this year.

Canada, 3 in the top ten ! Woo-Hoo!

I have to go and let this all sink in. And rewatch , of course.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I called him on his doom and gloom on twitter and he got really offended. Said if he were all doom and gloom he wouldn't have mentioned our chances to win. Um, right, dude. The end of the world was the theme of how many articles this year?
    You should have asked him whether he would consider changing his legal name to Harsh which would be much more suitable and appropriate for him.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    You should have asked him whether he would consider changing his legal name to Harsh which would be much more suitable and appropriate for him.
    I made my point and moved on. Nothing gained by arguing with someone who thinks so highly of himself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I made my point and moved on. Nothing gained by arguing with someone who thinks so highly of himself.
    I was being sarcastic of course, and you are right. That said, don't expect him to write an article re: Ice Dance medals today for the U.S. without again going back to lament the lack of medals and potential in ladies. This time, I wonder if he would spare Rachael Flatt of her life.

Custom Title
    Well, already I'm looking to next year.......wonder how Islam & Paul will do.......I hope they get some grand prix events. They are very young, and are just as talented as the Shibs and I/K, an added plus is that they are both georgeous.

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast