Ice Dance - FD | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance - FD

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The only way C/P should go to Linichuk is if she (a) has no Russian teams and (b) does not choreograph their programs. Zazoui is an interesting choice.

C/P can definitely come back strong. But I do wonder if they will take the right message from this. There's something about the way that Lane packages them that makes me wonder, truth be told.

After the host picks, the hosts draw for selection of the 1-3 seeds, then the 4-6 seeds, then the remaining slots.

There will be some limitations for each host based on the host picks.

The seeds usually will declare their event preferences, which are usually (but not always for the 4-6 seeds) honored.

Chuck, can you supply some more detail about this process.?

1. When the federations draw, do they draw names of skaters out of a hat, or do they draw to go first, second, third, etc. in making their selections?

2. When do the seeds make their preferences known? If Russia draws first and says we want Davis and White, do Davis and White then pop up and say, aw, we were hoping for NHK? Or is this all negotiated out beforehand.

3. You say that the skaters' preferences are usually but not always honored. Does it ever happen that a federation is adamant about who they want, and the skater's say "heck no. I won't go?" I assume in that case the ISU could disqualify them from the whole Grand Prix?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Linichuk would be an interesting choice for C/P. At least she could fix their (especially Vanessa's) problems with posture and lines. Zazoui - not that much, C/L had a lot of problems with their TES when she coached them, and it's not like their programs were great. I think C/P already have decent programs (but why they didn't use the original version of Fallen for their SD, it's so much better!) and maybe should continue to work with their choreographers. And some kind of make over wouldn't hurt, I didn't like their costumes and Vanessa's appearence at all (the same can be said about Bobrova/Soloviev).
But actually I was happy when W/P finally beat C/P, I always thought they are better

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Really? I thought Bobrova/Soloviev looked stunning in the FD. The colour choices and the costumes were divine. Because Bobrova can make such interesting shapes (the arch in her back during the first lift, for example), the boldness of red was a very smart choice.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Really? I thought Bobrova/Soloviev looked stunning in the FD. The colour choices and the costumes were divine. Because Bobrova can make such interesting shapes (the arch in her back during the first lift, for example), the boldness of red was a very smart choice.

I liked Bobrova's dress for the FD too actually, but that's her only decent dress in a whole season. The previous one with that huge rose was just awful, so I was very happy when she changed it. And I didn't like their SD costumes, at Euros I thought it was ok, but here, compared to Canton's teams they didn't look very good

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
aside from the Shibs and P/B - I am not a fan of the top teams. That being said I was really loving V/M's FD - it was obviously new and I kinda hope they keep it for next season (if their bodies don't give out on them further). D/W are always... "technicians" in my eyes. Their only program that I really enjoyed was last years's Original Dance... which was inspired.

The shibs are adorable and have room to improve. Let's face it had P/B not fallen we'd not have a N. American sweep. As others have said a fall in ice dance can kill your chances no question there. The Shibs need to skate a little closer together when they are in classic dance hold (this is my untrained opinion) but other than that I loved their classic look in the FD. And her dress reminded me of a mermaid.

wallylutz

Medalist
That being said I was really loving V/M's FD - it was obviously new and I kinda hope they keep it for next season (if their bodies don't give out on them further).

Even if they want to, it may not be possible because next year's SD rythm is Rhumba CD + Latin combination ( One to three of: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Merengue )

However, it's possible they can modify their Latin FD into a highlighted version for SD of next season.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Rewatching V/M's FD. Love the bit in the KnC when Scott goes "look at Alex and Maia" in reference to finding out they were podium bound. He actually does a double-take and tells Tessa excitedly. Very cool. And yet another demonstration that Shpilband and Zoueva have done something really remarkable in creating the Canton environment.

CassAgain

On the Ice
Rewatching V/M's FD. Love the bit in the KnC when Scott goes "look at Alex and Maia" in reference to finding out they were podium bound. He actually does a double-take and tells Tessa excitedly. Very cool. And yet another demonstration that Shpilband and Zoueva have done something really remarkable in creating the Canton environment.

That is a very endearing moment.

Even if they want to, it may not be possible because next year's SD rhythm is Rhumba CD + Latin combination ( One to three of: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Merengue )

However, it's possible they can modify their Latin FD into a highlighted version for SD of next season.

That's a great idea.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I loved V/M's Alex and Maia moment in the Kn'C. Also Tessa , when Brenda Irving asked what they would be doing next ( obviously in regard to their skating ). Tessa : " Well, we're going to celebrate with Meryl and Charlie..." :biggrin:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I just watched this from cbc online today since I wasn't able to watch it yesterday.

I can't believe Davis and White finally won a world title. I actually preferred Virtue and Moir's FD, but I thought Davis and White were fine as winners. There really wasn't much difference between the two top dances - both were excellent. Virtue and Moir did show more passion, but I guess Davis and White were a bit more technically on. It was heartbreaking to watch Pechalat and Bourzat fall, because they really wanted that bronze medal and other than the fall, the dance was skated SO well. I'm ok with the Shibutanis winning the bronze medal under that circumstance, but without the fall by P/B they totally wouldn't have won it. I think the Shibs might be a little overrated now but idk. I sort of preferred Bobrova and Soloviev a bit. Ilinykh and Katsalapov were better than at Euros, I think, but I'm generally not a fan of this team. Re: the Canadian teams, I was happy for W/P to defeat C/P for once, since they're always losing to them by like half a point and it must get frustrating especially when one of those losses was for an Olympic spot. That was the best FD I ever saw W/P do. I did like C/P's too though. Outside of the top 10 I loved Carron and Jones, Tobias and Stagnunias, the Reeds, and Guignard and Fabbri, but I was pretty much pleased with all the programs and IIRC there was only the one fall by P/B in the whole event (meaning the FD, not the SD and FD together, but I actually don't recall any falls in the SD either unless they were by lower-ranked teams I wasn't watching closely).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chuck, can you supply some more detail about this process.?

1. When the federations draw, do they draw names of skaters out of a hat, or do they draw to go first, second, third, etc. in making their selections?

2. When do the seeds make their preferences known? If Russia draws first and says we want Davis and White, do Davis and White then pop up and say, aw, we were hoping for NHK? Or is this all negotiated out beforehand.

3. You say that the skaters' preferences are usually but not always honored. Does it ever happen that a federation is adamant about who they want, and the skater's say "heck no. I won't go?" I assume in that case the ISU could disqualify them from the whole Grand Prix?

What follows is the selection procedure that was implemented last year. There may be changes in this procedure (for example, it's been suggested that instead of the 'top 75 on the Seasons Best Score list' rule, there may be a stipulation of the lowest score permissible based on a percentage of the highest score in each discipline). We won't find out about any changes until the GP document is issued by the ISU after the fact.

The first step is the hosts each select 3 skaters/team from their own countries in each discipline as their "host picks". There are no qualifications (no Seasons Best score requirement, e.g.).

After each host has named its host picks, the process for selecting the remaining skaters/teams begins.

In each invitation group, the hosts draw for selection order.

The first phase is seed selection. The top seeds may make their preferences known before the selection process and usually they are honored. I suspect the seeds may be pre-negotiated before the selection process even starts. I suppose if a seed didn't get their preference, he/she/they would just have to accept it.

Seeds 1-3 are drawn first. The number of seeds available for selection depends on how many remain available after the host picks. Then each host who has not already picked a seed (via host pick), in order of draw, selects a seed.

There is another draw for selection order for Seeds 4-6.

When each host has selected two seeds, one from 1-3 and one from 4-6. Seed selection is complete.

Next, there is a draw for selection order for skaters who have placed 7th-12th at Worlds. In draw order, each host selects two from this group. When all the skaters/teams in this category have each been named for two invitations, the selection is complete.

Next, there is a draw for selection order for skaters who have been guaranteed at least one invitation, either by being in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, or by medaling at the JGPF or JW. Each host may select two skaters/teams from this category. The main qualification for this category is that the skaters must rank in the top 75 on the Seasons Best score list. This may disqualify Samuelson/Bates from receiving invitations from other hosts, since they didn't compete last season due to injury.

Next, there is a draw for selection order for skaters who have achieved a score in the top 24 on the Seasons Best list who have not already been selected under another category. When all skaters/teams in this category have been named at least once, this category is complete.

There is one more draw for selection order for skaters to fill up the remaining vacancies. Hosts may then select a second event for skaters already named, or a first event for skaters not falling into one of the 'guaranteed' categories. Top 75 on SB list is a requirement for selection in this category also.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think they should change up the order of GP events each year so that top skaters have opportunities to participate in more GPs at different locations. E.g. COC is almost always scheduled right after SC, just a week after, so it's unlikely that Chan will go to Beijing GP since he almost surely must compete at SC. He will never get to go to NHK as long as Japan has a skater in the top 3. Nations without a top 3 skaters offer more possibilities.

I am using the top 3 for this discussion because they are the big draws and the most sought after.

eta I'm still bummed for J10 for being scheduled for NHK and SC back to back last year, at the beginning of the season, after an injury and missing training. :mad:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, the same sort of thing wasn't very good for Ross Miner, either. He did CoC and NHK and had to decide whether to stay in Japan or China or go back to the US, given there were 2 weeks between the events.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Host picks are the first order of business for the GP.
So the host picks would likely be:

USA: [1] D/W. Can't pick [3] S/S. Will likely choose Samuelson/Bates, who can't get invites as they are not on the SB list, having sat out this season with injury.
CAN: [2] V/M; can and might pick [5] W/P
FRA: [4] P/B; can and might pick [12] C/J.
RUS: [6] B/S; can and might pick [7] I/K
CHN: H/Z and/or Y/W
JPN: Reeds

After the host picks, the hosts draw for selection of the 1-3 seeds, then the 4-6 seeds, then the remaining slots.
There will be some limitations for each host based on the host picks.

The seeds usually will declare their event preferences, which are usually (but not always for the 4-6 seeds) honored.

Russia, who has the 6 seed, has to pick a 1-3 seed, and I think they will pick S/S, to set up a confrontation between S/S and I/K. France might do the same, to have a better chance of winning gold. Of course, the Shibs might state a preference for CoC or NHK, and not get stuck with two hostile events.

I am fairly certain that the Shibs declaire their preference for NHK and their wish would be granted. The Shibs are Japanese-American and they are very popular in Japan.

The thing I am not certain is that are the top 3 seeds allowed to declaire two event venue preferences or just one? Please someone let me know.

Now, assuming the top seeds are allowed to declaire two event preferences, the Shibs' second choice is likely CoC in order to avoid hostile events. Here things get interesting. :biggrin:

If we take purely political considerations, China perceives both US and Japan as rivals; the Shibs are Japanese-American! :think: On the other hand, purely from the strategic point of view of maximising the Chinese dance teams' higher placement finish, the Chinese fed would want to invite the lowest ranked top seeds: the Shibs. (decision, decision).

I can't wait to see the next season's invitation lists. :laugh:

KKonas

Medalist
IP, have you seen yesterday Paul McIntosh in the studio? He thinks that C/P will revolutionize ice dance. And I am not hearing this for the first time. They have the best skating skills according to many, so with the right material, they should rebound and not fade away. I am fully expecting them to come back strong.

Well, they will first have to work on power stroking. They are the slowest and least powerful of the top teams, which is why their hype by Skate Canada is not working with the international judges.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The top seeds almost always compete at the GP at home as the top draws. The US now has the delicious situation of having 2 top 3 in Ice Dance so the Shibs will compete in two foreign GPs and they will liekly let known their 2 preferences. Most tops seeds in each category usually get to ask for one preference.

Joubert asked for COC last year hoping to complete his set of medals. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Considering that every host has to pick 2 seeds and 2 from 7-12 at Worlds, Chinese dance teams have no shot at a high placement at CoC or any other GP event. Their top team, Huang/Zheng, was 17th at Worlds 2011; they were 5th in both GP events last season, and that's about as high as they have any hope of getting. Yu/Wang, 18th at 2010 Worlds, were 8th and 9th at their two GP events.

So it doesn't matter much what seeds get picked for CoC, since even the mid-level teams are stiff competition for the Chinese dancers.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, they will first have to work on power stroking. They are the slowest and least powerful of the top teams, which is why their hype by Skate Canada is not working with the international judges.

It was the international judges who put them on the map. They have done very well by the international judges this last year, except at Worlds.