Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - FD

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Host picks are the first order of business for the GP.
    So the host picks would likely be:

USA: [1] D/W. Can't pick [3] S/S. Will likely choose Samuelson/Bates, who can't get invites as they are not on the SB list, having sat out this season with injury.
    CAN: [2] V/M; can and might pick [5] W/P
    FRA: [4] P/B; can and might pick [12] C/J.
    RUS: [6] B/S; can and might pick [7] I/K
    CHN: H/Z and/or Y/W
    JPN: Reeds

After the host picks, the hosts draw for selection of the 1-3 seeds, then the 4-6 seeds, then the remaining slots.
    There will be some limitations for each host based on the host picks.

The seeds usually will declare their event preferences, which are usually (but not always for the 4-6 seeds) honored.

Russia, who has the 6 seed, has to pick a 1-3 seed, and I think they will pick S/S, to set up a confrontation between S/S and I/K. France might do the same, to have a better chance of winning gold. Of course, the Shibs might state a preference for CoC or NHK, and not get stuck with two hostile events.
    I am fairly certain that the Shibs declaire their preference for NHK and their wish would be granted. The Shibs are Japanese-American and they are very popular in Japan.

The thing I am not certain is that are the top 3 seeds allowed to declaire two event venue preferences or just one? Please someone let me know.

Now, assuming the top seeds are allowed to declaire two event preferences, the Shibs' second choice is likely CoC in order to avoid hostile events. Here things get interesting.

If we take purely political considerations, China perceives both US and Japan as rivals; the Shibs are Japanese-American! On the other hand, purely from the strategic point of view of maximising the Chinese dance teams' higher placement finish, the Chinese fed would want to invite the lowest ranked top seeds: the Shibs. (decision, decision).

I can't wait to see the next season's invitation lists.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    IP, have you seen yesterday Paul McIntosh in the studio? He thinks that C/P will revolutionize ice dance. And I am not hearing this for the first time. They have the best skating skills according to many, so with the right material, they should rebound and not fade away. I am fully expecting them to come back strong.
    Well, they will first have to work on power stroking. They are the slowest and least powerful of the top teams, which is why their hype by Skate Canada is not working with the international judges.

Custom Title
    The top seeds almost always compete at the GP at home as the top draws. The US now has the delicious situation of having 2 top 3 in Ice Dance so the Shibs will compete in two foreign GPs and they will liekly let known their 2 preferences. Most tops seeds in each category usually get to ask for one preference.

Joubert asked for COC last year hoping to complete his set of medals. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Custom Title
    Considering that every host has to pick 2 seeds and 2 from 7-12 at Worlds, Chinese dance teams have no shot at a high placement at CoC or any other GP event. Their top team, Huang/Zheng, was 17th at Worlds 2011; they were 5th in both GP events last season, and that's about as high as they have any hope of getting. Yu/Wang, 18th at 2010 Worlds, were 8th and 9th at their two GP events.

So it doesn't matter much what seeds get picked for CoC, since even the mid-level teams are stiff competition for the Chinese dancers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Well, they will first have to work on power stroking. They are the slowest and least powerful of the top teams, which is why their hype by Skate Canada is not working with the international judges.
    It was the international judges who put them on the map. They have done very well by the international judges this last year, except at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    The top seeds almost always compete at the GP at home as the top draws. The US now has the delicious situation of having 2 top 3 in Ice Dance so the Shibs will compete in two foreign GPs and they will liekly let known their 2 preferences. Most tops seeds in each category usually get to ask for one preference.

Joubert asked for COC last year hoping to complete his set of medals. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
    Are you saying that the top seed can state preferences for two venue locations but only one location can be guaranteed, and the second location cannot be guaranteed?

Custom Title
    Joubert DID get CoC. Unfortunately, he finished 4th.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    Are you saying that the top seed can state preferences for two venue locations but only one location can be guaranteed, and the second location cannot be guaranteed?
    No, there is never a quarantee. A top seed usually competes at the home event and that leaves one choice to make.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Joubert DID get CoC. Unfortunately, he finished 4th.
    Exactly. No medal from COC to complete his set.

eta. What I stated is due to the fact that most top seeds come from the big federations which also host GP. It's different when a top seed hails from a non GP hosting nation, such as Korea. Kim will have to compete in foreign GPs and I'm quite sure she goes whereever she wants.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 05-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.

Great post, chuckm. Thank you.

One more question. What happens if a seeded skater (Yu-na Kim, for instance) retires or declines to contest the Grand Prix. Do all the seeds automatically move up?

Custom Title
    It was the international judges who put them on the map. They have done very well by the international judges this last year, except at Worlds.
    C/P may have finished in fairly good positions, but they haven't scored well. Their highest score was from their first event, Skate Canada, where they had the home ice factor at work for them. Their scores either dropped or never got any higher as the year went along. The teams ahead of them showed improvement both in performance and marks as the season unfolded. C/P seemed to be running in place.

151.13 61.01 90.12 Worlds - 10th (8th in 2010, ahead of B/S and C/L, who beat them here).
    151.83 61.66 90.17 4CC - 3rd behind D/W and S/S; 3.55 points behind S/S
    139.74 54.82 84.92 GPF - 3rd behind D/W and P/B; 22.36 pts behind P/B, 2.99 points ahead of B/S, who beat them at Worlds.
    149.08 60.41 88.67 SA - 2nd behind D/W; 3.95 points ahead of S/S
    154.42 62.95 91.47 SC - 1st, 4.6 points ahead of Kerrs and 10.65 points ahead of C/Z, who beat them at Worlds

The story tells itself. The teams they beat early in the season kept getting better and better, while C/P pretty much remained the same or retrogressed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Great post, chuckm. Thank you.

One more question. What happens if a seeded skater (Yu-na Kim, for instance) retires or declines to contest the Grand Prix. Do all the seeds automatically move up?
    No

Custom Title
    No, there is never a quarantee. A top seed usually competes at the home event and that leaves one choice to make.
    Oh, I see. Because the US now has two top seeded teams, the Shibs are in a unique position to having to state two preferences, as it is almost certain D/W would skate at the home event.

In that case, I am assuming that there will be furious behind the door negotiations to avoid having the Shibs skate at two hostile events (Russia & France).

It's sounds rather unfair that the Shibs are unduly targetted by Russia & France. It's not their fault that the Shibs got the Bronze medals; they simply skated their best. On the other hand, P/B had a freak accident, and the Russians, in spite of the home court advantage, did not bring it.

I kind of feel protective of the Shibs. They are so young and having to become a target of hostility But oh well, this is the reality.
    Last edited by CARA; 05-01-2011 at 04:50 PM.

^ "The hottest fires forge the strongest steel." (Voiceover on Alissa Czisny's Chrysler ads. )

Custom Title
    If a skater/team is selected at the GP meeting and published in the GP roster, then later withdraws (as Kim did last year), the skaters/teams below don't move up.

If one of the seeds announces retirement BEFORE the selection meeting, then the ones below them move up. I don't see any of the dance seeds retiring, though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ "The hottest fires forge the strongest steel." (Voiceover on Alissa Czisny's Chrysler ads. )
    My head says yes , but my heart says, Nooooooooo!

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast