Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: Ice Dance - FD

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nikiya View Post
    This WC is when I finally took notice of the Shibs as the real deal. Their fluidity and skills at such a young stage in their career is something to behold, and it would be interesting to see them progress and branch out even further. Also, the Shibs come across as very likable personalities on ice, they make you want to root for them. That's a very rare and special quality to possess. Their FD was infectious and at certain points they made me want to go join them out on the ice....dance for the sake of dancing, sometimes you don't need any drama or motives to dance. That's how I sum up their charming FD.
    So you see all this talent in the Shibs but not in I/K?

Iliny and Kats, were my standouts for the season. They have sooo much charm going for them. I don't expect anyone to drop their favorites but good critics notice more than just the top performers. How far I/K will go, I dunno. They are up against a good team from their own region. How Russia pits them together I dunno, but they are good. Compare them with the Shibs? Why can't I like both.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    So you see all this talent in the Shibs but not in I/K?
    IMO this season the Shibs were both technically and artistically superior to I/ K. That may very well change next season, that's what I love about these new ice dancers and to a lesser degree the new judging system. I mean the Shibs didn't even make the podium at Jr Worlds last season , while I/ K were touted as the next dominant Russian team and future world champs.

Some of the fault lie with Zhulin for allowing I/ K to debut their senior season with such an uninspired FD so obviously unsuitable for them. I/ K's Schindler's List program wasn't one of my top FDs but I can appreciate it from a dramatic or artistic angle. However, it's clear that Don Q FD, which I/ K also messed up at Russian Nationals, was a step back for them. Instead of showing them off in their best attributes, the program pointed out to both judges and fans some glaring shortcomings to their skating. It's strange because Zhulin has to be smarter than to rely on past reputations alone. He has to know that judges don't automatically go crazy over heavily-promoted and hyped Russian skaters skating to slapdash program disguised as ballet on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by nikiya View Post
    IThis WC is when I finally took notice of the Shibs as the real deal. Their fluidity and skills at such a young stage in their career is something to behold, and it would be interesting to see them progress and branch out even further. Also, the Shibs come across as very likable personalities on ice, they make you want to root for them. That's a very rare and special quality to possess. Their FD was infectious and at certain points they made me want to go join them out on the ice....dance for the sake of dancing, sometimes you don't need any drama or motives to dance. That's how I sum up their charming FD.
    Thanks for some interesting insights. I am not a big Ice Dancing fan and basically watch for fun and the sheer entertainment of it.

I felt the same way after watching the Shibs and agree they haves something very special about them that goes past their skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    Thanks for some interesting insights. I am not a big Ice Dancing fan and basically watch for fun and the sheer entertainment of it.

I felt the same way after watching the Shibs and agree they haves something very special about them that goes past their skating.
    Kerr & Kerr have the similar likeable quality. Kerrs might not have been the best skaters at any given competition, but audience always rooted for them. By the same token, the Shibs' skating always make me smile broadly.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Late to the party again..I got all involved in the repackaging of C/P thread.

nikiya some really interesting points re; I/K's DQ. I do agree. I wanted to point out to Pogue earlier , though , that maybe the most accurate thing about the program was Elena's smile . her character , Kitri , is probably the biggest flirt , dazzler and showoff in all of Ballet. But apart from a few DQ-esque poses and flourishes, there wasn't much DQ in this program. nikiya points out the problems in port de bras , etc. and besides that it's ironic, that story and charcter aside, one of the main attractions of this ballet is some pretty fabulous footwork...so...where was it ? The scary lift is, I think, meant to approximate a particular spectacular one handed overhead lift from the ballet..but dang it ..the danseur is on a stage , not moving across a sheet of ice.( and the ballerina's leg is not wrapped around his neck )

Banned
    The most interesting thing for next season for me is to see Davis-White in Lating SD. Especially after there fans said so many bad words about Virtue in Latin dance
    And io think Iliynikh-Katsalapov will have betetr results in next season. I think Latin dance will suit them a lot. In SD they had so much power, speed at WCh - so i am sure they could be much better in FD next year.
    I dont think all could relax (i mean D-W, Shibs). Next year this could be different results. And this will be inteersting.
    Zueva made for Shibs the same programs, like she did for V-M. They had really greate skating sjills, but is this greate to be someone copy? Hope Maia and Alex will show something uniqui in future. This will be greate to watch.

And as for future medals. I think now Russia have greate chances for gold in pairs skating.
    Canada have Patrick Chan.
    Japan - women gold medalist.
    So to be honest. only chance for USA is ice dance now. So i wasnt surprised with D-W gold this year and will not be surprise with Shibs gold in Sochi

And i dont think W-P was worst then Shibs at THIS WCh, even if i see this team coould be one of the best in fututre. Sorry.
    And i dont know why judges didnt like really unusuall choreo from C-P in FD.

I dont think all could relax (i mean D-W, Shibs). Next year this could be different results. And this will be inteersting.
    Was there any indication that Davis and White and the Shibs were planning on resting on their laurels next season?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    Was there any indication that Davis and White and the Shibs were planning on resting on their laurels next season?
    But other teams will not rest too
    Pechalat-Bourzat could be really greate in next season with Kamerlengo programs/
    I-K will improved - so this will be interesting, how close they could be with Shibs.
    And like i said before- cant waite to see d-W in Latin SD

Custom Title
    Don't forget V/M. I doubt that they will be taking a break either. They will come back with a vengeance with proper training and a full season. What they did this year with a 107 in a FD first time out was amazing. They will also grow and improve if they remain healthy.

Custom Title
    Let's all agree that everyone will try to improve next season.

Banned
    I don't think that Tessa's image and dress were the right choice for her. She has a very beautiful natural pale look that matches her eyes perfectly well. That suntan and overdressy gold dress for a casual Latin dance music made her look heavier, and even fatter.

Custom Title
    I do think she was bigger than normal, dress notwithstanding. She didn't seem to be at her competition weight like she was for Mahler. I have to admit I quite liked it - she looked more solid and it suits the Latin more than a willow-wisp would.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I don't think that Tessa's image and dress were the right choice for her. She has a very beautiful natural pale look that matches her eyes perfectly well. That suntan and overdressy gold dress for a casual Latin dance music made her look heavier, and even fatter.
    O yes- all must look, like Meryl Davis. She will look perfect in Latin SD.
    I dont think V-M need to compete. They have all, what they want and and they will be greate stars for any show
    P-B need to work hard for next season. In Moscow they lost there last chance. But in Nice they could have next one

Custom Title
    P/B should medal in Nice, but I'm not sure it will be gold. In Moscow, their SD was 3.43 points behind V/M and 2.79 points behind D/W. That's a pretty big difference in ice dance. If you gave them back the 10 points they lost in their FD because of the fall, they'd still wind up with about 175 points, 10 points behind D/W and nearly 9 points behind V/M. That's a huge margin to make up. D/W and V/M are not going to be standing still, waiting for P/B to catch up to them, let alone move ahead.

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast