Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: New Trend

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    I guess you are one of the big Michelle's fan...
    I'm sorry if I offened any way...

    But when I think of Michelle's artistic side of skating...
    I can only think about...

    1. waving arms(not using the whole body)
    2. grin during her spirals(you guys hail it as emotion)
    3. never saw her doing simple ina bauer

    Were there anything special that I really don't know about her?
    The only thing REAL SPECIAL about Michelle is her ABILITY TO WIN...
    Maybe because you didn't watch carefully enough:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iok96fRDFYA#t=0m44s

    Care to tell me what you just saw in this clip?

    OMG, Michelle doing an Ina Bauer at 15 on her way to win her 1st World. I love it when people can't even get their facts straight first.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260

    The Close PCS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This is not a "new trend." There is no CoP bullet for "exquisiteness."

    But in any athletic contest you will not win if you constantly fall down.
    The most close PCS was in Tokyo 2009 GPF...between Yuna and Miki.

    Yuna got 61.70 and 33.80 = 95.50
    Miki got 58.62 and 30.60 = 89.22 for LP and SP

    the differnce was 6.28 in favor of Yuna in Miki's HOME TURF...where skater is held up.

    2011 Worlds...the difference narrowed to...3.97 total

    How wide was it in Vancouver?
    Probably anywhere 10 ~ 20 points between the TWO.

    Mathman...I know you are as reasonable as myself...I respect your opinion...ALWAYS!

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Maybe because you didn't watch carefully enough:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iok96fRDFYA#t=0m44s

    Care to tell me what you just saw in this clip?


    OMG, Michelle doing an Ina Bauer at 15 on her way to win her 1st World. I love it when people can't even get their facts straight first.
    Thank you for the youtube...I didn't watch it but I'll take your word for it.

  4. #19

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    Yes, I'm sad...Yuna did not win!
    But I have NO PROBLEM about Miki winning the competition.
    Miki was a definite winner under 6.0

    I just love the ARTISTIC SIDE of skating...why I watch LADIES only...Miki seems like very nice person...CONGRATULATIONS again !

  6. #21
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    What a hilarious thread

  7. #22
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342
    Awarding consistency? Oh yeah, because Miki is so much more consistent than Yuna is.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    1. waving arms(not using the whole body)
    2. grin during her spirals(you guys hail it as emotion)
    3. never saw her doing simple ina bauer
    Your first point is your opinion, so I won't argue with that, but to try to justify your point with the latter two is kind of ridiculous. I mean, really, would you rather her look constipated during her spirals?

    Both Yuna and Michelle smile during their spirals. I think it's because they're honestly happy they're on the ice.

    As for the third point, I really would like to laugh. I don't know if you think Yuna's, Sasha's, Shizuka's versions of the Ina Bauer are "simple", but I assure you they are not. They're a variation of the "classic" Ina Bauer, due to their layback position. And the Ina Bauer is not the only way to be "exquisite" or "artistic" ... With that said, Michelle has done plenty of "simple Ina Bauers" in her programs.

    It is not really a new trend, rather, it is going back to old days when consistent Michelle almost always beats exquisite Sasha.
    Sasha almost never skated a clean long program. That's why she lost out on the top spot most of the time. She was a for sure a very beautiful skater, but what is beauty when you're stumbling all over the place looking like a clumsy swan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    What a hilarious thread
    True, but the juvenile me who's looking for some sort of drama just wanted to respond.

    AHAHAHAAHAHa. Totally NOT what I was expecting!
    Last edited by aftertherain; 04-30-2011 at 05:07 PM.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Awarding consistency? Oh yeah, because Miki is so much more consistent than Yuna is.



    Your first point is your opinion, so I won't argue with that, but to try to justify your point with the latter two is kind of ridiculous. I mean, really, would you rather her frown during her spirals?

    As for the third point, I really would like to laugh. I don't know if you think Yuna's, Sasha's, Shizuka's versions of the Ina Bauer are "simple", but I assure you they are not. They're a variation of the "classic" Ina Bauer, due to their layback position. And the Ina Bauer is not the only way to be "exquisite" or "artistic" ...



    Sasha almost never skated a clean long program. That's why she lost out on the top spot most of the time. She was a for sure a very beautiful skater, but what is beauty when you're stumbling all over the place looking like a clumsy swan?



    True, but the juvenile me who's looking for some sort of drama just wanted to respond.



    AHAHAHAAHAHa. Totally NOT what I was expecting!
    There are certain things that a skater cannot do...

    Yuna cannot do 3axels, spirals like Sasha...
    Michelle cannot do beautiful ina bauer, Bielleman spin and beautiful skating for GENERAL AUDIENCE.

    You may disregard my opinion as Michelle hater's opinion...but I'm telling the truth from my mind.

  9. #24
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post

    You may disregard my opinion as Michelle hater's opinion...but I'm telling the truth from my mind.
    I could care less if you dislike Michelle or aren't a fan of hers. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean you have to be.

    I'm not even trying to "disregard" your opinion, you just have weird logic. And it seems to me that you're disregarding my opinion more than I'm disregarding yours.

    There are certain things that a skater cannot do...

    Yuna cannot do 3axels, spirals like Sasha...

    Michelle cannot do beautiful ina bauer, Bielleman spin and beautiful skating for GENERAL AUDIENCE.
    No idea what point you're trying to make with this, but okay. I mean, I could just sit here and argue that Yuna's Biellmann is terrible in comparison to so and so or such and such, but ... eh.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 04-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I could care less if you dislike Michelle or aren't a fan of hers. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean you have to be.

    I'm not even trying to "disregard" your opinion, you just have weird logic. And it seems to me that you're disregarding my opinion more than I'm disregarding yours.


    No idea what point you're trying to make with this, but okay. I mean, I could just sit here and argue that Yuna's Biellmann is terrible in comparison to so and so or such and such, but ... eh.
    Sorry for you and Michelle fans...

    Some people do not like me because...
    I'm inflexible like Brian Orser...I cannot be negotiated...
    I'm firm in what I believe...

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,431
    I think I will hijack this thread by going with its title instead of its intent.

    Specifically, I want to discuss BoP's views on the trends for Men and Ladies.

    This is the year after the Olympics. The first year of the new quadrennium is treated differently by different athletes. Often some veterans retire and some young talents try to seize the opportunity to step up and get noticed. In between, the current talents still in the game, take different approaches and affect the sport with their actions.

    In Mens, we have a super talent who became super motivated to step up big time regardless of circusmstance, focusing on his personal goals of achievement whatever the rules of incentives, his winning chances, and what his rivals' plans and actions are. Even before his final and ultimate accomplishment of the season, even when he was falling all over during the early process of his road to success, Patrick already changed the game of Mens figure skating. His rivals are pushed and those formally and temporarily retired will have to rethink their plans.

    In Ladies, it's a whole different story. Rochette, like Lysacek and Plushenko of Mens, were not in the game for at least this last year. Of the two dominating rivals, Yuna took a year off from competitions but came back just for Worlds, likely to fulfil her required duty of securing entries for Korea. Mao, the jumping queen, the one with the 3A, decided she needed to dump her old reliable tools and relearn how to jump all over again. She must have seen it as a necessity to up her ante for her continued skating career. It is admirable to me, just as Patrick was when he struggled for his goals, even though it evidently takes more than a year to accomplish what she wants to. Meanwhile, there was no one to push the Ladies figure skating, with the top 3 taking time out and the young jumping bebes threatening but not of age yet. So the almost top talents took the opportunity to step up to grab the prizes offered. Their personal successes came from gaining confidence and consistency so their level of excellence is enough to win medals without the top talents. They did not raise the bar or push anyone beyond any old standard.

    I don't think it is necessary or desirable to tweak the CoP in the attempt to push the Ladies in any specific deriction. Things will change soon enough, with the return of Yuna, Mao and perhaps Joannie, and the uprising of young Japanese, Russian and even American talents, somebody, or maybe her rival as well, will likely push the Ladies forward. I would say the future looks very bright, after this lull. The next Olympic will see a deep field of very talented young Ladies.

  12. #27
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    Sorry for you and Michelle fans...

    Some people do not like me because...
    I'm inflexible like Brian Orser...I cannot be negotiated...
    I'm firm in what I believe...
    Nothing wrong with your beliefs when you say it is your belief or attach the imo prefix to your posts. When you do not, it appears your real reason for posting is to degrade the American fans. It really requires a rationale on a poster's part.

    Having said that, I thought Sasha would have dethroned MK, but Sasha , imo, was a head case, however that is another thread. I had no idea that Orser was inflexible.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I think I will hijack this thread by going with its title instead of its intent.

    Specifically, I want to discuss BoP's views on the trends for Men and Ladies.

    This is the year after the Olympics. The first year of the new quadrennium is treated differently by different athletes. Often some veterans retire and some young talents try to seize the opportunity to step up and get noticed. In between, the current talents still in the game, take different approaches and affect the sport with their actions.

    In Mens, we have a super talent who became super motivated to step up big time regardless of circusmstance, focusing on his personal goals of achievement whatever the rules of incentives, his winning chances, and what his rivals' plans and actions are. Even before his final and ultimate accomplishment of the season, even when he was falling all over during the early process of his road to success, Patrick already changed the game of Mens figure skating. His rivals are pushed and those formally and temporarily retired will have to rethink their plans.

    In Ladies, it's a whole different story. Rochette, like Lysacek and Plushenko of Mens, were not in the game for at least this last year. Of the two dominating rivals, Yuna took a year off from competitions but came back just for Worlds, likely to fulfil her required duty of securing entries for Korea. Mao, the jumping queen, the one with the 3A, decided she needed to dump her old reliable tools and relearn how to jump all over again. She must have seen it as a necessity to up her ante for her continued skating career. It is admirable to me, just as Patrick was when he struggled for his goals, even though it evidently takes more than a year to accomplish what she wants to. Meanwhile, there was no one to push the Ladies figure skating, with the top 3 taking time out and the young jumping bebes threatening but not of age yet. So the almost top talents took the opportunity to step up to grab the prizes offered. Their personal successes came from gaining confidence and consistency so their level of excellence is enough to win medals without the top talents. They did not raise the bar or push anyone beyond any old standard.

    I don't think it is necessary or desirable to tweak the CoP in the attempt to push the Ladies in any specific deriction. Things will change soon enough, with the return of Yuna, Mao and perhaps Joannie, and the uprising of young Japanese, Russian and even American talents, somebody, or maybe her rival as well, will likely push the Ladies forward. I would say the future looks very bright, after this lull. The next Olympic will see a deep field of very talented young Ladies.
    If the trend continues...

    Most likely Sochi Gold Medalist will be Sotnikova of Russia...who is the most consistent skater.
    I hope Yuna, mao or Tuktamisheva wins the gold there.

  14. #29
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I think I will hijack this thread by going with its title instead of its intent....


    I am not nearly as optimistic as you, about either the men's or the ladies' divisions.

    For the men, I think Patrick Chan is one-of-a-kind rather than a "trend." If the trend is, "do everything extremely well and throw in three quads to boot," then others may aspire to join the parade, but I think it is more likely to remain a one-man show. Maybe Hanyu can make it a two-man show while we are waiting for Nathan Chen and Nam Nguyen. )

    As for the ladies, I think the Big Two + Miki + Joannie have peaked. It was fun while it lasted. Maybe the new Russian and Japanese kids on the block will show us something. Maybe not.

  15. #30
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    If the trend continues...

    Most likely Sochi Gold Medalist will be Sotnikova of Russia...who is the most consistent skater.
    I hope Yuna, mao or Tuktamisheva wins the gold there.
    This makes a lot of sense. I think Gachinsky will continue to place in the two remaining Worlds and be a hot ticket in Sochi.
    For the Ladies, Alena did extremely well, and will give Sotnikova a run as well as Macarova.
    Their two sets of dances will begin to creep up next year.
    I'm not sure with their Pairs. Their top team skated like has beens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •