Should Flatt have skated at the World Championships on an injury? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Should Flatt have skated at the World Championships on an injury?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Even with her implosion at worlds last year, Mirai still scored 175.48, which would have placed her 6th behind Alissa this year. :sheesh:
No spiral in the SP, reduced GOE effect, etc... sheesh, and then roll eyes and then laugh.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
No spiral in the SP, reduced GOE effect, etc... sheesh, and then roll eyes and then laugh.

*raspberry* :p

You get what I mean. If you adjusted it accordingly, I still seriously doubt she'd have come in 12th...:rolleye:

skfan

Final Flight
Here is what I wish had happened. The USFSA "pulls" Rachael. Rachael refuses to be pulled and threatens to sue.

Hey, it worked for Tonya Harding.

it's the american way! LOL

not only that, but until the US ladies are consistently strong, even if they get 3 this year, will they retain 3 spots after the next worlds? it's not like it's the olympics next year already.

of course it's good to have had that spot even ONE year, one more US lady has worlds experience on her resume, but i think the US ladies are on really on the border line--even if they scrape by using the 5+6=11 math this year, next year it will be back to 2 again. let's not paint it as though rachael committed some grave injustice against us figure skating--and us figure skating doesn't seem to mind so much because there's been no new developments since phil hersh made his noise, far as i know.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
it's the american way! LOL

not only that, but until the US ladies are consistently strong, even if they get 3 this year, will they retain 3 spots after the next worlds? it's not like it's the olympics next year already.

of course it's good to have had that spot even ONE year, one more US lady has worlds experience on her resume, but i think the US ladies are on really on the border line--even if they scrape by using the 5+6=11 math this year, next year it will be back to 2 again. let's not paint it as though rachael committed some grave injustice against us figure skating--and us figure skating doesn't seem to mind so much because there's been no new developments since phil hersh made his noise, far as i know.

True. Rachael didn't do a grave injustice to US skating... the whole notion of the 3 spots vs 2 spots is a silly arguement since the spots need to be earned. If US Ladies didn't get it done, then tough. And despite being a huge fan, I wouldn't bet the house on MiRai rising to "Save US Skating" she's simply too unpredictable. The real injustice is that Rachael's support team didn't intervene for HER well being. I simply don't understand it...

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Rachael's grave injustice was to herself to be honest.

Reputations are very difficult to come by but super easy to break. She was treading on thin ice (no pun intended) in the first place. I mean her scores had just reached the point where they were actually giving her GOEs on her jumps and decent PCS scores. Her tanking at worlds will hurt her, not only in the USFSA's eyes but her shaky international cred took a hit as well.

Mirai is a bit too erratic to hang your hat on, but if there's one skater in the US who has everything necessary to contend with the likes of Yu-Na, Miki, Mao and the like, it's Mirai. Alissa lacks the speed, power, and technical content, and Rachael lacks the aesthetics and appeal...

Agnes and Christina have a shot, but they'll be paying their dues for a while...

skfan

Final Flight
Rachael's grave injustice was to herself to be honest.

Reputations are very difficult to come by but super easy to break. She was treading on thin ice (no pun intended) in the first place. I mean her scores had just reached the point where they were actually giving her GOEs on her jumps and decent PCS scores. Her tanking at worlds will hurt her, not only in the USFSA's eyes but her shaky international cred took a hit as well.

Mirai is a bit too erratic to hang your hat on, but if there's one skater in the US who has everything necessary to contend with the likes of Yu-Na, Miki, Mao and the like, it's Mirai. Alissa lacks the speed, power, and technical content, and Rachael lacks the aesthetics and appeal...

Agnes and Christina have a shot, but they'll be paying their dues for a while...

did you see all the dues gachinski, world medalist, paid? ^__^

i kid, i kid. it's true about reputation playing a role in scores.

i also think mirai is the us lady with most potential. mirai is for me the most aesthetic to watch as well--for all the praise alissa gets i prefer mirai's camel spins, mirai's spiral, mirai's stretch and mira's smile most especially (what can i say, i'm shallow like that :) mirai though needs more consistency and her layback is less beautiful than ashley wagner's, so all the us ladies have some crowning glory and some warts. i wanted the US to get 3 spots to maximize mirai's chance to MAKE the world team, actually, i just found the words directed to rachael a bit... well, harsh.

anyway, next season is brand new, and if rachael is the fast horse out of the gate and does well on the GP, while mirai is again up and down, i wouldn't bet on the usfsa not giving rachael her usual bouquet at nationals, for all the talk about how this will forever brand her in the usfsa's eyes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Some skaters can fall, pop jumps and still score decently...but they should have known that the international judges are very iffy when it comes to Rachael. Anytime they can help it, they don't put her in first. Case in point: both of her GP assignments this year. At NHK, Carolina, with all of those mistakes and that junior level jump layout, beat her out for gold. Skate America: she loses to a newby, Kanako Murakami, at a "home" event, by 2 points. Being that she's a national champ, Olympian and veteran senior, you'd think the judges would have spotted her those 2 points in PCS or GOEs...nope.

UGH, don't even remind me of that. That was such a crock of you-know-what.

Anyway-

Exactly, but I think there is enough depth to maximize chances of keeping 3 spots if we were to send 3 skaters. As it stands, it's a vicious cycle. At least one member of our team folds, and has been doing so since 2008, the year we lost 3 spots in the first place.

True. Rachael didn't do a grave injustice to US skating... the whole notion of the 3 spots vs 2 spots is a silly arguement since the spots need to be earned. If US Ladies didn't get it done, then tough.

Perhaps "grave injustice" is a tad strong wording (then again, though, it's probably just a blunt way of telling it like it is), but certainly can't turn the blame to Czisny- even if she didn't fall in the FS, she would have been 3rd at best- still not good enough for 3 spots. If Rachel had been clean? Probably would have hung on to 8th. Just would eek out 3 spots.

So, like I said before, one or more members of the team keep failing to deliver, and that's the problem. Until BOTH our team members can skate the way they skated at home, we will continue to have only 2 spots.

skfan

Final Flight
Although, she faces tough competition against Alissa's megawatt-er. :)

aesthetics, my man, entirely subjective. to me there is something about alissa's smile that doesn't feel genuine, that makes me think she is smirking--my theory is alissa isn't actually relaxed, she's nervous, and so the smile doesn't come across as genuine. i know my reaction is not rational, it's not even common, and everyone who's met her swears she is an absolute angel, sweet as can be to her fans. i even believe everybody's account that she is a sweet, wonderful person in real life--i just can't help preferring programs where she doesn't smile as much.

there are some smiles i love, even without straight teeth, and there are some crest-commercial worthy smiles that i just... turn away from. that's all right though, i get all the kicks that you get from alissa's smile when i watch carolina kostner. LOL

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Despite the physical risk she took, what happened to the three women on the podium at Nationals was the best thing for them:

1. Alissa gained confidence by placing fifth at Worlds. She basically has affirmation that she is among the best.
2. Rachael is getting a kick in the pants for finishing 12th not from us, but from her. She's gonna do all she can to get back what she had in 2010--maybe, as another poster put it, she needs to do more, instead of less (ie--attend school, skate, and do other things). she seems to thrive on a full plate.
3. Not going to Worlds is gonna make Mirai want it more.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
aesthetics, my man, entirely subjective. to me there is something about alissa's smile that doesn't feel genuine, that makes me think she is smirking--my theory is alissa isn't actually relaxed, she's nervous, and so the smile doesn't come across as genuine. i know my reaction is not rational, it's not even common, and everyone who's met her swears she is an absolute angel, sweet as can be to her fans. i even believe everybody's account that she is a sweet, wonderful person in real life--i just can't help preferring programs where she doesn't smile as much.

there are some smiles i love, even without straight teeth, and there are some crest-commercial worthy smiles that i just... turn away from. that's all right though, i get all the kicks that you get from alissa's smile when i watch carolina kostner. LOL

Too funny! I have the exact opposite reaction to Alissa's smile. For me its all "Love Me! Please love me!" And while it makes me WANT to love her, I just can't. I just want to hug her and make her a PB & J with the crusts cut off.

I have a pathological need for my athletes to have swagger. I NEED that smirk and that innate confidence to root for them - to fight for the death for them. That demand that we not only love them - but that we have no choice in the matter.

Despite the physical risk she took, what happened to the three women on the podium at Nationals was the best thing for them:

1. Alissa gained confidence by placing fifth at Worlds. She basically has affirmation that she is among the best.
2. Rachael is getting a kick in the pants for finishing 12th not from us, but from her. She's gonna do all she can to get back what she had in 2010--maybe, as another poster put it, she needs to do more, instead of less (ie--attend school, skate, and do other things). she seems to thrive on a full plate.
3. Not going to Worlds is gonna make Mirai want it more.

Blue, on all counts I sincerely hope you are right. I also hope that while attending Stanford, Rachael finds another coach to work with her. She definately has a great base to work with - she just needs to pull it all together. Many skaters have been successful without instictive grace and natural line. There's no reason her technical ability should be ignored simply because she's not "pretty" on ice.

As for MiRai... she's got the complete package. Everything but the mental piece. I am praying its immaturity and not simply lack of will. Time will tell.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Although, she faces tough competition against Alissa's megawatt-er. :)

True. Mirai just has more of the champion look IMO than Alissa does. Alissa is pretty, her smile is nice, but she always looks nervous, and she's so thin and frail looking out there. Mirai, otoh, has a mischevious smile that is adorable, longer lines (I know Alissa is taller or at least looks it, but most of her height is in her torso where Mirai has very long legs and arms), more muscular/stronger looking, and has a bit of a rebel personality that people seem to like. To me its kind of like comparing Yuna and Mao, Yuna the one with more power, pizazz, and sex appeal, and Mao the sweet, shy, and innocent one. To each his own, but I personally like a skater who can grab my attention and really make me watch, and for me that's Mirai more than Alissa, and Yuna more than Mao.

skfan

Final Flight
Too funny! I have the exact opposite reaction to Alissa's smile. For me its all "Love Me! Please love me!" And while it makes me WANT to love her, I just can't. I just want to hug her and make her a PB & J with the crusts cut off.

I have a pathological need for my athletes to have swagger. I NEED that smirk and that innate confidence to root for them - to fight for the death for them. That demand that we not only love them - but that we have no choice in the matter.

Blue, on all counts I sincerely hope you are right. I also hope that while attending Stanford, Rachael finds another coach to work with her. She definately has a great base to work with - she just needs to pull it all together. Many skaters have been successful without instictive grace and natural line. There's no reason her technical ability should be ignored simply because she's not "pretty" on ice.

As for MiRai... she's got the complete package. Everything but the mental piece. I am praying its immaturity and not simply lack of will. Time will tell.

LOL you need the smirk, eh? why do i feel like i'm gonna strap on some pads and bang heads (with the opposing team) after reading your post?

well, i also love mirai. i was gonna say, may our joint hopes for mirai turn out better for mirai than they did for mk, but 5 world championships isn't too shabby. :)

but... because being a fan isn't mutually exclusive with being a nit-picker, i must ask, do you find mirai's layback aesthetically perfect as is? i find the back position and leg turn out as well as foot position not-quite-ideal. i feel since i dared to question the gospel of alissa's perfect smile on this board where mathman is king, (i must be on a roll LOL) that i can also question the perfection of mirai's layback--centered, fast, showing great flexibility, but no where near as beautiful as even ashley wagner's, much less angela nikodinov's.

ETA of course i concede that mk's layback is 500x worse. i nit-pick mk in the _other_ threads :p

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
LOL you need the smirk, eh? why do i feel like i'm gonna strap on some pads and bang heads (with the opposing team) after reading your post?

well, i also love mirai. i was gonna say, may our joint hopes for mirai turn out better for mirai than they did for mk, but 5 world championships isn't too shabby. :)

but... because being a fan isn't mutually exclusive with being a nit-picker, i must ask, do you find mirai's layback aesthetically perfect as is? i find the back position and leg turn out as well as foot position not-quite-ideal. i feel since i dared to question the gospel of alissa's perfect smile on this board where mathman is king, (i must be on a roll LOL) that i can also question the perfection of mirai's layback--centered, fast, showing great flexibility, but no where near as beautiful as even ashley wagner's, much less angela nikodinov's.

Mathman is a benevolent dictator, so no worries on disagreeing with him! :)

For me, I agree with you. MiRai is much more "complete package" than individual elements like Alissa's spins or DivaKawa's Ina. The layback isn't perfect but when she's on - you forgive that and just remember the program. Its a form of genius that all the greats have... Actually, do any of the greats have a perfect layback? Kwan's was shady, Yuna's foot drives me nuts, Irina was just waiting to hit the Beilman, Witt's was not ideal and I couldn't ever decide on Kristie. But it didn't matter because the overall skates were awesome. Before people start screaming at me, I am basing this assessment on who I believe to be a "GREAT" not fan favs... Sasha's was perfect but she's not a GREAT for me...

And NO ONE and let me repeat for those in the backrow - NO ONE - has a layback like Angela Nikodinov. She looks like the iceskater on my childhood music box. Perfection.

R.D.

Record Breaker
to me there is something about alissa's smile that doesn't feel genuine

You're right. Then again, I feel that way about most, if not all, skaters.

But I don't think it's fair to use that to deduce that Czisny has no determination or fight. IMO, it was clear that she did after her fall at Worlds.

Save the smiles and pretty posing for the Gala.

skfan

Final Flight
You're right. Then again, I feel that way about most, if not all, skaters.

But I don't think it's fair to use that to deduce that Czisny has no determination or fight. IMO, it was clear that she did after her fall at Worlds.

Save the smiles and pretty posing for the Gala.

please understand, i infer *nothing* about alissa's character from the smile--i'm just saying, i have a visceral reaction to her smile that i try various ways to 'rationalize.' of course her fighting back, rather than falling apart after the first mistake at this year's worlds long program was admirable and a sign of great things to come (hopefully).

like any rational mirai fan, i root for all the US ladies, because the better they all do, the more world spots and the better mirai's shot of actually making the world team! :) i root for alissa too--one of my favorite programs of the entire season was alissa's short at skate canada (before she put the purple racing stripe on her pristine white dress LOL)

ETA: Kwanford, ITA with everything you said. i still watch angela's programs for the layback spin, even to this day :)

Last edited: