Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 243

Thread: Should Flatt have skated at the World Championships on an injury?

  1. #181
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Even with her implosion at worlds last year, Mirai still scored 175.48, which would have placed her 6th behind Alissa this year. :sheesh:
    No spiral in the SP, reduced GOE effect, etc... sheesh, and then roll eyes and then laugh.

  2. #182
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    No spiral in the SP, reduced GOE effect, etc... sheesh, and then roll eyes and then laugh.
    *raspberry*

    You get what I mean. If you adjusted it accordingly, I still seriously doubt she'd have come in 12th...

  3. #183
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    No spiral in the SP, reduced GOE effect, etc... sheesh, and then roll eyes and then laugh.
    5+6=11= 3 ladies at worlds 2012

  4. #184
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    5+6=11= 3 ladies at worlds 2012
    Hopeless.

  5. #185
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,192
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ...ie. pulling Rachael and sending Mirai,..
    Here is what I wish had happened. The USFSA "pulls" Rachael. Rachael refuses to be pulled and threatens to sue.

    Hey, it worked for Tonya Harding.

  6. #186
    take off the oven mitts
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is what I wish had happened. The USFSA "pulls" Rachael. Rachael refuses to be pulled and threatens to sue.

    Hey, it worked for Tonya Harding.
    it's the american way! LOL

    not only that, but until the US ladies are consistently strong, even if they get 3 this year, will they retain 3 spots after the next worlds? it's not like it's the olympics next year already.

    of course it's good to have had that spot even ONE year, one more US lady has worlds experience on her resume, but i think the US ladies are on really on the border line--even if they scrape by using the 5+6=11 math this year, next year it will be back to 2 again. let's not paint it as though rachael committed some grave injustice against us figure skating--and us figure skating doesn't seem to mind so much because there's been no new developments since phil hersh made his noise, far as i know.
    Last edited by skfan; 05-20-2011 at 03:00 PM.

  7. #187
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    it's the american way! LOL

    not only that, but until the US ladies are consistently strong, even if they get 3 this year, will they retain 3 spots after the next worlds? it's not like it's the olympics next year already.

    of course it's good to have had that spot even ONE year, one more US lady has worlds experience on her resume, but i think the US ladies are on really on the border line--even if they scrape by using the 5+6=11 math this year, next year it will be back to 2 again. let's not paint it as though rachael committed some grave injustice against us figure skating--and us figure skating doesn't seem to mind so much because there's been no new developments since phil hersh made his noise, far as i know.
    True. Rachael didn't do a grave injustice to US skating... the whole notion of the 3 spots vs 2 spots is a silly arguement since the spots need to be earned. If US Ladies didn't get it done, then tough. And despite being a huge fan, I wouldn't bet the house on MiRai rising to "Save US Skating" she's simply too unpredictable. The real injustice is that Rachael's support team didn't intervene for HER well being. I simply don't understand it...

  8. #188
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,456
    Rachael's grave injustice was to herself to be honest.

    Reputations are very difficult to come by but super easy to break. She was treading on thin ice (no pun intended) in the first place. I mean her scores had just reached the point where they were actually giving her GOEs on her jumps and decent PCS scores. Her tanking at worlds will hurt her, not only in the USFSA's eyes but her shaky international cred took a hit as well.

    Mirai is a bit too erratic to hang your hat on, but if there's one skater in the US who has everything necessary to contend with the likes of Yu-Na, Miki, Mao and the like, it's Mirai. Alissa lacks the speed, power, and technical content, and Rachael lacks the aesthetics and appeal...

    Agnes and Christina have a shot, but they'll be paying their dues for a while...

  9. #189
    take off the oven mitts
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Rachael's grave injustice was to herself to be honest.

    Reputations are very difficult to come by but super easy to break. She was treading on thin ice (no pun intended) in the first place. I mean her scores had just reached the point where they were actually giving her GOEs on her jumps and decent PCS scores. Her tanking at worlds will hurt her, not only in the USFSA's eyes but her shaky international cred took a hit as well.

    Mirai is a bit too erratic to hang your hat on, but if there's one skater in the US who has everything necessary to contend with the likes of Yu-Na, Miki, Mao and the like, it's Mirai. Alissa lacks the speed, power, and technical content, and Rachael lacks the aesthetics and appeal...

    Agnes and Christina have a shot, but they'll be paying their dues for a while...

    did you see all the dues gachinski, world medalist, paid? ^__^

    i kid, i kid. it's true about reputation playing a role in scores.

    i also think mirai is the us lady with most potential. mirai is for me the most aesthetic to watch as well--for all the praise alissa gets i prefer mirai's camel spins, mirai's spiral, mirai's stretch and mira's smile most especially (what can i say, i'm shallow like that mirai though needs more consistency and her layback is less beautiful than ashley wagner's, so all the us ladies have some crowning glory and some warts. i wanted the US to get 3 spots to maximize mirai's chance to MAKE the world team, actually, i just found the words directed to rachael a bit... well, harsh.

    anyway, next season is brand new, and if rachael is the fast horse out of the gate and does well on the GP, while mirai is again up and down, i wouldn't bet on the usfsa not giving rachael her usual bouquet at nationals, for all the talk about how this will forever brand her in the usfsa's eyes.

  10. #190
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,538
    Some skaters can fall, pop jumps and still score decently...but they should have known that the international judges are very iffy when it comes to Rachael. Anytime they can help it, they don't put her in first. Case in point: both of her GP assignments this year. At NHK, Carolina, with all of those mistakes and that junior level jump layout, beat her out for gold. Skate America: she loses to a newby, Kanako Murakami, at a "home" event, by 2 points. Being that she's a national champ, Olympian and veteran senior, you'd think the judges would have spotted her those 2 points in PCS or GOEs...nope.
    UGH, don't even remind me of that. That was such a crock of you-know-what.

    Anyway-

    not only that, but until the US ladies are consistently strong, even if they get 3 this year, will they retain 3 spots after the next worlds? it's not like it's the olympics next year already.
    Exactly, but I think there is enough depth to maximize chances of keeping 3 spots if we were to send 3 skaters. As it stands, it's a vicious cycle. At least one member of our team folds, and has been doing so since 2008, the year we lost 3 spots in the first place.

    True. Rachael didn't do a grave injustice to US skating... the whole notion of the 3 spots vs 2 spots is a silly arguement since the spots need to be earned. If US Ladies didn't get it done, then tough.
    Perhaps "grave injustice" is a tad strong wording (then again, though, it's probably just a blunt way of telling it like it is), but certainly can't turn the blame to Czisny- even if she didn't fall in the FS, she would have been 3rd at best- still not good enough for 3 spots. If Rachel had been clean? Probably would have hung on to 8th. Just would eek out 3 spots.

    So, like I said before, one or more members of the team keep failing to deliver, and that's the problem. Until BOTH our team members can skate the way they skated at home, we will continue to have only 2 spots.

  11. #191
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,192
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan
    Mirai's smile most especially (what can i say, i'm shallow like that
    Although, she faces tough competition against Alissa's megawatt-er.

  12. #192
    take off the oven mitts
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Although, she faces tough competition against Alissa's megawatt-er.
    aesthetics, my man, entirely subjective. to me there is something about alissa's smile that doesn't feel genuine, that makes me think she is smirking--my theory is alissa isn't actually relaxed, she's nervous, and so the smile doesn't come across as genuine. i know my reaction is not rational, it's not even common, and everyone who's met her swears she is an absolute angel, sweet as can be to her fans. i even believe everybody's account that she is a sweet, wonderful person in real life--i just can't help preferring programs where she doesn't smile as much.

    there are some smiles i love, even without straight teeth, and there are some crest-commercial worthy smiles that i just... turn away from. that's all right though, i get all the kicks that you get from alissa's smile when i watch carolina kostner. LOL
    Last edited by skfan; 05-20-2011 at 05:00 PM.

  13. #193
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,092
    Despite the physical risk she took, what happened to the three women on the podium at Nationals was the best thing for them:

    1. Alissa gained confidence by placing fifth at Worlds. She basically has affirmation that she is among the best.
    2. Rachael is getting a kick in the pants for finishing 12th not from us, but from her. She's gonna do all she can to get back what she had in 2010--maybe, as another poster put it, she needs to do more, instead of less (ie--attend school, skate, and do other things). she seems to thrive on a full plate.
    3. Not going to Worlds is gonna make Mirai want it more.

  14. #194
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,192
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    aesthetics, my man, entirely subjective. to me there is something about alissa's smile...
    Aissa is the only skater that can keep smiling in mid-jump.

    http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0...-USA-fr006.JPG

  15. #195
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    aesthetics, my man, entirely subjective. to me there is something about alissa's smile that doesn't feel genuine, that makes me think she is smirking--my theory is alissa isn't actually relaxed, she's nervous, and so the smile doesn't come across as genuine. i know my reaction is not rational, it's not even common, and everyone who's met her swears she is an absolute angel, sweet as can be to her fans. i even believe everybody's account that she is a sweet, wonderful person in real life--i just can't help preferring programs where she doesn't smile as much.

    there are some smiles i love, even without straight teeth, and there are some crest-commercial worthy smiles that i just... turn away from. that's all right though, i get all the kicks that you get from alissa's smile when i watch carolina kostner. LOL
    Too funny! I have the exact opposite reaction to Alissa's smile. For me its all "Love Me! Please love me!" And while it makes me WANT to love her, I just can't. I just want to hug her and make her a PB & J with the crusts cut off.

    I have a pathological need for my athletes to have swagger. I NEED that smirk and that innate confidence to root for them - to fight for the death for them. That demand that we not only love them - but that we have no choice in the matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Despite the physical risk she took, what happened to the three women on the podium at Nationals was the best thing for them:

    1. Alissa gained confidence by placing fifth at Worlds. She basically has affirmation that she is among the best.
    2. Rachael is getting a kick in the pants for finishing 12th not from us, but from her. She's gonna do all she can to get back what she had in 2010--maybe, as another poster put it, she needs to do more, instead of less (ie--attend school, skate, and do other things). she seems to thrive on a full plate.
    3. Not going to Worlds is gonna make Mirai want it more.
    Blue, on all counts I sincerely hope you are right. I also hope that while attending Stanford, Rachael finds another coach to work with her. She definately has a great base to work with - she just needs to pull it all together. Many skaters have been successful without instictive grace and natural line. There's no reason her technical ability should be ignored simply because she's not "pretty" on ice.

    As for MiRai... she's got the complete package. Everything but the mental piece. I am praying its immaturity and not simply lack of will. Time will tell.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •