Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Should Flatt have skated at the World Championships on an injury?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Although, she faces tough competition against Alissa's megawatt-er.
    True. Mirai just has more of the champion look IMO than Alissa does. Alissa is pretty, her smile is nice, but she always looks nervous, and she's so thin and frail looking out there. Mirai, otoh, has a mischevious smile that is adorable, longer lines (I know Alissa is taller or at least looks it, but most of her height is in her torso where Mirai has very long legs and arms), more muscular/stronger looking, and has a bit of a rebel personality that people seem to like. To me its kind of like comparing Yuna and Mao, Yuna the one with more power, pizazz, and sex appeal, and Mao the sweet, shy, and innocent one. To each his own, but I personally like a skater who can grab my attention and really make me watch, and for me that's Mirai more than Alissa, and Yuna more than Mao.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Too funny! I have the exact opposite reaction to Alissa's smile. For me its all "Love Me! Please love me!" And while it makes me WANT to love her, I just can't. I just want to hug her and make her a PB & J with the crusts cut off.

I have a pathological need for my athletes to have swagger. I NEED that smirk and that innate confidence to root for them - to fight for the death for them. That demand that we not only love them - but that we have no choice in the matter.

Blue, on all counts I sincerely hope you are right. I also hope that while attending Stanford, Rachael finds another coach to work with her. She definately has a great base to work with - she just needs to pull it all together. Many skaters have been successful without instictive grace and natural line. There's no reason her technical ability should be ignored simply because she's not "pretty" on ice.

As for MiRai... she's got the complete package. Everything but the mental piece. I am praying its immaturity and not simply lack of will. Time will tell.
    LOL you need the smirk, eh? why do i feel like i'm gonna strap on some pads and bang heads (with the opposing team) after reading your post?

well, i also love mirai. i was gonna say, may our joint hopes for mirai turn out better for mirai than they did for mk, but 5 world championships isn't too shabby.

but... because being a fan isn't mutually exclusive with being a nit-picker, i must ask, do you find mirai's layback aesthetically perfect as is? i find the back position and leg turn out as well as foot position not-quite-ideal. i feel since i dared to question the gospel of alissa's perfect smile on this board where mathman is king, (i must be on a roll LOL) that i can also question the perfection of mirai's layback--centered, fast, showing great flexibility, but no where near as beautiful as even ashley wagner's, much less angela nikodinov's.

ETA of course i concede that mk's layback is 500x worse. i nit-pick mk in the _other_ threads
    Last edited by skfan; 05-20-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    LOL you need the smirk, eh? why do i feel like i'm gonna strap on some pads and bang heads (with the opposing team) after reading your post?

well, i also love mirai. i was gonna say, may our joint hopes for mirai turn out better for mirai than they did for mk, but 5 world championships isn't too shabby.

but... because being a fan isn't mutually exclusive with being a nit-picker, i must ask, do you find mirai's layback aesthetically perfect as is? i find the back position and leg turn out as well as foot position not-quite-ideal. i feel since i dared to question the gospel of alissa's perfect smile on this board where mathman is king, (i must be on a roll LOL) that i can also question the perfection of mirai's layback--centered, fast, showing great flexibility, but no where near as beautiful as even ashley wagner's, much less angela nikodinov's.
    Mathman is a benevolent dictator, so no worries on disagreeing with him! :-)

For me, I agree with you. MiRai is much more "complete package" than individual elements like Alissa's spins or DivaKawa's Ina. The layback isn't perfect but when she's on - you forgive that and just remember the program. Its a form of genius that all the greats have... Actually, do any of the greats have a perfect layback? Kwan's was shady, Yuna's foot drives me nuts, Irina was just waiting to hit the Beilman, Witt's was not ideal and I couldn't ever decide on Kristie. But it didn't matter because the overall skates were awesome. Before people start screaming at me, I am basing this assessment on who I believe to be a "GREAT" not fan favs... Sasha's was perfect but she's not a GREAT for me...

And NO ONE and let me repeat for those in the backrow - NO ONE - has a layback like Angela Nikodinov. She looks like the iceskater on my childhood music box. Perfection.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    to me there is something about alissa's smile that doesn't feel genuine
    You're right. Then again, I feel that way about most, if not all, skaters.

But I don't think it's fair to use that to deduce that Czisny has no determination or fight. IMO, it was clear that she did after her fall at Worlds.

Save the smiles and pretty posing for the Gala.

take off the oven mitts
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    You're right. Then again, I feel that way about most, if not all, skaters.

But I don't think it's fair to use that to deduce that Czisny has no determination or fight. IMO, it was clear that she did after her fall at Worlds.

Save the smiles and pretty posing for the Gala.
    please understand, i infer *nothing* about alissa's character from the smile--i'm just saying, i have a visceral reaction to her smile that i try various ways to 'rationalize.' of course her fighting back, rather than falling apart after the first mistake at this year's worlds long program was admirable and a sign of great things to come (hopefully).

like any rational mirai fan, i root for all the US ladies, because the better they all do, the more world spots and the better mirai's shot of actually making the world team! i root for alissa too--one of my favorite programs of the entire season was alissa's short at skate canada (before she put the purple racing stripe on her pristine white dress LOL)

ETA: Kwanford, ITA with everything you said. i still watch angela's programs for the layback spin, even to this day
    Last edited by skfan; 05-20-2011 at 07:06 PM.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Alissa's smile during her skates is a bit plastered on but her smile at the end of a performance that she nails is irresistible.

I love Mirai's expressions when she skates. She manages to be fierce, coy and joyful at the same time. The only criticism I have is that she sometimes still fades in an out ever so slightly. One minute she's out there performing full on charming the pants off the audience and the next minute her expression gets a bit flat and mechanical - then she hitches on the charm again. But that's nothing really. It's the sort of thing that will improve naturally as the years go by.

On the other hand, only one skater has had her smile featured as the centerpiece of a national ad campaign:

http://www.lifeskate.com/photos/unca...el_flatt_2.jpg

How many base points are there for a smile? Skaters, particularly the Ladies are more concerned about their looks than the Men. Who cares if you are going for the points? (It is a contest.) How much closer should the Senior Ladies get to the smiles of the uninhibited little tykes in the Children's Pagaents or the serious smiles of the Ladies in Ms Universe?

Is Ladies Figure Skating to be how pagaents are judged? No wonder the men of sports shy away from it. it's not like Evert v. Natrilova.

^
    From my experience men who watch ladies FS love ‪Maria Butyrskaya‬. Did she ever smile on the ice…? or in k&c?

except at the end of this golden performance

On the other hand, only one skater has had her smile featured as the centerpiece of a national ad campaign:

http://www.lifeskate.com/photos/unca...el_flatt_2.jpg
    Please don't tell a lie m.
    I saw no such ad run as a Natl TV campaign. I did see several US skaters included in a somewhat lame ATT ad but that was mostly on the internet. Maybe I missed the Natl TV exposure of the ad you are referring to

AFAIK, Flatt's biggest sponsor was the Potato growers of Colorado.
    As if I would ever eat a Colorado potato

Mirai had a decent sponsorship deal with Panasonic who made it possible for her parents to see her skate in Vancouver. Evan was on sixpacks of Coca-Cola along with other USA Olympians.

NBC ran a few Natl promos last year featuring Sasha but did not really feature defending WC Evan, or D/W, B/A and most definitely not Flatt.

I don't think any US skater ever came close to Dorothy when it came to Natl ad campaigns.

She probably did more than all of them combined.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    ^
    From my experience men who watch ladies FS love ‪Maria Butyrskaya‬. Did she ever smile on the ice…? or in k&c?

except at the end of this golden performance
    Maris was a Woman on the ice. That attracts men! Only the sheepish type of males like the cutesy wootsie ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernado
    I saw no such ad run as a Natl TV campaign.
    Rachael was the national spokesperson for the American Association of Orthodontists. She was featured in a campaign called "Band Together" that encouraged children and teenagers to get special red, white and blue braces to show support for the U.S. Olympic team.

Many a pediatric orthodontist's office featured a poster of Rachael flashing her silver smile.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Alissa should get a deal with Colgate or someother toothpaste company. I would buy it.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Michelle had an insane amount of endorsements and ads; everything from Chevy and Coca-Cola, to Visa and Disney (check out the list). Of course that was during the Golden Age of skating when it was smart and beneficial to use a skater as a marketing piece. That's just not the case in the US anymore. I remember reading something about Rachael's parents being upset that she didn't receive more offers for endorsements or whatever after she won nationals last year. It's just the scope of the land--no one cares about skating anymore.

Rachael was the national spokesperson for the American Association of Orthodontists. She was featured in a campaign called "Band Together" that encouraged children and teenagers to get special red, white and blue braces to show support for the U.S. Olympic team.

Many a pediatric orthodontist's office featured a poster of Rachael flashing her silver smile.
    Thankyou for setting the record straight. Last I read Flatt's mother was bitching about how much money they spent (not for her braces but for her skating and even though her daughter was the Natl champion they couldn't get a decent endore$ment deal)

Mrs Flatt must have been absent the day they taught "it factor" at her college.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast