Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Should Flatt have skated at the World Championships on an injury?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Flatt has always been held up at Nationals and everyone knows it. I mean c'mon even if Mirai didn't deserve to win in 2010 because of her underotated jumps Rachael beat her by 12 points!! Are you kidding me? Did any of the judges actually watch the two of them skate back to back? Racheal was over 200 points which was in Yuna territory at the time. It was a disgrace.
    Exactly. Flat has ALWAYS been overscored at Nationals. In 2008 she beat Wagner who skated the performances of her life with a triple lutz-triple loop in both programs which was a joke (Wagner should have been the champion that year with Nagasu's LP problems). In 2009 she should have been below Zhang who in fact matched her jumps that year and far exceeded her in other areas, along with that Flatt's basic skating was almost as poor back then. In 2010 Nagasu probably should have won or atleast been alot closer to Flatt, and Wagner should have been up with Flatt in the LP. 130+ LP for Flatt, give me a break. And this year she was given a huge gift again.

I always said putting Flatt on the World team over Nagasu was an incredibly stupid move and the USFSA is helping to dig their own grave in the ladies event with their continued oversupport of Flatt. I was proven right, her 12th place finish at Worlds is no surprise to me, I always said 9th-13th would be where she would finish and the U.S were unlikely to keep 3 spots with her unless Czisny had an incredible event.

Anyway I am pretty sure Flatt's incredibly poor judgement to skate at Worlds injured (not that I think she would have done much better healthy anyway) has probably ended the USFSA Flatt lovefest that has been going on for years. I would be very surprised if she makes the World team next season, if she even tries which more likely she will wisely go to college full time and see it is time to move on.
    Last edited by pangtongfan; 05-22-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Anyway I am pretty sure Flatt's incredibly poor judgement to skate at Worlds injured (not that I think she would have done much better healthy anyway) has probably ended the USFSA Flatt lovefest that has been going on for years. I would be very surprised if she makes the World team next season, if she even tries which more likely she will wisely go to college full time and see it is time to move on.
    She did score 180+ at 4CC and finished ahead of Czisny, Phanuef, and Suzuki at that event though. That score at Worlds would have put her comfortably in 6th and close to 4th and 5th place. So she could have done better healthy. Not medal better, but considerably better than 12th.

Banned
    Flatt has not skated as well as she did at Four Continents in any other event this season, so who is to presume she was likely to skate that well. She isnt even that consistent a skater anymore, so her skating her best is more the exception rather than the rule now, just like it is for most other skaters. Anyway many felt the scores at 4CCs in the ladies event were inflated. Asada had about 4 mistakes and still scored a 135 or something.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    The "earning" part is controversial and questionable though. I think her FS score being 8 points higher than Mirai's at nationals was not right. After she skated, I thought it would be close but that Mirai would come out on top, but it ended up that Rachael came out on top, and it wasn't even that close so...idk. Placing ahead of Mirai at nationals would have been acceptable, but the margin should have been like 1 point, not 7, and then when Mirai beat Rachael by 9 points at 4CC, she should have been given the nod to go to Worlds instead, especially considering Rachael was clearly fighting an injury at 4CC.
    People have pointed out many many times that Rachael's mistakes were on easier jumps, and she backloaded most of her jumps.
    Mirai's mistakes were on the money jumps.

Not all mistakes are equal. Are you really that slow to not grasp this simple fact?

Custom Title
    Flatt has not skated as well as she did at Four Continents in any other event this season, so who is to presume she was likely to skate that well. She isnt even that consistent a skater anymore, so her skating her best is more the exception rather than the rule now, just like it is for most other skaters. Anyway many felt the scores at 4CCs in the ladies event were inflated. Asada had about 4 mistakes and still scored a 135 or something.
    Mirai has not skated as well as she did at 4CC in any other event this season, so? So she didn't get to go to Worlds. Suck on that, Mirai's fans.

Custom Title
    While I dislike Flattfan's tone, I tend to agree here. Hating on Flatt has become a past-time, it seems.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Mirai has not skated as well as she did at 4CC in any other event this season, so? So she didn't get to go to Worlds. Suck on that, Mirai's fans.
    I am not a Mirai fan so your comment already becomes ridiculous. As someone who is a fan of neither Flatt and Nagasu I always knew that putting Flatt on the team instead of Nagasu when they basically skated virtually the same at Nationals was dumb as a team with Flatt on it was never going to regain 3 spots. Obviously being a Flatt fan you wont admit to things like her constant overscoring at Nationals which even NBC and many journalists have pointed out frequently so no point discussing further.

Custom Title
    I am not a Mirai fan so your comment already becomes ridiculous. As someone who is a fan of neither Flatt and Nagasu I always knew that putting Flatt on the team instead of Nagasu when they basically skated virtually the same at Nationals was dumb as a team with Flatt on it was never going to regain 3 spots. Obviously being a Flatt fan you wont admit to things like her constant overscoring at Nationals which even NBC and many journalists have pointed out frequently so no point discussing further.
    Since when does Miss Cleo follow figure skating?
    Who are the journalists? Talking heads != journalists.

Custom Title
    Rachael is never going to medal at big international events and everyone knows it. Even her best isn't enough. And without her trademark consistency she's done. Next time Rachael when your injured don't try to tough it out it will only end in disaster as we've seen twice now.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Next time Rachael when [you're] injured don't try to tough it out it will only end in disaster as we've seen twice now.
    Her team really needs to start looking out for her long-term health as opposed to "toughing it out". I mean, it also depends on the injury- some injuries aren't as severe and one can PROBABLY grin and bear it if it's for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and doesn't affect performance- but this one seemed pretty bad. She was lucky nothing more serious happened IMO.

Banned
    Maybe she knows she is done after this year, either retiring or that her gravy train period with the USFSA that nearly all of us have noted upon is finally over (in which case her stint on the World team now that her skating and consistency have further declined is also for sure over, especialy with the U.S with her in tow continuing their 2 only spots status). So maybe she just wanted to skate at one final big event.

Custom Title
    If next year's Worlds podium had Ando and Flatt on it, I wonder what ptf would do?

Banned
    What would be the point of doing anything. The ISU would wisely cancel the ladies event altogether for the next 5 years after the lowly attendance of 8 people in the stands for the ladies event at Worlds if things ever reach that point.

Custom Title
    Heh. Out of curiosity, who would be the third person on that podium to make it your worst nightmare?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Heh. Out of curiosity, who would be the third person on that podium to make it your worst nightmare?
    Mira Leung is retired so I guess I would pick Leonova.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast