Miki Ando Vs. Leonova Alena | Golden Skate

Miki Ando Vs. Leonova Alena

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Although my hat is off to Miki Ando for taking the gold medal and becoming world champion for a second time, I can't help but mention how much I enjoyed watching Leonova Alena of Russia skate such a joyful program. Miki has never really inspired me. She is a hard worker. This was the best I have ever seen her perform, and she has improved in many areas, but she does not really connect with her music. I thought Leonova skated with such joy and flare. She will be the one to watch next season.

Neda

Rinkside
I can add that Alena skated despite of illness and high temperature. I feared so much that she may catch inflammation of the lungs.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hmm, I guess I'll repost my thoughts about Alena from the other thread...she is a refreshing skater at times. She adds character to her music. However, she was behind the music for most of the LP at Worlds and that detracts from the character significantly. Look at her performance of the program at Russian Nationals and you can see how much less effective this one was. Given how she was behind her music at Worlds, the highlight of the first part of the program - the devilishly playful cackle that she acts out with the music - became shortened and mistimed. She continued to be behind the music for the rest of the program and she was still skating when the music ended.

Her program was already not great in terms of Skating Skills/Transitions. When the strength of the program (outside of the jumps) then falters, there isn't much left. If she gave her Russian Nationals performance (which was also stronger technically) at Worlds then I might have put her 1st in the LP, but she didn't.

This is my ranking of the Ladies competition at Worlds:

01. Yu-Na Kim (2nd SP, 2nd LP)
02. Carolina Kostner (7th SP, 1st LP)
03. Alissa Czisny (4th SP, 3rd LP)
04. Miki Ando (1st SP, 4th LP)
05. Alena Leonova (5th SP, 5th LP)
06. Kanako Murakami (6th SP, 6th LP)
07. Mao Asada (8th SP, 7th LP)
08. Ksenia Makarova (3rd SP, 8th LP)

It was so nice to watch Alena's character skate instead of all that faux ballet-like LPs. There are many forms of Dance beside ballet-like. Lambiel championed Spanish, for example.

I chose Miki as the winner because she was the most competitive and Silver to Alena for being refreshing; and Caro with Bronze for hanging in their with everyone's style.

Mao and Kim were not at their best and it showed, imo. That doesn't mean they will not be at the next Worlds.

When does Sotnikova become age-eligible?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I felt the result should have been

1. Ando
2. Czisny
3. Kostner
4. Kim

Leonova was overscored in PCS, in the same way as Gachinski.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Even though this news is not directly related to the purpose of this thread it's still kind of about the same in an unexpected way: Alena Leonova is switching coaches and is going to train with Morozov :biggrin:

A match made in heaven and I look forward to seeing Russian tackiness taken to a whole new level. ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
^Oh NO

Sodnikova can do the gp this season and euros and worlds from 2012-2013 season. Pissev said both her and Elisaveta will do the seniors gP next season.

^^^^^
She'll wipe the competition off the GP Final. She is incredible and at such a young age. Musical, Flexible, Character. What else does she need?

kensal

Rinkside
Again, the erson who started this thread must be an insider or psychic now that we are informed that Mika Ando is switching to compete for Russia. I would like to see this rivalry.:)

mousepotato

On the Ice
Again, the erson who started this thread must be an insider or psychic now that we are informed that Mika Ando is switching to compete for Russia. I would like to see this rivalry.:)

I doubt that will happen, she would have to be insane to take 2 years of competition off. If it's true, her career is over.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm going to wait and pass judgement on here after she hits puberty. Once her body changes she may not a little wonder anymore.

Of course you can wait to pass judgement.

Hernando knows a winner when he sees one.
Adelina will win the OGM in Sochi and I don't think she will have much competition either.