Heart Breaks Of Worlds 2011 | Golden Skate

Heart Breaks Of Worlds 2011

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nobunari Oda - Another drama at Worlds and another medal slipped through his fingers after another excellent skate. He wasn't even on the ice at the gala to perform or to represent Japan like his teammates did.

Nathalie & Fabian - Most unexpected and unfortunate fall during their wonderful Free Dance on their way to a Worlds medal. Extra two months of practising in the rink and the Evil Special Ice did them in at the crucial moment.

Adrian Shultheiss - Another disastrous skate after a year of hard working lonely depressed existense. Didn't even make it to Mens LP. I wanted to cry with him. What is the poor boy gonna do now?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Mao Asada: heartbreaking to see her so slim and lifeless. Remember her 4 years ago, she was so full of life and her smile was the sweetest thing ever. I don't know what's coming next season for her, but I want to see her more happy. She was clearly affected by the earthquake at this worlds and it was sad to see her so depressed
Brian Joubert: worst finish since 2002 even though he skated pretty well in the LP.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, all of these mentioned so far. I think the worst was Pechalat/Bourzat for me. I also feel bad for Rachael Flatt and Alissa Csizny, because I think both of them and their fans expected more here. Alexander Majorov too, because he really tanked that short program and along with Schultheiss lost Sweden all but one spot. Oh yeah, and I can't forget about the other two Canadian guys (besides Chan), Reynolds and Russell, having back to back meltdowns in the LP. I feel bad for Ryan Bradley too; although it was probably too much to expect to contend for a medal, he could have skated better and he seemed nervous, not his usual cheery self.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Heartbreak-Dai's boot problem. P/B 7th Worlds and finally in contention for a medal and then the fall,
and Mao who looked like a shadow of her former self.

A few disappointments but I won't list them because it is sport.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Virtue and Moir just narrowly missing the gold. Drats...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dai's boot killing his chances... still think he should have gotten a wash/do over for that one... it was right at the beginning!

not so much a heartache as a headache was Oda... someone get the boy some counting lessons!

Krislite

Medalist
Yes. Dai's boot malfunction was definitely a heart-braking moment. He was so looking forward to ending the season on a high note, sticking around this year since Worlds was supposed to be in Tokyo. Although Patrick killed Dai's chances at gold, he still could have podiumed anyways. But then that boot...

And I forgot to mention, Rachael Flatt. She looked like she was in such pain during the LP, I felt really bad for her, especially since this could be her last Worlds.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I chose the heart breaks based not just on disappointments or sadness at the moments but also on the great impact they must have on the skaters whose futures may be determined by what happened. These are cases where there might be permenant discouragement for a goal never achieved. Dai and Mao have proven themselves and have had great achievements. The disappointments at this Worlds are just bumps on their successful careers. They can choose to continue with much admiration and support from many people. If they choose to retire, they will do so with great honour and memorable accomplishments on the record book.

The one I feel worst for is the least known Shultheiss because of what he has been going through. He is very young, very lonely, without much support for his training and competing. He has been depressed and considering quiting. When he bombed his skate and looked so downcast at K&C, I remembered reading about one of his earliest competition experiences when he was shocked by how he underperformed so badly he cried in the locker room. He is not that boy now but still very young and vulnerable with no great support system.

P/B's fall and missing that medal was obviously heartbreaking as a goal they devoted so much of themselves to and yet so elusive. I don't know if they would continue to compete, but with or without Worlds medals, they are well loved and respected and have fans who would want to see them in shows.

Oda. Oda is Oda. Probably the most exasperated and exasperating of all skaters. However, he does have considerable achievements and I hope he will continue his quest for a very well deserve Worlds medal.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ref: Rachael Flatt and Alissa Csizny. Sure I would have liked to see AC get bronze, but as Scott Hamilton say, 'It doesnt matter that you fall, only that you get up...and she got up like the true champion she is.
I do feel bad for RF. She must have had a terrible choice to make the Friday before competition when she found out she had a stress fracture of the tibia. Do I go or do I hope Nagasu can do better than I could?
Now she has to live with her choice. Since she still wants to compete, and we only have two spots on the next World team, It will be interesting to see who gets cut after Nats. next season.

Although he didn't skate his best; with 2 different clean quads, I would have liked to have seen Michal with the bronze. Next Worlds. For some reason no skater comes to mind who has won Gold in consecutive Worlds? Who did I not think of?

bibi24

Final Flight
Michal's quad Salchow was really impressive, way better looking than Plushy's, monstrous height much like his 3A. As he does it more in competitions I'd imagine him getting much better GOE's. Real bummer for him as he was so close last year also.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Although he didn't skate his best; with 2 different clean quads, I would have liked to have seen Michal with the bronze. Next Worlds. For some reason no skater comes to mind who has won Gold in consecutive Worlds? Who did I not think of?

Lambiel (05, 06), Plushenko (03, 04), Yagudin (1998, 99, 2000), Stoijko (1994, 95), Browning (1989, 90, 91), Scott Hamilton (1981-84).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Michal's quad Salchow was really impressive, way better looking than Plushy's, monstrous height much like his 3A. As he does it more in competitions I'd imagine him getting much better GOE's. Real bummer for him as he was so close last year also.

As Neda reported in Mens LP thread, Brezina's techniques need to improve so he would not be worn out before the program is over. This is a bad season for him with an injury. His fitness should improve.