Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

Custom Title

Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

So whe championship we feared will never take place finally went on its way and left us with tons of thing to remember, what were your fave and not so fave things about this Worlds?? These are mine..

Best Lights Out Perfromance:
    Takahiko Kozuka LP. It's like after Nobu was beaten by Maths and Taka screwed by his boot screws (), Kozu decided to fight for the honour of JPN team and performed like the real champion we always knew he was.

Worst Meltdown:
    Thankfullly there wasnt a real meltdown at the top. But I'll go with Kavaguti & Smirnov. They made lots of mistakes which solidify the change of guard in favor of V&T.

Most Underscored:
    Javier Fernandez!! Solid SP and an amazing LP with two quads and lots of charisma yet his PCS are still a joke

Most Overscored:
    Technically it should be P. Chan but he was so above the rest of the field that it doesnt matter, so I'll choose a case where the actual placement wasnt deserved: Kiira Korpi, she bombed so badly that she shouln't be on the top 10.

Happiest Moment:
    Alena Leonova!! Damn that girl totally enjoyed every second of competing at Home Worlds. So great to see her with that fire on her. Honorable mention to Tatiana and Maxim making a huge splash and finally smiling.

Saddest Moment:
    Pechalat & Bourzat's Kiss & Cry after the FD. Nuff said..

Most Awesome Moment:
    Watching V&M and Yuna's programs for the first time. They were sooo brilliant that I really hate we only could see them once during the whole season.

Most What the... Moment:
    Amodio with the help of Fergie making a precedent for the revolution of vocals in single skating.

Soo please tell me yourss..

Custom Title
    My memorables

- The wrong screw came off for Daisuke.

- The looks his coaches gave each other when Nobu screwed himself once again on ice.

- Two Olympic Champions debuted and ended their season with Silver medals. One team was very happy and the other O Champ weeped on the podium and lost her smile at the gala.

Highlights - Taka's silver medal, the whole ice dance podium, Miki's win, Alena's joy/spark,

Nightmares - the fall in Pechelat & Bourzat's free dance, what happened to Nobu (please count your jumps!) & Daisuke

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    - Two Olympic Champions debuted and ended their season with Silver medals. One team was very happy and the other O Champ weeped on the podium and lost her smile at the gala.
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...82b98fc970d-pi

For a moment, I thought she was going to pull off a Surya Bonaly on the podium...

Custom Title
    My biggest nightmare was P/B's FD. Oh God, why did they fall??? They had a great chance for their first Worlds medal and who knows if they will ever have it again, but they gave it away. And also D/W beating V/M, I was soooo afraid of it to happen! I like V/M very much and don't like D/W at all, so I won't comment the judging because I'm biased, but I was dissapointed by the result. Also Russian ice dance teams perfomances, but I think it's all for better, they know their weaknesses now and next year it will be better. Also Mao... to see her like this is just heartbreaking... She looked like a shadow of herself and I even agree with her low PCS for that skate... Almost every jump looked UR and I'm surprised she got a full credit for her flip in the long... I still have a hope though and wish her all the best, next season should be better.

The best were first two days. All three medalists in men skated their best and were just great! And all three did quads. Although I feel sorry for Takahashi and Oda I'm happy with the podium!
    Also pairs event. S/S and V/T especially, that was amazing! I expect a great rivalry between them the next year and I'm sure it will be very exciting to watch.

I was also happy to see Caro doing so well in the LP and of course Alena's perfomance was great! And Miki, well deserved gold! Usually I prefer Yuna to other ladies, but this time she skated without spark and made mistakes and her new programs didn't really impress me. I think it's all because of her injury and hope to see her and Mao coming back strong the next season.

And I have to add, it was nice to see Irina Slutskaya and hear her commentaries, she looks so young and is very cute!

Custom Title
    Highlights

1. The pairs competition: Radford showing his guts, Pang/Tong demonstrating why we shouldn't write them off, Tatiana and Max rising to the occasion, Aliona and Robin giving the best performance of their career.

2. Miki Ando's short program.

3. Virtue/Moir's sizzle and spark.

4. Patrick Chan's dominating victory that no one disagreed with. Takahiko Kozuka finally earning those marks.

5. That the season is over. Seriously, that was a long season.

Lowlights

1. Shibutanis on the podium with the attendant accusations of Shpilband/Zoueva manipulating the judges/judging.

2. Speedy mocking the Japanese contingent/Daisuke's mishap.

3. P/B falling in the FD (as they pointed out, an eight point loss).

4. Crone/Poirier falling to the bottom of North American ice dancing.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Disappointments:
    -Crushed that Daisuke had such a rough skate but his good attitude about it made me feel better.
    -Frustrated that Oda still can't count.
    -Sad that Mao struggled so much and finished off the podium.
    -Bittersweet that Alissa had her best worlds over but barely missed the podium--
    -Heart really goes out to Rachael. What a total bummer for her. Also, darn about the third spot.

Highlights:
    -Happy Alissa had her best worlds yet and she had a gorgeous smile at the end of the her LP (this one goes into both categories )
    -Loved Yuna's Arirang even with the mistakes and it doesn't matter to me at all that she didn't win gold.
    -Thought Caro had a splendid LP. I'll be rooting for her next year.
    -Great to see Alena prove the naysayers wrong and have a good worlds in her home country. She's not my favorite but I was one of those who couldn't help but like her quirky witch program this year.
    -Thrilled that Patrick didn't fall and ran away with the gold medal. It drives some people crazy. Nyah, nyah.
    -Delighted to see Kozuka have such a wonderful skate and step to the plate after the other two Japanese men struggled and it seemed like the unthinkable would happen: no medal for the Japanese men.
    -Pretty much the whole Ice Dance competition. The podium was marvelous and the medalists had such amazing skates. V/M came back strong. First World gold for the Americans and plus a bronze for a the delightful Shibutanis. Hurray!!
    Last edited by Layfan; 05-01-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Custom Title
    Highlights

Patrick Chan smashed three records on his way to his first World Champion title. Like he had said, go big or go home.

Takahiko Kozuka finally broke through his shell to shine at a Big Event. May the medal be the first of many.

Tessa and Scott steamed up my computer and then TV with their new FD. Smoking smoldering hot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    -Pretty much the whole Ice Dance competition. The podium was marvelous and the medalists had such amazing skates. V/M came back strong. First Olympic gold for the Americans and plus a bronze for a the delightful Shibutanis. Hurray!!
    LOL, we are in Moscow, not Sochi yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    2. Speedy mocking the Japanese contingent/Daisuke's mishap.
    He did? What did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    LOL, we are in Moscow, not Sochi yet.
    Oops! I'll fix that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...82b98fc970d-pi

For a moment, I thought she was going to pull off a Surya Bonaly on the podium...
    Not surprised to see such a comment from you, because you deliberately choose to misunderstand her. Yes, she was sad on the podium, but not out of a Surya Bonaly-like bitterness at the judges. Laura Lepisto spontaneously started crying when she was on the podium last year, but there was nothing Surya Bonaly about that or Yu-na's reaction.

Yu-Na's expression after she saw she was in 2nd in the Kiss & Cry. http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...unakisscry.png

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    He did? What did he say?
    When the screw came off Dai's skate and he rushed over to get it fixed, the camera focused on Speedy and Scott Hamilton, with Speedy clearly mocking the Japanese by demonstrating them screwing the heel back on (with appropriate gestures) and a big grin on his face. When he saw the camera was on him he abruptly stopped and looked chagrined. Basically, it make him look like he was happy with a top Japanese competitor having a big problem. In context, not cool. Out of context... still not cool. The audience just laughed, but I was really quite surprised.

Custom Title
    Highlights:

- Savchenko/Szolkowy’s performances
    - the number of quad attempts in the men’s competition

Disappointments:

- the fall of Pechalat/Bourzat and the loss of the bronze medal
    - Virtue/Moir not winning gold
    - Kim Yu-na ending up second
    - Oda’s mistake that cost him bronze / Takahashi’s misfortune
    - too low scores for Fernández López and Joubert

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post

Yu-Na's expression after she saw she was in 2nd in the Kiss & Cry. http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...unakisscry.png
    More like can't wait to get the hell out of the Kiss&Cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEz1u0ZMECQ#t=7m20s

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast