Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^ I dont understand what is supposed to be wrong with this pic. Was there an incident with anthem? All I see is the Canadian flag upside down.
    As many Canadians (and Americans) helpfully pointed out at the time, this was not how the flag is supposed to be displayed One writer suggested that perhaps the marines were trying to make the proceedings seem more autumnal. The 1992 World Series was the first one with a Canadian team, maybe thus the confusion?

Speaking of anthem mishaps, there was a recent one in Canada, involving Russian speed skater Ivan Skorbev - who heard two different national anthems, neither of which was correct.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 05-05-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Custom Title
    At the last 4CC, the Chinese anthem couldn't be played for the Pairs ceremony, which was restaged later. No politics were made out of this on either side though.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I can't help but feel that the Russians are a bit pissed at Pchiddy's win. His exhibition number has always started in the dark with him already lying on the bench. The Russian made him carry his own bench to centre ice to begin his program. And they started his encore music before he was ready.
    Kostner and V/T also carried out their props (chairs). Somehow I don't think the Russian organizers were unhappy with V/T's medal.

Nathalie Pechalat brought out the inflatable crocodile for P/B's gala; in Bern I believe it was already waiting for her on the ice, which makes a lot more sense considering the concept of the program.

Custom Title
    After the triumph of staging the Worlds at short notice, they don't need to sweat the details, do they?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think once in a major competition (Olympics?) God Save the Queen was played for Canada!

I can't help but feel that the Russians are a bit pissed at Pchiddy's win. His exhibition number has always started in the dark with him already lying on the bench. The Russian made him carry his own bench to centre ice to begin his program. And they started his encore music before he was ready.
    Oh the poor boy, he carried his bench so Russians dont like him? Really did you read again your post?As much surprising as it sounds, Chan is not the center of universe so every action must be explained with him in mind. I bet Russia F could do worse than make him carry his own bench if they didnt like him..Encore music starts many times while the skater is off ice.

Buttercup Natalie carried her crocodile in Prague show in the middle of arena as well.

I think once in a major competition (Olympics?) God Save the Queen was played for Canada!
    If they accidentally played God Save the Queen for a U.S. athlete, no one would mind because they would think it was "My Country 'Tis of Thee" ("America").

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Oh the poor boy, he carried his bench so Russians dont like him? Really did you read again your post?As much surprising as it sounds, Chan is not the center of universe so every action must be explained with him in mind. I bet Russia F could do worse than make him carry his own bench if they didnt like him..Encore music starts many times while the skater is off ice.

Buttercup Natalie carried her crocodile in Prague show in the middle of arena as well.
    When it is necessary to exaggerate what someone says just so you can put in what you want to express, then what you want to express has nothing to do with your opportunistic segue.

I was comparing how Chan has started the same program everywhere every other time to this one time, plus the way the Canadian anthem was shortened to explain why I felt might be the sentiments of the organizers. As it has been explained, I accepted that at the gala, they were just equal opportunity no frill presenter.

I will just as well accept your sentiments about Chan or me without you having to twist my words.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 05-05-2011 at 01:39 PM.

When it is necessary to exaggerate what someone says just so you can put in what you want to express, then what you want to express has nothing to do with your opportunistic segue.

I was comparing how Chan has started the same program everywhere every other time to this one time, plus the way the Canadian anthem was shortened to explain why I felt might be the sentiments of the organizers. As it has been explained, I accepted that at the gala, they were just equal opportunity no frill presenter.

I will just as well accept your sentiments about Chan or me without you having to twist my words.
    What's the big deal with the Canadian anthem? . Unlike the USA isn't Canada still a British colony

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    What's the big deal with the Canadian anthem? . Unlike the USA isn't Canada still a British colony
    Well, then the Russian Worlds organizers probabley never bothered with the anthems of a bunch of Eastern European "nations".

Worst national anthem of all time: Advance Australia Fair.

Best national anthem of all time: Waltzing Matilda.

Here's the thing, though: there have been a lot of insinuations and outright accusations about the behavior of the Russian organizers for the past few weeks, ranging from the type of ice being used, to practice access to the competition ice, to Gachinski's and Leonova's marks, to the anthems. Let's also not forget the laughable suggestion that Russia took on Worlds to get Plushenko reinstated. In most cases, the proof was along the lines of "it looked/seemed wrong to me". And now we have a suggestion that Chan was somehow marked at the gala, the proof being, well, pretty lacking - and if you think about it, that would be a pretty silly way of expressing displeasure, even if said displeasure were merited.

I didn't even watch the gala; I am not a fan of most of the participants as show skaters and I had other things to do. But I did have some idea of who might have used props, so I went on Youtube and checked their performances to see what they did. It took me about two minutes. When I read about the anthem issue, I looked on Google and found similar situations where there was clearly no malice. That didn't take long either. I'm hardly the only person with access to Google and Youtube here. I can see how on a PBP thread, one might not have time to do some quick research before posting - but I think it would be good if people took the time to back up their arguments as much as possible otherwise.

Well, then the Russian Worlds organizers probabley never bothered with the anthems of a bunch of Eastern European "nations".
    Remember, Russia put this show on in a month.

I think they did an awfully good job.
    Any problems with the Canadian anthem were surely unintentional.
    Russian feelings about Chan, as I predicted, might be a little different

Custom Title
    Buttercup, You may have gathered your general impression of the Russian organizers having been heavily criticized but I see many thanks offered for them stepping in and succeeding in getting Worlds staged, at least as well as most Worlds, on such short notice.

On this forum, I was the one to report on what Verner said on video about the two rinks without putting in my personal judgement. Right after, I posted that Chan, Bradley, and Reynolds had been reported to have pracitised in the main rink so Verner's words must be related to his experience on that day and he obviously had tried the main ice. I don't see how I may be construed as critical and judgemental about this issue.

However, I do understand how individual posters may not be differentiated in the midst of real or perceived massive criticism. I made the same mistake too when it was just the same poster, Buttercup yourself, who chatised my support for Chan as inappropriate both on a more general thread and on a specific Chan thread. I guess the difference is that I generalized the attitude while you do the opposite, attributing a collectively generated impression onto me an individual. I don't even care why you do this.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^you also said Russians dont let other people practice in the main rink, other than russian skaters, based on Verner interview and it was really nothing like that and needed clarification, but if one time someone has been to an ISU competition he would realise that there is no way a team from any country could have this benefit once a championship official has started.

And many sentences with Rusians do this or that, Buttercup and I are not even from Russia by the way. But I suspect if Chan had not won, I would have read more about Russians did this or that.

In general I m reading the Russians here like they are a tribal.

My feelings about Chan are fine, I think he did a wonderful competition and rightfully deserved his gold medal.
    When I read I need to shut up now because if you dare say something about Chan you are automatically a hater (edge forum) or that Russians dont like him etc, plus the special ice, the main rink, tha anthem, and all the jazz I ve been reading the last few weeks, this I really cant do anything but make fun of it, but has nothing to do with the skater or his skate that I thought it was really great.
    I really didn t feel I had to exagerate about your comments though thats why I bolded your sentence, the sentence itself was doing that effect.
    Last edited by seniorita; 05-05-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Custom Title
    My exact posts on Verner's comment on the two rinks:

The first was based entirely on the video linked.

So Tomas says that the ice on the practice rink is completely different from that on the main rink where only the Russians are allowed. He doesn't like the practice rink and is anxious to try the big rink.
    OK, Brenda Irving of CBC twitted yesterday that Chan practised in the main rink with Bradley and Reynolds. Maybe Tomas meant something else, that it's just his experience on a certain day? He must have experienced the main rink to know it was softer and that he much preferred it.
    I don't believe I made up anything or slammed anybody.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast