Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011?? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

mot

On the Ice
What should the rules be to make sure the skaters are vigilant about their own equipment and not disrupt the competition? An equipment malfunction is almost always tragic and detrimental to the skater but it's also their responsibility. Given the extreme importance of the skates to a skater, it's hard to comprehen why not everything possible is constantly done to ensure their proper function, especially during a competition.

Do you skate? I don't but the opinions I heard from ex-competitive skaters are that they do absolutely everything to avoid such accidents happen, as not only it could disrupt their programme but it could simply be dangerous; however, unfortunately, it does happen now and then. The accident like Daisuke had could have easily resulted in a very serious injury. They do take care not because of the rules applied, but to protect themselves. It is very unlikely experienced skaters like Daisuke or Ladwig had not followed the long establish procedure of their own to ensure their own safety. And it could have happened to any skater. Actually, I read many have had the similar experiences, but luckily not during the most important performance of the season.

In the same way, the Formula 1 drivers and their crew do everything to make sure the machines they ride are in tiptop condition, but we all know they sometimes fail.

As I said, I do not skate but I work with physical materials and even with utmost care and vigilance, materials fail and sadly it is unavoidable, because of material fatigue, more than calculated / expected load applied, defects in materials themselves and / or workmanship in production of materials, etc, etc, not all of which are detectable. It is impossible to make things absolutely perfect, no matter how much we try. That is unfortunately a fate we have to live with, when it comes to physical materials.

mousepotato

On the Ice
What should the rules be to make sure the skaters are vigilant about their own equipment and not disrupt the competition? An equipment malfunction is almost always tragic and detrimental to the skater but it's also their responsibility. Given the extreme importance of the skates to a skater, it's hard to comprehen why not everything possible is constantly done to ensure their proper function, especially during a competition.

What makes you think the skaters aren't vigilant with their equipment? Ladwig's heel coming off his boot, Tanya's laces or the skater whos blade broke was a fluke. Skaters take the utmost care in how they take care of their skates. It happens so rarely it's not even worth discussing. Only giving them 3 minutes to fix it is absurd, that is the rule that needs to be changed. An equipment malfunction is tragic and detrimental however so id a fall that isn't from a skate malfunction.

mot

On the Ice
Highlights for me (be warned, the list is long!) - in no particular order

Opening ceremony & finale - much gratitude for Russian Fed.
Watching Takahiko, Daisuke and Patrick doing a short footwork sequence one after another during the finale - feast to eyes
Miki's & Yuko/Sasha's gala performances - my first time ever experience of welling up while watching gala on small screen
Takahiko's LP
Leonova's LP - especially after following her ups and downs during the season, for me it was the performance of the day
Patrick's SP
Pang/Tong SP
Weaver/Poje SD & FD
Tessa & Scott SD & FD - it was worth waiting for the entire season
Meril & Charlie FD - I was not convinced of this programme until this performance and I am so happy they proved me wrong
Allisa & Carolina - my heart was in my mouth during performances of my most beloved headcases! And they did not meltdown!
Narumi & Mervin SP
Brian's LP - I so wanted Daisuke to steal my heart but Brian took it instead by his gutsy performance
Michal's SP & his 4T & 4S - so looking forward to seeing him back with a vengeance next season!
Ross Miner's LP - new addition to my favourite skaters list
Daisuke's choreo step sequence - one of the most passionate ever. Morozov once said Daisuke executes the last step sequence in the programme as if there was no tomorrow. And it was just like that.
Many skaters in the 1st & 2nd (& 3rd in SP) warm-up groups achieved seasons best scores
AND
Hearing that Daisuke continues to compete with Sochi in sight!
- I do not care if he ever medals again or not, as comparing to being able to watch him skate in competitions, results are small potatoes.

Nightmares (that made me cry out in horror) - again, in no particular order

Nobu...
Daisuke...
Fabian...

Last edited:

Snoopy

Rinkside
This really put me off his skating. He showed poor sportmanship and lack of respect towards competitors and ISU. I have not heard his explanation, but someone here mentioned that Amodio thought he did not have chance for medal. Such a lame excuse, and so untrue as well. Maybe I am to judgmental, but recently he became very arrogant.
But what is even more annoying, is that judges did not penalize his actions. I could not believe that there was no lyrics deduction.. It is beyond me. What were they thinking?? Penalty for Joubert in 2008, and nothing for Amodio for such an obvious rule violation?? If ISU judges do not respect the rules, who is going to??

His LP reminded me of a tacky exhibition skate. No bueno.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
That sad excuse of a Medal Ceremony for Patrick. Not only was there a playing of an edited version of Oh Canada, but they also took their sweet time getting the spotlights on the flags. Every other Gold Medalist/s got their Anthem played in full and got to see the flags from the start, but not the Men. No excuse for that and was bush league!! I said it in the thread and I'll say it again here...

No Gold Medalist ever deserves to be treated that way during their Medal Ceremony!!!

It's that inexcusible slap in the face to Patrick that keeps me from saying Moscow put on a perfect Worlds. They did put on a good Worlds, but that...Patrick didn't deserve that.

The Canadian anthem thing irked me as well. :mad: I've seen every world/olympic medal ceremony for the past 10 years and they've never shortened an anthem before. Really, they couldn't have extended the ceremony by 30 seconds and played the whole song? Its not like the Canadian anthem is a long one.

Getting back on topic....

Best lights out performance:
- Patrick. There's really nothing to say.
- Taka Kozuka...I was insanely impressed
- Virtue/Moir...sure they didn't win, but they looked incredible after such a tough season
- Voloshozar/Trankov...wow, just wow

Worst meltdown:
- Nobu...it broke my heart to see him loose so many marks for such a silly reason
- Pechelat/Bourzat...it seemed that their nerves got the best of them again
- the Canadian singles skaters, with the exception of Patrick...it was scary to see worlds spots slip away like that

Most Underscored:
- can't say

Most overscored:
- Artur Grashinski...really? I don't care how many quads he can land, there is no excuse for those numbers given the complete lack of anything worthy of being called artistry

Happiest moment:
- watching Weaver and Poje skate two clean programs back to back, and then seeing Kaitlyn looking elated for the first time this season in the kiss and cry
- getting to see North America completely decimate the rest of the world in ice dance

Saddest moment:
- watching Pechelat/Bourzat go down in the FD...it broke my heart

Most Awesome Moment:
- seeing Patrick win in such a convincing fashion that no one can argue that he didn't deserve it

Most what the...Moment:
- Florent Ammodio's FS with lyrics...I still don't get it
- Savchenko/Szolkowy's pink panther FS...I don't dispute their win for a second, but really, what were they thinking?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is Japan's anthem really that short? My dad and I were really perplexed by that when they showed Miki's medals ceremony the other night... seemed way too short for an anthem (it also didn't *bounce* like Star Spangled Banner or O Canada, but it was pretty!)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I liked the pairs' podium and the ladies' podium. S/S and V/T were marvelous, and the ladies' event, while not of the highest quality ever, as nonetheless competitive and interesting, with some lovely performances. I was especially please to see Carolina Kostner skate so well - and hold it together after that popped flip.

John and Catilin's Free Skate. John's Mom is very proud of him up there on the cloud she was watching their skate from. :) That was even more magical to me than US Nationals was. Beautiful.
And it took them less than a week to go from "beautiful performance and great showing" to announcing a split. Get it together, US pairs!

Lowlights

That sad excuse of a Medal Ceremony for Patrick. Not only was there a playing of an edited version of Oh Canada, but they also took their sweet time getting the spotlights on the flags. Every other Gold Medalist/s got their Anthem played in full and got to see the flags from the start, but not the Men. No excuse for that and was bush league!! I said it in the thread and I'll say it again here...

No Gold Medalist ever deserves to be treated that way during their Medal Ceremony!!!

The Canadian anthem thing irked me as well. :mad: I've seen every world/olympic medal ceremony for the past 10 years and they've never shortened an anthem before. Really, they couldn't have extended the ceremony by 30 seconds and played the whole song? Its not like the Canadian anthem is a long one.
Well, um, it could have been worse? :biggrin: Sorry about the watermark, didn't have time to look for a better version.

Bonus points if you can name the time and place of the incident.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ I dont understand what is supposed to be wrong with this pic. Was there an incident with anthem? All I see is the canadian flag upside down.

Is Japan's anthem really that short? My dad and I were really perplexed by that when they showed Miki's medals ceremony the other night... seemed way too short for an anthem (it also didn't *bounce* like Star Spangled Banner or O Canada, but it was pretty!)

I think the Japanese anthem is really beautiful, with sadness and joy all in the same notes. I guess the first time I heard it (become a figure skating fan and see the world) was for Yuka Sato in 1994. I have no idea what the words are, or how old the anthem is. Anyone here want to enlighten us?

The American national anthem is forceful because it actually tells a story about a wartime event. The words were written by Francis Scott Key, who witnessed an attack on an American fort in the War of 1812 and saw in the morning that the American flag still rose above the fort. In fact, in the one verse that's generally sung, the country itself is mentioned only in the last line. The rest of the words are all about the flag. From time to time, people have tried to get our anthem changed to the more contemplative, descriptive "America the Beautiful" (the one with "amber waves of grain" in the words), because "The Star-Spangled Banner" is so martial and really hard to sing--over an octave range at full bellow. But so far it hasn't happened. Sometimes a fierce anthem is a good thing, though. Does anyone know the scene in the movie Casablanca where "The Marseilleise" is played in defiance in a roomful of German soldiers? Every time that scene comes, I sing along. And I stand while I'm singing.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I think the Japanese anthem is really beautiful, with sadness and joy all in the same notes. I guess the first time I heard it (become a figure skating fan and see the world) was for Yuka Sato in 1994. I have no idea what the words are, or how old the anthem is. Anyone here want to enlighten us?

Japanese national anthem is called Kimigayo, and has a very old origin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimigayo

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sometimes a fierce anthem is a good thing, though. Does anyone know the scene in the movie Casablanca where "The Marseilleise" is played in defiance in a roomful of German soldiers? Every time that scene comes, I sing along. And I stand while I'm singing.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oROASA1v92U&feature=related

My brother was at the World Cup final in Paris when France beat Brazil.

Today he says his strongest memory of the game was hearing the French Natl anthem and the way the crowd sang it with such amazing spirit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcuLdDh9jhg&feature=related

I find it to be far and away the most stirring of all Natl anthems.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think once in a major competition (Olympics?) God Save the Queen was played for Canada!

I can't help but feel that the Russians are a bit pissed at Pchiddy's win. His exhibition number has always started in the dark with him already lying on the bench. The Russian made him carry his own bench to centre ice to begin his program. And they started his encore music before he was ready.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
^ I dont understand what is supposed to be wrong with this pic. Was there an incident with anthem? All I see is the Canadian flag upside down.
As many Canadians (and Americans) helpfully pointed out at the time, this was not how the flag is supposed to be displayed :biggrin: One writer suggested that perhaps the marines were trying to make the proceedings seem more autumnal. The 1992 World Series was the first one with a Canadian team, maybe thus the confusion? ;)

Speaking of anthem mishaps, there was a recent one in Canada, involving Russian speed skater Ivan Skorbev - who heard two different national anthems, neither of which was correct. ;)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
At the last 4CC, the Chinese anthem couldn't be played for the Pairs ceremony, which was restaged later. No politics were made out of this on either side though.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I can't help but feel that the Russians are a bit pissed at Pchiddy's win. His exhibition number has always started in the dark with him already lying on the bench. The Russian made him carry his own bench to centre ice to begin his program. And they started his encore music before he was ready.
Kostner and V/T also carried out their props (chairs). Somehow I don't think the Russian organizers were unhappy with V/T's medal. :biggrin:

Nathalie Pechalat brought out the inflatable crocodile for P/B's gala; in Bern I believe it was already waiting for her on the ice, which makes a lot more sense considering the concept of the program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
After the triumph of staging the Worlds at short notice, they don't need to sweat the details, do they? :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think once in a major competition (Olympics?) God Save the Queen was played for Canada!

Oh the poor boy, he carried his bench so Russians dont like him? Really did you read again your post?As much surprising as it sounds, Chan is not the center of universe so every action must be explained with him in mind. I bet Russia F could do worse than make him carry his own bench if they didnt like him..Encore music starts many times while the skater is off ice.

Buttercup Natalie carried her crocodile in Prague show in the middle of arena as well.