Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011?? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

Highlight: Miki, Miki, you're so fine! :love:

Lowlight: Alissa lost her chance at a medal on that Lutz. :cry:

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Highlight: Patrick's short, Carolina's long

Nightmare: Nobu's third 3T and Dai's boot malfunction

janetfan

Match Penalty
Alissa missing her opening lutz really upset me, but then seeing how well she recovered and turned in such a nice LP absolutely lifted me up.

So happy for Alissa and wish she could have medaled but it wasn't meant to be.
Glad she is returning and I am already anticpating her new programs for next season.

Lily.Grace

Rinkside
Best Performances and Highlights:
- Takahiko Kozuka's LP!! I was so thrilled at the end of his flawless programme, I was sobbing hysterically^^;
- Patrick Chan's SP and LP, loved his calmness and composure, I was SO happy with his nearly perfect performances!!!
- Virtue/Moir's SD and FD, they were absolutely amazing, as usual:)
- Yu Na Kim's SP, even with the mistake
- Michal Brezina' LP

Worst Meltdown:
- Probably Kiira Korpi...I was expecting good performances from her, so I was very disappointed, but I hope she'll come back stronger next season
- And of course Rachael Flatt...I'm a big fan of her skating, so I was incredibly disappointed with her performances
- Cynthia Phaneuf! I think she's a wonderful skater, unique and has great presence, but those jumps......such a pity:(

Most Underscored:
- Maybe Alissa Czisny...I don't know

Most Overscored:
- Maybe Leonova? But I must admit she really skated well this time, even though I don't like her style.
- I thought D/W were a bit overscored in the SD too, but their LP was great
- At first I thought Gachinski was overscored, but I think he did a great job landing all his jumps, so I can't really argue, he deserved the bronze I suppose

Happiest Moment:
- Kozuka's wonderful LP and getting the silver,
- Chan and Brezina landing the quads,
- Kim landing her 3-3 in the LP
- Alissa recovering after her fall

Saddest Moment:
- Takahashi's boot problem. It just broke my heart.
- Pechalat & Bourzat's Kiss & Cry after the FD. >>> Agree with you SamuraiKike

Most Awesome Moment:
Watching V&M and Yuna's programs for the first time. They were sooo brilliant that I really hate we only could see them once during the whole season. >>> Agree with you SamuraiKike

Most What the... Moment:
- Amodio with the help of Fergie making a precedent for the revolution of vocals in single skating. >>> Agree with you SamuraiKike
- Oda making that mistake again

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
Highlights:
- The entire pairs competition, but especially the LPs of Savchenko/Szolkowy and Volosozhar/Trankov. Wow!! What a beginning to a great rivalry.
- Takahiko Kozuka's LP. I grinned the whole way through.
- Miki winning for Japan
- The LP's of Carolina and Alissa....it was a privilege to watch them skate back to back.
- Leonova's LP, for entirely different reasons as Caro and Alissa....she's so dramatic and she really delivered

Lowlights
- Mao
- Daisuke
- P/B's fall. Actually the entire dance competition was one giant disappointment....

Puchi

On the Ice
You're seeing what you want to see, and you're trying to poison other people's perception of her. She smiled at her scores and placement, she waved. Then she got up.

Yu-Na was clearly disappointed with her placement, and there's nothing wrong with that. She's a brilliant athlete and was expecting to win, she didn't, but she put hereself together quickly and acted gracefully in the K&C. But her disappointment did show, and again, there's nothing wrong with that. No need to sugarcoat things or put her in a bad light either.

figurejennah

On the Ice
More like can't wait to get the hell out of the Kiss&Cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEz1u0ZMECQ#t=7m20s

Dude, I don't know what your problem is, but you are just a helpless yuna hater.
I've read your posts, and you clearly are busy just posting hateful comments against her.
Your past comments about (ex: she needs to take skating more serious etc) are just pathetic.
But no matter what yuna haters like you say about her, it doesn't change the fact that
Yuna Kim will be remembered as one of the most memorable, talented, and beautiful olympic
gold medalist in the history of figure skating.

jaylee

Medalist
Yu-Na was clearly disappointed with her placement, and there's nothing wrong with that. She's a brilliant athlete and was expecting to win, she didn't, but she put hereself together quickly and acted gracefully in the K&C. But her disappointment did show, and again, there's nothing wrong with that. No need to sugarcoat things or put her in a bad light either.

Thanks for your post, Puchi. I can't find much to disagree with--I agree that there was some disappointment, and that her immediate reaction was graceful acceptance. I responded strongly because I felt it was clear that Yu-Na in no way showed an ounce of bitterness or had a reaction close to Surya Bonaly. I agree that there is no need to interpret things too much in either direction.

------

Getting back on topic.

Highlights:
- NA sweep of ice dance, Davis/White's historic win, Shibutani's unexpected medal, Virtue/Moir's awesome debut
- Patrick Chan winning deservedly
- Kozuka's beautiful LP
- Pairs: entire podium
- Yu-Na winning silver and Homage to Korea being a beautiful, moving LP

Lowlights:
- Daisuke Takahashi - no matter what, he is a great skater and a great champion.
- Yu-Na's EX. - Whether it was an injury or a loss of confidence or something else, Yu-Na simply didn't sparkle like she can. She could have retired like many an Olympic champion before her but she chose the harder route. I think it must've been much harder than any of her fans, let alone her critics, realize. I can only wish her the best in whatever she does.
- Mao Asada - I hope to see her and Yu-Na back at full strength whatever they do, whether it's competing or skating in shows, because it is truly tragic to see these two skate as a shadow of what their fans know they can be. I wish her the best as well. If she needs a long break, I hope she gets it.

My thanks to Russia for so quickly putting on these Worlds.

Tigger

Final Flight
Guys, there is an Ignore function on this board. Instead of falling for people trying to stir things up, go to your User CP and take advantage of it. Believe me when I say it makes competitions around here far more enjoyable.

Okay then...This is a partial listing, as I've spent the last three days in Royal Wedding mode and also catching up on sleep. I've got it all on DVD thanks to the DVR, so will be catching up at some point, but here we go...

Highlights for me...

Patrick's win. I was in our London back in 2005 when this cute little kid w/sooooo much potential won the Jr title of Canada. So to see that potential reached on Thursday...I was in happy tears. Until the Medal Ceremony, but I'll get to that in a moment...

Weaver and Poje finishing in the Top Five. That made my day yesterday. Even more than the NA Sweep in Dance. I know some don't agree, but I've felt the last two years SC's screwed them a bit at Cdns due to Crone and Poirer being *The Chosen Ones*. Well...Look where TCO's finished and the pair that should have been on the Olympic and World Team last year and IMO should have gone to Moscow as Cdn Champions ended up. This to me is the Sweetest Moment of Worlds.

Alissa...SO thrilled for her. Yes, I also went "OH NO" when she fell on the lutz, but if the rest of the program isn't beyond a doubt proof she's gotten her nerves under control, then nothing will prove it to her naysayers. What a Worlds for her!!

Miki winning. Been a fan of hers for a long time and so happy for her.

Megan and Eric fighting through what happened in the SP to actually comeback and skate such a great LP. So proud of them and after this, they can do *anything*.

Taka's Silver...YAY for another skater's skater winning a medal. Been in love w/his skating since I saw him for the first time and what a way to rise to the Occasion. I adore his edges, sooooo smooth.

Team Japan's performance overall. No one would have blamed any of them if they'd come into these Worlds and not performed well. All of them, yes even poor Nobu, deserve a rousing Standing Ovation for how they perservered and performed under unbelievable pressure to provide a bright spot of joy for their Home Country.

Dai...Yes, to me this is a highlight and to me, showed just what kind of a competitor he is. He knew his equipment had let him down once, wasn't sure he could count on it, but went back out there and delievered one heck of a gutsy Free. He more than proved he's got the Heart of a Champion.

All of the breakthrough performances/Skates Of Their Lifes we saw. There is nothing more fun to watch, than a skater or team's reaction after they've really *delievered* that special performance. My personal favourite reactions were the Russian skaters who got to have that happen at home. That makes it even more special.

Tessa and Scott...WELCOME BACK!!!! Oh my, oh my, oh my...That FD was Ooooh la la!! :biggrin: I was literally gushing over their SD, as they were just soooo smooth and like they'd never missed a step. There were bobbles here and there in the FD, but nothing that ruined the Va Va Va VOOOM mood of it though. Am I selfish in hoping they keep it for next season? I mean...In reality, we never did get a chance to see it enough and can you imagine w/a full season to work on that thing?

John and Catilin's Free Skate. John's Mom is very proud of him up there on the cloud she was watching their skate from. :) That was even more magical to me than US Nationals was. Beautiful.

Lowlights

That sad excuse of a Medal Ceremony for Patrick. Not only was there a playing of an edited version of Oh Canada, but they also took their sweet time getting the spotlights on the flags. Every other Gold Medalist/s got their Anthem played in full and got to see the flags from the start, but not the Men. No excuse for that and was bush league!! I said it in the thread and I'll say it again here...

No Gold Medalist ever deserves to be treated that way during their Medal Ceremony!!!

It's that inexcusible slap in the face to Patrick that keeps me from saying Moscow put on a perfect Worlds. They did put on a good Worlds, but that...Patrick didn't deserve that.

Nobu...Oh Nobu...What can I say that hasn't been said? Sigh...

Yu-Na and Mao...It's been painful to watch Mao all season, but to see her here I'm now officially worried. What has happened to that girl? Dear Lord...She's far, far too thin!! No wonder the jumps have gone bye bye. She's got almost no muscle tone to even try and get them up in the air anymore. Now that the season's over, someone get some food into her and STAT!!

As for Yu Na....What has happened to her spark? I get she was tired due to all she's tried to do this year, but perhaps someone needs to sit her down and teach her how to say, "No, I can't do that show. I need to stay at my training base and train." If that had happened, then *maybe* she could have pulled this off. Regardless, I miss the spark and joy in her skating. It was so sad to see her yesterday on the Podium. I understand it though, as she really did think she could do this. A shame.

Yuka and Sasha...So sad to watch.

Speedy's reaction to Dai's skate malfunction. It's been touched on elsewhere, so I won't say much more than ITA. Which leads me into...

That rule that a skater only has three minutes to fix whatever problem has happened or they're disqualified. That needs to either be changed or wiped off the books entirely. I mean...Seriously? Is anyone seriously thinking that was enough time to properly secure the heel portion of the blade back to the sole of the heel of the boot? Not to mention time to check to make sure the repair was properly done? My Dad was watching the Final Flight w/me and even he said, "Are they crazy sending him back out there w/such a quick repair? If it happens again, he could seriously hurt himself."

Exactly!! Either the rule needs to change to give the skater the option of skating last, and giving themselves the time to fix the problem properly or if the last skater, enough time to fix the problem w/no fear of disqualification. This three minutes or disqualification is not only stupid, but could have serious ramifications at some point down the road. It needs to go!!

I haven't seen P&B's FD yet, as I only had enough time yesterday to take a quick peek at my Disk to watch Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie before the repeat of the Ladies FS on Bold started. That was due to me somehow screwing up the Timer programming of it earlier yesterday morning and both are now on the same disk. Anyway...I've heard what happened though and...Sigh!! I may not always like their programs, but they're never boring or cookie cutter and I respect them for that. Poor Natalie and Fabian. :cry:

Cynthia's two skates.

I won't add Amelie, Kevin or Joey to my lowlights. For one skater where it was his very first Worlds and had to do the Qualifying Round just to compete and two who were Late Replacements, and in Kevin's case also still recovering from what sounded like a pretty serious hip injury, I thought they did a pretty good job. It's one of those "Chalk it up to Experience" things. Not a highlight or a lowlight, but inbetween.

Can't wait to watch my Disk of the Gala later and see if some of those performances will be added to the Highlights list of mine. :biggrin:

amateur

Final Flight
Highlights:

Kostner's LP

Leonova's SP

first minute of V/M's freee dance :eek:

Chan throughout

skfan

Final Flight
HIGHLIGHT:
i never thought i'd say this, but my hightlight of the 2011 worlds is miki ando's exhibition numbers. she just moves me, as a person, and her skating is starting to catch up. i am happy she was able to give the people of japan a good memory from this year's worlds. there's an interview with her on FSU that just breaks my heart.

runner up: carolina kostner's long program, yeonah kim's long program.

LOW LIGHTS
daisuke's bad luck and the laughing hyenas in suits
yeonah and mao not being physically and mentally in the best of conditions to skate the way we all know they can when they're at their best.

ETA: additional lowlight: people jumping on the chance to bash rachael flatt, making all sorts of unreasonable claims about her character, how nagasu would have surely secured 3 spots--i even saw (tongue in cheek?) assertions that nagasu would be 2011 world champion if only rachael flatt had withdrawn *sigh*

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Guys, there is an Ignore function on this board. Instead of falling for people trying to stir things up, go to your User CP and take advantage of it. Believe me when I say it makes competitions around here far more enjoyable.

So true.

(Snip)

That rule that a skater only has three minutes to fix whatever problem has happened or they're disqualified. That needs to either be changed or wiped off the books entirely. I mean...Seriously? Is anyone seriously thinking that was enough time to properly secure the heel portion of the blade back to the sole of the heel of the boot? Not to mention time to check to make sure the repair was properly done? My Dad was watching the Final Flight w/me and even he said, "Are they crazy sending him back out there w/such a quick repair? If it happens again, he could seriously hurt himself."

Exactly!! Either the rule needs to change to give the skater the option of skating last, and giving themselves the time to fix the problem properly or if the last skater, enough time to fix the problem w/no fear of disqualification. This three minutes or disqualification is not only stupid, but could have serious ramifications at some point down the road. It needs to go!!

ITA. This needs to be addressed.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Highlights:
Miki's winning SP, LP, and gala program. How did she become so expressive in a short span of time is beyond me. Wow. Gives hope to all jumpers out there. Everything she did seemed so polished and finished. Miki deserves her second World title. :thumbsup:

Lowlights:
Yuna Kim's blatant held up score in the SP.
Speedy
Rachael's injury
Oda's inability to count
K/S missing the podium

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What should the rules be to make sure the skaters are vigilant about their own equipment and not disrupt the competition? An equipment malfunction is almost always tragic and detrimental to the skater but it's also their responsibility. Given the extreme importance of the skates to a skater, it's hard to comprehen why not everything possible is constantly done to ensure their proper function, especially during a competition.

LeReveur

On the Ice
I don't think I've ever posted about actual skating here, but I feel compelled to write about what I finally just saw: Leonova's two programs. It's true that each man has his view of choreography and musical interpretation, but I found her programs to be extreeeeeeeeeeeemely overscored. Also, her two glaring mistakes in the short program should have set her back and not made her near the podium. I rooted for her before this competition, but watching what I deem her total absence of "good programs" (she's not an artist and doesn't even pull of charm or energy well) place above Czisny (for example) baffles me. I won't even get into the rest of the competition, as I haven't seen it all, but: does anyone else think Leonova was a joke both from a spectator point of view and from a placement point of view?

smia

Rinkside
Highlights:
The pairs competition. S/S, V/T, Y/C. K/S's long program and exhibition.
Chan and Kozuka.

Saddest moments:
Oda and Pechalat/Bourzat.

ljaeren

Rinkside
Highligts:
Takahiko Kozuka's fs
Yuna kim's return

Saddest parts:
Pechalat and Bourzat
Daiuske takahashi

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Highlights:

1. D/W finally winning the gold medals & done so fair and squaire, despite chatters regarding how overmarked they were;
2. Dornbush & Miner proving themselves deserving of the US world representatives, despite chatters how undeserving resprentatives that they were;
3. The Shibs' facial expressions at the moment when they found out that they won bronze medals, proving if there was a conspiracy by S/Z, the Shibs at least were not aware.

Saddest part:

P/B's fall, and effectively giving away the bronze medals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
High: D/W winning USA's first ever ice dance world title. Shibutanis sneaking in for bronze

Low: Just about everything else