In the same way, the Formula 1 drivers and their crew do everything to make sure the machines they ride are in tiptop condition, but we all know they sometimes fail.
As I said, I do not skate but I work with physical materials and even with utmost care and vigilance, materials fail and sadly it is unavoidable, because of material fatigue, more than calculated / expected load applied, defects in materials themselves and / or workmanship in production of materials, etc, etc, not all of which are detectable. It is impossible to make things absolutely perfect, no matter how much we try. That is unfortunately a fate we have to live with, when it comes to physical materials.
Highlights for me (be warned, the list is long!) - in no particular order
Opening ceremony & finale - much gratitude for Russian Fed.
Watching Takahiko, Daisuke and Patrick doing a short footwork sequence one after another during the finale - feast to eyes
Miki's & Yuko/Sasha's gala performances - my first time ever experience of welling up while watching gala on small screen
Leonova's LP - especially after following her ups and downs during the season, for me it was the performance of the day
Weaver/Poje SD & FD
Tessa & Scott SD & FD - it was worth waiting for the entire season
Meril & Charlie FD - I was not convinced of this programme until this performance and I am so happy they proved me wrong
Allisa & Carolina - my heart was in my mouth during performances of my most beloved headcases! And they did not meltdown!
Narumi & Mervin SP
Brian's LP - I so wanted Daisuke to steal my heart but Brian took it instead by his gutsy performance
Michal's SP & his 4T & 4S - so looking forward to seeing him back with a vengeance next season!
Ross Miner's LP - new addition to my favourite skaters list
Daisuke's choreo step sequence - one of the most passionate ever. Morozov once said Daisuke executes the last step sequence in the programme as if there was no tomorrow. And it was just like that.
Many skaters in the 1st & 2nd (& 3rd in SP) warm-up groups achieved seasons best scores
Hearing that Daisuke continues to compete with Sochi in sight! - I do not care if he ever medals again or not, as comparing to being able to watch him skate in competitions, results are small potatoes.
Nightmares (that made me cry out in horror) - again, in no particular order
Last edited by mot; 05-03-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Getting back on topic....
Best lights out performance:
- Patrick. There's really nothing to say.
- Taka Kozuka...I was insanely impressed
- Virtue/Moir...sure they didn't win, but they looked incredible after such a tough season
- Voloshozar/Trankov...wow, just wow
- Nobu...it broke my heart to see him loose so many marks for such a silly reason
- Pechelat/Bourzat...it seemed that their nerves got the best of them again
- the Canadian singles skaters, with the exception of Patrick...it was scary to see worlds spots slip away like that
- can't say
- Artur Grashinski...really? I don't care how many quads he can land, there is no excuse for those numbers given the complete lack of anything worthy of being called artistry
- watching Weaver and Poje skate two clean programs back to back, and then seeing Kaitlyn looking elated for the first time this season in the kiss and cry
- getting to see North America completely decimate the rest of the world in ice dance
- watching Pechelat/Bourzat go down in the FD...it broke my heart
Most Awesome Moment:
- seeing Patrick win in such a convincing fashion that no one can argue that he didn't deserve it
Most what the...Moment:
- Florent Ammodio's FS with lyrics...I still don't get it
- Savchenko/Szolkowy's pink panther FS...I don't dispute their win for a second, but really, what were they thinking?