Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011?? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Your hightlights and your nightmares of Moscow 2011??

I think once in a major competition (Olympics?) God Save the Queen was played for Canada!

If they accidentally played God Save the Queen for a U.S. athlete, no one would mind because they would think it was "My Country 'Tis of Thee" ("America"). :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh the poor boy, he carried his bench so Russians dont like him? Really did you read again your post?As much surprising as it sounds, Chan is not the center of universe so every action must be explained with him in mind. I bet Russia F could do worse than make him carry his own bench if they didnt like him..Encore music starts many times while the skater is off ice.

Buttercup Natalie carried her crocodile in Prague show in the middle of arena as well.

When it is necessary to exaggerate what someone says just so you can put in what you want to express, then what you want to express has nothing to do with your opportunistic segue.

I was comparing how Chan has started the same program everywhere every other time to this one time, plus the way the Canadian anthem was shortened to explain why I felt might be the sentiments of the organizers. As it has been explained, I accepted that at the gala, they were just equal opportunity no frill presenter.

I will just as well accept your sentiments about Chan or me without you having to twist my words.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
When it is necessary to exaggerate what someone says just so you can put in what you want to express, then what you want to express has nothing to do with your opportunistic segue.

I was comparing how Chan has started the same program everywhere every other time to this one time, plus the way the Canadian anthem was shortened to explain why I felt might be the sentiments of the organizers. As it has been explained, I accepted that at the gala, they were just equal opportunity no frill presenter.

I will just as well accept your sentiments about Chan or me without you having to twist my words.

What's the big deal with the Canadian anthem? . Unlike the USA isn't Canada still a British colony ;)

Worst national anthem of all time: Advance Australia Fair.

Best national anthem of all time: Waltzing Matilda.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

Here's the thing, though: there have been a lot of insinuations and outright accusations about the behavior of the Russian organizers for the past few weeks, ranging from the type of ice being used, to practice access to the competition ice, to Gachinski's and Leonova's marks, to the anthems. Let's also not forget the laughable suggestion that Russia took on Worlds to get Plushenko reinstated. In most cases, the proof was along the lines of "it looked/seemed wrong to me". And now we have a suggestion that Chan was somehow marked at the gala, the proof being, well, pretty lacking - and if you think about it, that would be a pretty silly way of expressing displeasure, even if said displeasure were merited.

I didn't even watch the gala; I am not a fan of most of the participants as show skaters and I had other things to do. But I did have some idea of who might have used props, so I went on Youtube and checked their performances to see what they did. It took me about two minutes. When I read about the anthem issue, I looked on Google and found similar situations where there was clearly no malice. That didn't take long either. I'm hardly the only person with access to Google and Youtube here. I can see how on a PBP thread, one might not have time to do some quick research before posting - but I think it would be good if people took the time to back up their arguments as much as possible otherwise.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well, then the Russian Worlds organizers probabley never bothered with the anthems of a bunch of Eastern European "nations". ;)

Remember, Russia put this show on in a month.

I think they did an awfully good job.
Any problems with the Canadian anthem were surely unintentional.
Russian feelings about Chan, as I predicted, might be a little different ;) :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Buttercup, You may have gathered your general impression of the Russian organizers having been heavily criticized but I see many thanks offered for them stepping in and succeeding in getting Worlds staged, at least as well as most Worlds, on such short notice.

On this forum, I was the one to report on what Verner said on video about the two rinks without putting in my personal judgement. Right after, I posted that Chan, Bradley, and Reynolds had been reported to have pracitised in the main rink so Verner's words must be related to his experience on that day and he obviously had tried the main ice. I don't see how I may be construed as critical and judgemental about this issue.

However, I do understand how individual posters may not be differentiated in the midst of real or perceived massive criticism. I made the same mistake too when it was just the same poster, Buttercup yourself, who chatised my support for Chan as inappropriate both on a more general thread and on a specific Chan thread. I guess the difference is that I generalized the attitude while you do the opposite, attributing a collectively generated impression onto me an individual. I don't even care why you do this.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^you also said Russians dont let other people practice in the main rink, other than russian skaters, based on Verner interview and it was really nothing like that and needed clarification, but if one time someone has been to an ISU competition he would realise that there is no way a team from any country could have this benefit once a championship official has started.

And many sentences with Rusians do this or that, Buttercup and I are not even from Russia by the way. But I suspect if Chan had not won, I would have read more about Russians did this or that.

In general I m reading the Russians here like they are a tribal.

My feelings about Chan are fine, I think he did a wonderful competition and rightfully deserved his gold medal.
When I read I need to shut up now because if you dare say something about Chan you are automatically a hater (edge forum) or that Russians dont like him etc, plus the special ice, the main rink, tha anthem, and all the jazz I ve been reading the last few weeks, this I really cant do anything but make fun of it, but has nothing to do with the skater or his skate that I thought it was really great.
I really didn t feel I had to exagerate about your comments though thats why I bolded your sentence, the sentence itself was doing that effect.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My exact posts on Verner's comment on the two rinks:

The first was based entirely on the video linked.

So Tomas says that the ice on the practice rink is completely different from that on the main rink where only the Russians are allowed. He doesn't like the practice rink and is anxious to try the big rink.

OK, Brenda Irving of CBC twitted yesterday that Chan practised in the main rink with Bradley and Reynolds. Maybe Tomas meant something else, that it's just his experience on a certain day? He must have experienced the main rink to know it was softer and that he much preferred it.

I don't believe I made up anything or slammed anybody.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I remember having to reply to your first quote made after Verner interview in practice thread cause it is common sense that a country wouldnt have a special ice time in main rink and it was clear Tomas was speaking for the days before the Worlds started officially as his interview posted was on Monday, the first day of Worlds. I dont know when you made the second, but only Russians are allowed seemed too funny to me and the comment was when Worlds had already started officially and it was not ok to rush to these kind of comments about the host country. Add the anthem, the special ice, the Plu eligibility and the bench comments, but if you dont see it, it is fine.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I never said myself only the Russians are allowed. I quoted Verner because it was an odd statement. Then I verified that it could not be true as directly interpreted.

eta I've said very little about Plushenko's eligibility. I suggest you actually read my words and back up what you allege I say.

Last edited:
Actually Oda's FP was one of my highlights. Apart from his bugaboo about the Zayak rule, it was the best performance overall I've seen from him in a long time. Maybe ever. He stopped being the cute little guy and skated like a man. It made me cheer for him and I haven't done that in a while. Go, Nobu!

ETA: Actually I meant to put this in the Men's LP where Oda is being attacked :scowl: but I guess it works here too. Although the topic seems to be mutating... as is our wont...
:cool:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^i had no intention to attack Oda. I like him. But if he manages to zayak for the 2435425 time and that in ten seconds of a program, I think he needs help or an alarm, a push, jokes aside , it is not that he cant count but obviously he has a thing with an alternative of a jump layout if he falters quad, or his mind gets blocked, I dont know, it is not normal though to repeat this mistake, how many medals has he lost this way? He can kep doing this until Sochi, sure. But if he outskates Hanyu like at Nationals fair enough with me.

Sorry, seniorita, I know you didn't mean to attack him. I'm sure the Japanese Fed is asking itself the same question you are. It's a very perplexing situation. For Nobu himself too, I'm sure.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, Oda has had chances to lose medals, including gold ones. We don't know how many skaters in his situations would do because they never get near such situation. Of course, we compare him only to other contenders, so he's lacking in that aspect among the very top skaters. Doesn't make him necessarily the worst in that aspect to most also runs.

Does he do this with Takahashi in the same competition every time?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Sorry, seniorita, I know you didn't mean to attack him. I'm sure the Japanese Fed is asking itself the same question you are. It's a very perplexing situation. For Nobu himself too, I'm sure.

I know. I dont know any other top contender in this situation. Since he left morozov he changed a lot, but this thing doesnt leave and it is too many seasons now he is doing it in pressure competitions. Thinking what gorgeous 4-3-3 he trows in practices you want to bang your head!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think the Japanese anthem is really beautiful, with sadness and joy all in the same notes. I guess the first time I heard it (become a figure skating fan and see the world) was for Yuka Sato in 1994. I have no idea what the words are, or how old the anthem is. Anyone here want to enlighten us?

The American national anthem is forceful because it actually tells a story about a wartime event. The words were written by Francis Scott Key, who witnessed an attack on an American fort in the War of 1812 and saw in the morning that the American flag still rose above the fort. In fact, in the one verse that's generally sung, the country itself is mentioned only in the last line. The rest of the words are all about the flag. From time to time, people have tried to get our anthem changed to the more contemplative, descriptive "America the Beautiful" (the one with "amber waves of grain" in the words), because "The Star-Spangled Banner" is so martial and really hard to sing--over an octave range at full bellow. But so far it hasn't happened. Sometimes a fierce anthem is a good thing, though. Does anyone know the scene in the movie Casablanca where "The Marseilleise" is played in defiance in a roomful of German soldiers? Every time that scene comes, I sing along. And I stand while I'm singing.

all I want to know is if the Japanese National Anthem is as short as it was when they played it for Miki's medal ceremony. I didn't watch the men's, dance or pairs ceremonies so I can't comment on the whole alleged Chan debacle but I was very surprised that the anthem was so short.

chloepoco

Medalist
all I want to know is if the Japanese National Anthem is as short as it was when they played it for Miki's medal ceremony. I didn't watch the men's, dance or pairs ceremonies so I can't comment on the whole alleged Chan debacle but I was very surprised that the anthem was so short.

Kimigayo, the Japanese National Anthem, is very short. I think it's actually one of the shortest anthem's in the world, but I could be wrong. Olympia, it is about the Emperor's reign, or the wish of the Emperor's reign to last forever. (If memory serves me correctly)