Highlights Outside the Top Ten | Golden Skate

Highlights Outside the Top Ten

beabstress

On the Ice
I thought it would be nice to give some positive attention to the skaters who haven't already been talked about to death. So let's give it a shot. Share some of your thoughts on those who finished 11th or below at the World Championships. What impressed you (in a positive way) or brought you joy or made you smile?

beabstress

On the Ice
I'll go first:

I like how ZHIGANSHINA/GAZSI (11th in Dance) go the wacky route! Reminds me of the Martin Skotnicky teams of the 90s that I enjoyed so much.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Ross Miner (11th), and frankly underscored a bit, too. It was great to see him again land two clean programs, as he did at Nationals!

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I think Peter Liebers showed the performance of his life. And I liked the SP of Klára Kadlecová and Petr Bidař.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I enjoyed Sarah Hecken's skating and thought she did well in Moscow. Hope she continues to show improvement.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
For the men, Ross Miner was good in both phases and so was Peter Liebers, although I think Liebers was underscored in the short. I also enjoyed Kim Lucine.

For pairs, none of them really stood out to me outside of the top 10.

In dance, Zhighanshina/Gaszi were really interesting to watch, but I think my favourite out of top 10 team was Tobias/Stagnunias. I really liked their programs this season. Guignard/Fabbri were also good as well as Carron/Jones. I hope Carron/Jones can eventually break into the top 10 (as well as Zhiganshina/Gaszi, for that matter). The Reeds and Reed/Japaridze did good FDs as well.

Ira Vannut and Joshi Helgesson were the ones that impressed me outside of the top 10 in ladies. I really like both the Helgesson sisters, but it was Joshi who skated best in this competition. Julia Turkkila was pretty good too. I'm not going to be too fast to jump on the Mae Berenice Meite bandwagon, if there is really one. When her jumps are off, she's pretty boring.

Liebers and Hecken were my standouts, and there was a Belgian male and female who are most promising. Mae Bernice Mette screwed my thinking in the LP.

Good post, by the way. It's nice to speak about the contestants who are not yet in the top 10.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I enjoyed Sarah Hecken's skating and thought she did well in Moscow. Hope she continues to show improvement.

Agreed, I think she has potential (and thought she should have finished 10th at these World Championships). I notice she has solid jumps, pretty good lines, and a natural desire to perform. She needs to work on making her basic skating stronger, getting more intricate choreography, and timing her movements with the music better. The spins could improve too. Also, something I found rather bizarre - in both the SP and LP she appears to pinch her nose a moment after landing the 3Toe-3Toe combination?

It's so nice to read there are some fans who enjoy watching other than elite skaters. I can watch skaters move blade-to-ice without a 3x3 for the Ladies and without a Quad for the Men.