Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will Anything Change the Straightline Footwork Segment

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    I always feel like im in a very small minority who truly enjoys COP step sequences, specially when I watch old programs and sometimes I feel like:"Wait was that a step sequence, it felt more like a comobo of transitions and If I blink I would miss it"...
    That is very interesting, because my reaction is exactly the opposite. I liked those pre-CoP step sequences (Yagdin's Winter, Kwan's Aranjuez) that seemed to be part of the choreography. In the CoP the skater is expected to come to a complete stop. Stand around until he is sure that he has the attention of the tech panel and the judges, then announce to the world, "OK, everybody, now I am going to do my step sequence.".

What follows next often has nothing to do with the music or the program. Just like a quad toe is a quad toe -- you can't do a quad toe first in the style of a tango, and then next time do a quad toe as Prince Igor would do it -- the step sequences, too, are usually not tailored to the choreography.

I giuess that is the point of the new "choreography step sequence" and the "choreography spiral sequence" for ladies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Yeah, I LOVE COP step sequences. Lambiel in "Poeta," Dai in "Swan Lake," Chan in... anything really. A well executed step sequence is probably my favourite figure skating move.
    I agree when it comes to the men, but I feel pairs and ladies have a loooong way to go when it comes to step sequences. I can't think of a single truly memorable CoP step sequence when it comes to pairs or ladies.
    Last edited by evangeline; 05-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Custom Title
    Akiko Suzuki, West Side Story
    Yu Na Kim, Danse Macabre

Dube/Davison, The Blower's Daughter (at worlds)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Akiko Suzuki, West Side Story
    Yu Na Kim, Danse Macabre

Dube/Davison, The Blower's Daughter (at worlds)
    Heartily agree w/the bolded, Akiko especially; I could just watch her all day to step sequneces and nothing else <3 I'd also like to add "Lark Ascending" and "Tango de Roxanne", Mao's Liebestraum (love, LOVE how soft, fluid, and balletic all her movements are), Mirai's Pirates footwork (so joyful!) and of course, Carolina Kostner's footwork at this year's worlds. Just divine <3

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    II actually appreciate greatly how complex they look now and how hard they must be to be executed properly.
    You appreciate how complex they look? That is diametrically opposed to what figure skating is supposed to be, though. What is hard is supposed to look EASY/effortless. This is where I truly struggle with IJS leveled step sequences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2