Bin Laden killed | Golden Skate

Bin Laden killed

He will stand before God for judgment.

I thought of the people on Flight 93, who took the plane down before it could hit another building, and of the firefighters and police in the building.

I think of two people especially. One, Welles Remy Crowther, was an equities trader working in one of the towers, but he was also a volunteer firefighter in a nearby suburb. He ran up and down the stairs several times, guiding people out. He died when the towers fell, aged 24.

Another, Abe Zelmanowitz, remained in the building because his best friend, in a wheelchair, couldn't get out.

Those two men have been special beacons to me through these years, and I think of them tonight, because they served light and not darkness.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Very proud of our military tonight. While it is a victory for Bush/Obama... I say it's the unnamed, unsung heroes that truly hold the victory.

I agree, Toni. How brave those special forces folk had to be, to go in there! I'm in awe of them.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Be careful what you wish for...I am sure there will be repercussions.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ So do I, but this is no time to be complacent. I am concerned about the other terrorist cells out there.

No one is complacent. But this shows that no matter how long it takes, we get our man.

Keep in mind, Bin Laden also ordered the death of many Muslims right there in their own countries. His followers have attacked in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and remember that several hundred Africans were killed in the embassy bombings. So we might not be the only place to be happy that he's in some other world.

I don't think either the government or the media will make like everything's over. Embassies and bases abroad and cities here are on highest alert. News reporters have continued to make those points. Everyone knows that Al Quaeda isn't run from the top down, and that it's metastasized. But this is nonetheless a huge, possibly seismic moment, especially the way the deed was done. He wasn't taken out by an air strike that hurt civilians in collateral damage. He was stopped by a tiny group of men who went right into the mouth of the dragon to get him.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Very proud of our military tonight. While it is a victory for Bush/Obama... I say it's the unnamed, unsung heroes that truly hold the victory.

A victory for Bush :think:
How about giving credit to Leon Panetta who was ordered by Obama two years ago to do this right after the Bush team spent 8 years doing it wrong.

Whatever, no need to get too political here.

For me it feels like a time for reflection. I don't see any need to label this a "victory" as it was something (revenge) that our leaders felt they had to do.

We will soon see that this victory will turn out to be a no win situation or even a "lose-lose" situation.

Reconciliation is going to be difficult after assassinating Bin-Laden. Don't get me wrong as I think he is a mass murderer who did not deserve mercy. But many others, millions in fact will see and feel much differently about this and they will remain our enemies.

So much of the terror in the world is supported and paid for by the Saudis. If we don't make it clear to them it can't be tolerated it will never stop.

A little backbone from our Nato allies would go a long way too but they need Saudi oil as badly as we do so heads will continue to look the other way as oil companies dictate geo-politcal realities based on profits.

Revenge can feel sweet to some but a more harmonius world would feel even sweeter to me.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I have to say... I am not really a conspiracy theorist but... well... honestly, the whole "burial at sea" is completely fishy (no pun intended) to me. In fact, it seems Obama's words were oh so carefully chosen last night - he said "we have custody of the body now" - which might have been true at that particular moment. Seems like even the timing of the announcement was such as to avoid the whole burial of the body issue.

To be honest, I do not really believe that Bin Laden was killed yesterday. I do believe that there was a raid which killed some top Al Queda officials. I also believe that Bin Laden is dead - except that honestly I believe he's been dead for years. As of right now, I haven't seen anything to dissuade me.

But many others, millions in fact will see and feel much differently about this and they will remain our enemies.
Absolutely. But those who see him as a hero will always "remain our enemies" no matter what we do. There can be dialog and compromise with those who are "on the fence", yes, I am as much a believer in diplomacy as the next gal - but with some people, unfortunately, the best you can do is limiting their opportunities to do you harm.

You know, this reminds me of an old Israeli joke.
Arafat goes to a fortune teller to ask "When will I die?". The fortune teller looks into her crystal ball, her eyes cloud over, and she says, "Oh, I see it! I see it! You'll die on a big Jewish holiday!". "Which one?" "Any day you die will be a big Jewish holiday!"

Last edited:

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice

Well said. And it's sad, yet understandable, that we will never know the names of the brave guys who successfully carried out this operation.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have to say... I am not really a conspiracy theorist but... well... honestly, the whole "burial at sea" is completely fishy (no pun intended) to me. In fact, it seems Obama's words were oh so carefully chosen last night - he said "we have custody of the body now" - which might have been true at that particular moment. Seems like even the timing of the announcement was such as to avoid the whole burial of the body issue.

To be honest, I do not really believe that Bin Laden was killed yesterday. I do believe that there was a raid which killed some top Al Queda officials. I also believe that Bin Laden is dead - except that honestly I believe he's been dead for years. As of right now, I haven't seen anything to dissuade me.

Absolutely. But those who see him as a hero will always "remain our enemies" no matter what we do. There can be dialog and compromise with those who are "on the fence", yes, I am as much a believer in diplomacy as the next gal - but with some people, unfortunately, the best you can do is limiting their opportunities to do you harm.

Arafat goes to a fortune teller to ask "When will I die?". The fortune teller looks into her crystal ball, her eyes cloud over, and she says, "Oh, I see it! I see it! You'll die on a big Jewish holiday!". "Which one?" "Any day you die will be a big Jewish holiday!"

couldn't agree with you more on all accounts.

Scrooge - we'll learn their names like we're learning names of heroes in WW2 and the Korean War... when they are old and grey (and so are we) when it's thought that it will be safe to do so.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I heard on the radio this morning that the burial was done so that they didn't have to give it to his people to make a hero out of him. They have his DNA.

Love it!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I heard on the radio this morning that the burial was done so that they didn't have to give it to his people to make a hero out of him. They have his DNA.
Yes, I did hear this. Is it plausible? Well, yes; our president is anything but stupid. It is just odd that the actions are the same as if it did not happen quite the way they say it did. I do actually believe that Bin Laden is indeed dead. DNA could have been taken from a corpse long ago dead.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I did hear this. Is it plausible? Well, yes; our president is anything but stupid. It is just odd that the actions are the same as if it did not happen quite the way they say it did. I do actually believe that Bin Laden is indeed dead. DNA could have been taken from a corpse long ago dead.

I understand where you're coming from Ptichka.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m kinda relieved on one side they found him and this is over, but violence brings more violence so I feel this will make things worse internationally. So no, I m not proud of anyone who killed Landen neither more calm now he is dead, cause i believe there are more than one people responsible for the mess that is happening in the world. Last night i was coming back and in the airport it was so much security and scrunitizing, i didnt know yet what happened, but I ve never seen such before, and today they sent a terror msg in the greek embassy in brussels, I dont like living in that fear.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
what a sad, beautiful, chilling photo.

Exactly the feelings I had. I was reminded of the lone fireman on the bench (who believed his wife had died in the towers, but thankfully[?] she was at home worried he had perished) with his head in his hands and the devastation all around. What a difference a decade makes.

Seniorita - the men who went in after Osama had a job to do, and they were willing to sacrifice their lives for the cause. No, killing Osama is not going to solve the World's problems, and yes because of it our danger level is higher -for now- I wish that we could have brought him to justice peacefully, but even in that there would be the same amount of fear behind it. There was no easy answer. I may not agree with 99.99999999...% of President B.H. Obama's policies/decisions, but I am amazed and commend him for taking action (if, in fact, it happened as he says it did. The more the story changes the more I'm inclined to be like Ptichka.)

This has been longer than 10 years coming. He was becoming a target during the Clinton era, he succeeded in his attack against the US during Bush's presidency only to be forced into hiding. We believed him to be cowering in a cave when apparently he was sitting in the lap of luxury in a well guarded mansion. Obama's phone call was the final nail in his coffin. It took three commander in chiefs to take this terrorist down. His followers will not just give up now that he's gone. He's been more of a figure head for their troops since 911, others have called the shots. It's clean up duty now. I don't know why the media was saying it's over last night - it's far from over.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What a great, intelligent leader Obama is!:thumbsup: US should be proud of their president! This has raised my admiration for him as a leader.

The justice is done!:yes:

Last edited: