Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Bin Laden killed

  1. #16
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    Yes, I did hear this. Is it plausible? Well, yes; our president is anything but stupid. It is just odd that the actions are the same as if it did not happen quite the way they say it did. I do actually believe that Bin Laden is indeed dead. DNA could have been taken from a corpse long ago dead.
    I understand where you're coming from Ptichka.

  2. #17
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    no doubt there will be. those that think the war is over are fooling themselves (yeah I'm looking straight at DC and the media).


    I love this photo, though - http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...3-custom11.jpg
    what a sad, beautiful, chilling photo.

  3. #18
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    I m kinda relieved on one side they found him and this is over, but violence brings more violence so I feel this will make things worse internationally. So no, I m not proud of anyone who killed Landen neither more calm now he is dead, cause i believe there are more than one people responsible for the mess that is happening in the world. Last night i was coming back and in the airport it was so much security and scrunitizing, i didnt know yet what happened, but I ve never seen such before, and today they sent a terror msg in the greek embassy in brussels, I dont like living in that fear.

  4. #19
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    what a sad, beautiful, chilling photo.
    Exactly the feelings I had. I was reminded of the lone fireman on the bench (who believed his wife had died in the towers, but thankfully[?] she was at home worried he had perished) with his head in his hands and the devastation all around. What a difference a decade makes.


    Seniorita - the men who went in after Osama had a job to do, and they were willing to sacrifice their lives for the cause. No, killing Osama is not going to solve the World's problems, and yes because of it our danger level is higher -for now- I wish that we could have brought him to justice peacefully, but even in that there would be the same amount of fear behind it. There was no easy answer. I may not agree with 99.99999999...% of President B.H. Obama's policies/decisions, but I am amazed and commend him for taking action (if, in fact, it happened as he says it did. The more the story changes the more I'm inclined to be like Ptichka.)

    This has been longer than 10 years coming. He was becoming a target during the Clinton era, he succeeded in his attack against the US during Bush's presidency only to be forced into hiding. We believed him to be cowering in a cave when apparently he was sitting in the lap of luxury in a well guarded mansion. Obama's phone call was the final nail in his coffin. It took three commander in chiefs to take this terrorist down. His followers will not just give up now that he's gone. He's been more of a figure head for their troops since 911, others have called the shots. It's clean up duty now. I don't know why the media was saying it's over last night - it's far from over.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    What a great, intelligent leader Obama is! US should be proud of their president! This has raised my admiration for him as a leader.

    The justice is done!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-03-2011 at 08:03 AM.

  6. #21
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    What a great, intellegent leader Obama is! US should be proud of their president! This has raised my admiration for him as a leader.
    I fail to see how this one thing puts him above the men who had the seat before him. He took a phone call and said go ahead. It doesn't take a genius to know that's the option he needed to take. This was not just his effort. The CIA, Special Ops, Intel Reports all contributed greatly to this victory.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I fail to see how this one thing puts him above the men who had the seat before him. He took a phone call and said go ahead. It doesn't take a genius to know that's the option he needed to take. This was not just his effort. The CIA, Special Ops, Intel Reports all contributed greatly to this victory.
    Of course, Bush decided to start Afghan fight. Obama continued. I know there are hundreds of thousands of people doing detail jobs. But Obama made critical decision and lead to the success. That was not the only option. There were three options on the table with 50 -50 opinions. He could have put it off and waited for more infos. I think it helped by his genius-like leadership and a bit luck.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,456
    I would also like to point out that this risky venture could have gone another way. In 1980, Carter sent a team into Iran to rescue the hostages. The mission went wrong in every possible way and was aborted. One helicopter crashed into a transport aircraft inside Iran, with those aboard killed. The hostages were then scattered across Iran to make another rescue attempt impossible.

    The failure of that mission led to many changes, including more intense training and greater cooperation among agencies. But it was a debacle that certainly helped to bring down Jimmy Carter's administration. He gave the order to start the mission, and he gave the order to abort it.

    So a mission like this isn't a given. It's high risk for the people taking part and (less physically so) for the planners and the President setting it into motion. It takes a lot of skill and judgment and a cool head from the bottom up and from the top down. This time around, Obama could have decided to go after Bin Laden with an aerial drone, which would have been safer and as effective but which would have killed people in the area and not netted the body (or the computers and equipment the forces found in the house). He went for the riskier choice. He does deserve some credit for that. It wasn't just a rubber stamp on his part.

    I'd also like to point out that the plan involved respectful treatment (as far as was possible) of Bin Laden's body. They buried him within 24 hours, I think, as is Muslim custom. They had a ceremony involving a native speaker of Arabic. The only thing they could not do was inter him on land, because it would have made his body available for followers to take at some future time and create a shrine around. That too took mature thinking and foresight. I don't know which person in the hierarchy of command made those choices, but they were good choices, both clever and ethical.

    I'm sure George W. Bush would have been glad for the opportunity to be in charge on the day this mission was carried out, and so would John McCain. I would have been equally impressed with either of those two men if the circumstances had turned out that way. So I am impressed with Obama.
    Last edited by Olympia; 05-04-2011 at 11:13 AM.

  9. #24
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,651
    Excellent points Olympia.

    Bluebonnet, I understand your comments come from a kind of jubilation. It's like working in a corporation. No matter how hard I work, my supervisor or the president of the company takes all the credit.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Excellent points Olympia.

    Bluebonnet, I understand your comments come from a kind of jubilation. It's like working in a corporation. No matter how hard I work, my supervisor or the president of the company takes all the credit.
    I agree.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    2,787
    While I'm happy that they finally took this guy out, I have the feeling that whatever is left of Al Qaeda will be giving serious consideration to exacting revenge on any and all Americans, no matter where they are in the world. The mastermind of their organization may be communing with the fishes at the bottom of the ocean but those left behind, and assuming charge over that organization, will be out for any American's blood. This is not over by any means, IMO.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bead View Post
    While I'm happy that they finally took this guy out, I have the feeling that whatever is left of Al Qaeda will be giving serious consideration to exacting revenge on any and all Americans, no matter where they are in the world. The mastermind of their organization may be communing with the fishes at the bottom of the ocean but those left behind, and assuming charge over that organization, will be out for any American's blood. This is not over by any means, IMO.
    That is certainly true, and it is scary. At first, my thought was, oh why did the U.S. stir the hornet's nest like this? But these guys were already after us. They were after us last year and tried to plant something in Times Square. They were after us a few years ago, with the guy who wore altered underwear onto a plane in Detroit. (By the way, the Detroit area has the largest Arab and Muslim population in the U.S., so this group was not exactly worrying about whom they would hurt with that action.) This group was after us to get revenge because of Iraq. They were after us to get revenge because of Afghanistan. They were after us to get revenge because of Palestine. And get this--this group was originally after us because we went into Afghanistan in 1980--on their side! We aided tribesmen who were fighting the Soviets at that time. So it's not as if we would have escaped their notice by not going after Bin Laden. The difference is, now we have their computers.
    Last edited by Olympia; 05-05-2011 at 07:01 AM.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I would also like to point out that this risky venture could have gone another way. In 1980, Carter sent a team into Iran to rescue the hostages. The mission went wrong in every possible way and was aborted. One helicopter crashed into a transport aircraft inside Iran, with those aboard killed. The hostages were then scattered across Iran to make another rescue attempt impossible.

    The failure of that mission led to many changes, including more intense training and greater cooperation among agencies. But it was a debacle that certainly helped to bring down Jimmy Carter's administration. He gave the order to start the mission, and he gave the order to abort it.

    So a mission like this isn't a given. It's high risk for the people taking part and (less physically so) for the planners and the President setting it into motion. It takes a lot of skill and judgment and a cool head from the bottom up and from the top down. This time around, Obama could have decided to go after Bin Laden with an aerial drone, which would have been safer and as effective but which would have killed people in the area and not netted the body (or the computers and equipment the forces found in the house). He went for the riskier choice. He does deserve some credit for that. It wasn't just a rubber stamp on his part.

    I'd also like to point out that the plan involved respectful treatment (as far as was possible) of Bin Laden's body. They buried him within 24 hours, I think, as is Muslim custom. They had a ceremony involving a native speaker of Arabic. The only thing they could not do was inter him on land, because it would have made his body available for followers to take at some future time and create a shrine around. That too took mature thinking and foresight. I don't know which person in the hierarchy of command made those choices, but they were good choices, both clever and ethical.

    I'm sure George W. Bush would have been glad for the opportunity to be in charge on the day this mission was carried out, and so would John McCain. I would have been equally impressed with either of those two men if the circumstances had turned out that way. So I am impressed with Obama.
    It's true but for the reasons I can't explain, (I don't know what Bush would decide in the same situation.) seeing McCain's presidential campaign, I just can't imagine McCain does it. It required not only courage, but also cool head and intellectual sharpness. ...Enough praise for Obama from me. (On the other hand, I couldn't understand Obama's rationals behind Libya intervention.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Excellent points Olympia.

    Bluebonnet, I understand your comments come from a kind of jubilation. It's like working in a corporation. No matter how hard I work, my supervisor or the president of the company takes all the credit.
    This is also true.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    816
    Among the 79 commandos involved in Operation Neptune Spear that resulted in Osama bin Laden's killing, there was one dog -- the elite of the four-legged variety.

    Here's a picture of how our solders and canine friends fight war on terror side by side. I thought this was a particuarly moving pictur:
    http://www.defense.gov/dodcmsshare/n...-RR679-717.jpg.

    If you are interested, you can read a wonderful story of the history of "War Dog" by following: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...r_dog?page=0,0.

    Meanwhile, I pray that I don't hear from PETA.

  15. #30
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    I have to say... I am not really a conspiracy theorist but... well... honestly, the whole "burial at sea" is completely fishy (no pun intended) to me. In fact, it seems Obama's words were oh so carefully chosen last night - he said "we have custody of the body now" - which might have been true at that particular moment. Seems like even the timing of the announcement was such as to avoid the whole burial of the body issue.

    To be honest, I do not really believe that Bin Laden was killed yesterday. I do believe that there was a raid which killed some top Al Queda officials. I also believe that Bin Laden is dead - except that honestly I believe he's been dead for years. As of right now, I haven't seen anything to dissuade me.


    "
    "Al-Qaida confirmed the killing of Osama bin Laden Friday and vowed revenge"

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110506/...laden_al_qaida

    Do you believe Al-Qaida is playing along with the USA on this and if so to what purpose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •