Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FAVORITE PROGRAMS for 2010-2011 Season

Custom Title
    Alissa Czisny's Nationals LP
    Carolina Kostner's GPF LP
    Yu-Na Kim's Worlds LP
    Karina Johnson's Worlds SP (Just for Final Fantasy)

Jason Brown's Nationals LP
    Nathan Chen's Nationals LP
    Takahiko Kozuka's Worlds LP
    Patrick Chan's Nationals LP
    Shawn Sawyer's Nationals LP
    Daisuke Takahashi's Worlds SP

Davis & White's Worlds LP
    Virtue & Moir's Worlds LP
    Shibutani & Shibutani's Nationals LP
    Pechalat & Bourzat's Europeans LP

Custom Title
    My favorites this season:
    Alissa's LP
    Davis & White's FD (especially at Worlds)
    Ryan Bradley's short at Nationals
    The Shibutani's FD
    W/P's SD
    Y/C's LP at Nationals
    P/B's FD

Banned
    Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS SP (this is my favorite program of this season)
    Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN SP
    Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN - love SP and LP
    Lubov ILIUSHECHKINA / Nodari MAISURADZE SP
    Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY LP (to watch it life at WCh was really amazing)
    Yu-Na KIM - SP
    Kiira KORPI - SP
    Carolina KOSTNER - LP at WCh
    Kanako MURAKAMI - SP
    Akiko SUZUKI - LP (my favorite)
    Michal BREZINA - SP
    Jeremy ABBOTT - LP
    Richard DORNBUSH - LP
    Peter LIEBERS - LP
    Nobunari ODA - SP
    Lynn KRIENGKRAIRUT / Logan GIULIETTI-SCHMITT -FD
    Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE - SD (best of the season)
    Zoe BLANC / Pierre-Loup BOUQUET - FD
    Louise WALDEN / Owen EDWARDS - FD
    Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND - FD
    Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI - FD
    Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT - SD
    Shibs - FD
    Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO - SD
    Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO - SD
    Evgenia KOSIGINA / Nikolai MOROSHKIN - FD
    Virue-Moir - SD (because if best waltz timing) and FD
    I think its too many? )) Yes///
    And this season i like some exibition programs
    Abbot, Kozuka and Chan made exibitions this year more funny to watch.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I forgot to mention that I absolutely love Mao's Ballade. This is probably my favorite program this season even though it's an exhibition.
    I agree. It's my favorite as well. Sigh, there hasn't been that many inspiring competitive programs this season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I forgot to mention that I absolutely love Mao's Ballade. This is probably my favorite program this season even though it's an exhibition.
    Me three! In terms of purity of skating and sheer beauty, I would even hazard to say that it is one of the best exhibition programs I have ever seen.

Unfortunately it also has the effect of highlighting how mediocre Mao's competition programs can be.

Custom Title
    DANCE:
    D/W's SD
    V/M'S SD and that FD!!!! (which I truly hope they will keep for next season; it was beyond outstanding, it just needs some more outings and maybe a bit more polish on the second half)
    Shibs FD
    P/B SD and FD
    W/P's SD (first SD that made me see the SD could be a wonderful thing; D/W's is even better but it wasn't very good at the start of the season) and FD
    I/K FD
    R/T SD (Lovely and charming interpretation, and a really nice SD built around the pattern, like D/W. Someone open up a post-season thread about the SD, already!)

PAIRS:
    V/T SP (the story behind it makes me so happy for and proud of Maksim; I think it's terrific that he is so invested in the artistic side of skating and wanted to skate to it for years)
    K/S LP
    I/M SP (it was cheesy, but cute and it worked for them)
    B/L SP (as far as I'm concerned they can keep it forever)
    P/T SP
    S/S SP and LP (both of which NEED to come back as exhibition programs occasionally, especially Pink Panther)
    Y/C LP (their split makes me really sad, but at least there's still Youtube; I hope that whatever went down between the two of them, they're both proud of their win and Nationals and this program)

LADIES:
    Alissa LP
    Mao LP
    Yuna SP and LP (I hope she keeps them both if she competes next season)
    Adelina SP (I started out hating it because I felt like she could never do Janet Lynn's version justice, but when I realized how completely different it was, I started to really love it on it's own merits. Plus I know some people really don't like the gloves/costume, but I thought it was adorable, charmingly youthful without being too cutesy, and this is probably the last season she can skate something like that and get away with it without being slammed as being "too immature")
    Kanako SP (Super cute and young, and not something she can get away with next season, but there's a place for that and she does it well)
    Elizaveta SP (Almost messy in places, and she needs a lot of polish, but I thought it suited her strengths very well, and I liked that a lot of the movements in the choreography really matched up with the style of the music. Wish they'd gone with a nice green-blue costume in the same cut, probably a similar shade to Joannie's last year.)
    Miki's SP
    Akiko LP (sob)

MEN
    Patrick SP & LP
    Daisuke SP & LP
    Takahiko LP
    Shawn LP (he can skate this for the rest of his life and I will gladly pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of driving to Canada to watch him do it)
    Armin SP and LP
    Nobunari SP (I want him to change the spins a bit and keep this for next season, because I think it's a really good vehicle for him, it's like exactly the direction I want him to take his skating in artistically: serious, determined, aggressive, warrior-like, strong Japanese influence. He can be good with light-hearted, comedic programs too, but the judges don't seem to take those seriously. He's never going to be a showman like Daisuke or a really lyrical skater, and sometimes he shuts down on the performance aspect when he's nervous, so I think programs that showcase his speed, energy, and amazing power are the way to go.)
    Tomas Verner LP (I feel like this was a really overlooked program, compared to how wonderful it is. Like Nobu's SP was for him, I think it was an amazing vehicle for all the best, most wonderful aspects of Tomas's skating, his charm, his beautiful basics, his musicality, how joyful his skating can be, without descending into being cheesy or silly. More like this next season! He should just do Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire's greatest hits from now on.)

PROGRAMS OF THE SEASON:
    Patrick's new POTO, Daisuke's Mambo, Mao's Ballade and Leibestraume, D/W La Traviata. Those are the ones I keep watching again and again and again. Honorable mention to Jeremy's LP as having the most amazing potential, and definitely deserving another season to see it skated the way it was meant to be skated.
    Last edited by doubleflutz; 05-18-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Custom Title
    ^^ Do you mean Tomas Verner's SP? I agree his SP was great and suited him very well, but I found his MJ FS to be disjointed and a little boring, too many music cuts, didn't particularly play to his strengths.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    ^^ Do you mean Tomas Verner's SP? I agree his SP was great and suited him very well, but I found his MJ FS to be disjointed and a little boring, too many music cuts, didn't particularly play to his strengths.
    Oh! Yes. Gah, I can't believe I typoed that. Yeah, the MJ program was a disaster. And regardless of what you think of Florent's, I think Tomas's did not compare very well. He should have dumped it after the GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    Oh! Yes. Gah, I can't believe I typoed that. Yeah, the MJ program was a disaster. And regardless of what you think of Florent's, I think Tomas's did not compare very well. He should have dumped it after the GPF.
    Yeah, I agree. I was hoping he'd ditch it and bring back his tango FS from 08-09 as I thought that was a great program that he never performed to it's full potential. But oh well, he still redeemed himself this past season even with that trainwreck of a FS. I think his Louis Armstrong and "Sing, Sing, Sing" FS next season should be much better.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    that program as a hot mess. he should have changed it as soon as he saw Florent's who certainly stole all the thunder. Even without the comparison the choreography, music cuts and costume were very weak.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Mao's Ballade was the single most exquisite exhibition I've seen since the years of Kwan. I'm not really a fan of exhibitions in this COP era; they bore me to be honest and I usually don't bother watching them. Wholly uninspiring and unimaginative...but this was perfection. It highlighted every good quality of Mao: her gentleness, gracefulness, lines, extension, the floaty and balletic quality of her skating... Truly a masterpiece. Her LP to Libestraum; yet another sign of life in Lori's choreography. This was another program that highlighted Mao's wonderful features. It's the antipode of Bells and Masquerade; in other words, it was all Mao. Her performance at 4CC made this my favorite LP of the season...

I liked Yu-Na's Giselle but I wasn't blown away by it; nothing I hadn't seen before. Her Homage program..I can see how (if performed to the fullest) it would be a wonderful program for her. The choreography is rather pedestrian by Wilson's standards, but the program is driven more by the music and the feeling behind it rather than the steps. She was tight and not as free as she needed to be to really sell this program. If she comes back to compete, I really hope she sticks with it as her LP. It deserves to be presented again...

Hello Kitty on speed? I'll take it. I found Kanako's Jumpin Jack SP very refreshing. The whole package was completely age appropriate and it played to her youthful energy perfectly. It was fun and exciting; definitely a step up from the rest of the ho-hum crap people came up with this year. It was my favorite SP of the season. Best performance was at NHK...fresh out the gate!

I wasn't fond of either of Mirai's programs this season. However, she had two good performances this year (her SP at nationals and her LP at 4CC). When she's on, everything seems better...

Rachael's East of Eden goes against everything I know and believe (Commandment VI: iconic music of The Kwan shall not be used, reworked or, in general, effed with under any circumstance) but I think she did okay. It worked for her...until the step sequence. That's where she lost me. It looked like she was having a fit and that kinda killed the rest of it for me. Lori knew what she was doing. East of Eden carries itself b/c it's such a BIG piece of music. All Rachael had to do was start when the music started and end when it ended...the music takes care of the rest. Well played Lori, well played...

Both of Carolina's programs were well done this year. Very suited to her and she presented them well...kudos.

Alena Leonova isn't my cup of tea, but her LP performance at worlds was very energetic and genuine. Sad that, IMO, she had the stand out performance of the night...

So for me:
    SP: Kanako's Jumpin Jack
    LP: Mao's Libestraum
    Exhibition: Mao's Ballade

Fingers crossed next year will be better...please be better!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3