Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Who should USFS select for Skate America?

Custom Title
    Sometimes I think the ISU gets arithmetic lessons from Abbott and Costello.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    More like talking Barbie - didn't it used to say "Math is hard!"

Medalist
    Is the US ever going to announce the 2011 2012 A B C teams ? I would think there should be some heavy moving around in Dance and Ladies. A few changes in Dance recently should make things interesting, Will Samuelson & Bates be able to keep their team A standing?

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    It's not the arithmetic, its the grammar. It is still not clear whether the language "higher then the top six" means

(a) higher than all of the tops six,

(b) higher than some of the top six, or

(c) higher than the particular skater among the top six who withdraws, creating the vacancy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cotillion View Post
    Is the US ever going to announce the 2011 2012 A B C teams ? I would think there should be some heavy moving around in Dance and Ladies. A few changes in Dance recently should make things interesting, Will Samuelson & Bates be able to keep their team A standing?
    No, unfortunately, because Samuelson/Bates were not able to compete all season due to his injury. As a result, C-1 is the highest envelope in which they can be placed based on the published envelope criteria.

I'm not going to start a separate thread in The Edge because the 2011-12 U.S. team envelopes have not been officially announced by USFS yet (should be coming soon, maybe next week sometime?), but here is my UNOFFICIAL compilation of projected 2011-12 Team A-C envelopes after applying all the criteria through 2011 Worlds: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2...elopes-so-far/

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    ^^^At least the tennis federation never had to have suffered from earthquakes, a tsunami, and nuclear meltdown threats. ISU is a minor victim of these disasters relatively speaking. It is a rough time to get over, and to rebuild from. After all, we managed to have enjoyed a successful World Championships.
    And many the posters worried more about the Worlds than Japan. Yes they did. Screaming like it was the ISU for not giving them instant pleasure without any knowledge of the logistics in running a championship in any sport. sacre coeur!

The BigSix can relax. It's the rest of the Feds and their skaters that may or may not make the GPs

Since each of the Seeded Skaters get 3 events which will knock off a peon from the podium, how do they choose the 5 skaters to be in an event or does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The BigSix can relax. It's the rest of the Feds and their skaters that may or may not make the GPs

Since each of the Seeded Skaters get 3 events which will knock off a peon from the podium, how do they choose the 5 skaters to be in an event or does it matter?
    If we consider the big picture it really doesn't matter. Not in the USA anyway.

Even sending a skater to Worlds with a broken leg does not make a ripple in the USA.

But just to set the record straight for mathman I looked up the mission statement for the Intl Committee of US Skating.

Contrary to much that has been posted at GS it says the goal of US Skating is "to win as many Intl medals as possible."

It also says a goal of US Skating is "to secure as many berths as possible for TEAM USA."

Yes, it says "Team USA " as opposed to "team Flatt" or any other individual skater/team and it seems hard to deny that US Skating considers the skaters it selects for major ISU competitions as anything less than Team USA.

The Intl committee was surely kept in the dark over the nature of Flatt's injury and Carroll had more than one good reason to complain about their actions.

It is "Team USA" at Intl events and not about "Rachael Flatt" the individual.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-22-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    But just to set the record straight for mathman and gkelly I looked up the mission statement for the Intl Committee of US Skating.

Contrary to everything that has been posted at GS it says the goal of US Skating is "to win as many Intl medals as possible."
    Now hold on just a sec, H.

I note that you did not quote even the whole sentence, nor provide a link so that GS readers can check it out for themselves.

Here is the actual sentence from the mission statement of the USFSA (my bold).

The mission of the International Committee is: to select the U.S. Figure Skating Team that wins the maximum number of international medals and berths possible by strategically providing experience to qualified members of the U.S. Figure Skating Team, and by identifying and supporting the best qualified future prospects.
    Ley me say it again. The means by which the International Committee carries out its mandate to win as many medals as possible is to provide experience to team menbers and to identify and support future prospects.

Here is the link, in case people wants to read and interpret the statement for themselves.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...dership&id=846

And now here is the link to the governing Mission Statement of the United States Figure Association as a whole.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=71

I will leave it to the reader to form his or her own impression about what the purpose and priorities of the organization are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Now hold on just a sec, H.

I note that you did not quote even the whole sentence, nor provide a link so that GS readers can check it out for themselves.

Here is the actual sentence from the mission statement of the USFSA (my bold).

Ley me say it again. The means by which the International Committee carries out its mandate to win as many medals as possible is to provide experience to team menbers and to identify and support future prospects.

Here is the link, in case people wants to read and interpret the statement for themselves.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...dership&id=846

And now here is the link to the governing Mission Statement of the United States Figure Association as a whole.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=71

I will leave it to the reader to form his or her own impression about what the purpose and priorities of the organization are.
    It seems you overlooked the goals of the Intl committee, with many posts saying something completely different.

Hold on yourslf, as you have mislead posters here for quite a while by stating what feels like your OWN goals for US Skating.

The official mission statement is nothing like what you have written before.

US Skatings exists for more than loosley supervising a large federation.

The statement is clear and it is about winning medals and berths.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-22-2011 at 05:16 AM.

I will let GS members read the mission statement for themselves and decide whose point of view most accurately reflects its content.

To me, it asserts that the way to ensure the biggest haul of medals is to provide promising skaters with developmental support and opportunities for competitive experience.

More generally, this front page "About Us" statement leaves little doubt as to what the overarching purpose and goals of the Association are.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp

I will let GS members read the mission statement for themselves and decide whose point of view most accurately reflects its content.

To me, it asserts that the way to ensure the biggest haul of medals is to provide promising skaters with developmental support and opportunities for competitive experience.

More generally, this front page "About Us" statement leaves little doubt as to what the overarching purpose and goals of the Association are.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp
    Sorry, but I am talking about the Intl committee and not the rules for novices, skating adults or anything else.

How clear does it have to be to you when it says "the goal is to win Intl medals and as many berths as possible??
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-22-2011 at 05:19 AM.

Quoting selectively is a common trick, but at least you should do readers of the forum the courtesy of quoting the whole sentence.

Quoting selectively is a common trick, but at least you should do readers of the forum the courtesy of quoting the whole sentence.

Here you go:

MISSION

"The mission of the International Committee is: to select the U.S. Figure Skating Team that wins the maximum number of international medals and berths possible by strategically providing experience to qualified members of the U.S. Figure Skating Team, and by identifying and supporting the best qualified future prospects."

"The International Committee is also responsible for the approval of criteria used to select athletes to the team envelopes."

"A team envelope consists of athletes (singles, pairs and dance) as having competitive potential to win medals in international, world and Olympic competition."
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-22-2011 at 05:30 AM.

The members of this forum can read. Either give a link or quote the mission statement in full and without embellishment and let people decide for themselves.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast