Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Who should USFS select for Skate America?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Thanks. It's game theory which I enjoy.
    How about redoing that post with the limited rosters?

Custom Title
    I'm working on the one for pairs, but I'll do a new ladies one later.
    Last edited by ImaginaryPogue; 05-05-2011 at 10:58 PM.

For some, watching the GPs is high level international competition regardless of early in the season nonsense. For others, it is only an entertainment looking for that "art" that gets emotional for some viewers.

IP did remarkable work on analyzing the possible entrants in this highly competitive series. It in itself is worthy of debate. However, for the SA only, and avoiding loss of revenue, it's easy to see: Czisny, Ashley and Gao. Although Zhang is improving, we can watch her in an earlier comp like Ashton to check her out. I hope she does make an appearance before GP time. We don't know what Flatt plans are. I haven't a clue about Meissner, Gilles, and any Junior skater that might make an appearance in the GPs.

Custom Title
    I think you have forgotten about Agnes Zawadzki, who has won two JW medals and finished 4th in one of her GPs last season. She was also 4th at Nationals, right behind Nagasu. With the limited spots available, she may not get two invitations this year, and she deserves a host spot.

Wagner was 6th at Nationals, and her skating tailed off quite a bit this past season, with far too many downgrades due to doublefooting jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    With the limited spots available, [Agnes Zawadski] may not get two invitations this year, and she deserves a host spot.
    To me, that's a huge consideration.

With the new rules (extra opprtunities for the top skaters and fewer skaters in all), we can expect three consequences. Three people in each discipline will be deprived of bronze medals, some middle-of-the-pack skaters will not get two assignments, and some up-and-comers won't get any.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    I don't expect to see Kim, Ando, nor Kostner during the GP this coming season. I think Kim and Ando will both take the year off and isn't Kostner scheduled to have surgery in the off-season? I seriously don't think she will be ready to compete in the fall, but may can return in time for Europeans.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 05-07-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I think you have forgotten about Agnes Zawadzki, who has won two JW medals and finished 4th in one of her GPs last season. She was also 4th at Nationals, right behind Nagasu. With the limited spots available, she may not get two invitations this year, and she deserves a host spot.

Wagner was 6th at Nationals, and her skating tailed off quite a bit this past season, with far too many downgrades due to doublefooting jumps.
    Oops. I did forget Agnes. I just don't like pitting home town competitors against each other. Agnes will have enough to take care of in other GPs. I put Gao and Wagner in there to give Alissa a fighting chance for gaining places credited for the Final. Alissa, I am sure will be facing two top Ladies from elsewhere. I don't think country Nationals carry that much weight in international competitions. However, if Agnes is factored out of two slots, then she should replace Wagner at SA in my selection.

I am a believer in the Sport and not as an Entertainment for a Sunday Afternoon. I may be wrong but the scrutiny of getting to the Finals is paramount, and a fourth place credit is not likely to make it. I am sure France will not put Amodio in their Host GP
    and also Joubert unless they are sure the skaters come out gold and silver.

I'm also not aware what the plan is on filling slots for the individual GPs after the direct contestants take place. Will the Invitations still be used in accordance with the ISU listings? There are soo many US skaters who will not get invitations. Where does Zhang stand.

Custom Title
    Caroline Zhang is not eligible for the GP because her score is below the minimum, based on 66.6% of the top Seasons Best score. So she can't get any event except a SA host pick. But considering that she was 12th at US Nationals and had 7th and 9th place finishes at the GP last season, I can see no reason why the US should give her one of the host picks spots.

The host spots will be extremely valuable this year, given the smaller fields. One can not assume that those outside the top 12 at Worlds will get two GP invitations. With a possibility of half of the roster going to the top 12 at Worlds, the host picks (especially for singles) should go to those who have the best shot at making the GPF.

Czisny and Flatt are already assured of getting two assignments each, since Czisny is seeded and Flatt finished top 12. Nagasu should get two invitations because of her GP and 4CC medals and her high positions on both ISU ranking (#12) and SBU (#4) lists. The US should pick Czisny as a seed and two other ladies who are not assured of two spots. I'd suggest Gao and Zawadzki as two promising ladies for the future.

Custom Title
    I hope they don't waste giving Zhang or Gillies a GP assignment.

IMHO Skate America really needs Mirai if they are going to sell NBC on some kind of television deal, maybe packaging Skate America and U.S. Nationals together like they did in the 2009-2010 season.

Alissa, the beautiful but unpredictable U.S. Champion coming off her best year ever in international competition. Mirai -- AKA "The Future" -- out for revenge after being left off the team last year in a controversial decision. But wait! Here comes Agnes!

Or will they all be crushed by World Champion Miki Ando, or Olympic champion Yu-na Kim, or European champion Carolina Kostner? Tune in tomorrow for the exciting Round One as the International Skating union kicks off its new season!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    IMHO Skate America really needs Mirai if they are going to sell NBC on some kind of television deal, maybe packaging Skate America and U.S. Nationals together like they did in the 2009-2010 season.

Alissa, the beautiful but unpredictable U.S. Champion coming off her best year ever in international competition. Mirai -- AKA "The Future" -- out for revenge after being left off the team last year in a controversial decision. But wait! Here comes Agnes!

Or will they all be crushed by World Champion Miki Ando, or Olympic champion Yu-na Kim, or European champion Carolina Kostner? Tune in tomorrow for the exciting Round One as the International Skating union kicks off its new season!
    A much better storyline than "Can full-time Stanford student Rachael Flatt balance skating and studies and finaly win SA in her 10th try

I like the idea of playing up Alissa's consistency and Mirai's revenge and mercifully giving Flatt's pageant-like academic credentials a break already.

A replay of Carroll's outburst (many to choose from) could add a strong soap opera effect so popular with the non-NFL watching Sunday afternoon TV viewers.

This message was brought to you by the Save Skate America Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I would agree with that if there was some sort of TV deal, but we have to face the facts that Figure Skating has moved away from prime network showings. Even ABC/ESPN saw that coming when we didn't. As for Unisport, which is not carried totally, they will give an abridged version of the Results. If you like the Sport as I do and want to see it all, hopefully there will be a computer run.

If you want a 3 way battle of the top US Ladies, then you have to sit back and expect one or more likely, two Ladies will not be in the finals. However, you will have your Sunday afternoon entertainment. Yuna is training quite close to the venue, and Carolina likes America, so Mirai and Alissa will be battling for a 3rd place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    This message was brought to you by the Save Skate America Committee.
    This is how I look at it.

What do successful sports organizations have to sell? NFL football offers a regular season of 512 games. Most are sold out and almost all are shown on television at least regionally. Then there are the playoffs culminating in the grand pooh-bah, the National Championship, aka the super bowl, which rakes in billions.

Major League Baseball has a regular season of 4860 games , followed by playoffs and the misnamed “World” Series. Actually, it is the U.S. National Championship (sorry, Toronto Blue Jays. )

Well, figure skating is not popular enough to hold four thousand moneymaking competitions per season. The USFSA has only two events to sell, Skate America and the National Championship. IMHO they should sell them like crazy.

Skate America should feature the best the United States has to offer against the strongest international stars that we can attract. What is the point of having a competition at all if you don’t bring your best?.

Yes, there are also international competitions, like Worlds, etc. But these do not fall within the purview of the USFSA and its marketing team.

I have to question the need to showcase the best of America's Lady skaters. Yes it will be a nice Sunday afternoon for those fans to see it somewhere. But is it Sport or Marketing that we are interested in? The Nationals of any country are a nice home-town event to take the kiddies to see figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Yuna is training quite close to the venue, and Carolina likes America, so Mirai and Alissa will be battling for a 3rd place.
    I don't look at it that way. No guts no glory. If Czisny and Nagasu are crying in their beer about having to skate against Kim and Kostner, then competitive sports is not for them and they should go into another line of work.

By the way, at last year's Skate America Rachael Flatt beat both Carolina Kostner and Yu-na Kim in the long program.

"At the best she knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and at the worst, if she fails, at least she fails while daring greatly. So that her place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast