Who should USFS select for Skate America? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Who should USFS select for Skate America?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Not to mention without decent marketing there is no sport, period.

I would not want to risk further deteriortation of Skate America just to get Ashley or Jeremy into the GPF.

Show me a benefit to US Skating and I will go along with the GP placement "strategy".

Basically I agree with mathman and trying to avoid competition to make it to a final (that carries little importance) seems unsporting.

This is a good mentality. For years, Irina Slutskaya used to ask her federation to specifically send her to Skate Canada so she would face Michelle Kwan early in the season.

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is a good mentality. For years, Irina Slutskaya used to ask her federation to specifically send her to Skate Canada so she would face Michelle Kwan early in the season.

It feels like today's skating world can't understand such a sporting mentality.

Irina wanted to be the best and to do that she knew she had to beat the best and not hide from her biggest rival.
Irina also knew her legacy would come down to Euro titles, WC medals and Olympic medals.

I remember how many WC's Irina won and the color of her two Olympic medals. She won many Euro chanpionships and Natl titles.

I really forget her GP record but there is only so much I can remember and try to hold on to the important rather than the trivial.

What would ISU do today with a skater as competitive as Irina?
I guess they would prevent her from facing her chief rival in the GP "for the good of the sport." :think: :disapp:

I really forget her GP record but there is only so much I can remember and try to hold on to the important rather than the trivial.

Give the Grand Prix a chance. :) Europeans and Worlds have been going on for a century. They have had a chance to build up a history and tradition. Neither was a big deal overnight.

Unless figure skating disappears altogether, which it might, I think there is a good chance that the Grand Prix will grow in prestige.

When it does, we will look back on Irna Slutskaya as the all-time legendary Grand Prix skater. She won thirteen individual events and four Grand Prix finals in her career. :clap: Her eighteen month Grand Prix blitz from the beginning of the 2004-05 season to the middle of 2005-06, where she won everything in sight, setting new world records left and right, is one of the most amazing runs in figure skating history. :yes:

Finally the Irina Express was stopped in its tracks by Mighty Mao ("Here...I come to save the day!!") at the 2005 Grand Prix Final. But what a ride it was!

janetfan

Match Penalty
Give the Grand Prix a chance. :) Europeans and Worlds have been going on for a century. They have had a chance to build up a history and tradition. Neither was a big deal overnight.

Unless figure skating disappears altogether, which it might, I think there is a good chance that the Grand Prix will grow in prestige.

When it does, we will look back on Irna Slutskaya as the all-time legendary Grand Prix skater. She won thirteen individual events and four Grand Prix finals in her career. :clap: Her eighteen month Grand Prix blitz from the beginning of the 2004-05 season to the middle of 2005-06, where she won everything in sight, setting new world records left and right, is one of the most amazing runs in figure skating history. :yes:

Finally the Irina Express was stopped in its tracks by Mighty Mao ("Here...I come to save the day!!") at the 2005 Grand Prix Final. But what a ride it was!

Thanks for reminding me of Irina's accomplishments. :)
Still I remember she cried on the podium in Torino. I doubt that she cried at the GPF, or even trained to be in peak condition with a much more important Olympic competition only a few weeks away.

As to the GP, I would say it is always easier to beat such a small field especially when the pressure is not nearly as great.

Sometimes it feels like Yuna wins GP's just by showing up. That has not been the case at Worlds.

I will give it all the time it needs and think Speedy letting the top skaters do three events shows that the GP's could benefit by being more competitive.

Yuna on an off night at SA beating Flatt is not the same as facing the best skaters at Worlds.

Last edited:
That's a good question.

The wording seems kind of ambiguous. It says a skater whose season best is "equal to or better than the top six." Does that mean equal to or better than all of the top six, or equal to or better than any one of the top six?

NMURA

Medalist
I think Makarova becomes a seeded skater, and Nagasu takes the last place of two spots guaranteed skaters (not Phaneuf).

^ But read 2.1 (d) on last year's announcement, as linked by npavel.

Assuming that the rules will be the same in 2011-2012, doesn't Mirai fall into category (d), putting her ahead of skaters in category (e) (7th through 12th at wolrlds)?

Or is she required to have a season's best better than everybody in the top six in order to qualify under section (d)?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nagasu could have become a seeded skater without having competed at Worlds if she had a Seasons Best Score "equal to or greater than" Yu Na's. But Mirai's SB score is about 5 points lower than Yu Na's, so she doesn't get seeded status. If Kim withdraws from the GP prior to or at the ISU meeting, Makarova becomes seeded.

But if Kim is assigned GP events and later on withdraws, no one moves up to seeded status.

^ So are you saying that the language "equal to or better than the top six from the ISU Worlds Championships" means "equal to or greater than the season's best score of the particular skater from the top six who withdraws?"

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Marley and Brubaker get picked for pairs, where they just miss eligibility for getting GP assignments the regular way. With all the top pair teams breaking up, they really deserve to get the chance to compete on the GP circuit this season!

npavel

On the Ice
Nagasu could have become a seeded skater without having competed at Worlds if she had a Seasons Best Score "equal to or greater than" Yu Na's. But Mirai's SB score is about 5 points lower than Yu Na's, so she doesn't get seeded status. If Kim withdraws from the GP prior to or at the ISU meeting, Makarova becomes seeded.

But if Kim is assigned GP events and later on withdraws, no one moves up to seeded status.
No, Nagasu become a seeded skater as she has a season best highter than the seasons best of the 6 worlds best skaters, that means better than the seasons best of Miki, YuNa, Carolina, Alena, Alissa and Mao. Her seasons best is higher than Carolinas, Alenas and Alissas, so she is a seeded skater as YuNa has already announced she will not partecipate to GP and not Makarova who is in 7th place.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
No, Nagasu become a seeded skater as she has a season best highter than the seasons best of the 6 worlds best skaters, that means better than the seasons best of Miki, YuNa, Carolina, Alena, Alissa and Mao. Her seasons best is higher than Carolinas, Alenas and Alissas, so she is a seeded skater as YuNa has already announced she will not partecipate to GP and not Makarova who is in 7th place.

Mirai's season best was 189.46 (4CC); Alissa's was 182.45 (Worlds); Kostner's was 184.68 (Worlds); Alena's was 183.92 (also at Worlds). Makarova's best is 167.22 (Worlds)...

cotillion

Rinkside
Is the US ever going to announce the 2011 2012 A B C teams ? I would think there should be some heavy moving around in Dance and Ladies. A few changes in Dance recently should make things interesting, Will Samuelson & Bates be able to keep their team A standing?

Sometimes I think the ISU gets arithmetic lessons from Abbott and Costello.

It's not the arithmetic, its the grammar. It is still not clear whether the language "higher then the top six" means

(a) higher than all of the tops six,

(b) higher than some of the top six, or

(c) higher than the particular skater among the top six who withdraws, creating the vacancy.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Is the US ever going to announce the 2011 2012 A B C teams ? I would think there should be some heavy moving around in Dance and Ladies. A few changes in Dance recently should make things interesting, Will Samuelson & Bates be able to keep their team A standing?
No, unfortunately, because Samuelson/Bates were not able to compete all season due to his injury. As a result, C-1 is the highest envelope in which they can be placed based on the published envelope criteria.

I'm not going to start a separate thread in The Edge because the 2011-12 U.S. team envelopes have not been officially announced by USFS yet (should be coming soon, maybe next week sometime?), but here is my UNOFFICIAL compilation of projected 2011-12 Team A-C envelopes after applying all the criteria through 2011 Worlds: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/projected-2011-12-u-s-team-envelopes-so-far/