Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Yuna the Enigma

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    Where have you been? The whole Orser-Yuna break up was a circus.
    I remember hearing about it but I can't recall what the exact details were. It struck me that her federation told her to leave him and he was blindsided about this - no? I admit, I've not paid much attention. Perhaps because I historically have only really "followed" US skaters. I tried to stay out of the fray on the newgroups about Yu-na v. Mao and who was better etc. I guesss I just tuned it all out.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    I remember hearing about it but I can't recall what the exact details were. It struck me that her federation told her to leave him and he was blindsided about this - no? I admit, I've not paid much attention. Perhaps because I historically have only really "followed" US skaters. I tried to stay out of the fray on the newgroups about Yu-na v. Mao and who was better etc. I guesss I just tuned it all out.
    That's really the best way to have gone about it, as all those things are ugly. The details of and reasons for the split are unclear, but yes, the impression was that Orser was blindsided about it. The fact that YuNa would not have him be her coach for this season was communicated to him by her mother in August, although neither YuNa or Mom made a public announcement, and in his hurt, he notified various media outlets about it. He speculated that it was the Mom's choice, and in reply YuNa went to Twitter and tweeted that Orser should "stop to tell a lie", and it was she who had decided to leave. YuNa also hinted at one point that Orser "knew" why. We don't really know why, to this day. And then there was further mudslinging and speculation from fans who took one side or the other. That's as best as I can sum it up.

Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    It's not just the tears on the podium that surprised me, but her facial expression after she hugged Miki.
    What was the expression after she hugged Miki?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    What was the expression after she hugged Miki?
    Right after she turned away from Miki she looked disgusted and muttered something to herself.

At 5:02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD8Uu...el_video_title
    Last edited by volk; 05-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Competing in order to support figure skating in Korea and her federation should be secondary concerns. I hope Yuna is not doing this mainly out of a sense of obligation or responsibility. She can coast along at her currently subdued level and get a few more medals at upcoming Worlds. But that would be disappointing. She's better than that and should not settle for anything less if she's going to continue on to Sochi.

But I'm worried there is nothing that could possibly rekindle her competitive fire back to how it was before the Olympics. It seems impossible once you've reached that summit.
    I agree. Yuna is an enigma, we really don't know much about her as a person, the press coverage is superficial. I wish a highly regarded newspaper or magazine could get permission to do an in-depth interview with Yuna, one that pulled aside the veil and revealed the girl beneath the figure skating star visage. I have no idea why Yuna cried at the Worlds medal ceremony, but the explanations offered so far seem incomplete to me. If she was truly happy, she would have been smiling through her tears (like at the Olympics) not frowning. Her expression through her tears looked sad to me, but where the sadness was coming from is a mystery. I doubt it was about the color of the medal, more likely she was sad due to other factors that we are not privy to.

It's possible that Yuna was overwhelmingly exhausted both physically and emotionally and perhaps the medal ceremony didn't give her the feeling of accomplishment that she was hoping it would. Perhaps she felt all the confusion about her life's goals now and all the pressure she still feels from her country were just too much to bear anymore.
    Last edited by jatale; 05-07-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Right after she turned away from Miki she looked disgusted and muttered something to herself.

She sure did! Poor sport?

Banned
    Hmm.. How about if there is something else behind her tears? No woman, no cry. She is a 20yo woman who has been under abnormal pressure from everyone during the last year, with all splits up, rumors, press stalking, etc. Maybe she just got tired, and the always emotional medal ceremony just gave all the stress the way out. I am not a very big fan of Yuna or any other girl, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1 View Post
    Well, Yuna lost to Mao last year. she didn't cry. she didn't look muttered or disgusted. So, what's big deal? *roll-eyes*

Quote Originally Posted by Jo1 View Post
    I watched and checked at 5:02.

I saw Yuna skate up to Miki with a smile and give her a hug. I saw no frown or bad expression or anything resembling poor sportsmanship.

I guess I need slo-mo replay to catch it
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-07-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    Well, Yuna lost to Mao last year. she didn't cry. she didn't look muttered or disgusted. So, what's big deal? *roll-eyes*
    Is it possible that Yuna considers Mao a legitmate rival but not Miki? It's ok to lose to Mao, but frustrating to lose to somebody subpar to her standard? Just guessing.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Unless we know what she muttered, I don't think we should make ourselves believe that she's that rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I watched and checked at 5:02.

I saw Yuna skate up to Miki with a smile and give her a hug. I saw no frown or bad expression or anything resembling poor sportsmanship.

I agree. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I just looked like the smile was naturally disappearing from her face and her muttering what might possibly be the last words of congratulations. If you're comparing her smile& hug portion to that of Carolina Kostner's, she might be a little less "happy", but still, I don't think it was in hostility or disgust.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 05-07-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    +1.

S-u-u-per slo-motion.

Can we get back to discussing who stole whose dress designer now?

Well, Fleur Delacour stole Alexander McQueen's wedding dress design for her wedding in the most recent Harry Potter movie.

Err. Sorry. The costume designer did.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Well, Fleur Delacour stole Alexander McQueen's wedding dress design for her wedding in the most recent Harry Potter movie.

Err. Sorry. The costume designer did.
    On the subject of costumes/dresses... the lady-in-red trend for Worlds has been broken :D Mik had a black dress ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    On the subject of costumes/dresses... the lady-in-red trend for Worlds has been broken :D Mik had a black dress ;D
    Oh my goodness ... you're right! It's quite fitting since the last time a World Champ didn't wear a red costume was Shizuka Arakawa in 2004 with a black dress.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast