Sonia Bianchetti Garbato's take on Moscow | Golden Skate

Sonia Bianchetti Garbato's take on Moscow

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
http://www.soniabianchetti.com/writings_wonderful_worlds.html

I would've liked to hear more about her thoughts on the Shibutanis, but overall I agree with her :)

Patrick perfectly represents what I would define as the ideal male skater. Excellent in technique as well as in the artistic side of our beautiful sport, without becoming feminine. Thank you, Patrick, for the intense artistic emotion you gave me.

(On Takahashi) He is a very appealing and charismatic skater, with a great personality. It is really sad that he could not perform at his best because of this accident.

Miki Ando of Japan won the world title for the second time. In the short program, she placed second, very close to Yu-Na Kim of Korea. But in my opinion, her short program, skated to The Mission, was the best of the day. All her jumps were of the highest quality, as well as her step sequences and spins. It was a beautiful and romantic program, skated with a lot of class. She should have been given first place.

About her
http://www.soniabianchetti.com/about_sonia.html

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Sonia is a little bit harsh on Yu Na. Yu Na didn't display the level of technical brilliance she showed last year, but artistically she was as good or better than before, in my opinion. Sonia mentions the unfamiliar music. This is one of the problems with only skating a program once. I'm sure Michelle's Red Violin program was unfamiliar to most people the first time she skated it, but by Worlds it was not and the brilliance of the performance could be fully appreciated. I hope Yu Na comes back with her long program and skates it to its full potential. But sadly, I think she willl not.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
(On the limited number of jumping paths and the zero-count incidents) one has to wonder whether these rules make sense or if they should be reconsidered. Is it appropriate to expect the skaters have a computer in their head instead of a brain? How can we expect the competitors to interpret, express and live their music with their hearts if their main concern must be to count the number of positions or revolutions in the spins, or remember whether they still have the right to repeat a fallen jump in a combination? I do think that it is time that the "Long Program" went back to being a "Free Skating Program", without too many strings and limitations. In my opinion, there should be a minimum number of elements that are required and then the skaters should be left free to choose which additional elements they want to perform. Some may say: this is going back to the past. Well, changes are not always for the best. It is important to realise this and have the courage to change again.

Well Oda will be happy with her suggestion!!

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
jenaj, I think your sentiment is pretty much what Sonia is saying. Because the Korean folk song is an unfamiliar piece, the program could have benefited from more time to grow (on her, the judges and the audience), just like Red Violin (loved that program- the SA version especially, before some choreography was simplified).

I too hope she will reuse the program! And Takahashi his long! Mao her long!

MagicFairy

On the Ice
wow, Is this the first time Sonia didn´t budger about the lower ranked skaters in her worlds articles? That would be a wonder! Usually she always wants to eliminate them from competing at the world championships!

prettykeys

Medalist
Yes, I get the sense that Sonia Bianchetti is only expressing what her impression was of YuNa's LP. If it was unfamiliar and less-than-stellar in her eyes, I think she means it with full sympathy towards YuNa. I find it fascinating, personally, because it is impossible for me not to be biased and unfamiliar with Arirang. I fell in love with the LP instantly and consider it an upgrade of a program to Gershwin!

I was hoping for more about her dislikes of the CoP. I like it when someone is not afraid to find fault with the system. Others will agree to anything that is CoP sacred.

Here she just gave her opinions of beautiful skating. I agree with her about Chan. How could anyone think differently? But for the Ladies, it was Kostner for me. Not about placements, but about beautiful lady skating.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I was hoping for more about her dislikes of the CoP.

Incidentally, Sonia and I have been emailing back and forth about combining our pool of contacts in order to get a record number of people to sign my proposed CoP changes (the closest version that everyone can come to agreement upon anyway) and submit them to ISU as a large coordinated push from a source outside of an individual member Nation. I have submitted in the past, as have others (and we have seen changes here and there as a result), but I believe this would be the most concentrated effort ever since CoP came about.

But for the Ladies, it was Kostner for me.

Have you officially joined the "Kostner should have won the LP" train, then? Please say yes. We can't live in a World where you think Alena Leonova deserved 1st. :)

Incidentally, Sonia and I have been emailing back and forth about combining our pool of contacts in order to get a record number of people to sign my proposed CoP changes (the closest version that everyone can come to agreement upon anyway) and submit them to ISU as a large coordinated push from a source outside of an individual member Nation. I have submitted in the past, as have others (and we have seen changes here and there as a result), but I believe this would be the most concentrated effort ever since CoP came about.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

I really like all of your proposals, especially (a) the new list of base values reflecting the difficulty of each combination separately, and (b) the extra free slots in the LP.

fscric

On the Ice
What a great read! It's especially great that to read that she gave Patrick Chan's SP 5.9/6.0 had it be been graded under the 6.0 system, and that his LP moved her to tears.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Pool of contacts, eh? :)

Krislite

Medalist

[...]

Good work! But what are the chances the ISU even implements a smidgen of your proposals? As a whole they represent a significant change to CoP.

Good work! But what are the chances the ISU even implements a smidgen of your proposals? As a whole they represent a significant change to CoP.

Don't think like that, Krislite. You never know. A good effort might lead to something. It's always worth trying, and Blades has nothing to lose by making such an attempt. Blades, keep us posted. The ISU does make periodic changes to the CoP, and the changes have to be thought up by someone. Why not you? I don't know whether you serve in any capacity in the skating hierarchy in real life, but you're certainly a well-informed and diligent fan. Go for it!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Yeah, it has to be voted upon by ISU Congress. All we can do is try to make as strong a case as possible for why the changes need to happen and hope to persuade the voters. I definitely need to lobby to as many coaches, skaters, and choreographers as possible to sign.

The new base values for this season were nearly identical to what I've submitted to ISU before (not those poorly skewed -GOE values, though). I also submitted the idea of "a feature in a spin can't count more than once per performance", as well as changes of edge in spin not being worth points in a simple upright or sit position, and I think it's more than coincidence that those rules are now in effect. I know that other proposals submitted by individuals or small groups which got accepted include: defining the sit spin such that the skaters butt is actually down at knee level or lower (voted in 2008), reducing the numbner of spins in the LP (voted in 2009), abolishing levels on elements (voted in 2010...although only for one element of the LP), and not allowing Pairs teams to execute the same kind of Death Spiral in their SP and LP (voted in 2010).

brightphoton

Medalist
She's very bright, articulate lady. It's like what I was thinking, except more eloquent and reasoned out.

How does one join the Pool?

Have you officially joined the "Kostner should have won the LP" train, then? Please say yes. We can't live in a World where you think Alena Leonova deserved 1st. :)
No - Miki should have won according to the CoP. I am opining that Kostner had the most beautiful skate of the Ladies. It's just my taste, and I also thought Alene had the most bravado skate of the ladies.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I was hoping for more about her dislikes of the CoP. I like it when someone is not afraid to find fault with the system. Others will agree to anything that is CoP sacred.

I guess she is ok with the scoring this time. I've always liked her. Ha, she didn't even mention three American men who were at the worlds. I guess she doesn't have strong disagreement on Miner's 11th place placement.;) It's cool that she thinks Patrick should be in first in LP!:rock:

What do those numbers mean: .7; 1.4; 2.1?

I hope they don't mean that expressive anger should be shown as upper body display?